Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe China New Frame Revealed "nezha"? (Update) [Megathread]

DonGucciRice

Oh, I know. They're all ridiculous, but at least they aren't completely tied to fictional/historical characters:

I mean, Chroma is based off of dragons, but he himself is not a dragon. He breathes all sorts of S#&$, but has affinity for the specific elements he chooses. He's the all-round elemental shaman, with a dragon pelt that can come to life. It's not like they called him Smaug and based all of his abilities on being grumpy and 'aving loads e'money.

Ash may be an exception, but he isn't one specific notorious fictional ninja character (e.g. Smoke, from Mortal Kombat. Though, ironically, Smoke was Ash's original name after Ninja). Point is that he's just a ninja.

We don't know archer-frame's name yet. Can't judge that one.

Again, Mesa is based off of the concept of cowboys, but not one specific cowboy.

Wukong is actually Sun Wukong.

But whatever. Take it as you will. I just think it's way over the acceptable limit of silly.

Yeah, we'll have to see. Maybe the explanation we get will also explain the specifics on warframe creation and thus how in hell you get a Chinese deity from the void.

Chroma creates dragon wings. Ash throws shurikens and has hidden arm blades, mesa is dependent on guns for offense. Guess that means she came out the void that way.You are losing your crap over cloud concealment and a bo. Edited by UrielColtan

Chroma creates dragon wings. Ash throws shurikens and has hidden arm blades, mesa is dependent on guns for offense. Guess that means she came out the void that way.You are losing your crap over cloud concealment and a bo.

Hardly. I just think it's dumb that Wukong is Wukong.

I mean, it's not like Loki is actually the Norse god, and Atlas doesn't carry a planet on his shoulders, and Nyx isn't actually the night.

Edited by IANOBW

I can understand this.

Although I love the new designs, a lot of the new Warframes are almost, how do you put it, too specific? Basing them off of simple concepts makes sense, but basing them entirely off of characters in mythology is kinda silly.

I mean, you could argue that Atlas is a based off of said world-carrier in Greek mythology, but his concepts are mostly drawn from brawling and earth control. Atlas is just his name, which relates to him, but not entirely.

Wukong is literally Sun Wukong. Same goes for this one.

Yeah, this is my main issue with the chinese lore based frames, they're drawing a bit too heavily and explicitly from their source material imo, it's making for rather random and kind of poorly thought out powersets.

I mean sure we've got Excalibur, Loki, Nyx, Oberon, & Atlas but the only case I can think of a power being directly drawn from the mythology is Exal's Blinding Flash.  Making the entire frame and abilities directly around the mythology just doesn't seem like a good idea at all. 

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever, what does it even have to do with my statement?

Effigy still makes use of Chroma's multi-elemental thematic, the pelt is merely a gimmick (I don't even know how the wings are relevant, being just aesthetics).

Ash's shurikens are consistent with his theme of stereorypical ninja that focuses on high physical damage.

I never said anything about unique weapons in fact, all these frames have their powers consistent with each other and follow a thematic on their own, if anything Vauban is the better example since all of his abilities are grenades that each focuses or has CC capabilities.

Wukong doesn't have any consistency whatsoever, his powers weren't designed around a theme but a name and they make no sense next to each other as a result.

They have powers that fit a motif of no accidental making, it fits a planned design, that is the point. You think it makes sense that effigy is dragon wings or that Ash summons shurikens? Or that archer uses a bow specific to her frame and Mesa uses pistols specific to her frame? You think the two came out the void weilding those? Edited by UrielColtan

Hardly. I just think it's dumb that Wukong is Wukong.

I mean, it's not like Loki is actually the Norse god, and Atlas doesn't carry a planet on his shoulders, and Nyx isn't actually the night.

But he isn`t the real Wukong, you just keep saying this to ignore the fact that he doesn`t actually contradict other Warframe abilities.

I think it's official, Uriel, that you have no idea whatsoever of what's the gripe that is being had with Wukong's power design.

Answer the questions.

Edited by UrielColtan

But he isn`t the real Wukong, you just keep saying this to ignore the fact that he doesn`t actually contradict other Warframe abilities.

