The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the best kubrow for all around?

(XBOX)Bakunawa J12

Question

21 answers to this question

Sahasa. Period. It gives you health, ammo, energy, and even credits and mods sometimes. It locks down capture / simaris targets for easy capture/scanning. Being a kubrow it also has high durability and damage- and is easily healed with the pack leader mod equipped. The only downside to using them instead of a sentinel is that you can't get that sweet guardian mod.

2 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

The only downside to using them instead of a sentinel is that you can’t get that sweet guardian mod.

Vacuum > anything a Kubrow does. Convenience is the meta, and Chesa kubrows are too inconsistent and hard to control.

If I want to kill something, I attack it myself.

If we're talking battlefield usefulness, though…

Sweeper Prime = dependable CC/damage; Kubrow = high but very inconsistent damage (and CC on capture targets or invisibility or free loot, but I really don’t care…)

If I'm alone, my Carrier can kill a Manic with no help from me and no chance for the Manic to actually deal damage. Can you say the same of a kubrow?

13 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

Sahasa. Period. It gives you health, ammo, energy, and even credits and mods sometimes. It locks down capture / simaris targets for easy capture/scanning. Being a kubrow it also has high durability and damage- and is easily healed with the pack leader mod equipped. The only downside to using them instead of a sentinel is that you can't get that sweet guardian mod.

Well, only raksas can do that. People tend to underestimate that breed.

Edited by Teloch

7 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

Vacuum > anything a Kubrow does. Convenience is the meta, and Chesa kubrows are too inconsistent and hard to control.

Sweeper Prime = dependable CC/damage; Kubrow = high but very inconsistent damage (and CC on capture targets or invisibility or free loot, but I really don’t care…)

If I'm alone, my Carrier can kill a Manic with no help from me and no chance for the Manic to actually deal damage. Can you say the same of a kubrow?

I mean, my Huras can one shot a level 100 Gunner, while also having 7.4k health with Inaros (and is constantly healed by playing melee), along with the best non frame-ability stealth in the game...

Although, when it's resource farming time, out comes Vacuum Prime. 

3 minutes ago, Magneu said:

I mean, my Huras can one shot a level 100 Gunner, while also having 7.4k health with Inaros (and is constantly healed by playing melee), along with the best non frame-ability stealth in the game…

If that’s what floats your boat, fine. I was just pointing out that he was marginalizing muh Vacuum unreasonably.

I will agree Kubrows are strong. However, Shadow Step is the best non-frame-ability stealth in the game.

Just now, ChronoEclipse said:

If that’s what floats your boat, fine. I was just pointing out that he was marginalizing muh Vacuum unreasonably.

I will agree Kubrows are strong. However, Shadow Step is the best non-frame-ability stealth in the game.

Oops, good point on Shadow Step. Let me edit that statement;

"Hunt is the most powerful, balanced, non-frame stealth in the game."

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind default pickup radius being a tad larger, and Vacuum being universal (but can only suck for 10-15 seconds at a time with a 5-10 seconds cooldown). In return, Carrier would get the precept that would let him store good amounts of ammo/energy/health to be fed to you as needed. I think people have been asking for something like that for quite a while now.

all around what?

nothing companions do is 'necessary', but some of them are arguably more useful than others

best at gathering loot? carrier no question, the chesa would be the only 2nd option, and the chesa is a lot worse at gathering loot, but its also a lot more durable than the carrier is, although also loses the potential for a ranged weapon like the sweeper or vulklok

best at scanning, only one choice, helios, undeniably/supremely useful for scanning, since manually using the scanner in the heat of combat is annoying at best

best at stealth? the huras stalk is far superior to the shade's ghost

best at sustain? sahasa probably, since its pretty much the only companion to offer and kind of nrg/health/ammo

best defense and/or CC? tied between the raksa/wyrm/diriga/djinn : raksa has howl [nekros terrify] and protect [sentinels guardian], wyrm has ragdoll, diriga has consistent zaps, djinn has fatal attraction

best dps? probably any sentinel equipped with sweeper prime and a decent engage range [helios/carrier engage at shorter ranges than djinn/diriga for example] , although the huras with hunt and maxed bite/maul can deal out some pain as well

clearly there are a few companions that are completely outclassed by others [dethcube/shade/sunika are all fairly underperforming atm sadly, they could use some tweaks] 

but most of the benefits of a companion can be achieved by any of them, ie animal instincts mod, some form of dmg, another tgt, etc

For all-around I, for one, prefer sahasa or raksa. Sahasa can heal you a bit, provides energy, ammo and still can bite off a couple of legs. Raksa can give you much-needed breathing room with its wounded Godzilla howl (proved itself useful at the recent Tactical alert) and replenishes your shield, which is neat. Also (still) Frost's best friend.

