Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I hate inventory slots

Mr.ToastForPresident

Inventory slots have been in the game since the very beginning of Warframe. It is probably an issue that no one knows about or just glosses over it because it has been such an integral part of the game. But why am I bringing up this topic right now, and is it really that big of an issue?

So the last couple weeks, I have met many other people in school that got into Warframe the last couple of months after the second dream update. I'm that one person that has been playing since 2013, so I have to explain to the most of the in's and out's of this game. One big thing that kept cropping up was inventory slots. The person I would be talking to would say "Yeah, I would like to have that warframe, but I don't have the slots", or " I sold that item yesterday because I had no more room in my inventory". I'm sure everybody had the same problem at some point, and still encounter the same problems to this day. 

But why is this a problem?

Because DE essentially is forcing players to join the meta builds and kill any diversity in weapons. You want to keep your Dual Grakata because dakka dakka? Too bad, it won't hold up in  endgame and it is just mastery fodder. You like the playstyle of your Volt? Haha, he won't hold up damage wise, so it is better to sell him for someone more useful. These are the types of problems that new players and less fortunate players have to deal with on a daily business. Catalyst and forma also add into this problem.

This could also explain why people get so but hurt on weapons nerfs. If a weapons comes out that is way better than what you have in your inventory, then you essentially wasted your time into a weapons just for it to become inferior. This player won't be able to keep both weapons because they won't have enough room for both of them.

"But you can always get more plat through trading!" you might say.

Yes, but for newer players, the void is not accessible, and all weapons and warfarmes from the void are precious to them. Plus, you are not lucky all the time, so there is no guarantee way for you to earn plat. If you believe that DE needs your money, I highly doubt people paying for slots is what keeps the lights on at night.

Slots may have been more appropriate in the beginning, since there were only a few weapons and warframes for you to own, but now since there are a lot more weapons and warframes, slots have become a hindrance. It forces players into meta's and kills diversity in how you could play.

They're a source of income for a company that is providing you a game that's not only free to play, but also free to obtain any equipment you want to try out. I played for over 2 years only using the standard number of slots and only increasing through event weapons given with free slot/catalyst.

If your friends actually enjoy the game enough to stick with it, then they can always support the game by buying Platinum and unlocking slots, even if they purchase it only when they get a 75% coupon.

Edited by Maicael

Just because the slots themselves are not paying DEs bills. It does not mean it does not help with the whole system as a whole. It is a very strong motivator for a first plat purchase. If a player cant afford it, and is too new for void. Well. Tough. Going to need to wait it out. Those new players cant even join the meta anyway being that new. They likely have no clue.

Edited by Firetempest

You could've picked a better week to bring this up.  Such as any week in which DE didn't issue every player three free weapons including slots.  Anyone who was playing this time last year and already has two of those weapons might as well have been given one weapon (including slot and catalyst), 10,000 credits and two open slots.  Unless DE change their policy over the next year I'd expect the next anniversary to give us all a new weapon, 3 empty slots and 15,000 credits.

8 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

It is a very strong motivator...

I know a few people who bought 75Pt warframes because that included a 20Pt slot and a 20Pt Reactor.  When I bought the Ictus bundle instead of researching & building Helios the cost of the Sentinel slots was factored into my decision that it was a good bundle.  Slots having value does encourage people to spend Pt on items that then come with their own slot(s).

Edited by Katinka

Slots are extremely reasonably priced and plat is earnable in game.

Have you seen the fees OTHER games wants you to pay for character/weapons/inventory/tank slots? It's obscene.

23 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

Yes, but for newer players, the void is not accessible

This is simply untrue. Tier 1 void is crazy easy and still provides drops worth selling.

Not to mention valuable mods drop literally everywhere.

Edited by Sorkheff

15 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

Inventory slots have been in the game since the very beginning of Warframe. It is probably an issue that no one knows about or just glosses over it because it has been such an integral part of the game. But why am I bringing up this topic right now, and is it really that big of an issue?

So the last couple weeks, I have met many other people in school that got into Warframe the last couple of months after the second dream update. I'm that one person that has been playing since 2013, so I have to explain to the most of the in's and out's of this game. One big thing that kept cropping up was inventory slots. The person I would be talking to would say "Yeah, I would like to have that warframe, but I don't have the slots", or " I sold that item yesterday because I had no more room in my inventory". I'm sure everybody had the same problem at some point, and still encounter the same problems to this day. 

But why is this a problem?

Because DE essentially is forcing players to join the meta builds and kill any diversity in weapons. You want to keep your Dual Grakata because dakka dakka? Too bad, it won't hold up in  endgame and it is just mastery fodder. You like the playstyle of your Volt? Haha, he won't hold up damage wise, so it is better to sell him for someone more useful. These are the types of problems that new players and less fortunate players have to deal with on a daily business. Catalyst and forma also add into this problem.

