Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

No, most people think Volt is in a great spot and if not that than they believe he is in a better spot than most the cast so don't care to comment on a thread full of people that think otherwise.

He's one of the best scaling frames in the game. Double crit damage. Movement/attack/reload speed. Shields that can absorb infinite amounts of damage and can be repositioned. He trashes the majority of the cast in overall utility and scaling. If his 4 had no cap and he had even better CC than he already does then he'd be broken, he's already a top tier solo frame and squad frame. Why isn't he more popular? No idea, but he's great. I remember when people used to think Banshee was bad lmao

Edited by Music4Therapy
Grammar

3 hours ago, Music4Therapy said:

No, most people think Volt is in a great spot so don't care to comment on a thread full of people that think otherwise.

He's one of the best scaling frames in the game. Double crit damage. Movement/attack/reload speed. Shields that can absorb infinite amounts of damage and can be repositioned. He trashes the majority of the cast in overall utility and scaling. If his 4 had no cap and he had even better CC than he already does than he'd be broken, he's already a top tier solo frame and squad frame. Why isn't he more popular? No idea, but he's great. I remember when people used to think Banshee was bad lmao

If most people thought he was in a great spot he would be more popular.

His only scaling ability is his Shield, unless you count his ult which actually negatively scales. Also, double crit damage is cool. I wish there was a frame that could multiply critical damage beyond that. Oh wait, Banshee. Speed is a cool ability, if you're willing to make Discharge somewhere close to useless. Not to mention, it has a base duration of 10 seconds. Electric Shield does absorb infinite damage, but because of it's limited range is pretty pointless on defense missions, especially if there's a Frost in the squad. And sure, his shield can be repositioned, but it costs such a large amount of energy that it's usually just better to just cast a new one. Also, it slows Volt down, which doesn't even make any sense design-wise. He has very little utility beyond his prime counterpart being a good bomb carrier in LoR, and I can say for certain that if Volt had better CC. he wouldn't be broken, he would just be a better. Take Frost for example, his ult is 1000x better at cc than Volt's because it lasts longer, stops enemies from moving, and lasts as long as the duration says it'll last. Frost's ult is essentially a better version of Volt's. He is not a top tier solo frame. If he was, he would be more popular. This thread  has existed for so long because people passionately care about Volt and want to see him where he deserves to be.

Also if you were just trolling then just ignore this please

Edited by GeometricBison

12 minutes ago, GeometricBison said:

Frost's ult is essentially a better version of Volt's. He is not a top tier solo frame. If he was, he would be more popular. This thread  has existed for so long because people passionately care about Volt and want to see him where he deserves to be.

1) Frost's ult also prevents you from placing additional status effects on targets that are frozen and as such can be a massive detriment to your team of used in an endless mission due to it preventing slash/gas/corrosive procs from being placed. Frost also is much more CC oriented, he can't double crit damage or raise attack/reload speed like Volt. If you don't care about my opinion as an endurance player that plays a lot of Volt, take it from this established player:

2) Popularity has VERY little to do with how good something is or isn't. Saying he'd be more popular if he was better is like saying Ash isn't a good solo frame because he isn't popular. Volt has infinite scaling defense and absurd damage. He is an excellent solo frame AND an excellent frame to take into endurance runs to protect your party.

Edited by Music4Therapy

3 hours ago, Music4Therapy said:

1) Frost's ult also prevents you from placing additional status effects on targets that are frozen and as such can be a massive detriment to your team of used in an endless mission due to it preventing slash/gas/corrosive procs from being placed. Frost also is much more CC oriented, he can't double crit damage or raise attack/reload speed like Volt. If you don't care about my opinion as an endurance player that plays a lot of Volt, take it from this established player:

2) Popularity has VERY little to do with how good something is or isn't. Saying he'd be more popular if he was better is like saying Ash isn't a good solo frame because he isn't popular. Volt has infinite scaling defense and absurd damage. He is an excellent solo frame AND an excellent frame to take into endurance runs.

It's not that I don't care about your opinion, I just disagree with it. Also, how would I know that you're an endurance Volt player? Unless you have videos about it on YouTube, there's no way I would've guessed that.

In the video, Rio mentions that as a Volt, you're not going to be a damage dealer, yet you claim he can do absurd damage. If he can do absurd damage, why is he not described as a damage dealer?

In the video, Rio never outright stated that Frost's ult was worse than Volt's, they just excel in different areas. Also, if you were doing endurance runs, you should probably run with 4 CPs, as it would make armor a non-issue thus making corrosive procs or lack thereof due to Frost's ult a non-issue. Also, unless you're using a melee weapon and are invisible, gas procs aren't all that good anyways. If you're invisible, than cc is pretty much not needed at all.

