Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

In Depth Chroma Changes: Full on Rework Suggestions (Updated 6/30/2016)

Sajochi

Wow this is almost everything I've always wanted since Chroma's release. Awesome ideas you got here.

The new passive idea is great for him, but I think it would be cool to have Chroma erupt the effigy energy wings during the 3rd jump as a nice touch. The Bullet jump can also be very useful, especially when fleeing (Although most enemies should be running away from Chroma).

I absolutely love the Spectral Scream buff, and in conjunction with his 3rd jump passive, we could fly around terrorizing all the greedy Corpus with our dragon breath! That'll teach them not to try and steal our Orokin gold.

The Changes to Elemental Ward make Chroma a much more versatile frame and a tactical team player as well. However, there's a few things I wanted to ask because I may have missed it somewhere in this glorious thread, but have you thought of any suggestions to improve Electric Ward? Let's say DE blesses us and this rework gets implemented verbatim, then the change to have overshields to add scorn would be useful for Electric Chroma, but other than that it isn't all too good. The electric arcs from Electric Ward are affected by range, and a lot of Chroma's don't build for range since they want max duration, so that limits the zapping to melee range with only a 25% chance of causing electric proc. So what would the game plan be for electric Chroma, other than having some fun with melee to make it a little more popular? And let's say Tempest Release is added as well, then Toxin would be used more for melee, because not only is Chroma faster, but he (maybe... hopefully) can blind enemies to open them up for finishers. On that note I think Tempest Release should just have a fixed range, and the other effects of the augment be affected by Strength and Duration, like the amount of armor removed and how long it lasts for Toxin Release. Also not sure if I caught this, but does changing your elemental alignment affect your Vex Armor or does it transition smoothly? If so then the increase in shields from Electric to build max scorn efficiently, and then switching to Cold for more armor on top of the previously gained scorn would be a great combination. I'll come back to this when I come up with some ideas for Electric Chroma.

Vex armor having the extra 25% knockdown resist is amazing in my eyes, and hopefully it's an additive increase with Power Drift.

You can have all of my upvotes for the Effigy rework. As for the augment, I'm not sure what it could even be. I don't think it should be damage related because Chroma already has the capacity to dish out good damage with Vex Armor, and the ability to buff its damage will carry it past solar map easily. I feel like it should do something about the radial scream, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like more CC with Chroma nonetheless.

Since DE is taking a look at some of the relatively new frames like Limbo, and have already done a few changes to Mesa, Chroma is right down the road. Here's to hoping they release an awesome deluxe skin for him too if/when they rework him.

9 hours ago, DerrickMathis said:

Wow this is almost everything I've always wanted since Chroma's release. Awesome ideas you got here.

The new passive idea is great for him, but I think it would be cool to have Chroma erupt the effigy energy wings during the 3rd jump as a nice touch. The Bullet jump can also be very useful, especially when fleeing (Although most enemies should be running away from Chroma).

That would be a cool addition. I'll add that in the visuals blurb.

I absolutely love the Spectral Scream buff, and in conjunction with his 3rd jump passive, we could fly around terrorizing all the greedy Corpus with our dragon breath! That'll teach them not to try and steal our Orokin gold.

Yup, that's the idea. Always bothered me that we were locked into a snail paced animation to use probably one of the more visually pleasing abilities in game.

The Changes to Elemental Ward make Chroma a much more versatile frame and a tactical team player as well. However, there's a few things I wanted to ask because I may have missed it somewhere in this glorious thread, but have you thought of any suggestions to improve Electric Ward? Let's say DE blesses us and this rework gets implemented verbatim, then the change to have overshields to add scorn would be useful for Electric Chroma, but other than that it isn't all too good. The electric arcs from Electric Ward are affected by range, and a lot of Chroma's don't build for range since they want max duration, so that limits the zapping to melee range with only a 25% chance of causing electric proc. So what would the game plan be for electric Chroma, other than having some fun with melee to make it a little more popular? And let's say Tempest Release is added as well, then Toxin would be used more for melee, because not only is Chroma faster, but he (maybe... hopefully) can blind enemies to open them up for finishers. On that note I think Tempest Release should just have a fixed range, and the other effects of the augment be affected by Strength and Duration, like the amount of armor removed and how long it lasts for Toxin Release. Also not sure if I caught this, but does changing your elemental alignment affect your Vex Armor or does it transition smoothly? If so then the increase in shields from Electric to build max scorn efficiently, and then switching to Cold for more armor on top of the previously gained scorn would be a great combination. I'll come back to this when I come up with some ideas for Electric Chroma.

