Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Get Started With Textures In Tennogen

loo10ant

I've noticed a few people have had trouble getting started so i made a video showing the basics, but i'll also go through the steps below:

1.Open Tennogen

2.Go to Help at the top right

3.Click "Content Files and Examples"

4.Pick whichever Weapon or Ship you want to edit and click Download

5.Extract the Downloaded Zip files into a folder

6.Go back to view on the Tennogen

7.At the very bottom click the first icon to the left of the bar to import

8.Locate the directory you just exported to and open the weapon or skin's .obj file

9.Click on the weapon and a tab to the right should appear showing material

10.Click the Checkered Area beside Diffuse and locate [Weapon Name]_Diffuse.png. For example Gorgon_Diffuse.png

11.Click the Checkered Area beside Normal and locate [Weapon Name]_Normal.png. For example Gorgon_Normal.png

12.Do the Same for the next two but for [Weapon Name]_AO.png and [Weapon Name]_Curve.png

13.For Tint Mask, which contains the Colours you will need to open Photoshop

13.5.Make Sure you have the SuperPNG Plugin for Photoshop before continuing

14.Hold Shift and drag [Weapon Name]_Mask.png. For Example Gorgon_Mask.png into photoshop

15.Select "Alpha appears as Separate Channel" on the Popup that appears

16.Click on "Channels" in Photoshop. There should be four called RGB,Blue,Green And Red

17.Click the "New Channel" button at the bottom to the left of the Trash Can. It should call itself Alpha 1

18.Click File and Save as. Then Save the edited file as [Weapon Name]_Mask1.png and make sure the file format is a superPNG file. When you click save make sure alpha channel says Alpha 1.

19.Go back to Tennogen and click on the tint mask box again. Locate the amended file and open it

20.Change the colours around to mess around with the basics of recolouring.

This isn't too advanced and i cover a little more advanced stuff in my video, but this should give you a good starting block and i hope you go on to create some awesome textures

https://youtu.be/EAoQNd-PdI4

Thank you, but following your steps exactly I still wasnt able to get a functioning tint mask, maybe it's because I'm using an outdated version of photoshop but I am using the superpng plugin still.

Can you tell me the exact problem and which model's tint mask you are trying to get to work?

Thank you, but following your steps exactly I still wasnt able to get a functioning tint mask, maybe it's because I'm using an outdated version of photoshop but I am using the superpng plugin still.

Try following this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/550360-so-how-does-one-get-started-on-tennogen-skins/#entry6188208

I did a crude image-based tutorial of it.

Can you tell me the exact problem and which model's tint mask you are trying to get to work?

Thanks guys but I was correct in my assumption: I updated my version of Photoshop and it works just like in the video/instructions. I guess CS3 just couldnt keep up anymore

Thanks guys but I was correct in my assumption: I updated my version of Photoshop and it works just like in the video/instructions. I guess CS3 just couldnt keep up anymore

That's odd. Nothing related to this has really changed since CS3, unless SuperPNG doesn't support it anymore.

the color map is doing my head in.

HOYwnSF.jpg

For some reason the moment I switch to a darker color on the tint the dark tones from the diffuse map starts bleeding thru.

If I could figure out how this damn tint works in substance designer that might help but no idea how that works.

the color map is doing my head in.

HOYwnSF.jpg

For some reason the moment I switch to a darker color on the tint the dark tones from the diffuse map starts bleeding thru.

If I could figure out how this damn tint works in substance designer that might help but no idea how that works.

I'm not sure about how substance works,but if it's anything like maya (node based), you don't change the tone of the channels. You pull the data from each channel to mask another attribute of your shader. Think of that image as 3 individual greyscale masks that happen to be grouped in one file (image file).

So Gimp from past experience is really clunky, and I don't have photoshop, but one of the programs suggested in the warframe tennogen guide is Krita which I recently downloaded and found I really liked it. Do you happen to know a way to edit things (like getting the alpha channel separate) properly? (I'd really appreciate it)

One thing I noticed, which means I must have some setting or done something wrong, when I make the alpha channel in the channel palette the background is red not black? One other question if lets say I wanted to put a chainmail texture do I need to paint on a bump map as well or are we just painting on the tint mask?

I follow your tutorial but all color can be change exept the 4th, can you help me ?

Look at the Alpha channel in gimp, if it is completely black with out any white or grey areas, then the reason is simply that their is nothing that it can change color of, so first you will need to add some white or grey areas before the 4th channel in tennogen will change the color of anything.

One thing I noticed, which means I must have some setting or done something wrong, when I make the alpha channel in the channel palette the background is red not black? One other question if lets say I wanted to put a chainmail texture do I need to paint on a bump map as well or are we just painting on the tint mask?

Not sure about the first part.

well if you intend the gun to look as if it is bumpy you'd probably want to play around with the normal map in order to trick the game into shining light onto the object in a way which makes it look more high definition, but without a Hi poly model to bake to, it would be hard to do so. If you just bring your chainmail texture onto the alpha mask then play around with masking certain parts of the texture and changing opacity to suit it, you should be able to make a good attempt at it :)

So Gimp from past experience is really clunky, and I don't have photoshop, but one of the programs suggested in the warframe tennogen guide is Krita which I recently downloaded and found I really liked it. Do you happen to know a way to edit things (like getting the alpha channel separate) properly? (I'd really appreciate it)

Sorry for the late reply; I couldn't get Krita to do what i wanted it to do so i sort of gave up on it. GIMP is the easiest program to use for Channel editing but i agree that Krita is a really good program, it doesn't complicate things as much as GIMP. Sorry i couldn't be of assistance