Popularity has nothing to do with how good something is or isn't? So why don't more people play Hydroid? He's not popular, but that probably has nothing to do with him being bad. Ash isn't popular because DE have essentially removed all of his usefulness, and he works as a solo frame because Ash is really good at helping himself. He can turn invisible, he can teleport to enemies and inst-kill them with his augment, he can strip armor with his shuriken augment, and even his nerfed 4th ability is still useful in a solo setting. The only two abilities that help Volt in solo missions are his 3 and his 4. It could be argued his 2 also helps him, but if you build for his 4 you can forget ever using his 2 and vice versa. In most solo missions, the extra damage from his shield doesn't really matter because you should probably already have a weapon that can kill stuff just as fast without it at the point of the game I'm assuming you're at. It's only good for protection, which isn't bad, but you could probably just use corners to the same extent. Volt's 4 is usable if built for, but is still inconstant and in most solo missions would be surpassed by Frost's ult, Ember's ult, Rhino's ult, Inaro's 3, etc...

Also, if you really do endurance missions, you should try Equinox, she can actually do absurd damage.

1 hour ago, Music4Therapy said:

No, most people think Volt is in a great spot and if not that than they believe he is in a better spot than most the cast so don't care to comment on a thread full of people that think otherwise.

He's one of the best scaling frames in the game. Double crit damage. Movement/attack/reload speed. Shields that can absorb infinite amounts of damage and can be repositioned. He trashes the majority of the cast in overall utility and scaling. If his 4 had no cap and he had even better CC than he already does then he'd be broken, he's already a top tier solo frame and squad frame. Why isn't he more popular? No idea, but he's great. I remember when people used to think Banshee was bad lmao

Theres alot of iffy changes that were made that leave me feelimg sour. And none of the synergies are useful. His rework was alot of worthless hype, im dissapointed at the fact i was excited for this.

14 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

His ult reduces armor in %, no need for corrosive.

Do you not math? First off, an endurance Frost isn't going to have enough strength to strip 100% of enemy armor. If you are not stripping 100%, you aren't stripping enough. Enemies have a MASSIVE amount of armor quickly in endless, and because you can't proc corrosive nor slash effectively screwing your teams damage output. Even if for some reason he did (which he wouldn't), shielded enemies require slash, toxin, or gas procs to kill in a decent amount of time in endless, all of which Frost prevents with his 4. The argument above yours that 4xCP should be a given was better than that.

Endurance Frost recasts his 4 just before the i-frames fall off so you can have an invincible globe of protection around your team. Strength does nothing for that.

Edited by Music4Therapy

1 hour ago, GeometricBison said:

-snip-

I respect your opinion.

And imo, Equinox is the top damage frame in the game for endless, no contest. He does require a squad to go far, though. Octavia scales VERY well and is a top tier solo frame, but I wouldn't bring her to a squad as a damage frame in endless due to CC preventing enemies from damaging the Mallet, and you will want hard CC in an endless comp.

Edited by Music4Therapy

On 7/20/2017 at 3:17 PM, giovanniluca said:

Well they didn't bother even making a prime trailer, and the prime is just base volt with gold sticked everywhere, even the prime effect lightning on shock is recycled from the grineer toxic tileset, and you can't even recolor it so it's even more obvious.

Not entirely correct. All primes before saryn don't have a cinematic trailer (waiting on that rhino prime codex entry to come to life) and some don't have any kind of trailer whatsoever. Rhino prime was the first warframe to get a teaser. Volt got one too, and then once DE improved on making cinematics, saryn prime came out. I thought you could change the colors on the electricity. Interesting to note.

6 hours ago, Music4Therapy said:

I respect your opinion.

And imo, Equinox is the top damage frame in the game for endless, no contest. He does require a squad to go far, though. Octavia scales VERY well and is a top tier solo frame, but I wouldn't bring her to a squad as a damage frame in endless due to CC preventing enemies from damaging the Mallet, and you will want hard CC in an endless comp.

What if you had a squad of all Octavias and you used Mallet and stayed invisible? So long as you're not between an enemy and the mallet, everything dies.

Man, it's been a long time since I looked at this thread. How is is even still going? Volt is in a very good place, coming from a Volt main here. Just accept that discharge does something other than just deal damage.

Let it rest, people.

And try out some augments if you're still unhappy.