On Electric Ward, that all depends on if Electric damage will get a second look as it has a decent CC mechanic built in, but outside of certain cases having pure electricity isn't beneficial.

As for building Duration over range, hopefully if these changes are considered, since you can technically refresh a ward every 15s, having the base duration would suffice, allowing for more diverse builds such as ranged ward Chroma or max power Chroma. I think I forgot to add that only a new ward can replace an old one so we're not refreshing Ice Ward every 15s, it would come down to having to make tactical choices.

On Tempest release, I was planning for fixed range AoE but increasing the power based on strength and duration would be a nice touch. On second thought, having armor reduction over blind might make it so Chroma isn't just another CC blind spam frame.

And yes, Vex Armor would scale parallel to whatever ward you have since I think it will be getting fixed number values at some point down the road. Although changing your ward would theoretically boost a certain aspect, Vex Armor would simply add to whatever that boost is until a new ward is applied, then it will add to the new ward's stat.

Vex armor having the extra 25% knockdown resist is amazing in my eyes, and hopefully it's an additive increase with Power Drift.

It would be an additive bonus as other abilities and even passives work in this sense.

You can have all of my upvotes for the Effigy rework. As for the augment, I'm not sure what it could even be. I don't think it should be damage related because Chroma already has the capacity to dish out good damage with Vex Armor, and the ability to buff its damage will carry it past solar map easily. I feel like it should do something about the radial scream, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like more CC with Chroma nonetheless.

CC might be the route to go, I'm just stumped since Effigy has a mix of everything in it's current form: damage, soft cc, loot increase (double credit bonus).

Since DE is taking a look at some of the relatively new frames like Limbo, and have already done a few changes to Mesa, Chroma is right down the road. Here's to hoping they release an awesome deluxe skin for him too if/when they rework him.

I'm extremely hopeful as well. Thank you for the feedback.

I wouldn't replace the ability, instead buff it.

1. Increase its reach like 30-35 meters max rank

2. Increase status chance to 100% max so you can spray it from far and stun enemies

3. Increase movement speed and enable parkour when using it (aimglide, bullet jump, wall latch)

He gains the ability to switch between all 4 elements (I only noticed 4 elemental effects so correct me if am wrong please) instead of Spectral Scream?

It's augment add the element in effect to apply to/ on allies (fire heals for example) or the element in effect creates an aura around Chroma that reduce the incoming damage or increase the output damage?

On 5/25/2016 at 6:56 PM, Gurpgork said:

I've been playing some Chroma lately, and a thought hit my mind about Elemental Ward. 

Why should all of the Wards increase survivability? Then you're just ending up with a bunch of abilities that do the same thing in a different way. That's why we have the pure Ice meta on him, because that element is the best for making Chroma a brick wall. 

I think that all of the elements should at least somewhat correspond to the Warframes they come from. For example, Ice could be the most defensive with a splash of crowd control because that's what Frost is like. Fire could get a combination of offense and crowd control, like Ember. Electric could get a little bit of everything, since Volt is a jack of all trades. Toxin could be pure offense, akin to Saryn. 

Then the elements wouldn't all just try to be carbon copies of each other, while all of them would create a distinct playstyle for Chroma. 

This is an interesting idea and probably will have to be done if the switch element is implemented.

I've read through this thread and debating in my mind. On one hand I agree chroma's current passive isn't a passive and the elemental switch would be great. On the other hand I agree with the poster who suggested it would be too OP being able to switch between any element mid mission.

I haven't put a lot of thought into this yet but it's a first suggestion to have the switch while avoiding it becoming overpowered. There should definitely be a big limit to how often you can switch and under what circumstances. Maybe:

• Casting Effigy gives you a small window to hold down 1-4 to switch to the assigned element.
  • Tapping 1-4 will active a power and you will forfeit the chance to switch elements. Until the next Effigy cast.
  • If a switch is performed, when Effigy is deactivated the pelt will return with the new elemental choice.
  • If a switch is performed while Ward is active powers will remain with the current element until duration cap. If Effigy is returned before duration cap it ends the ability and gives you the new element.
  • Performing a Switch will cause a radial discharge of the chosen element when the pelt returns and places a 20s cool down on Effigy.

