Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Galleon Lighting... Aka "can't See Sh** Captain!".

SoanoS

I am currently experiencing some problems with some of the Grineer tilesets, especially the Galleon. It is kind of a serious one, I mean, I would enjoy the tileset much more if I could actually SEE something. But currently the lighting is a bit screwy in some areas, and it is literally impossible to see where I am going. On Grineer Galleons the conditions are borderline unplayable for me.

An example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=574740327 (forum doesn't allow posting image links with he extension apparently).

Yeah, wouldn't everyone agree that's a bit too dark. No, I have not got a Volt in my squad that broke all the lights, those are the lighting conditions on Grineer Galleon "au naturel". But it gets EVEN DARKER if it is an Infested alert.

The automatic flashlight behaviour is way too sporadic to be any help as it keeps turning itself off all the time.

Before anyone suggests I turn the brightness up on my monitor/in game, I would like to add that all the other tile sets currently light up normally and that would make Corpus and Orokin tilesets unnaturally bright. Additionally the textures will start looking very washed-out and grainy, and I mean Quake 1 in "software rendering mode" and Gamma turned all the way up grainy.

So I am asking if anyone is aware or has this same problem as I do. And if there are any steps to resolve it.

The video card is Nvidia GeForce GTX760

nope, I have same problem with certain tilesets when they are out of light. Not only that I do not get a flashlight sometimes but its usually either pitch-black or so bright that my eyes hurt PBR'd.

I guess the only way to "solve" it is DE finishing PBR with all tilesets, but that will take a while.

This really needs to change. Night vision is a must now. People need to stop insisting we change our graphics settings for every mission just because one or two tilesets have poorly-designed lighting.

It doesn't add to the atmosphere, either.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Agree with OP; changes have been made to the tilesets and game engine that have changed lighting significantly in some areas.

I'm sure he's played with brightness - The problem with tweaking levels is that other tilesets become very bright, like Europa. Simply put, the contrast doesn't fall in the right range. On a properly colour corrected monitor, you shouldn't be having to monkey around with brightness.

Plus, individuals will have different screens, or vision that doesn't actually cope with fast shifts in contrast or colour (who doesn't have [a certain animation company with a mouse ear logo] colour correction turned off?). Brightness tweaking is a workaround, but not the answer to everything. Some people's screenshots look very weird on my colour balanced and contrast adjusted screen.

In short, we play this game a lot, so shifts in colour and brightness between tilesets are very noticable. When a patch changes a tileset from what we are used to, we notice. I'd single out some rooms in particular in the Galleon tileset, and some areas on Earth at night that suffer from very obscure lightsources, even with all the proper graphics options turned on.

Edit: "Can't see SHIP, Captain!" - Fixed that for you :)

Edited by Guest

...have you tried bumping up your brightness setting?

I mean, look at this.

25%

50%

75%

It quite literally is different as day and night.

Ain't nobody got time to change their brightness setting every other tile. I shouldn't have to change them between missions, and I sure as hell shouldn't have to change them within a single mission. Some tiles are properly lit, and other tiles are virtually blacked out. This needs to be fixed, "lol just change ur settings" isn't a solution.

Oh, and I have the brightness maxed in my settings at all times, and still end up in tiles where I can't see anything without using Chaos as a targeting beacon.

Edited by 00zau

Well, I'd have to blame my screen then, because having brightness set to about 60%, everything is bright "just enough" not to hamper my performance without blindingly bright tiles caused by increased brightness.

I'm going to leave this thread by saying "works fine for me", though I have troubles believing in pitch black tiles like these shown by the OP with brightness set anything but 0%.

And I used the same tile as the OP to show different effects of brightness.

Edited by Mofixil

+1 OP

while i DO think infested tilesets should have some form of haze/fog to reduce vision, along with those flying swarms...

but currently these pitch black dark tiles are just 'meh'

if DE had gone a different direction with the game and/or the infested, then maybe this would/could have worked, but the way the game is now atm? not rly

• 2 weeks later...

It depends, overall the pbr is right on and really polished, i was doing archwing dual defense last night on a corpus ship, and the changes of lightning between the hangar and the corridor are spot on, really smooth light transition. Just give them time. They are always checking that stuff out