The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I hope DE uses this weekend's Thousand Cuts event to do some analyzing on the current state of Sword Alone.

Forizenajay

If they can determine how many kills happened from what and what weapons were used I hope this data will give them an idea of some of the help and love Sword Alone needs.

They do this often with things like, Mag when Greedy Pull was the most used ability. 

I know in PVE it is "fine" and got a lot of utility from the recent Shadow Debt event.

I also know that it is currently in a very unhealthy state in PVP.

But regardless, anyone whose played this game for a while can most likely agree with the following points on melee: 

• How 99% of the kills are "spam e" kills
  • How often/impratical/no time for some pause, and hold button combos are as they require timing which in turn is also impractical when running something like berserker
  • How air melee is non existant, it's a jump attack that holds 0 momentum, you jump and slash the air in front of you with no carry (bar scythes and heavy weapons)
  • How the new Charge Attacks are extremely inefficient. One would never find a time to use them unless, looking for a large chunk of damage for a singular attack. If there were an enemy who only exposed themselves to one instance of damage before closing up, it is the ONLY time a charge attack would be optimal. currently it isn't
  • How many weapons are left in the dust. Whether it be the Silva and Aegis's sad 35 heat damage, the no further tweaks on nunchaku, how many people are just using Orthos + primed reach, or the nikana and war/broken war. 
  • How channeling needs a rework, for the only corrupted channeling mod people use is life strike, and only channel to heal up instead of as a sacrifice in warframe abilities for sword alone DPS
  • How Blocking is inefficient as blocking currently slows down your mobility, and in turn any damage you might block you could have instead gap closed to the enemy and kill them
  • Mentioned a bit in an earlier point, but how stances lock you in an UNCANCELLABLE animation that also makes you for the most part, stationary as opposed to mobile (bar a few attacks like Guiding Light from the Blind Justice stance, Final Harbringer, or the Glaive combos) 

I'm sure melee 3.0 is a ways off. But I hope they take this chance to learn some things about what the playerbase does with melee, as opposed to it just being a fun event. 

Edited by -FV-Forizen

+9999 OP

srsly channeling is pretty awful atm, and the new charge atks that they brought back are super underwhelming =[

also giving us an alt-fire melee equivalent would be super useful, and removing all of the pause/hold inputs from combos and instead just replacing them with forward/back/guard/left/right

air melee does indeed need some of its momentum back, maybe not as much as it used to have prior to bullet-jump, but at least u should move foward a full body-length

agree that blocking/parrying is pretty subpar atm, i understand that DE was just trying to compromise since we got 'inf stamina' now, but the dmg reduc numbers should prolly move up some, or give us melee mods that can supplement the stats [change the current values to 40/60/80% DR and then have a mod that can boost those by 20% at max rank of 5-10 ranks] ; on a related note the nrg drain from blocking while channeling is redonk, u can be fully drained in a few hits, yet the return on investment from that nrg is awful, since almost no dmg is reflected =/ {seems like the current channeling efficiency mods dont even help this, which is just dumb, but even if they did, it would still be terribad cuz the channeling mods r awful}

also obligatory request for the glavie-type melee to be reworked/buffed and/or have their unique mods buffed [ie they trade too much dmg for necessary QoL], would also be nice if the glaive did less self dmg and was less a mobile bomb and more dmg/reward for precision hits or ricochets [personally id rather my glaive deal about 50% less aoe dmg and just deal +50% direct hit dmg, also it is dumb that the tonkor deal basically no self dmg but the glaive can blow u up so easily due to wonky hitboxes and strange/invis terrain geometry, not to mention the new charge animations have the origin point of the glaive coming from the lower left hand/quadrant of the screen so u often hit a railing instead of what u aiming at]

8 minutes ago, Misgenesis said:

Being able to interrupt melee animations is a must.

Melee stats could be higher across the board as well.

I definitely agree that there should be some ways to cancel melee attacks, especially  noticeable to me is stuff like coming out of a slide attack with toggle-crouch controls and having to wait to stop attacking before you can actually stand up again, and dying because of being knocked down in a melee attack and automatically going into the full animation a second time on getting back up.

