The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... Now that VR is a thing...

AOD_ukpezzzz

On 4/8/2016 at 11:51 PM, Plushy said:

OK Tenno, save some of your NO's. We will be seeing a lot more of this. It'll be another reoccurring topic like Excalibur Prime, or 1st person.  

or "can we have both genders for frames"

For those who want

6 hours ago, Mastikator2 said:

People keep saying lack of first person is a problem, I don't see it. I don't mean to pick on you in particular xaxal, in fact I like that you're concise.

The thing is there are already games for VR that are not in first person. What first person offers is 3D and immersion, it makes you feel like you're really there. That's not just something I'm saying as a exaggeration, it's true and everyone who has tried VR can testify to that.

In the case of warframe you would feel like you're outside the warframe looking down and controlling it like a puppy, which is lore friendly and it would make you feel like you're actually in the warframe-universe. You'd feel the depth and the speed as you run and jump, you'd feel the height of a vertical bullet jump.

The issue of motion sickness is not really about warframe, every game in VR gives you motion sickness. It's something you can train away, and if you can't then VR isn't for you. If you're not getting VR at all ever then this is a completely moot point for you, it's like asking "will it come to the Wii U" when you're definitely not getting the Wii U anyway.

I personally find third person views quite immersive in VR.  I quickly ignore that I'm seeing myself and get caught up in the the large scale of the world.

If anyone has Google cardboard, you can see the footage I put up in my VR setup guide in players helping players.  It's a little jittery from recording overhead so if it doesn't give you motion sickness then playing in VR won't.

On 9.4.2016 at 6:10 AM, paragasu said:

warframe in current VR is like finishing 1kg of weed in 30 second

maybe after we have those VR in SAO then we should consider

Thats not really virtual reality anymore.

Its like transferring your consiousness into a simulation which is on a level we have yet to reach.

11 hours ago, XaxalShiba said:

I still think that, if you really want more immersion, then a first person mode would work to increase that. Now I see where you're coming from in terms of immersion here. It would be pretty interesting to play Warframe that way. 

You're only real problem here is coding. I just don't see DE making the jump at this moment. Not with the kind of team and resources they have. 

Better just let the VR space mature first before jumping in.

True. My only issue with VR atm is the price as its new tech. But from what I keep hearing, it isnt going away anytime soon. 

19 minutes ago, HAYABU5A said:

VR will never be a thing, they just want us to think its a thing 

its a fad that will pass

I don't think it will fade away. It'll probably be a thing...

In a few years. (Due to price and hardware needed to run well)

10 hours ago, MattM01 said:

Who needs shrooms if VR ever comes to Warfarme. You know for a second I saw the post and thought they were talking about The VR6 12/24 valve VW engine of legend.

Hehe,  you stick one in your liset to double the effects of the special ability it comes with. 

22 hours ago, HAYABU5A said:

VR will never be a thing, they just want us to think its a thing 

its a fad that will pass

A fad like gaming consoles in the 80s. It might have a rocky start as the tech is only just on par now for the experience, yet its very close to being affordable and practical. Nothing like the experiments in VR in the 90s. Games with sitdown environments like any vehicle simulator is amazing. Enjoying Movies and 360 experiences is amazing with the head gear. Soon streaming will be good enough you can buy specific seating for popular sports and music events and actually be in the crowd while getting better audio of the event. Imagine VRing the front cam of cars in real racing sports. UUUuuhhhhh so good.

7 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

A fad like gaming consoles in the 80s. It might have a rocky start as the tech is only just on par now for the experience, yet its very close to being affordable and practical. Nothing like the experiments in VR in the 90s. Games with sitdown environments like any vehicle simulator is amazing. Enjoying Movies and 360 experiences is amazing with the head gear. Soon streaming will be good enough you can buy specific seating for popular sports and music events and actually be in the crowd while getting better audio of the event. Imagine VRing the front cam of cars in real racing sports. UUUuuhhhhh so good.

I just don't see it adding anything beyond a niche market.  Honestly its just a TV strapped to your face.  Yeah you can look around but you still have to have some form of controller and I can do that more easily staring at a TV, plus when I need to take a bio break I don't have to unstrap a pair of goggles. 

The question to ask yourself with any new tech is "what does this do better than what I already have". 

Now I see it reviving arcades and things with large custom controllers for short term play that adds to the experience.  And it's applications when combined with high end medical equipment is going to be outstanding.  But I do agree the "virtual seating" at sporting events, musicals, etc. will probably see a much bigger market than gaming.  Which is odd to think about.  I think gaming will not be VR's stand out market at all.

1 minute ago, (PS4)geomancer1980 said:

But I do agree the "virtual seating" at sporting events, musicals, etc. will probably see a much bigger market than gaming.  Which is odd to think about.  I think gaming will not be VR's stand out market at all.

Gaming likely wont be its biggest market, yet it will become more and more an optional peripheral like a game pad, flight stick or a steering wheel for games. You will see of course more games specifically built for a VR experience. But I see it becoming more of an option for many types of games. Like even Simcity, VR in a god sim would be quite enjoyable. Maybe not all the time,  yet as an option. Yet then you go off to watch youtube in a open theater on Mars. Because you can.

52 minutes ago, Coverop said:

I think the biggest issue is the Parkour 2.0

Otherwise, First Person Mode is very possible for this game.

Warframe would be the game most likely to cause vomiting with VR when you roll, backflip, get knocked over, suddenly get picked out of the sky in a bulletjump and you fly backwards due to a hook, fall out of the map etc.
this isn't necessarily a bad thing

5 minutes ago, Freelancer27 said:

You seem to have not noticed that Holograms do exist in this time. Albeit in the prototype stages.

Augmented Reality visors are more practical than real holograms at least at home for many many years to come. Quasi-Hologram Mirror and lens tricks while neat for seeing a 3d image without wearing accessories, takes up a lot of space and is not an immersive experience, and real plasma mirror-less laser holograms currently are super tiny and rudimentary with exceptionally large projectors. like TV was back in late 1920s. While augmented reality images are only for those wearing the headsets. At least its years from being functional  instead of decades.