17 hours ago, BeardyKyle said:

This is an interesting idea and probably will have to be done if the switch element is implemented.

I've read through this thread and debating in my mind. On one hand I agree chroma's current passive isn't a passive and the elemental switch would be great. On the other hand I agree with the poster who suggested it would be too OP being able to switch between any element mid mission.

I haven't put a lot of thought into this yet but it's a first suggestion to have the switch while avoiding it becoming overpowered. There should definitely be a big limit to how often you can switch and under what circumstances. Maybe:

• Casting Effigy gives you a small window to hold down 1-4 to switch to the assigned element.
  • Tapping 1-4 will active a power and you will forfeit the chance to switch elements. Until the next Effigy cast.
  • If a switch is performed, when Effigy is deactivated the pelt will return with the new elemental choice.
  • If a switch is performed while Ward is active powers will remain with the current element until duration cap. If Effigy is returned before duration cap it ends the ability and gives you the new element.
  • Performing a Switch will cause a radial discharge of the chosen element when the pelt returns and places a 20s cool down on Effigy.

In all honesty, having Chroma switch elements isn't as strong as people are thinking, and I detailed a system for EW since the problem lies in that ability rather than the rest of the kit seeing as a lot of power can come out of EW. There are a couple of reasons putting an element switch on Effigy is a bad route to go:

• it's an ultimate ability that is unlocked at rank 10. This can cause issues for newer players as getting to rank 10 can be a trial. You want to introduce them to an element switch mechanic early
  • It wouldn't fit for Effigy since it does the same function no matter what element. Elemental Ward has different effects depending on element besides damage.

Also, putting flat cooldowns on abilities is something that was discussed before, but Warframe's system relies on resources (energy). Energy might get an overhaul as well down the road, but gating abilities through cooldowns isn't the way to go about it. You do one or the other: have cooldowns and no energy system, or an energy system and no cooldowns. Since this is a primarily PvE game, one of these systems will work best.

17 hours ago, (XB1)Excalyber said:

When/how do you use spectral scream that makes it useful?

It's actually surprisingly good for fighting lephantis, and it's got a pretty good status chance, allowing for some decent stunlocking. As mentioned above, increasing its range, status, and movement speed would definitely work out just fine.

this thread is most likely going to be sent to the feedback section.

Got a big thread here that details a huge rework for Chroma. Other Chroma players have contributed and I'm always looking to see what other opinions there are.

That being said, SS doesn't need to be replaced. It needs a straight buff. Better range, status chance, innate punch through and no animation lock would be nice. Maybe have it count as a weapon for abilities such as Vex Armor and Shooting Gallery.

Wish they just change it to a blunderbus with a fanning aoe type instead the continuous stream, right now it slows you down heavily and making it a quick fan shot wouldn't hinder much movement. also make the procs 100% so it has atleast a cc use since the damage of the current spectral scream is pretty meh

On 6/28/2016 at 9:51 PM, BeardyKyle said:

I agree with Crazy above, I don't mean any offence when I say this but people need to stop thinking that any other element other than ice is acceptable in the higher tier content, I'm not saying they aren't fun, I prefer using electric myself but anything other than ice is just not playing optimally. Being able to swap them mid mission might add some utility play if DE are unwilling to at least make the other three elements worthwhile, I'd rather both Ideally but i doubt it'll happen. 

This isn't meant as a DE bash, I love the game and will continue to play it either way but I would prefer to be playing it with a working frame that I enjoy.

"Also, putting flat cooldowns on abilities is something that was discussed before, but Warframe's system relies on resources (energy). Energy might get an overhaul as well down the road, but gating abilities through cooldowns isn't the way to go about it. You do one or the other: have cooldowns and no energy system, or an energy system and no cooldowns. Since this is a primarily PvE game, one of these systems will work best."

Also I feel I should add that currently elemental ward cannot be recasted whilst active which in most builds at the moment is a minute + which is actually mechanically a "cooldown"

Apologies for the out of order quote crazy bud, I've yet to work out how to quote in edits....

Edited by Morphic224

5 hours ago, texrei said:

Can we just switch elements with his 1? We have a warframe changing its gender, so really why not

I am going to assume you mean Equinox. While it appears that Equinox changes gender it was already stated in one of the devstreams that Equinox is, in fact, male and doesn't actually change genders.

