The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

List of banned words on the chat channels

Cesarin

Hello!

Anyone knows if there is  a list of words that can get you insta banned?

Before, you could only get kicked by trying to "sell" or "spam". Then the profanity filter was there to work out "bad words".

Now it seems that they do not even filter and outright ban you.

I do not even remember what I said that could be considered offensive and that got me banned since yesterday.

Or the ban was actually set manually by an overzealous purple "helper" ?

Edited by Cesarin

I kind of don't understand the swear filter. I can understand we can't have people cussing every sentence in game and cussing at each other.I was unsure the rating of the game so i looked it up, and read that this game was changed from a T rating to an M rating in 2013. So the game is rated M and there's a swear filter? seems pretty dumb in my opinion

meh it is what it is. a friend of mine tried put "WTS Cheesecake" in trade chat and got kicked. I think if it's deemed unnecessary, vulgar or offensive in any possible way, it can result in a Kick or ban, depending on the content.

unless you're using a channel for it's intended purpose (general, educated discussion in Region, Recruiting in Recruit Chat, or selling/buying in Trade chat), you're liable to get hit by a mod. at the same time though, I've also seen some weird and sometimes toxic things said in region where a Mod does nothing about it.

Still haven't seen any in oceania, the auto kick does a good enough job of separating the chats.

Though this does bring up the topic of community moderators vs Gotl "helpers". Regular community moderators are put through a lot of scrutiny before being chosen; they have contact with the devs and are practically supervised by them. However gotl is nothing like that, they are practically an undisciplined group that were recently given power. Gotl started out as trying to help new player's but I don't see how letting a group of player's moderate chat to their wish is helpful in any form. Sure let them change the colour of their text to notify/help new player's that might be reading but giving them moderation power is unnecessary.

In relation to what words get you kicked. I know that a few words regularly used in trading and recruit will set off the auto-boot. However outside of those words you'll only be censored unless a player has turned that feature off. I think it may have a counter on how many times you use a censored word which would result in an auto-boot. Of course if you are being toxic (even once) while a community moderator is around you can be kicked, which is fair enough.

Edited by Postal_pat

1 minute ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

unless you're using a channel for it's intended purpose (general, educated discussion in Region, Recruiting in Recruit Chat, or selling/buying in Trade chat), you're liable to get hit by a mod. at the same time though, I've also seen some weird and sometimes toxic things said in region where a Mod does nothing about it.

Chances are that vulgar stuff was said by a friend of a moderator or moderators (possibly a moderator's alt account), or no moderators were watching.

I suppose the only thing we can do is take screenshots and report those Mods so maybe DE will take out those kind of "Kick/Ban privileges" from Moderators, because, unless they send a PM we wont know which one did it.

Some of the reasons for the kicks are just stupid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kao-Snake said:

I suppose the only thing we can do is take screenshots and report those Mods so maybe DE will take out those kind of "Kick/Ban privileges" from Moderators, because, unless they send a PM we wont know which one did it.

Some of the reasons for the kicks are just stupid.

And how do you know who banned you?

There could be 2-3 purple texts and even some DE administrator.

Also, remember you get instantly cut off from the chat. I notice the screenshots of other people say "Your access to this channel has been suspended". I only get that if I try to reenter later on the day and the game tries to join the chat after logging in.

I made a thread asking the same thing - and afaik no response. I got suspended because we were talking about Warner Brothers games and how bad they have been to PC players. I said "WB has been sucking on the sucky pipe as far as it's games for a while now." and got suspended. The ironic part is just before that I gave the same mod kudos because instead of throwing people out he was giving them warnings and telling them not to do whatever it was they were doing. Then he does just the opposite to me and throws me out without a word. I asked him why he threw me out, and get this - he considered my post "sexual", and told me not to do it again. It took a long conversation with him and [DE]Danielle before i could get some reconciliation - the next time he saw me on the server he apologized. Problem is when people of a different culture, demographic or country are moderating, they need to be aware of other slang, terminology, colloquialisms, etc. You need to be aware of CONTEXT as well, so you are not suspending people just because they said a word. Words can have innocent or vulgar meaning, depending on what is stated - but you have to know how to parse that. The reason for a mod is to have someone more sophisticated than a kick-bot - but if they are just going to act like a kick-bot and not use intelligent deduction to consider if a word or statement is truly offensive - why have them at all? Just add some words to the kick-bot and call it a day.

