The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hysteria Nerf Suggestion

Epsik-kun

Disclaimer: I have zero issues with Hysteria as I don't play Valkyr.

How about reworking the way Hysteria absorbed damage feedback works?

Instead of dealing it on Hysteria deactivation if there are enemies in range, it could transform incoming damage into a DoT effect with a capped maximum damage per second output.

This way it would put to use both Valkyr immense armor amount and Hysteria innate lifesteal as well as proposing more aggressive and berserker-like play style, where constantly attacking enemies means surviving.

Instead of dealing it on Hysteria deactivation if there are enemies in range, it could transform incoming damage into a DoT effect with a capped maximum damage per second output.
This way it would put to use both Valkyr immense armor amount and Hysteria innate lifesteal as well as proposing more aggressive and berserker-like play style, where constantly attacking enemies means surviving.

And have the Claws a range of 40m then pls.

If you want a Chroma Clone have his reach cloned too.

I play valkyr quite a lot so i'd like to just pop in my 2 cents.

While it does sound like an interesting concept, if it takes all the incoming damage and converts it into a DoT, it'll be quite enfuriating if you (for example) get hit by a bombard right before you kill him, and the DoT then ticks down to your inevitable death if there are no enemies around. 

i know, she has good mobility,but it'll still pose a danger that'd make her not fun to play unless the DoT cap is ridiculously low, but that it instead lasts for an extended amount of time.

Yes, i know fun is subjective.

Edited by nasem007

Generally always against hysteria nerfs, but this.... Depending on how high the cap is and rate of ticks, I could completely agree on this.

While it does sound like an interesting concept, if it takes all the incoming damage and converts it into a DoT, it'll be quite enfuriating if you (for example) get hit by a bombard right before you kill him, and the DoT then ticks down to your inevitable death if there are no enemies around. 

That's the point. The main problem people have with Valkyr right now - she is unable to die (unless nullifiers happened). The whole "nerf" idea is to make her able to die (and to use dat 600 armor which would suit Excal much better) but keep the immortality Hysteria provides to an extent. She still will be able to face-tank everything, but if she overdoes it and disregards CC and dodging completely - she'll die if there'll be no enemy to hit.

Also, dying yourself after killing all your enemies has awesome flavour if you ask me.

That's the point. The main problem people have with Valkyr right now - she is unable to die (unless nullifiers happened). The whole "nerf" idea is to make her able to die (and to use dat 600 armor which would suit Excal much better) but keep the immortality Hysteria provides to an extent. She still will be able to face-tank everything, but if she overdoes it and disregards CC and dodging completely - she'll die if there'll be no enemy to hit.

Also, dying yourself after killing all your enemies has awesome flavour if you ask me.

If I'm going to die, I'm bringing company. Edited by DarcnyssWolfe

Just like every other nerf valkyr thread you fail to realize her kit, minus invincibility, is very subpar. I'm all for removing god mode from hysteria bc it trivializes nearly everything and creates lots of redundancies in her kit but only if her other 3 abilities are buffed to be more effective and useful at the same time.

I had posted a similar idea a while back on a nerf valkyr thread. Make it so during hysteria you still ignore all enemy dmg but you have a constant health drain. That way playing aggressively with the life stealing claws fuels you to keep going but if you stop being aggressive you'll burn out and be more suseptable to dmg.

Right now her kit just doesn't seem good enough to support her without god mode though. Paralysis's 0.5 sec stagger is a joke for cc. Warcry might as well be a self buff only bc only 2-3 other frames can actually benefit from it. And rip line is basically just another mobility skill made irrelevant by parkour 2.0.

You also have to look at her in comparison to other frames. Valkyr has the most downsides to her tankiness. She has no cc so protecting an objective is quite difficult. She can't use any of her weapons and looses all long range capabilities. Compared to something like chroma who is nearly just as tanky if built right and still has acces to all his long range weapons and even has massive weapon dmg boosts. For all her drawbacks she needs to be able to bring something special to a group or she won't be used.

What you described in your op is exactly how a ice tank Chroma is played, with the difference that the small DoTs are direct hits by the enemies reduced by his massive armor.

Damage and armor buff somehow equals invincibility with fixed delayed damage over time. I don't think you've understood my idea correctly.

Just like every other nerf valkyr thread you fail to realize her kit, minus invincibility, is very subpar.

I am perfectly aware of that. The thing is, if her skills require anything - it would be number tweaking. And DE won't make such a major nerf without balancing it with a buff.
Also, delayed damage does not equal health drain over time, as health drain won't make you use your armour and won't make you actually try to avoid being hit.
This change, on the other hand will result in not so much different playstyle, but with the main difference being downed after every high-level big fight if you ate everything with your face and did not mod for survivability and not being downed if you either did mod for survivability or avoided being hit as much.

Also, it is a basic concept. It should be considered as a whole before you start thinking about numbers.