• The amount of damage a melee weapon deals without it becoming a heavy/slow weapon is minuscule. We have a combo multiplier but it still doesn't compare to guns.
  • The combo counter is on a too short of a timer and the multiplier is set too high (1000hits = 4x). This just makes mods like rising storm and body counter a requirement.
  • Enemies (besides eximus units) need something other knock-down as their "surprise" attack.

channeling is to expensive even on frames with a high power capacity. The hole cost of the system needs to be reworked and its impossible to use a channeling set up when DE's mistakes exist in the game witch is every unit that drains energy from the warframes.

1 hour ago, MirageKnight said:

Agreed. I think the idea behind this event is for DE to possibly get metrics to help them improve melee / close combat.

That's my hope! I'm absolutely in love with Sword Alone in this game. It's already badass and looks AMAZING without it being a WoW - like mmo. 

Their upkeep in the sword alone aspect is literally HALF the reason I will play the game :)

1 hour ago, Misgenesis said:

Being able to interrupt melee animations is a must.

Melee stats could be higher across the board as well.

Totally!!!

The dps (regardless of range) of melee vs guns is not equivalent. The biggest advantage melee has is being able to hit many enemies with one swing.

DPS wise even with berserker and body count, you can get outgunned. 

1 hour ago, CY13ERPUNK said:

+9999 OP

srsly channeling is pretty awful atm, and the new charge atks that they brought back are super underwhelming =[

also giving us an alt-fire melee equivalent would be super useful, and removing all of the pause/hold inputs from combos and instead just replacing them with forward/back/guard/left/right

air melee does indeed need some of its momentum back, maybe not as much as it used to have prior to bullet-jump, but at least u should move foward a full body-length

agree that blocking/parrying is pretty subpar atm, i understand that DE was just trying to compromise since we got 'inf stamina' now, but the dmg reduc numbers should prolly move up some, or give us melee mods that can supplement the stats [change the current values to 40/60/80% DR and then have a mod that can boost those by 20% at max rank of 5-10 ranks] ; on a related note the nrg drain from blocking while channeling is redonk, u can be fully drained in a few hits, yet the return on investment from that nrg is awful, since almost no dmg is reflected =/ {seems like the current channeling efficiency mods dont even help this, which is just dumb, but even if they did, it would still be terribad cuz the channeling mods r awful}

also obligatory request for the glavie-type melee to be reworked/buffed and/or have their unique mods buffed [ie they trade too much dmg for necessary QoL], would also be nice if the glaive did less self dmg and was less a mobile bomb and more dmg/reward for precision hits or ricochets [personally id rather my glaive deal about 50% less aoe dmg and just deal +50% direct hit dmg, also it is dumb that the tonkor deal basically no self dmg but the glaive can blow u up so easily due to wonky hitboxes and strange/invis terrain geometry, not to mention the new charge animations have the origin point of the glaive coming from the lower left hand/quadrant of the screen so u often hit a railing instead of what u aiming at]

Yeah I would love a channeling rework. 

My idea was for melee weapons and mods to be MOSTLY the same, but we could craft runes/certain materials/certain metals into the weapon.

Kind of like how they fold a samurai sword 1,000 times, you would add different things to it that would effect channeling.

As for combos a friend of mine suggested that directional (with the arrows) should be available for most combos so that we can remain mobile in aiming. but also make it so we can sprint full speed while using MOST of them. (Some obviously require slower movement simply due to animations.)

However instead of directional input I was thinking maybe use the reload button? R on pc has no place in sword alone, so a E-E-pause-E-E could be a E-E-R-E-E

Or make it so we have light and heavy attacks just like many games, and weaving the different ones will create different combos. 

I think blocking as a stat makes sense. I think Nikanas can block 90% of damage. My thought was to make it kind of like mesa's peacemaker. If your target reticule is DIRECTLY on the enemy you will have MAXIMUM blockage (depending on your weapon) so for the sword and shield it would be 100% if the target reticule is on the enemy. But as your "aim" is worse, the damage reduction would go down from there. 

I would also love to move more while blocking, like in the echoes of the sentient cinematic, excalbur is blocking with the nikana but is also RUNNING FULL SPEED!

On the throwing weapons I think they need clarity and a rework in general for sure. I like where they were going with it but I think a lot more skill could be involved. Maybe if it followed your mouse?