3 hours ago, TheSketchDevice said:

Man, it's been a long time since I looked at this thread. How is is even still going? Volt is in a very good place, coming from a Volt main here. Just accept that discharge does something other than just deal damage.

Let it rest, people.

I'm perfectly ok with the fact that Discharge doesn't deal a lot of damage. I actually wouldn't mind if it did even less damage so that there would be no need for the damage cap making it more consistent. My main gripes with Volt is that his sprint speed is too low, normal Volt's armor is too low, Speed's duration is too low, Speed doesn't synergize with his other abilities at all, picking up his shield costs too much energy, his shield doesn't synergize with his other abilities at all (except for his one but that's more of a useless gimmick than anything), and like I said before, his ult is too inconsistent. If all of these problems were fixed but Discharge's damage was nerfed to oblivion, it would still be the best rework out of all the frames in my opinion.

Also his augments are sort of gimmicky/crummy in my opinion.

1 minute ago, GeometricBison said:

I'm perfectly ok with the fact that Discharge doesn't deal a lot of damage. I actually wouldn't mind if it did even less damage so that there would be no need for the damage cap making it more consistent. My main gripes with Volt is that his sprint speed is too low, normal Volt's armor is too low, Speed's duration is too low, Speed doesn't synergize with his other abilities at all, picking up his shield costs too much energy, his shield doesn't synergize with his other abilities at all (except for his one but that's more of a useless gimmick than anything), and like I said before, his ult is too inconsistent. If all of these problems were fixed but Discharge's damage was nerfed to oblivion, it would still be the best rework out of all the frames in my opinion.

Also his augments are sort of gimmicky/crummy in my opinion.

Good to hear you aren't just crying for more damage like a lot of people I've seen. I hear your concerns, though I don't think changing his innate armor and sprint speeds is necessary.

His abilities rely on duration a lot, so I don't see why anyone would be problems with speed's duration. In most mission types you don't spend too much time going from point A to point B before being stationary for awhile. I do agree that speed doesn't really synergize with the other abilities too much. The shield I guess comes down to play-style. I don't ever pick it, nor do I find myself in situations where I would even want to. I don't think abilities have to work upon each other directly to be considered synergy. The simple fact that the shield and discharge work together to make Volt a bastion of defense and CC is synergy. Not to mention the crit damage from the shield is made more useful by allowing you to unload on now stationary targets. The damage cap on discharge is a minor inconvenience at most for me. i just recast it.

I guess I just tend to play a more stationary Volt than most people. 

I like capacitance. Maybe at super high levels it isn't as useful, but it's a good blanket just in case a charging butcher comes from behind. My teammates always appreciate the overshields too.

4 hours ago, TheSketchDevice said:

Good to hear you aren't just crying for more damage like a lot of people I've seen. I hear your concerns, though I don't think changing his innate armor and sprint speeds is necessary.

His abilities rely on duration a lot, so I don't see why anyone would be problems with speed's duration. In most mission types you don't spend too much time going from point A to point B before being stationary for awhile. I do agree that speed doesn't really synergize with the other abilities too much. The shield I guess comes down to play-style. I don't ever pick it, nor do I find myself in situations where I would even want to. I don't think abilities have to work upon each other directly to be considered synergy. The simple fact that the shield and discharge work together to make Volt a bastion of defense and CC is synergy. Not to mention the crit damage from the shield is made more useful by allowing you to unload on now stationary targets. The damage cap on discharge is a minor inconvenience at most for me. i just recast it.

I guess I just tend to play a more stationary Volt than most people. 

I like capacitance. Maybe at super high levels it isn't as useful, but it's a good blanket just in case a charging butcher comes from behind. My teammates always appreciate the overshields too.

Yeah, most game modes just make you stand around a lot, but could you imagine casting Speed making all of your casting animations faster? If that was a thing, I wouldn't even care about the damage cap at all. Also, if discharge scaled off of duration instead of range, you could play both a stationary Volt and a mobile Volt at the same time! Or, just switch between them really quickly. (I know I didn't mention that in my previous post but it's still a change I'd like to see) 

Edited by GeometricBison

6 hours ago, TheSketchDevice said:

Let it rest, people.

Yeah I take my Volt regularly to all stages of sorties. It's hard to measure "contribution" but unless we're talking about a grineer eximus stronghold I tend to have the most kills or the most damage on the team.

I think it's silly to say Volt is somehow incredibly neglected when you have frames like Wukong and Zephyr out there. I barely see Rhino, Ash, Atlas and Nyx anymore either.

13 hours ago, GeometricBison said:

What if you had a squad of all Octavias and you used Mallet and stayed invisible?

