The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Feel About The Truth Regarding The Tenno ?(Second Dream Quest Spoilers)

Duyet

After finishing the quest, I didn't feel like playing the Warframe as much as I used to. I thought the Tenno were supposed to be the badass and highly-trained ninjas that they appeared to be, but it turned out that they are just a bunch of handicapped, emo kids controlling suits from a safe distance. That isn't cool, like at all!

Please don't hate me for what I think. What's your opinion?

Well, sorta always knew they were like... children. It was kinda hinted here and there. So it wasnt surprising when they confirmed it in U18. I just dont like the attitude and behavior of the operator... it is not one that that a kid who went through all that war trauma and training would have.

My opinion? The Second Dream left more questions than answers.

The quest fleshed out who the Tenno are, but only glossed over what a Warframe truly is. There is a codex where a prototype Rhino went on a rampage through a research facility, devouring any researchers it captured. Then there is the simple act of free will when the frame destroyed War, when it had lost its connection to the Tenno...that fact alone keeps me playing, as half the mystery is still unsolved.

While I had a total fangirl moment during the end of the quest, I'm a little fuzzy on certain details and still wanting more information on the Warframes themselves.

Personally don't see why our Operators are making the Warframes come talk to them to handle Focus points, why they keep talking to us during missions (especially the misplaced lines - let's find supplies during a capture?  Far better suited to a mission objective change than anything else.) 

More cosmetics for the Tenno would be amazing as well - maybe eventually have them doing free roam and maturing physically. 

The child Tenno controls the Warframe, but the Warframe also moved on its own during a catastrophic situation. I highly doubt The Second Dream is the whole story, if Rhino's codex is also to be taken into consideration.

Personally? Blew my gorram MIND.

I think it's pretty cool that we have confirmation that the Warframes are armored meat-puppets controlled by stone-cold murderers in child bodies. It adds a bit of a chilling sensation to the game universe when you imagine it from the enemy's perspective, and it helps bring back that dark and desolate atmosphere the game had when I first started out. 

The quest fleshed out who the Tenno are, but only glossed over what a Warframe truly is. There is a codex where a prototype Rhino went on a rampage through a research facility, devouring any researchers it captured. Then there is the simple act of free will when the frame destroyed War, when it had lost its connection to the Tenno...that fact alone keeps me playing, as half the mystery is still unsolved.

I haven't read anything about prototype Rhino before but sometime I feel like the Operator is talking to us warframe. They(we) are controlling the warframe but they talk to it as if it has it's own mind somehow. I may be over thinking this but this is what I feel like when they talk to us.

I don't have issues with the revelation. I do have issues with the dialogue they speak. I wish they were given better lines.

Same here. When my tenno started speaking to me during missions, it just seemed so out of place. Everything he said felt completely misplaced for the game. At least they made it possible to shut him up, but still. 

I haven't read anything about prototype Rhino before but sometime I feel like the Operator is talking to us warframe. They(we) are controlling the warframe but they talk to it as if it has it's own mind somehow. I may be over thinking this but this is what I feel like when they talk to us.

It should be under the Rhino Prime codex. The escaped experiment clad in metal they refer to is an assumed prototype Rhino using Iron Skin, literally eating the flesh of researchers it came across, until one of the survivng researchers made it to the wing associated with the Tenno and the freak accident aboard the Zarimen Ten-0.

Edit: Just reread it, it appears that Warframes are beasts by nature, but their proximity to Tenno granted them sentience, as the Proto-Rhino halted its rampage to look at its blood stained hands when in the presence of sleeping Tenno.

Edited by PhiZero

Hey OP, you should look at it from a different perspective. The Tenno do control warframes from a distance, but while being in a warframe they still had to learn all their badass moves. Like in Avatar, where the main character was on a wheelchair and had to get accustomed to moving in a new body. In a sense, we are both ninjas and kids (kind of; I like the stone-cold murderer thing above). Not to mention that the Tenno themselves had no idea they had another body hidden in the void.

What makes more sense is that they talk to other Tenno (because co-op stuff), although it is not implemented too well, like other Tenno in a squad can't hear other operators. The quality of the lines is a completely different topic... Though I like a few of them.

Well, sorta always knew they were like... children. It was kinda hinted here and there. So it wasnt surprising when they confirmed it in U18. I just dont like the attitude and behavior of the operator... it is not one that that a kid who went through all that war trauma and training would have.

Motherly theming was hinted at for the Lotus, not that we were children.

---

Me myself I really don't like it. It's a combination of just too many things I don't think work well.