1 hour ago, PepsilonEagle said:

I definitely agree that there should be some ways to cancel melee attacks, especially  noticeable to me is stuff like coming out of a slide attack with toggle-crouch controls and having to wait to stop attacking before you can actually stand up again, and dying because of being knocked down in a melee attack and automatically going into the full animation a second time on getting back up.

Totally. I hate starting a combo only for the enemy to simply jump away or back off so we miss. Combos make us run slow than enemies running away -.-

and that's only PVE, imagine how pvp is.

29 minutes ago, Herosupport said:

channeling is to expensive even on frames with a high power capacity. The hole cost of the system needs to be reworked and its impossible to use a channeling set up when DE's mistakes exist in the game witch is every unit that drains energy from the warframes.

My idea was for melee weapons and mods to be MOSTLY the same, but we could craft runes/certain materials/certain metals into the weapons in a separate bar or loadout.

Kind of like how they fold a samurai sword 1,000 times, you would add different things to it that would effect channeling.

1 hour ago, Postal_pat said:
  • The amount of damage a melee weapon deals without it becoming a heavy/slow weapon is minuscule. We have a combo multiplier but it still doesn't compare to guns.
  • The combo counter is on a too short of a timer and the multiplier is set too high (1000hits = 4x). This just makes mods like rising storm and body counter a requirement.
  • Enemies (besides eximus units) need something other knock-down as their "surprise" attack.

agree 100% my friend. We should be rewarded for being melee and in the front lines! not punished!

High risk high reward

30 minutes ago, -FV-Forizen said:

My idea was for melee weapons and mods to be MOSTLY the same, but we could craft runes/certain materials/certain metals into the weapon.

Folding swords during the forging process was developed to compensate for the poor quality of the japanese steel their craftsmanship was high to counter it. 

Channeling is a stat on weapons that has never been touched and is the one constant on all weapons if the channeling mods where to get a rework then they should hit stats like critical chance and critical damage for example want more channeling damage their goes your critical Multiplier want more channeling efficiency time to give up critical chance. and 1 energy per hit should be the new base with life strike staying the same reducing efficiency.

5 hours ago, -FV-Forizen said:

If they can determine how many kills happened from what and what weapons were used I hope this data will give them an idea of some of the help and love Sword Alone needs.

They do this often with things like, Mag when Greedy Pull was the most used ability. 

I know in PVE it is "fine" and got a lot of utility from the recent Shadow Debt event.

I also know that it is currently in a very unhealthy state in PVP.

But regardless, anyone whose played this game for a while can most likely agree with the following points on melee: 

• How 99% of the kills are "spam e" kills    That's entirely dependant on how you play. I'd say 1% of mine are "spam E" kills.
  • How often/impratical/no time for some pause, and hold button combos are as they require timing which in turn is also impractical when running something like berserker This can be overcome with practice, I have yet to have any real issues with this.
  • How air melee is non existant, it's a jump attack that holds 0 momentum, you jump and slash the air in front of you with no carry (bar scythes and heavy weapons) It has it's uses such as taking out flying enemies and aiming for the head.
  • How the new Charge Attacks are extremely inefficient. One would never find a time to use them unless, looking for a large chunk of damage for a singular attack. If there were an enemy who only exposed themselves to one instance of damage before closing up, it is the ONLY time a charge attack would be optimal. currently it isn't This I agree with, the only good charge attacks are ones such as the Redeemer, Glaives and Mios/Lacera.
  • How many weapons are left in the dust. Whether it be the Silva and Aegis's sad 35 heat damage, the no further tweaks on nunchaku, how many people are just using Orthos + primed reach, or the nikana and war/broken war. This is the case for all weapons, some will be better than others. There needs to be some progression in this game.
  • How channeling needs a rework, for the only corrupted channeling mod people use is life strike, and only channel to heal up instead of as a sacrifice in warframe abilities for sword alone DPS This is true.
  • How Blocking is inefficient as blocking currently slows down your mobility, and in turn any damage you might block you could have instead gap closed to the enemy and kill them Wholly disagree. Blocking is what keeps me alive when meleeing, it as great damage resistance (up to 85%) and does not impair you mobility (you can still sprint and do aimglides while blocking) It's one of the main advantages compared to guns. Especially when playing a squishy frame.
  • Mentioned a bit in an earlier point, but how stances lock you in an UNCANCELLABLE animation that also makes you for the most part, stationary as opposed to mobile (bar a few attacks like Guiding Light from the Blind Justice stance, Final Harbringer, or the Glaive combos) This I also agree with.