Answer the questions.

It's the fact that ALL of his abilities are so BLATANTLY like this ONE SPECIFIC CHARACTER that's bothering him, and it's a fair point, I'd say.

I mean, if we had a character that could fly, breath frost, run super fast, and shoot lasers from his eyes all in the SAME kit with the name Kal'el, I think there'd be issues with that - aside from the regular legal issues.

Answer the questions.

Make questions that make sense within the context of the situation to begin with.

I and others are expressing our dissapointment in wukong's ability design from a development standpoint and we have already explained why. You seem to be compltely ignoring that, your questions have nothing to do with the topic at hand

Seriously, Morec0 and pretty much everyone else gets the point, agree or disagree with the opinion.

Edited by RahuHordika

But he isn`t the real Wukong, you just keep saying this to ignore the fact he doesn`t actually contradict other Warframe abilities.

Look, nobody has an issue with the physicality of his powers. They are fine.

Here, what if I put it this way.

Loki is called so because he is a trickster, not because he gets wasted and procreates with animals.

Atlas is called so because he is strong, not because the flat-Earth is glued to his traps.

Nyx is called so because she manipulates people. She doesn't posses an ability to turn the universe around and give birth to almost 20 children.

Wukong has the exact abilities of Sun Wukong. He is Wukong. This is the issue. It's not something you can really contest.

It's the fact that ALL of his abilities are so BLATANTLY like this ONE SPECIFIC CHARACTER that's bothering him, and it's a fair point, I'd say.

I mean, if we had a character that could fly, breath frost, run super fast, and shoot lasers from his eyes all in the SAME kit with the name Kal'el, I think there'd be issues with that - aside from the regular legal issues.

No, the other abilites are not really distinct at all. Even the stealth cloud isn`t necessarily. The main distinction is the shape changing bo, yet its not the only weapon specific to a frame and is something that even Sci fi like Midnight Eye Goke has mimicked without literally being Wukongs bo.

It's good to know that my salt managed to spark a good discussion here. I was worried I was going to log onto the forums to see a barrage of fecal matter tossed at me for saying that the current generation of warframes are getting a bit too derived and becoming more akin to characters instead of suits.

Make questions that make sense within the context of the situation to begin with.

I and others are expressing our dissapointment in wukong's ability design from a development standpoint and we have already explained why. You seem to be compltely ignoring that, your questions have nothing to do with the topic at hand

Seriously, Morec0 and pretty much everyone else gets the point, agree or disagree with the opinion.

The questions are pretty straight forward, answer them.

Look, nobody has an issue with the physicality of his powers. They are fine.

Here, what if I put it this way.

Loki is called so because he is a trickster, not because he gets wasted and procreates with animals.

Atlas is called so because he is strong, not because the flat-Earth is glued to his traps.

Nyx is called so because she manipulates people. She doesn't posses an ability to turn the universe around and give birth to almost 20 children.

Wukong has the exact abilities of Sun Wukong. He is Wukong. This is the issue. It's not something you can really contest.

Nice distraction, but I didn`t say anything about those frames being literal.

Pay attention to the frames I brought up.

The questions are pretty straight forward, answer them.

No, because you still fail to grasp the concept of the situation. Let me spread it out for you:

-No one gives a crap about wukong having a unique weapon, I don't know where you got that idea that you keep pushing.

-No one is arguing about the physicality of his powers, it's all from a development design standpoint.

-The disspointment comes from the fact that he is just wukong. His powers have no consistent theme and have no relation to each other, they seem to have been literally stapled together based merely on the name contrary to every single other warframe that has consistency between the powers and was then named something that fits. This comes of as rather uninspired/lacking of creativity which is why it's dissapointing.

One cannot be any clearer than that.

Edited by RahuHordika

Nice distraction, but I didn`t say anything about those frames being literal.

Pay attention to the frames I brought up.

Ok.

Mesa is called so because she is a cowboy/girl, not because she is a literal mesa.

Chroma is called so because his abilities are derived from the visible spectrum. He also happens to be dragonic in nature. Nothing wrong with this. It's creative and not unoriginal.

