Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost / Frost Prime Build

Chromatrescu

Question

Which overall build is better ? 

Max Range [ Overextended + Stretch ] + Max Strength + Medium Efficiency + Low Duration + HP/Armored Mods 

Good Range [ Stretch + Cunning Drift ] + 245% Strength [ Intensify + Transient Fortitude + Blind Rage ] + Medium Effieciency + Medium Duration [ Primed Continulity ] + HP/Armored Mods   

Max Range [ Overextended + Stretch ] + Max Effciency + Medium Efficiency + Low Strength + HP/Armored Mods

Edited by LittleRiot.Teemo

25 answers to this question

Max Efficiency > everything unless you've got constant EV spam going on,
you don't need super-powerful Globes since you can stack 'em and let enemy fire make 'em stronger.

I really enjoy 235% Range on Frost, you get a comfy, Bombard-proof Globe
and can spread the debuff effects from Avalanche / Ice Wave over a massive area,
to say nothing of the total damage numbers (including those Avalanche kill blasts).

My general use build:

Energy Syphon, Enemy Sense
Intensify, Transient Fortitude
Stretch, Overextended
Streamline, Fleeting Expertise
Primed Continuity, Vitality

In my experience, Str is your least important stat, and i only use armor/hp with rage and melee, if i go for a guns/utility melee build then i go pure CC, with 175% efficiency, overextended/stretch/cunning drift, ice wave impedance and as much duration as i can fit in there.

Ppl who say Armor/str is mandatory need to stop leaving their globes unattended... It's not that hard to stack globe hp ._.

It really depends for which situation, I personally use these three:

Spoiler

For team defenses:

zrCG3OI.png

Solo defenses:

uBd1ZcQ.png

And overall runs/Infested:

9zjbZsu.png

But then again, it is really all based on playstyle, some prefer efficiency, others prefer to use duration mods and low efficiency, or do not mind spamming at high costs.

But if I had to choose a build out of the three, I would personally go for the first one.

15 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

you don't need super-powerful Globes since you can stack 'em and let enemy fire make 'em stronger.

This is the way I play Frost in team missions.  You need your globe big enough to protect team mates from the worst of the AOE while giving them enough room to move around inside.  Strength is basically irrelevant since enemy fire during Globe's absorb phase will give it far more health than you ever could, at any kind of higher level. Range also makes your Ice Wave and Avalanche go further, neither of which need Strength to be effective for crowd control.

My recommendation: max efficiency, max overextended range, forget strength, and get your duration back up to 100% so your CC abilities work properly.

Just a few things to consider about Frost:

Snowglobes recast within one another stack their HP. The upper limit is somewhere in the 1,000,000 range I believe. More power STR/Armor etc whatever for Bubble strength doesn't matter if you have the raw energy casting ability to repeatedly stack them which utterly irrelevantizes the need of base stats to enhance bubble durability. 

Avalanche's armor reduction effect? Recast it a few times. You do not need to strip armor fully on a single cast. Again power STR is not needed for this. And in fact, range and duration to encase enemies in ice is VASTLY more important for this ability.

Ice Wave? Again, power STR does not increase the slow's strength and therefore is not needed.

The frost/slow effects on Freeze? STR does not affect it at all—only its DMG. Again, range and dura matter more here.

There is only one time when power STR is really a factor for Frost, and that's if you're using his Freeze Force augment to give teammates an ice DMG bonus effect on weapon damage. However, since Freeze Force is honestly a pain in the butt to land on other players, I wouldn't advise using it. If you really want to use one of the elemental infusion mods, Smite Infusion on Oberon is going to go further in most cases. So, yeah. Stuff. Things.

Eff > range > dura

Order of importance IMO. Frost is a defender and a crowd controller foremost, and excels best when these are focused on.

57 minutes ago, LittleRiot.Teemo said:

Which overall build is better ? 