I'm sure melee 3.0 is a ways off. But I hope they take this chance to learn some things about what the playerbase does with melee, as opposed to it just being a fun event. 

Response is bolded in the quote.

Edited by Rambit23Z

Very fun tac alert so far.

Having no problems with Nikana Prime + Decisive Judgement and withou channeling all the time.

But on the other hand that stance has no stupid down or hold moves in the combos, so I can't really commend on that.

A secound button for combos would be nice tough - it work perfectly with the Warriors franchise koei too.

Edited by bubbabenali

Things I disagree on:

Channeling. Channeling builds do more damage than non-channeling builds and there are a lot of ways to power the energy required. Channeling doesn't need a rework. Just some of the mods.

Blocking. It would be stupid if you could just hold it down all the time without giving up mobility. The way it is now you can block CC by briefly blocking at the right times. The damage block sucks except for heavy blades and sword/shield but the CC block alone makes it a worthwhile mechanic on any weapon. You also get to block while gliding without losing speed so there's that too.

1 hour ago, Rambit23Z said:

Response is bolded in the quote.

I understand you are taking a very optimistic point of view towards the current melee state.

You are TOTALLY right about your points.

I think what I was trying to say is, although you CAN choose to do actual combos, much of the same result is gained from spamming E.

The reward is not high enough for pulling off a combo bar against those enemies after 2 hours of survival and you need that damage amp or cc built in. 

Take this event for example, there's no need for that. You can hack and slash just fine by spamming E. 

As for air melee, i think I want to more refer to PVP. I know it's a completely different environment but the current state is just not equipped for people clinging to walls and flying since everyone became zephyr with parkour 2.0

As for the blocking, sure it's useful. I remember being in danger from high level grineer when I wasn't fully geared and it definitely saved me. But the majority of the playerbase are like "nobody got time for that!!" I think there needs to be more rewarding.

But it should be available while sprinting at full speed. I also think we should be able to aim glide + block WITHOUT being slowed down. As it just delays the enemy's death, increases bullets flown at you.

1 hour ago, Nariala said:

My biggest issue with this event is I kept parrying just as scorpions hit and still hooking me, only to then be incapable of using melee for a while after.

Baha I'm so sorry!

1 hour ago, bubbabenali said:

Very fun tac alert so far.

Having no problems with Nikana Prime + Decisive Judgement and withou channeling all the time.

But on the other hand that stance has no stupid down or hold moves in the combos, so I can't really commend on that.

A secound button for combos would be nice tough - it work perfectly with the Warriors franchise koei too.

I love Decisive Judgement's hold combo. But because the hold can be used at the beginning, not in the middle so timing isn't an issue with high attack speed. You can just hold the mouse down and do that badass uppercut xD

I'm not familiar with the game you are talking about unfortunately. But Yeah I would love a different button option in place of timing. 

40 minutes ago, Inmemoratus said:

Things I disagree on:

Channeling. Channeling builds do more damage than non-channeling builds and there are a lot of ways to power the energy required. Channeling doesn't need a rework. Just some of the mods.

Blocking. It would be stupid if you could just hold it down all the time without giving up mobility. The way it is now you can block CC by briefly blocking at the right times. The damage block sucks except for heavy blades and sword/shield but the CC block alone makes it a worthwhile mechanic on any weapon. You also get to block while gliding without losing speed so there's that too.

Please display for me a channeling build and I will top it. I think what people don't know for example is that, Killing Blow adds 120% damage to CHANNELING. 

Say you do a base 100 damage, that's 150 damage while channeling.

Killing Blow ISN'T an additional 120% of 150 = 330 damage.

It's actually 120% of only the .5 (from channeling) in this case 50 damage. 120% of 50 = 60 + 100 base and 50 for channeling = 210 damage while channeling.

If you put an elemental damage mod of 90%, that's 190 damage *1.5 (for channeling) = 285 damage. That's 75 more than killing blow. 

I think all of the mods need a rework. 