Ash is called so because of his ability to disappear in combat and suddenly be scattered everywhere. He isn't actually a pile of ash, surprisingly enough.

Will this suffice? Something tells me you still aren't getting it.

Ok.

Mesa is called so because she is a cowboy/girl, not because she is a literal mesa.

Chroma is called so because his abilities are derived from the visible spectrum. He also happens to be dragonic in nature. Nothing wrong with this. It's creative and not unoriginal.

Ash is called so because of his ability to disappear in combat and suddenly be scattered everywhere. He isn't actually a pile of ash, surprisingly enough.

Will this suffice? Something tells me you still aren't getting it.

Dont recall stating that Mesa is an actual mesa to begin with. Apparently you don`t read too well.

You`re also too stuck on names and not execution of themes and abilities.

Edited by UrielColtan

No, because you still fail to grasp the concept of the situation. Let me spread it out for you:

-No one gives a crap about wukong having a unique weapon, I don't know where you got that idea that you keep pushing.

-No one is arguing about the physicality of his powers, it's all from a development design standpoint.

-The disspointment comes from the fact that he is just wukong. His powers have no consistent theme and have no relation to each other, they seem to have been literally stapled together based merely on the name contrary to every single other warframe that has consistency between the powers and was then named something that fits. This comes of as rather uninspired/lacking of creativity which is why it's dissapointing.

One cannot be any clearer than that.

Your thrid point does not coalesce with the first two as rationalizing the science behind such abilitues would not literally make the character Wukong. I was also responding to the a Zariman child went into the void and came out wukong noise. The othet frames I mentioned are very on the nose and under this willfully ignorant logic we are expected to believe the chilrdren came out the void weilding shurikens pistols and bows? That a kid had bot dragon breath and created wings that can actually fly?

Three of wukongs abilities relate to a yellow energy he manipulates, and one is a supplementary stealth ability.Not seeing the big deal. His abilities are as consistent as Ash or Mesa, who merely follow an archetyple motif, not a logicaly related power.

What does summoning shutikens and hidden blades have to do with smoke, how does smokemake you teleport?

Edited by UrielColtan

Your thrid point does not coalesce with the first two as rationalizing the science behind such abilitues would not literally make the character Wukong. I was also responding to the a Zariman child went into the void and came out wukong noise. The othet frames I mentioned are very on the nose and under this willfully ignorant logic we are expected to believe the chilrdren came out the void weilding shurikens pistols and bows? That a kid had bot dragon breath and created wings that can actually fly?

Three of wukongs abilities relate to a yellow energy he manipulates, and one is a supplementary stealth ability.Not seeing the big deal. His abilities are as consistent as Ash or Mesa, who merely follow an archetyple motif, not a logicaly related power.

What does summoning shutikens and hidden blades have to do with smoke, how does smoke.make you teleport? What do pistols have to do with deflective sheilds and blinding enemies?

I doubt it would be very surprising if the Orokin created technological devices that allows frames to better use their powers? A thing to consider is that Mesa's thumbs are the firing hammers for her Regulator pistols. If you have a person capable of teleporting with great precision would it then not make sense to give them a means of stabbing things with?

Edited by Ory_Hara

Assumptions aside about Ash(it appears to me that Ashs blades are actually his power and not weapons he was fitted with) and Mesa, you are now understanding that excuses can be made to explain the on the nose motifs of frames or their wild diverse abilities that are only relevant to an archetypal theme like a Ninja as opposed to a power relative one. The children did not have to come out of the void already weilding pistols or bows.

Edited by UrielColtan

Yeah, this is my main issue with the chinese lore based frames, they're drawing a bit too heavily and explicitly from their source material imo, it's making for rather random and kind of poorly thought out powersets.

I mean sure we've got Excalibur, Loki, Nyx, Oberon, & Atlas but the only case I can think of a power being directly drawn from the mythology is Exal's Blinding Flash.  Making the entire frame and abilities directly around the mythology just doesn't seem like a good idea at all. 

Well, it may not be a good idea for where you're from, but it's not meant for you, or me, or anyone in the global build. It's meant for the Chinese audience, so it's absolutely appropriate and "good".