I don't like that we're completely normal and untouched by the powers of the Void in it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with us physically, we look normal, like absolutely regular people.  THESE are the "demons of the Void"? The "devil-minds" that weren't even human in the eyes of the Orokin? We LOOK JUST like them! Hell, we even have their special eyes - not necessarily golden but still. There's no good reason for them to hate and fear us, and even the reason given, that we "exude so much Void radiation it's deadly" makes zero sense since Lotus, in the end, picks us up and carries us. Lotus, the SENTIENT, the things that are supposed to be THE MOST DAMAGED by the Void, PICKS US UP AND CARRIES US WITHOUT EVEN A BIT OF TO HER. WHAT???? WHAT THE HELL WERE THE OROKIN ON ABOUT, THEN???

But I could get over this with a little work...

Then we have the fact we're children... okay, not THAT BAD. I mean, we have been in cryosleep for a while, we might not have aged, the Void might have ... Oh. Oh god. They're talking. And... my god. That voice acting is TERRIBLE. And what makes THIS such a letdown is we've SEEN VERY good acting from DE's studio up to this. Vay Hek is awesome, Alad V's great, don't even get me STARTED on Regor and Anyo's glorious tones... But then we come to these guys and they're SO bland, so childish, in both what they say and how they speak that it's just... painful. It's disappointing on so many levels. The Tenno are ancient masters of war that developed style so combat and crushed two different empires, they should NOT be talking like Hayden Christianson as Anakin Skywalker! Where's the emotion? Where's the wisdom of a grizzled veteran?

But, I can work on getting over that... hell, I can turn it off...

But what REALLY kills it for me is the simple fact we aren't even in the Warframes.

So... yeah, that's it. We're not in the Warframes, we're not at all killable through our Warframes (which, let me ask then, what the HELL happened to Mirage in Hidden Messages?), there's... There's no tension. There's no fear, no worry for us. None of the "Tenno" that Stalker's been hunting down are anything to be worried about. They're not Tenno, they're just Warframes. None of the "Tenno" being turned into Zanukas by Alad V are anything to be worried about. They're not Tenno, they're JUST Wraframes - and as the quest tells us - "cut off their heads, but they rise again", so there's ZERO reason to be worried for a Warframe! It's JUST a puppet, it may have some fragment of a personality but it's still the Operator pulling the strings. It's not it's own thing, it's an extension of the Operator... It's... nothing.

There's no peril. There's no drama. EVERYTHING that has been built up - the Lotus' concern for us during Vor's Prize, the G3 attacks, ANY of that, it's all MEANINGLESS. it has NO bearing on what we are and it. Just. Doesn't. Fit.

What DE gave us is a bad Shamalyan twist - the kind you are surprised by, NOT because you can look back and see the connecting little details that lead up to it, but because it comes SO far out of left field that it could NEVER have been predicted. It's not a continuation of the story, it's a tacked on ending.

It's poor writing, and I'm trying to get over it, I'm trying to see the good side of it, but... I can't. I really can't get into what we've been given.

And that's my problem. Not DE's, but... well, I'm the one who wants to play and enjoy the game, so I'm disappointed all the same by it.

So much great potential... wasted. And we are left with just SO many more questions that COULD have been answered by this... But, no, we had mysteries that were created literally MONTHS before this out of the BLUE to have answered... I don't CARE who Margulis is, DE, you never spoke about her before this. We never had any introduction to her before this. That's NOT how attachment works.

arent warframes disgusting almagations of space aids? like infested ;l

I actually don't hate the idea. It's unique and different from what's always done. I even like the operator talking and such.

What I don't like is how weak and out of place the operator's lines are. 90% of the time they aren't even relevant to what's going on. Like I'll kill a few enemies and then just suddenly "We fought with honor!" ... Okay dude, that's cool I guess. Not sure what made that relevant, but okay!

Run along a hallway... "My Warframe is strong!" ... This can actually be priceless when you're playing Hydroid.

"I remember these creatures from the old war, I heard they devour their victims..." - Somehow, assuming these Tenno actually remember everything they did when they actually thought they were the Warframe, this wouldn't be something they'd just now be thinking about. They'd already be familiar with dealing with the infested, so sure they have their memories again now, but it's not like this is suddenly a whole new experience now, is it?

Steps to improving this:

1: The voice actors aren't too bad, but get more, and get better writers for their lines.

2: Make the lines be more relevant, less random. The last thing we need is Ordis 2.0. Make them carry on responses with NPCs and bosses, or actually comment on the situation itself rather than just random rambling.