My initial thought about max drain rate would be 20% of Valkyr HP per second. It might be fixed at this point, or might start from 0 and go to this amount. It might scale with Valkyr health, or be a fixed number. It might bypass shields, or damage them first.

Received damage might be applied as it is, or previously diminished by 10%, 50%, 99.7%.

Life steal might only allow you to heal your current HP, or it might allow you to decrease your buffered damage amount.

Deactivating Hysteria might protect you from being killed by feedback, or it might kill you if you do so instead.

Heck, even aura part might have its uses, making player mad and slowing Valkyr tremendously if she has more damage stored than she can withstand without healing and there's no enemy inside her aura.

Don't think about numbers, don't think about rest of her kit. Think about the concept. Does it fit her or not? Does it fit into the game?

I think people that dont play her shouldnt weigh in on her skills.

I also dont think you understand shes a single target mele frame. Sure she can kill the S#&$ out of one guy. But when are you ever only fighting one guy? Also I think you forget that things scale, and in sorties, its very possible for things to out scale her mele damage, especially when they have that stupid high armor effect.

TL;DR You should stop trying to balance things around mars, and try some higher leveled content.

I also dont think you understand shes a single target mele frame. Sure she can kill the S#&$ out of one guy. But when are you ever only fighting one guy? Also I think you forget that things scale, and in sorties, its very possible for things to out scale her mele damage, especially when they have that stupid high armor effect.

Oh, I am prefectly aware of what Valkyr is capable of. In 80~100 lvl armor augment Grineer sortie maxed Excal who has insane AoE damage can barely keep up with Valkyr, and that would require constant usage of Radial Blind and very good positioning. And I yet to see my Excal outperformed by, say, Tonkor (by anyone but Valkyr tbh) user in a similar sortie.

If Valkyr knows what she does, she can shred through enemies easily and on considerable speed - don't tell me about her "single-targetness". You can mow down crowds with Boltrace which has like negative range.

And I just said, if DE ever desides to implement something like this, they won't do it without a compensating buff. It might be claw range, movement speed, tweak to mobility tools, etc.

TL;DR I didn't even tried to balance a thing. I proposed a conceptual solution to an existing questionable mechanics. You, on the other hand, are talking about balance for no apparent reason.

Edited by Epsik-kun

Damage and armor buff somehow equals invincibility with fixed delayed damage over time. I don't think you've understood my idea correctly.

I don't know if you really know how powerful the defense of Chroma can get.

With arcanes he can faceblock lvl 100 Bombard missiles without a sweat.

Even without them give him a Vakor Hek and there is you immortal terminator.

and?

So, on the one side we have a immortal melee only frame, on the other a effectively immortal frame which also gets all his weapons damage boosted and throws cold procs on top.

I don't see how Hysteria needs a nerf with this constelation. And thats even not considering the also immortal Monkey King.

Oh nice another nerf thread. Go to he.....nah don't worry, i'm not here to burst my ignis at you, or am i?

Sounds like a cool idea that forces someone to KILL and not relax inside of 20 enemies stomping at you. But then again i'd kindly appreciate a buff or rework for her other abilites. Cause right now i don't feel like playing valkyr and after your suggestion i still won't. Pretty boring gameplay if you ask me but that's just my opinion. I'm not exactly sure about warcry never used it when in hysteria, but paralyze and ripline are kinda meh.

Do anything with valkyr but don't make her weaker, that's all i want to say. (oh and, the title is wrong, really really bad naming for a title, just saying)

Removing the invincibility is a no from me, anything who makes the lifesteal and armor values have an impact while using hysteria gets my vote.

The accumulated damage being applied as a DoT is interesting IF is affected by armor but we will be pretty much at the beginning, with the lifesteal you will be pretty much invincible except if you accumulate too much damage, this solution will be a punish for staying too much time in hysteria.

Edited by Rhaenxys

Oh, I am prefectly aware of what Valkyr is capable of. In 80~100 lvl armor augment Grineer sortie maxed Excal who has insane AoE damage can barely keep up with Valkyr, and that would require constant usage of Radial Blind and very good positioning. And I yet to see my Excal outperformed by, say, Tonkor (by anyone but Valkyr tbh) user in a similar sortie.

If Valkyr knows what she does, she can shred through enemies easily and on considerable speed - don't tell me about her "single-targetness". You can mow down crowds with Boltrace which has like negative range.

And I just said, if DE ever desides to implement something like this, they won't do it without a compensating buff. It might be claw range, movement speed, tweak to mobility tools, etc.

TL;DR I didn't even tried to balance a thing. I proposed a conceptual solution to an existing questionable mechanics. You, on the other hand, are talking about balance for no apparent reason.

Because wanting something nerfed or buffed is balance.

I also dont think you get that excalibur is more overpowered, and I'm fine with that, but wheres your 'we need to fix excal, hes doing too much damage' topic?