Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

17 hours ago, ZeroLiger said:

Unlike many other frames who have atleast one Power stat that doesn't benefit them much (allowing them to arrange there corrupted mods in way that negatively hits that stat they don't care about while maximizing the ones they do care about . Volt abilities are greatly impacted by all stats and once theres a corrupted mod included you feel as if you can't have an optimum build.

which is how it's supposed to be really. specialization via corrupted mods is supposed to cause drawbacks in other areas. this is just showing how well designed volt is in comparison to the 1 skill wonders...

1 hour ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

which is how it's supposed to be really. specialization via corrupted mods is supposed to cause drawbacks in other areas. this is just showing how well designed volt is in comparison to the 1 skill wonders...

Now THAT'S a brilliant point.

5 hours ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

Exactly. Which is why I don't use corrupted mods on my volt, and which is why it works so well for me, especially since I use his entire kit. 

Console guy here, I used Discharge a bit and am I missing something? It seems to turn everyone in range into a tesla coil, I used it in a MD grineer sortie and stunned everything within about 20 meters. I'll agree the damage stops really meaning much at 40+ (with 180% power!) but enemies seem to break out of it 2-4 seconds before the abilities ends. Is this a glitch?

The cc is good but a slight duration buff would be nice, 15-18 second base duration would be perfect. Also I see what people mean about the arc range, it's a bit pitiful.

Now about riot shied, it does seem a bit useless due to all of it's drawbacks, just lowered energy cost would fix it. And if half to use secondaries, it should atleast look like we have to, I held off on looking at Volt's rework til I hit him and was expecting him to hold out an arm out in front so maybe adding in that pose could atleast give a visible reason to be limited to secondaries.

And lastly the name, can we just change it back to Overload, Discharge just sounds a bit underwhelming for the ability and you won't find anything pretty if you search that in Google, or maybe even just Tesla (Coil) or Lightning Storm or STATIC Discharge!

Also last thing I just wanted to chime in on, Volt's prime effect for discharge should drop lightning bolts on every enemy hit like Shock, this actually happened for me one once with Overload when Volt Prime came and I was sad when I couldn't replicate it, I guess because it was a glitch.

18 hours ago, .Belial said:

discharge should be like novas prime and mags polarize mechanics. the range should be affected by DURATION.

since pretty much none of his otehr skills are affected by range, why does DE forces us to make another @(*()$ hybrid build. we got mainly strength and duration on volt abilities. to power up the speed (which is around where i build my volt), you need duration and strength, some eff is fine, but after that, you need to sacrifice duration or strength mods to get some ok range for his ultimate.

i agree.  three simple changes to make discharge viable

1. moddable telsa invulnerability period affected by duration
  2. give it m-prime mechanics
  3. remove dmg cap

44 minutes ago, (XB1)naruto1171 said:

Console guy here, I used Discharge a bit and am I missing something? It seems to turn everyone in range into a tesla coil, I used it in a MD grineer sortie and stunned everything within about 20 meters. I'll agree the damage stops really meaning much at 40+ (with 180% power!) but enemies seem to break out of it 2-4 seconds before the abilities ends. Is this a glitch?

The cc is good but a slight duration buff would be nice, 15-18 second base duration would be perfect. Also I see what people mean about the arc range, it's a bit pitiful.

Now about riot shied, it does seem a bit useless due to all of it's drawbacks, just lowered energy cost would fix it. And if half to use secondaries, it should atleast look like we have to, I held off on looking at Volt's rework til I hit him and was expecting him to hold out an arm out in front so maybe adding in that pose could atleast give a visible reason to be limited to secondaries.

And lastly the name, can we just change it back to Overload, Discharge just sounds a bit underwhelming for the ability and you won't find anything pretty if you search that in Google, or maybe even just Tesla (Coil) or Lightning Storm or STATIC Discharge!

Also last thing I just wanted to chime in on, Volt's prime effect for discharge should drop lightning bolts on every enemy hit like Shock, this actually happened for me one once with Overload when Volt Prime came and I was sad when I couldn't replicate it, I guess because it was a glitch.

There's a dmg cap on the Discharge ability. The faster you reach that cap, the faster the enemies stop being Tesla Coils

Kind of sad, but since I use his 4 for purely CC only, it works just fine for now. I agree that they should either remove that cap, or give us higher dmg cap.

My impressions with the current Volt.

Speed:

Still in an ever-growing hole.... Making it recast-able certainly helps, but when objectives diverge or are split i.e. Sabotage 2,0, Spy, Raids the issue remains.

Delay with casting is perhaps the most irritable. Even with mass lag I always obtained instantaneous speed with the old one; now, I might as well say that I'm 'lagging' in every mission. For a speed-oriented frame this is pretty counter-intuitive.