Blocking. I don't think we should be able to block at all times, otherwise blocking should just be automatic. I think it should be buffed, gameplay and rewarding wise but shouldn't be available during

• Bullet jumps
  • Air rolls
  • ground rolls
  • while attacking (maybe give partial blocking if using a right click combo and make the combos defense based)

But it should be available while sprint at full speed. I also think we should be able to aim glide + block WITHOUT being slowed down. As it just delays the enemy's death, increases bullets flown at you.

I really hope that we get more of those heavy, really useful, crowd control charge attacks back. I also hope that the close combat enemy units get upgraded to have a wider arsenal of attacks to use against us. I also think we can think about how divide weapons into more categories now that charge attacks are back. Some weapons being really good at charge attacks, some good at normal combos and some great at channeling warframe energy.

6 minutes ago, -FV-Forizen said:

I understand you are taking a very optimistic point of view towards the current melee state.

You are TOTALLY right about your points.

I think what I was trying to say is, although you CAN choose to do actual combos, much of the same result is gained from spamming E.

The reward is not high enough for pulling off a combo bar against those enemies after 2 hours of survival and you need that damage amp or cc built in. 

Take this event for example, there's no need for that. You can hack and slash just fine by spamming E. 

As for air melee, i think I want to more refer to PVP. I know it's a completely different environment but the current state is just not equipped for people clinging to walls and flying since everyone became zephyr with parkour 2.0

As for the blocking, sure it's useful. I remember being in danger from high level grineer when I wasn't fully geared and it definitely saved me. But the majority of the playerbase are like "nobody got time for that!!" I think there needs to be more rewarding.

But it should be available while sprinting at full speed. I also think we should be able to aim glide + block WITHOUT being slowed down. As it just delays the enemy's death, increases bullets flown at you.

But you CAN sprint at full speed while blocking, same goes for aimglide. And when it comes to combo counter; multiplying my damage by 4 (combo counter) plus another 3.8 (crit multiplier) and 50% of the time 7.6 (red-crit multiplier) with Blood Rush is pretty good reward if you ask me.

8 minutes ago, -FV-Forizen said:

Please display for me a channeling build and I will top it. I think what people don't know for example is that, Killing Blow adds 120% damage to CHANNELING. 

Say you do a base 100 damage, that's 150 damage while channeling.

Killing Blow ISN'T an additional 120% of 150 = 330 damage.

It's actually 120% of only the .5 (from channeling) in this case 50 damage. 120% of 50 = 60 + 100 base and 50 for channeling = 210 damage while channeling.

If you put an elemental damage mod of 90%, that's 190 damage *1.5 (for channeling) = 285 damage. That's 75 more than killing blow. 

I think all of the mods need a rework. 

It seems you forgot elementals are additive with each other.

4 elementals with channeling: 4.6 * 1.5 = 6.9

3 elementals + Killing Blow: 3.7 * 2.1 = 7.77

The thing with animation keeping you in place varies from weapon to weapon. For example, Tempo Royale locks you in place, while Vulpine Mask allows you to move freely (the other thing is that running totally breaks the animation). We should have the ability to reset ourselves, we can even use the action button to do it.

Blocking needs stamina bar. Just like with wall latch, we should have a limit to how long we can block, but we should be able to block all incoming damage. Simply damage reduction is not enough in many cases.

Combo counter should be 15 seconds long without any mods. Body count could increase the multiplier instead.

Charge attacks should be assigned to a different key (reload, secondary fire). They interfere with some combos (doing charge attack with a rapier is almost undoable) and have the unnecessary swing.

Channeling... uhh... needs a rework. That's right. It needs to do more damage and have fewer mods that increase drain. And make Life Strike a baseline ability for every frame. Then again, the mod can just increase the effect. Anything to make it worthwile beside Life Strike.

Air attacks could be worked on as well, hitting enemies in the air is a pain. The same goes for enemies below you, on stairs.

10 minutes ago, Genitive said:

The thing with animation keeping you in place varies from weapon to weapon. For example, Tempo Royale locks you in place, while Vulpine Mask allows you to move freely (the other thing is that running totally breaks the animation). We should have the ability to reset ourselves, we can even use the action button to do it.

Blocking needs stamina bar. Just like with wall latch, we should have a limit to how long we can block, but we should be able to block all incoming damage. Simply damage reduction is not enough in many cases.

Combo counter should be 15 seconds long without any mods. Body count could increase the multiplier instead.