3: Add multiple personality types. Maybe I want a more serious character, or a more nervous/uncertain one, or a smug pompous baro-esque fancy pants, or a completely insane lunatic that laughs like a maniac while killing enemies like Mirage is depicted as doing in her quest.

4: Add a pitch editor. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the pitch/tone of the voice, and this really isn't difficult to do.

5: Add what I suggested here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/577229-spoiler-warningimproved-communication-for-teamplay-without-microphones/#entry6534440

Do that, and this will be good.

I actually don't hate the idea. It's unique and different from what's always done. I even like the operator talking and such.

What I don't like is how weak and out of place the operator's lines are. 90% of the time they aren't even relevant to what's going on. Like I'll kill a few enemies and then just suddenly "We fought with honor!" ... Okay dude, that's cool I guess. Not sure what made that relevant, but okay!

Run along a hallway... "My Warframe is strong!" ... This can actually be priceless when you're playing Hydroid.

"I remember these creatures from the old war, I heard they devour their victims..." - Somehow, assuming these Tenno actually remember everything they did when they actually thought they were the Warframe, this wouldn't be something they'd just now be thinking about. They'd already be familiar with dealing with the infested, so sure they have their memories again now, but it's not like this is suddenly a whole new experience now, is it?

Steps to improving this:

1: The voice actors aren't too bad, but get more, and get better writers for their lines.

2: Make the lines be more relevant, less random. The last thing we need is Ordis 2.0. Make them carry on responses with NPCs and bosses, or actually comment on the situation itself rather than just random rambling.

3: Add multiple personality types. Maybe I want a more serious character, or a more nervous/uncertain one, or a smug pompous baro-esque fancy pants, or a completely insane lunatic that laughs like a maniac while killing enemies like Mirage is depicted as doing in her quest.

4: Add a pitch editor. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the pitch/tone of the voice, and this really isn't difficult to do.

5: Add what I suggested here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/577229-spoiler-warningimproved-communication-for-teamplay-without-microphones/#entry6534440

Do that, and this will be good.

Now the only thing we need is the operator saying 'it's the Grineer.' But yes, more voices and more relevant lines would be great.

I like the tone of the Tenno, though. The serious, maybe even gloomy voices kind of fit the people who destroyed an entire civilisation. Morevoices would appeal to some people, but would make it harder for others to project themselves onto their character.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought they are like a cloud of pure energy getting contures and a form through the Warframes (like an armor) which affects how their amount of energy is used.. that means different suits form different ways of using that energy for different abilities

Well but it seems we're some kiddies

Edited by -dicht.Amducias-

Motherly theming was hinted at for the Lotus, not that we were children.

Wrong. That's been hinted, in my opinion pointed to very blatantly, in Ember Prime's codex entry which has been around for forever. Heck, from the first time I read Ember Prime's codex I immediately knew that the kids were us.

As for the lack of tension, it is entirely possible we can be killed while we are performing the transference with our Warframes. Let's not forget that sometimes when we take a big hit or go down our Tenno say "That... Hurts," or "The transference makes this hurt."

Wrong. That's been hinted, in my opinion pointed to very blatantly, in Ember Prime's codex entry which has been around for forever. Heck, from the first time I read Ember Prime's codex I immediately knew that the kids were us.

As for the lack of tension, it is entirely possible we can be killed while we are performing the transference with our Warframes. Let's not forget that sometimes when we take a big hit or go down our Tenno say "That... Hurts," or "The transference makes this hurt."

Again: ALL that hinted at was that they were kids ONCE. What sense did it make for us to have STILL been kids even now? NO ONE thought that.

And, sadly, it's not: recall the very beginning of the quest "cut off their heads, but they rise again" - and even Stalker knew he was right. Transference may make it hurt, but death is an impossibility for the Tenno (which, again, makes one scratch their head about Mirage's death). And without the death of the character, I fail to see the risk involved.

My best answer for that is "maybe." As the same codex refers to the Warframe as a species of human with flowing metalic skin, which is strange.

My personal feeling is that the initial Warframes, the very first Primes, were actually suits of armor that contained live Tenno.

The non-Prime "knock-off" versions and the Primes we build now do not contain Tenno, but rather a sort of semi-sentient organic mass, likely very similar to the Infested, but given shape, form and function through the Warframe and the power that the Tenno channel through it.

It makes a certain sort of sense too; by the time the Orokin decided upon using the Tenno, they were beyond desperate.  Transference and all that other good stuff took time to refine and perfect, so they took the strongest, oldest of the Tenno and crafted the Primes as both a protective tool (for Tenno and others around them) and as a means to turn the raw energy of the Void into a weapon.