Suggestion:

Back to radial buff. Implement an opt-out mechanic assigned to a hotkey. No issues with rolling or back-flips, quick and easy to apply. Think of it has an options setting but in-mission. If still too OP, remove reload-speed buff. Since the idea was to create a mid-ground Volt for speed-lovers and speed-haters, I see no reason to even apply reload-speed buffs unless it was an excuse to call Speed OP and rework it as it is now.

Electric Shield:

Like-wise, a big mess. Number one issue is the pick-up option. I tend to put down multiple shields to revive teammates. Now, I find myself constantly letting them die whilst I unknowingly keep picking up and dropping my 'black' shields.

Shield Cap isn't necessary. It has duration unlike Globe. This means Volt has two caps to the number of shields he can place i.e. Duration of each shield, and Energy available. Not to mention, shield-size is unaffected by mods, and is not spherical defense. Too many limits in comparison.

Portability is also of great concern. Currently, Electric Shield faces:

1. High energy movement cost

2. Severely reduced shield size - frontal only

3. Limited weapon selection

4. Reduced movement speed

Suggestion:

Allocate pick-up option to hold-key. Or different key.

Remove one or two of portability issues.

Remove shield cap / reduce duration / shield size affected by range mod. If still too OP, remove AOE negation. Volt should not even have this given how small his shield is and how close he is to the shield - damage would still bypass. It would be more sensible to allocate it to Frost's Globe. 

Discharge:

Generally fine with the majority.

Suggestions:

Remove damage cap trade-off between damage and CC. We already have corrupted mod trade-off between Range + Strength and Duration + Range. Most frames provide both simultaneously, why should this be any different.

Suggestion : 

for Electric Shield + Shock combo.....make Volt can increase electric damage on Electric Shield bonus damage by cast Shock to Electric Shield if Volt is using Shock Trooper augment mod. default electric shield bonus damage is doubles critical damage + 50% electric damage.....with Shock Trooper now Volt can take the advantage of his augment mod by cast Shock Trooper to Electric Shield. the bonus damage added to Electric Shield is same as bonus damage to ally. without power strength mod Electric Shield + Shock Trooper will boost electrict damage by 150% because Shock Trooper boost 100% electric damage. 

16 hours ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

lol yea, even its hard for me to use corrupted mod except transient fortitude on volt. its a waste for volt's power stat to be under 100% 

Ok, first, I did not read all thirty pages of this topic, but I absolutely hate Discharge. It feels like a crappy Augment no one spends syndicate rep on. So, suggestion, bring back Overload and keep your Discharge mechanics as an Augment card for players that enjoy it.

Edited by (XB1)IconicOutcast
Meant to say thirty but phone put in three

48 minutes ago, (XB1)IconicOutcast said:

Ok, first, I did not read all thirty pages of this topic, but I absolutely hate Discharge. It feels like a crappy Augment no one spends syndicate rep on. So, suggestion, bring back Overload and keep your Discharge mechanics as an Augment card for players that enjoy it.

What, why? With high duration and range, you could stun CC 50 meters or more and lock them in place for more than 20 seconds.

If you're having problems with the stun not lasting long enough, lower your power strength. Mine is about 100% to 130% (115% power strength for my general build)

Atm the one problem that prevents a player from getting high Speed boost and strong Discharge is the dmg cap on Discharge. The faster you get to that dmg cap, the lesser the stun duration.

I just rather take a CC stun ulti rather than an ulti that only works superbly only once per area. And CC > DPS in lategame.

Edited by LunarEdge7

20 hours ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

Lol well that certainly is a nice way too luck at it. I agree the brainbusting it takes to mod for him is a sign of balance. But when you look at him then every other frame who doesn't have this predicament. You wonder if it is him who is the unbalanced one.

2 hours ago, LunarEdge7 said:

What, why? With high duration and range, you could stun CC 50 meters or more and lock them in place for more than 20 seconds.

If you're having problems with the stun not lasting long enough, lower your power strength. Mine is about 100% to 130% (115% power strength for my general build)

Atm the one problem that prevents a player from getting high Speed boost and strong Discharge is the dmg cap on Discharge. The faster you get to that dmg cap, the lesser the stun duration.

I just rather take a CC stun ulti rather than an ulti that only works superbly only once per area. And CC > DPS in lategame.

I played a high duration, high range volt and it's useless as if you attack one of the stunned targets it breaks the stun from all of them.

9 minutes ago, ZeroLiger said:

I played a high duration, high range volt and it's useless as if you attack one of the stunned targets it breaks the stun from all of them.

I think that's because of the health dmg cap on coiled enemies. Just attack the enemies that aren't Tesla Coiled and you should be good.