This could also explain why people get so but hurt on weapons nerfs. If a weapons comes out that is way better than what you have in your inventory, then you essentially wasted your time into a weapons just for it to become inferior. This player won't be able to keep both weapons because they won't have enough room for both of them.

"But you can always get more plat through trading!" you might say.

Yes, but for newer players, the void is not accessible, and all weapons and warfarmes from the void are precious to them. Plus, you are not lucky all the time, so there is no guarantee way for you to earn plat. If you believe that DE needs your money, I highly doubt people paying for slots is what keeps the lights on at night.

Slots may have been more appropriate in the beginning, since there were only a few weapons and warframes for you to own, but now since there are a lot more weapons and warframes, slots have become a hindrance. It forces players into meta's and kills diversity in how you could play.

I agree to an extend, I started playing warframe 9 months ago and it really sucked because my friends and i needed to find a good combo of warframes to be able to farm, it was fun at the moment but when you always use the same gear it just gets boring, so after a week i dropped the game.

In the last 3 months i started playing again and i started farming what people wanted and i made a lot of plat in a couple of days. I guess what i'm trying to say is the trading system is something that is part of warframe (like it or not) and it requieres pacience maybe your friend could just pay some money and enjoy the game.

I've been playing for 3 years.... and have 3 Dex Furis to prove it... moving on, for the first year, I did not buy or trade for plat, only built, leveled and sold as I progressed. Sell what you think is weak, keep what you like. If you want more slots, farm... "Work" a little for that.

Complaining about something you don't like is futile, because unless it's a problem everyone has, it's likely to be dismissed and ignored.

You could ask for 4 more weapon slots as a start, and that might be fine, but don't ruin the whole system simply because someone is too <insert fitting word> to farm for some plat.

Fyi, void isn't the only method to gaining plat... some mods are rather... sought after.

No one is forcing you to sell your things for higher-tier gear.  As I recall you get 50 starter plat which should be used on more weapon slots/warframe slots.  After you're comfortable enough to do void i'd suggest you do and sell the prime pieces you pick up on trading chat to buy more slots.  It's not difficult.

Really sounds like you made your own little problem with inventory slots. I mean when I think inventory slots, I dont even come close to thinking about DE is trying to tip the meta or whatever. 

You spend your starter plat on inventory slots, you then get all the vanilla weapons you can, rank those up, get all the vanilla frames you can, rank those up and just keep cycling things out that you no longer need, till you get something you feel is good (ie a prime) and keep it. Then you start farming parts and other stuff with your "good gear" to sell and buy slots for items you want to keep. Its what I did, and its not a very difficult thing to do. If you really want to get something back that you had to delete, then get it back? Just make sure you dont get rid of a quest only item.

37 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

You want to keep your Dual Grakata because dakka dakka? Too bad, it won't hold up in  endgame and it is just mastery fodder.

Sure, THE GODTIER secondary weapon is mastery fodder and it won't hold up in endgame.

get.gif?w=604

As for slots, you just gotta be smart. Level up mk1 weapons, sell them, get their normal versions, if some of those have a prime version, sell the normal one. Bam, you're already mr3-4 with just 6 slots. Also, they give you 50 plat.

Edited by JesterTheNight

..or you can just buy more inventory slots with starter Plat, go through vanilla Frames and Weapons, then try for the primes and delete the non-primes. you could also sell the other stuff you got from the Void on trading for plat, allowing you to further expand your slots.

I've never really had a problem with inventory slots.

Newer players would be easily discouraged with these inventory slots.. I've seen quite a few amounts of people quit this game because of it

So, if you're bringing new friends into this game, make sure to tell them about how to get more slots, and lord pls TELL THEM early that this game is a grind-farm-fest.

Just now, LunarEdge7 said:

Newer players would be easily discouraged with these inventory slots.. I've seen quite a few amounts of people quit this game because of it

So, if you're bringing new friends into this game, make sure to tell them about how to get more slots, and lord pls TELL THEM early that this game is a grind-farm-fest.

wouldn't that kinda get them away from the game. how about say it's kinda grindy, insted of grind fest

Just want to clarify something.

I have been playing for a while, and slots aren't really that big for me since I do have an opportunity to sell lots of items for plats. It is just annoying that I can't reach fashion frame fast enough because I have to buy slots.

But I see this slot problem as an issue for newer players, you know, the ones who instantly buy resources for plat instead of slots. I have to carefully explain to these newer players for the reason to buy slots.