Max Range [ Overextended + Stretch ] + Max Strength + Medium Efficiency + Low Duration + HP/Armored Mods 

Good Range [ Stretch + Cunning Drift ] + 245% Strength [ Intensify + Transient Fortitude + Blind Rage ] + Medium Effieciency + Medium Duration [ Primed Continulity ] + HP/Armored Mods   

Max Range [ Overextended + Stretch ] + Max Effciency + Medium Efficiency + Low Strength + HP/Armored Mods

Max range is not always good, i have seen the bombar lv 100+ from upper floor jumped and rolled into my bubble in t4 def and released a rocket kill the team. Then i found out r5 overextend is the best size for globe, when they jump down they are not inside bubble and the teammate have plenty of room to play.

It's all about Range and Duration for me. A lot of people seem to forget that Avalanche and Chilling Globe freeze time is affected by Power Duration. Being able to freeze you enemies for 10 seconds or more is way more useful than having a more durable Globe, because if they're frozen, they wont even touch your Globe.

My build has: all the 4 basic power mods (Primed Continuity, Streamline, Intensify, Strech) + Transient Fortitude + Overextended + Chilling Globe + Primed Flow. I'm using the arcane helmet giving 15% Power Strength.

Edited by residente

3 hours ago, LittleRiot.Teemo said:

Max Range [ Overextended + Stretch ] + Max Effciency

I suggest adding Vitality(if you feel you are a little too squishy), because damage to HP is mitigated by armor and you can regenerate it at will with Life Strike. Fill the rest with strength accordingly if you want armor strip from Avalanche or duration mods if you want CC to last longer. You should have great, efficient all-round build. No need to focus on the durability of the globe as max efficiency allows you to cast globes as much as you like and if spawned every 3 seconds can render a large area impenetrable and safe from enemies(3 seconds is the invulnerability timer of the globe.)

5 hours ago, G4d0 said:

Max range is not always good, i have seen the bombar lv 100+ from upper floor jumped and rolled into my bubble in t4 def and released a rocket kill the team...

This^

I've had bad experiences from really small globes as well as really big globes.  Huge globes allow enemies to enter and often, the globe is so big you might not even realize an enemy is inside until you've been hit.

I personally like to keep my range somewhere in the middle ground so it's big enough to protect from Bombard blasts, but small enough for you not to be surprised by enemies entering.

2 hours ago, tizodd said:

the globe is so big you might not even realize an enemy is inside

Well, that's where the Enemy Sense part of my build comes into play,
you're supposed to Avalanche-freeze heavies before / Globe-push 'em after they breach containment :P

An overall build?

Solo: Efficiency/Duration/ Range

Team: Efficiency/ Range/ Duration

Efficiency is the most important thing and all things should flow into it... Even range and duration just make the act of casting more efficient by reducing the number of needed skills casts.

31 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

...you're supposed to Avalanche-freeze heavies before / Globe-push 'em after they breach containment :P

Yes, I avalanche often, but there's still point where the globe is just too big from my experience.  It's a bit counter-intuitive to be fighting enemies who are inside the globe with you.  The globe is supposed to be our safe haven.

41 minutes ago, tizodd said:

Yes, I avalanche often, but there's still point where the globe is just too big from my experience.  It's a bit counter-intuitive to be fighting enemies who are inside the globe with you.  The globe is supposed to be our safe haven.

...Depends.

I use to have the same view until they nerfed the heck out of Snow Globe almost two years ago and was shown that having enemies in your globe only works in Frost's favor by @Momaw ( I think it was Momaw... Apologies to injured parties if I am wrong)

With the augment equipped, the scale tips even more in Frost's favor when you think of it as they have a chance to be frozen.

It just depends on your comfort zone though.

For all the people worried about enemies "invading" the globe and posing a threat to you from inside...   Don't forget that snow globe also repels enemies when you cast it, you should be casting it every couple of seconds at stupid high enemy levels.  So sure enemies might stumble inside or jump inside or whatever, then you shove them out again.