4 hours ago, LunarEdge7 said:

Short answer is team synergy. I only used my overload build in groups of 4 and mostly for defense missions with the Capacitance Augment. Our Nova would Molecular Prime and then I'd Overload to clear the room while giving the group a healthy overshield. Now the Discharge does barely enough damage to bring down higher tier enemies. I use a duration build when soloing and that works fine because I use Shocking Speed and I don't really need the Discharge, but on Exterminate missions it was nice to clear the enemy quickly without searching every room. Discharge just made Volt tedious instead of fun.

1 hour ago, (XB1)IconicOutcast said:

Short answer is team synergy. I only used my overload build in groups of 4 and mostly for defense missions with the Capacitance Augment. Our Nova would Molecular Prime and then I'd Overload to clear the room while giving the group a healthy overshield. Now the Discharge does barely enough damage to bring down higher tier enemies. I use a duration build when soloing and that works fine because I use Shocking Speed and I don't really need the Discharge, but on Exterminate missions it was nice to clear the enemy quickly without searching every room. Discharge just made Volt tedious instead of fun.

Like part of my quoted comment. In the lategame, CC overrules DPS. Enemies lvl 100 and up will just get tickled by Overload for a few seconds, and that's about it.

At least now with Discharge it'll lock almost every enemy in place.

oh no, apparently a personal bug then (usually just appearing on the most broken of messes): 

i have 1-6 enemies 5 meters away right in front of me talking and shooting at me, i discharge - but nothing happens. i think WTF? and discharge again - but still nothing happens, they still just stand there/ are moving a bit, talking and shooting at me without taking any damage or CC (and for no apparent reason - neither Null, nor Dispell - nor even Disruptor or Healer Aura there that could have possibly caused any interference). 

happens to me ca. 1/5 of the time regardless of on or off host - so i come here to see how everyone would be discussing this broken mess that doesn't even work at all 1/5 of the time, but nothing - "Volt would be so fine now because of his great CC" i read everywhere instead - apparently i'm the only one where it is super glitched... .  :( 

yeah, i'm done with Volt then until they fix what i'm experiencing, not gonna redownload everything because of this just to see if it might change anything. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)HELLHOUND_ROCKO said:

oh no, apparently a personal bug then (usually just appearing on the most broken of messes): 

i have 1-6 enemies 5 meters away right in front of me talking and shooting at me, i discharge - but nothing happens. i think WTF? and discharge again - but still nothing happens, they still just stand there/ are moving a bit, talking and shooting at me without taking any damage or CC (and for no apparent reason - neither Null, nor Dispell - nor even Disruptor or Healer Aura there that could have possibly caused any interference). 

happens to me ca. 1/5 of the time regardless of on or off host - so i come here to see how everyone would be discussing this broken mess that doesn't even work at all 1/5 of the time, but nothing - "Volt would be so fine now because of his great CC" i read everywhere instead - apparently i'm the only one where it is super glitched... .  :( 

yeah, i'm done with Volt then until they fix what i'm experiencing, not gonna redownload everything because of this just to see if it might change anything. 

I know how it feels...we have been fighting long and hard for change, let us do our best with what we can muster for the time being 

Discharge now requires you to be standing on the ground, and the Devs did say that they liked the idea of Discharge chaining through the floor, but the part that confuses me is:

Why does Volt still lift himself off the floor?

Was planning to show drawing of suggested animation, but don't know how to insert picture.

Edited by ElectronX_Core

44 minutes ago, ElectronX_Core said:

Was planning to show drawing of suggested animation, but don't know how to insert picture.

It's the "Insert other media" option just above the "Submit Reply".

3 hours ago, (PS4)HELLHOUND_ROCKO said:

If you can use your PS4 recording function to get some clips or images of the conditions under which this happens, and either link it here or in the Bug Report section for the PS4 that would go a long way to helping DE find, replicate, and crush that bug faster.

It would also be something we all could look at and see if we could replicate on the same platform or on different platforms.

A side note, as ElectronX_Core points out, Discharge "flows" through the floor geometry. I don't know what would be preventing it from affecting enemies on the same level, but this would be again a case of needing to see what's happening to you.

From personal testing, I get mixed results from casting Discharge while Wall Latched (yes it's cast-able from there). Sometimes it will "flow" to the ground, other times it does nothing.

I'm still totally against floor-locking Volt.  It's half about the Discharge animation that lifts you into the air and 974% about the game having no idea whether I'm standing on a floor due to wonkey geometry.  Fix that last bit COMPLETELY and there won't be much of a problem left.

Discharge DOES MISS THINGS.  I've seen this frequently enough, but it's FAR worse if you're below 145% Range.  That's now something of a requirement for Volt to use his 4.  This means the Discharge probably needs it's base range upped.