If you rely mostly on non-targeted skills, then huras will suit you most.

Chesa is too inconsistent, and sunika is just... meh.

1 hour ago, ChronoEclipse said:

For you maybe. For me vacuum is totally useless. Meta? Meta is lame. 

Also, you keep saying kubrows are inconsistent- you clearly haven't tried them since the recent update gave them new AI. They absolutely wreck house now. Nonstop attacking and very smooth and efficient movement and good skill usage. They're leagues better than they used to be.

I can't say the same for a kubrow because the second I hear a manic I turn around and blast it in the face myself anyways.

My personal favorite Kubrow is the Raksa. It keeps shields topped up more reliably than a Sentinel's Guardian (great for Hijack), and its Howl power is basically an improvement on Nekros' Terrify. Slowed enemies are really easy targets and they will not fight back, and it keeps them away from things like defense objectives, or you if you're busy hacking a console or capturing a VIP or something.

Honestly, even with the new hotfix to their AI, i still find them cumbersome, i really want to be able to use them in a longer run surv, but the efficiency gremlin inside me, knows that things like the carrier will just serve (no pun intended) more of a benefit, allowing items like heath orbs to be picked up near instantly and in huge amounts.

To be honest I feel like they need a simple "heel" or "go to" command, say putting down a modified waypoint which returns them directly to their masters side, or moves them to a location you want them to begin at. Perhaps they also need things like commands like the syndicate allies have, where we can tell them to stay, follow, passive, aggressive etc?

And I have to face the fact that I won't be happy until I can strap cannons either side of these health tanks

W4R

Edited by W4RM3CH4N1C
Spelling

1 hour ago, ChronoEclipse said:

My problem with sentinels is, that on higher level missions against Grineer or Infested, mine tend to die due to AoE. Be it Bombards or just random toxic nastiness. Kubrows can easily be healed by melee attacks and even if they go down, I have at least a chance to get them back. Yeah, on moderate difficulty, I usually use Carrier, too, but my puppehs are just more resilient than poor, squishy Carrier.

59 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

For you maybe. For me vacuum is totally useless. Meta? Meta is lame. 

Would you prefer I say: It enhances my life more than a Kubrow can? Carrier directly affects how much effort I must expend to get the loot that I can’t keep myself from collecting. A dog does no such thing.

8 minutes ago, DjaAkh said:

squishy Carrier.

Get Carrier Prime. I don’t regularly run any frame tankier than Carrier Prime, so if he dies it’s my fault because I already went down. The blame is on me entirely, rather than my companion dying because my stupid dog decided that Napalm looked real friend-like.

50 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

Would you prefer I say: It enhances my life more than a Kubrow can? Carrier directly affects how much effort I must expend to get the loot that I can’t keep myself from collecting. A dog does no such thing.

Get Carrier Prime. I don’t regularly run any frame tankier than Carrier Prime, so if he dies it’s my fault because I already went down. The blame is on me entirely, rather than my companion dying because my stupid dog decided that Napalm looked real friend-like.

Got the prime. He is less squishy, I agree! But Bombards still love him :/ Haven't forma-ed him too much, I might add. However, I neither did that with my Kubrows and they can take some punishment. Particularly in mission, that I run more or less melee. Don't get me wrong! I totally agree with you, that in most cases, Carrier just is the more reliable boon. It's just a bit more squishy. And hey... in really tough missions, you sometimes just go down. It's just part of the exercise. So being prepared for that doesn't hurt. Well, it does, cause, you get less loot/ammo/health because of the lack of your Carrier.... but you know, what I mean ;)

For me personally (and you will find more opinions on this than there are breeds! LOL), it's the combat Kubrow. I know, I know you say there is no such breed, but there really is. I don't use my Kubrow for any of their utility (let's face it, Carrier and Helios are the most useful companions for collecting resources and scans), but they can't touch the Kubrow set up for combat. Sweeper Prime on Carrier can do a lot, but still falls short. That being said, it takes 7 forma to make a Kubrow deadlier than some frames out there. Not to mention the cores/spare mods/credits to max the mods needed such as Bite, Maul, Sanctuary. So my Kubrow has every damage mod available and none of the precept mods for the breed itself (mine is a Sahasa by the way as it was my first ever Kubrow). So it doesn't dig, it doesn't unlock lockers, or fetch, it just rapes face, usually taking down high level enemies and outlasting squad mates (and even me) sometimes. 

5 hours ago, ChronoEclipse said:

agreed... it would be most convenient if we could equip a sentinel and a kubrow. i like my kubrow, but hate to give up my carrier.