On 23/5/2016 at 3:00 PM, NinjaZeku said:

I really enjoy 235% Range on Frost, you get a comfy, Bombard-proof Globe
and can spread the debuff effects from Avalanche / Ice Wave over a massive area,
to say nothing of the total damage numbers (including those Avalanche kill blasts).

My general use build:

Energy Syphon, Enemy Sense
Intensify, Transient Fortitude
Stretch, Overextended
Streamline, Fleeting Expertise
Primed Continuity, Vitality

Since it does useful enough ,thanks ^-^" 

But do you think it is nessessary to keep duration above 100% or just 50-100% durations ? 

I'm also curiours about the strength because i kept it at 220% to make their armor drop enough so me or teamates can finish them easier , but i do keep 65% duration just if we miss shots or we can't quick enough 

On 23/5/2016 at 3:19 PM, Momaw said:

This is the way I play Frost in team missions.  You need your globe big enough to protect team mates from the worst of the AOE while giving them enough room to move around inside.  Strength is basically irrelevant since enemy fire during Globe's absorb phase will give it far more health than you ever could, at any kind of higher level. Range also makes your Ice Wave and Avalanche go further, neither of which need Strength to be effective for crowd control.

My recommendation: max efficiency, max overextended range, forget strength, and get your duration back up to 100% so your CC abilities work properly.

I tried it , it seems that it took longer time to finish an enemy or killing them longer [ about LV150-200 ] also for Eximus ...

But i do use strength and a little duration about above 50% and it does reducing the armor decently , that could be a big game-changing 

But do you think it is nessessary to keep duration above 100% or just 50-100% durations ? 

More Duration is always nice but I find my 78% Duration to work well enough.

I'm also curiours about the strength because i kept it at 220% to make their armor drop enough

Really, if you're going into content that more or less requires Armor stripping, just bring multiple CPs,
it's a bit unfeasable to rely solely on Frost for that.

I tried it , it seems that it took longer time to finish an enemy or killing them longer [ about LV150-200 ] also for Eximus ...

But i do use strength and a little duration about above 50% and it does reducing the armor decently , that could be a big game-changing 

Usually your weapons are supposed to do the talking when you're frost. You want to keep some duration with efficiency and at least +45% or higher range to give protection to allies in the center of snowglobe (Overextended giving more breathing room and even moreso when put with Stretch). What people said about Power Strength with Snowglobe is pretty logical and is what i usually run all the time, but if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO have power strength I recommend AVOIDING BLIND RAGE as usually a cost effective globe with the other Strength mods WILL outperform in terms of power to energy cost.

Reducing armor is not Frost's biggest priority as Banshee and Ash have augments to remove armor without a heavy strength investments and running a team of Corrosive Projections, but yes, armor reduction can be game-changing, especially if you can completely remove enemy armor. HOWEVER, you will still need duration in Frost's case because once enemies are thawed out of avalanche, they'll have their armor back.

Buildwise I like to run this usually:

http://goo.gl/NP9p7C

Exilus is for preference. Alternatively, you can throw Power Drift in, and swap Overextended for Stretch, Ice Wave Impedance for Energy Conversion, Quick Thinking for Vitality, Primed Flow for Intensify, and Constitution of Transient Fortitude, allowing you to completely remove enemy armor so long as you pick up 1 energy orb before casting any ability for roughly 7 seconds.

armor removal build: http://goo.gl/yQK0f4

Good builds all.

These builds seem to focus quite a bit on a high level build for high level enemies.  At high levels strength is not that useful while duration can help keep the enemies frozen for awhile.

However at lower levels (T4d 20 waves, and the like)  Strength can really help and duration is not very important.  For lower level missions, focus on a built that is High strength, High range, high efficiency and low to minimal duration.  You'll be killing everything with your high strength avalanche or ice wave, so your duration wont matter much.