Personally I'd like to see more professionalism on the parts of the Guides or mods or what have you. When they are doing that job they should be ON THE JOB. Not using it to assert their personal rules. Nobody should feel like the scene changes because a certain guide is there. And if they are going to be guides, then they should act like it and go out of their way to help people. Some guides I run into are no different from anyone else, they just have purple text and can kick people. They yap like anyone else, but they impose their will and chastise people. I seriously would like to know what makes them the choice for guide (not all of them, but there have been some that makes me really wonder...). As a guide, if you dont no something, you shouldn't be like "I don't know..." and go back to talking about you freaking cat. You should be providing a service to the community so you go find out what you don't know, or tell a person in a gracious manner how they can find out. Isn't that what a guide does? Guide people???

It's not being biased read the CoC and the Eula...  Being offensive or derogatory toward others is what your being banned for.

you can get banned for more than swearing!

the morale of the story here is simple... This is not one of the corners of the internet where you can just do and say what ever you want without reprimand.

if you saw these chats years ago you would realize how much more helpful the moderators and chat filters are!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)Listed mia 510 said:

It's not being biased read the CoC and the Eula...  Being offensive or derogatory toward others is what your being banned for.

you can get banned for more than swearing!

the morale of the story here is simple... This is not one of the corners of the internet where you can just do and say what ever you want without reprimand.

if you saw these chats years ago you would realize how much more helpful the moderators and chat filters are!!

Except when they go overkill.

They don't go overkill, every post I've seen in this thread has reason for banning,. Blowing loads in bursas... Suggestive sexual reference... Banable!

saying things about homosexuals is Not ok, you cannot degrade their life style cause you do not support the choice... Ban able!

I could keep going shall i

Edited by (XB1)Listed mia 510
  • Like 1

Just now, (XB1)Listed mia 510 said:

They don't go overkill, every post I've seen in this thread has reason for banning,. Blowing loads in bursas... Suggestive sexual reference... Banable!

saying things about homosexuals is my ok, you cannot degrade their life style cause you do not support the choice... Ban able!

I could keep going shall i

Yes, tell me what's oh so "bannable" in my message.

xOMwaqX.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Krak_Nihilus said:

Yes, tell me what's oh so "bannable" in my message.

xOMwaqX.png

The word 'gay' is an automatic 1-day suspension from the chat bot, and not any chat moderator. Truthfully, I see no wrong in the word itself, it seems it was banned for the primary context used, as derogatory.

19 hours ago, magusat999 said:

As a guide, if you dont no something, you shouldn't be like "I don't know..." and go back to talking about you freaking cat. You should be providing a service to the community so you go find out what you don't know, or tell a person in a gracious manner how they can find out. Isn't that what a guide does? Guide people???

Absolutely. Should you feel any Guide is outright dismissing another's needs, or is abusing their position, please, report it to Support, with any evidence you may have, under "Advertising and Community" > "Guides of the Lotus".

---

Same for those within this thread. Should you feel a Guide or other chat moderator has done wrong in some way, by all means, report the interaction to Support. 
If something is amiss, we want nothing more than to correct the issue.
Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, (PS4)IIIDevoidIII said:

The word 'gay' is an automatic 1-day suspension from the chat bot, and not any chat moderator. Truthfully, I see no wrong in the word itself, it seems it was banned for the primary context used, as derogatory

A bot should not have the power of suspending user, exactly because of its inability to consider context. Does that apply only to council chat? I'm pretty sure that I've seen people saying gay in region and then coming back within a minute, or maybe it just wasn't always that way and my info is outdated?

Edited by Krak_Nihilus

Just now, Krak_Nihilus said:

A bot should not have the power of suspending user, exactly because of its inability to consider context. Does that apply only to council chat? I'm pretty sure that I've seen people saying gay in region and then coming back within a minute, or maybe it just wasn't anyways that way and my info is outdated?

As far as I'm aware, this restriction is placed on all global chats, as PS4's bot behaves in this manner.

• Like 1