30 minutes ago, gunslinger20121 said:

I am going to assume you mean Equinox. While it appears that Equinox changes gender it was already stated in one of the devstreams that Equinox is, in fact, male and doesn't actually change genders.

Off-topic

The actual design of Equinox was switching between genders, so white is male and black is female. Then community gone apes!@# regarding genders and they have to make both as females.

5 hours ago, texrei said:

Can we just switch elements with his 1? We have a warframe changing its gender, so really why not

IDK about this, sounds generic. Kinda like how I didn't liked the idea of Ivara style ability for Vauban, and now people complains about it's press and hold mechanic for Vauban. I feel like changing color at command makes Chroma too powerful (imagine heal + shield regen + reload buff + armor all accessible from 1 frame in mission).

Just now, LogaMC1995 said:

Off-topic

Hide contents

The actual design of Equinox was switching between genders, so white is male and black is female. Then community gone apes!@# regarding genders and they have to make both as females.

IDK about this, sounds generic. Kinda like how I didn't liked the idea of Ivara style ability for Vauban, and now people complains about it's press and hold mechanic for Vauban. I feel like changing color at command makes Chroma too powerful (imagine heal + shield regen + reload buff + armor all accessible from 1 frame in mission).

Woops sorry for the offtopic. I agree with the OPness of that. And it was declared on a devstream the Equinox is in fac male.

I main chroma on PS4. I only use fire as ive found utilizing arcanes guardian and barrier with fire chroma allow me to buff weapons, heal myself/team members and yet still tank similar aggro to ice builds due to arcane barrier.

My only suggestions would be to allow vex armour to help scale SS and EFFIGY. It respect to it working with EFFIGY, you must be within range for the damage buff to apply.

As for Toxic, i think the ticks/sec need to work similar to EV Trinity. This would open up the ability to have a high power strength build and low duration setup that saps health from enemies at the cost of having a long lasting vex armour. But the power strength must affect the % of health taken overall from the duration. This opens up to having a range power build that would work effectively with EFFIGY given the suggestions made by OP.

1 hour ago, gunslinger20121 said:

Woops sorry for the offtopic. I agree with the OPness of that. And it was declared on a devstream the Equinox is in fac male.

Both forms of Equinox are female, one is just a more masculine form.

From: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/503478-building-warframe-equinox/?do=findComment&comment=5626550

Interesting idea's, CrazyCortex on how to rework Chroma to be more effective.

23 hours ago, CrazyCortex said:

Also, putting flat cooldowns on abilities is something that was discussed before, but Warframe's system relies on resources (energy). Energy might get an overhaul as well down the road, but gating abilities through cooldowns isn't the way to go about it. You do one or the other: have cooldowns and no energy system, or an energy system and no cooldowns. Since this is a primarily PvE game, one of these systems will work best.

Okay then a cool down on the option to switch rather than the ability itself. Either way Elemental ward can't be activated while active which means you're stuck with your elemental choice for the duration - which is kind of a cooldown as another poster mentioned

I was originally confused as to what happened, but it seems threads were merged. That's cool, I had to catch up and reorganize things in my head a bit.

About Element Switch and Elemental Ward, I was thinking about it further. Technically, EW has a cooldown as @Morphic224 said, so gating it with a ward refresh debuff would be redundant. So, instead of that, how about we remove the ward switch restriction and just have it the same as it is now with the other added benefits: element switch, current augment defaulted into the ability, new augment suggestion. That way, max duration builds are still stuck with the ward they cast until the duration ends, and can still swap elements for the sake of Spectral Scream and Effigy. I see that the whole deal with elemental swap is with EW since it offers some really good benefits, I just want to try and focus efforts to find a balance there.

On spectral scream, since the thread has been merged: if there are other suggestions regarding the ability that are not detailed in the OP, feel free to share them. It's detailed that SS and Effigy will scale with Vex Armor, so there's no worry there. Spectral Scream is at a weird place that it is pseudo-utility and damage. Maybe we should bring to a vote what Spectral Scream should be more: Utility or Damage. That was we can get a better idea on what changes we would like to incorporate for the ability.

@(PS4)blazinsuby87 that's an interesting idea for Toxin damage on Chroma, or just damage in general with his abilities. I'll go ahead and add that to the OP since there aren't a lot of build varieties for Chroma and building to have increased ticks/sec would be interesting.

Also, thank you @NovusNova. Chroma is my favorite frame and I just want to see him get some love in the future.

Edited by CrazyCortex