You don't need a squad of octavias, just one is enough to outperform volt with multishot, easy invisibility and mallet.

11 hours ago, TheSketchDevice said:

Just accept that discharge does something other than just deal damage.

The problem is not if discharge deals damage or not. It's that it's a horrible ability and other warframes have it with no limitations and with better stats, remove it Volt needs something original.

His abilities rely on duration a lot

2 and 3, modding her for duration has no effect on 4 unless you go negative, modding forces speed play stationary shield, carring the shield, or full discharge build.

sprint speeds

When you use speed on Volt everyone leaves you behind, because other warframes have an higher speed for some reason while keeping movement abilities.

6 hours ago, Ventura_Highway said:

I think it's silly to say Volt is somehow incredibly neglected when you have frames like Wukong and Zephyr out there. I barely see Rhino, Ash, Atlas and Nyx anymore either.

Who cares if a lot of the other warframes are so strong that just make his existence pointless, Zephyr and Rhino are used, they are boring but still useful, Zephyr needs to fly for real and not be a tank with speed, Ash is strong but brings no utility to the team and one of his augments make his 3 better than the 4 apparently, Atlas has issues in his kit, Nyx is just sad because her main use which is 3 is easily replaced by weapons and other warframes and her 2 is the weak 3, basically Oberon is the new Nyx with having radiation everywhere and Loki can replace her with an augment.

Edited by giovanniluca

4 hours ago, giovanniluca said:

You don't need a squad of octavias, just one is enough to outperform volt with multishot, easy invisibility and mallet.

I wasn't trying to think up a scenario where a Volt would be absolutely useless, I was just asking if bringing 4 Octavias for endurance runs would work well because he said that he wouldn't bring Octavia to an endurance run because, due to the cc from a non-Octavia frame, enemies wouldn't be able to attack the mallet.

9 hours ago, giovanniluca said:

The problem is not if discharge deals damage or not. It's that it's a horrible ability and other warframes have it with no limitations and with better stats, remove it Volt needs something original.

2 and 3, modding her for duration has no effect on 4 unless you go negative, modding forces speed play stationary shield, carring the shield, or full discharge build.

When you use speed on Volt everyone leaves you behind, because other warframes have an higher speed for some reason while keeping movement abilities.

Well, I don't know what to tell you bud, you're just wrong.

3 hours ago, TheSketchDevice said:

I understand that you have a differing opinion than someone else and it's within your right to speak your opinion whenever you feel like you should, but do you think you can provide reasoning for it rather than just saying the other person is wrong?

Just now, GeometricBison said:

I understand that you have a differing opinion than someone else and it's within your right to speak your opinion whenever you feel like you should, but do you think you can provide reasoning for it rather than just saying the other person is wrong?

Well, no. I had responded to you earlier in the thread because you made valid points of conversation. He didn't. I'm not really super committed to this thread either.

15 minutes ago, TheSketchDevice said:

He's wrong about what exactly?

Discharge is a good candidate for worst ability in the game. Because of the nonsensical damage cap mechanic, enemies in close proximity of eachother can break out of CC faster than it takes volt to complete the casting animation, making him a sitting duck. Self CC anyone? Too often people just assume this ability does what it claims to do, but if you try to use it in situations where you're at serious risk it will do you more harm than good. Even in the best cases it provides inconsistent, unreliable and unpredictable CC which is not very useful. Test it, read up on it, watch a youtube video, this sadly is fact.

Edited by Mudfam

Just now, Mudfam said:

He's wrong about what exactly?

Discharge is a good candidate for worst ability in the game. Because of the nonsensical damage cap mechanic, enemies in close proximity of eachother can break out of CC faster than it takes volt to complete the casting animation, making him a sitting duck. Self CC anyone? Too often people just assume this ability does what it claims to do, but if you try to use it in situations where you're at serious risk it will do you more harm than good. Even in the best cases it provides inconsistent, unreliable and unpredictable CC which is not very useful. Test it, read up on it, watch a youtube video, this is sadly is fact.

Volt main. Definitely have done plenty of testing. Disagree.

2 minutes ago, TheSketchDevice said:

Volt main. Definitely have done plenty of testing. Disagree.

You disagree with proven well documented facts, the wiki even, video evidence. OK. Good for you then.

Edited by Mudfam

Just now, Mudfam said:

You disagree with well documented facts, the wiki even. OK. Good for you then.

You disagree with my personal experience in the actual game with my main Warframe. OK. Good for you then.

Needless to say I regret posting in this thread. Don't quote me again. I'll be enjoying Volt in the meantime.