Charge attacks should be assigned to a different key (reload, secondary fire). They interfere with some combos (doing charge attack with a rapier is almost undoable) and have the unnecessary swing.

Channeling... uhh... needs a rework. That's right. It needs to do more damage and have fewer mods that increase drain. And make Life Strike a baseline ability for every frame. Then again, the mod can just increase the effect. Anything to make it worthwile beside Life Strike.

Air attacks could be worked on as well, hitting enemies in the air is a pain. The same goes for enemies below you, on stairs.

Blocking used to work that way, and nobody used it because it killed your stamina bar near instantly. Most weapons have 65% damage reduction, the really popular ones (War, Scindo Prime, Nikana Prime, etc.) all have 85% damage reduction.

2 minutes ago, Rambit23Z said:

Blocking used to work that way, and nobody used it because it killed your stamina bar near instantly. Most weapons have 65% damage reduction, the really popular ones (War, Scindo Prime, Nikana Prime, etc.) all have 85% damage reduction.

I do realise that. I don't want it to return in the same shape, but work around a similar idea.

Why do all melee weapons have the exact same channeling cost anyway? 

You'd think weaker and faster-hitting melee-weapons would have a lower channeling cost while big heavy weapons had a higher cost but a lower attack-rate, to prevent light weapons from burning all their energy on pretty much nothing, or that they'd at least up their channeling DMG multiplier, but no that remains the same as well. 

For instance, why would something like the Obex, that hits 4 times a second have a channeling cost of 5, when the Galatine, that hits less than once a second, has the exact same cost? Yet both have the same Channeling DMG Multipliers of 1.5x... Why? It's pretty clear who wins out in efficiency AND damage both at once. 

DE has a lot of stats to play with that they could use to balance weapons, but they simply don't. 

Have a +1, OP. I hate to repeat myself in every melee thread that pops up, but sword alone is my preferred style of playing Warframe and I've had mostly unchanging issues with it for the past 2 years or so. 

1. Combo counters shouldn't just banish after a set amount of time, but decay at a somewhat rapid rate. Mods like Body Count could extend the timer before decay and also slow the decay rate. 

2. "Hold" and "Pause" melee commands are impractical and counter-intuitive. Give us another button so we have light strike/strong strike that can be combined into simpler one-two chains while still keeping the stance's combos (those combos'd generally trade ease of command for higher net damage.) 

3. Melee combos (and weapon switching too) need to be more responsive and fluid. There needs to be a way to cancel melee motions (or rolling should always and immediately override melee motions) so I don't have to wait for a combo/sheath/swing animation to finish before I can reposition myself. 

4. Blocking needs to be buffed and diversified across weapon classes. Sword & Shields should provide 90-95% damage block while "lighter" weapons like daggers and sparring could moderately boost parkour maneuvers while blocking. 

5. Channeling needs a rework. Diversification could be a first step: different weapons having different channeling costs and multipliers, while some even gaining secondary effects while channeling (e.g. each hit from Lecta and Prova would gain shock proc regardless of their modded damage type and status chance. Sword & Shield will have minimal blocking cost. Finisher kills while channeling, including ground finisher kills, with sparring weapons grant temporary 10% movement speed & evasion bonus, etc.) Channeling mods also need to be buffed drastically to justify their costs (YES I'M LOOKING AT YOU CORRUPT CHARGE, QUICKENING, TRUE PUNISHMENT). 

Edited by traybong111

OP, you summed up the main problems of melee in the game, however there is one thing that bugs me the most and no one is talking about it:

8 hours ago, -FV-Forizen said:
  • How air melee is non existant, it's a jump attack that holds 0 momentum, you jump and slash the air in front of you with no carry (bar scythes and heavy weapons) And will lock you in animation, so that for 1 second after an air attack you are not able to perform any melee attacks.

8 hours ago, -FV-Forizen said:

- Lots of stuff that makes sense -

+1 and bump, this needs to be repeated until melee gets much needed improvements. 

While Melee 3.0 might be years away, there are somethings that they can tweak in near future like channeling. The cancel button ("reload" is unused when in melee) would be extremely easy to implement, I think. Just in this alert, I can't even count how many times have I seen a Scorpion winding up for knockdown, and I knew I had to eat it along with the following damage, because I was locked in a combo animation.