Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

3 hours ago, giovanniluca said:

I should've said it's super op.

People like this is why I left this game all they say is OP or let's Nerf this because because I stink at playing and someone did better than me so it has to be OP. I guess I am not coming back anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)cooper_m22 said:

People like this is why I left this game all they say is OP or let's Nerf this because because I stink at playing and someone did better than me so it has to be OP. I guess I am not coming back anytime soon.

I said it's irony, I mean the opposite.

Read the previous comments because yours is not appropriate.

Edited by giovanniluca

6 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

I said it's irony, I mean the opposite.

Read the previous comments because yours is not appropriate.

OK you got me there sorry. I just don't understand all this Nerf anymore. Volts shield is not op. I miss the old days of this game.

Just now, (PS4)cooper_m22 said:

OK you got me there sorry. I just don't understand all this Nerf anymore. Volts shield is not op. I miss the old days of this game.

Personally I'm still waiting for a proper rework. But he probably got the OK throw it forever again status.

18 hours ago, giovanniluca said:

Apparently 45° frontal immunity to damage is evil super op but all other forms of invincibility are ok.

Trying to run around with the shield vs just standing behind it has left me feeling like the drawbacks MASSIVELY outweigh the benefits of Riot Shield.  Some of those drawbacks are called for; others not so much so.

----------------------------------------------

I'm sitting here on my deck drinking mead, listening to windchimes, the rain, frogs, and watching the lightning.  I'm dreaming of a better Volt, but not something totally different or balance destroying.

1. Stats:  By now you can all sing along.  Base Volt whould be bumped to at least 65 armor, sprint speed of 1.1 - 1.2, and a base energy of 150.  Volt Prime just needs the sprint buff.

2. Passive:  I love the Electricity proc from his passive, but the damage is meaningless.  How about he just procs Electricity while he's moving?  No more than Shocking Speed, and no less.  I wouldn't say no to an energy regen while he's moving in contact with the ground either, but I don't have my heart set on that.

ABILITIES:  I can't stop thinking about a tap-or-hold mechanic here.  Tap a button for one form of the ability, hold for another.  No selectable options either, just tap or hold.  One or another.  Sort of positive vs negative.

1. Shock:  Tapped:  It should be basically the same (albeit with better aim control and less likelyhood of targeting corpses).  Maybe better damage, maybe it whould make enemies fall down.

Held:  Ball Lightning.  I'm thinking of a relatively randomly moving "ball" of electrostatic force that dances and streaks in basically the direction you cast it.  Proximity to a foe causes it to begin shocking them, proximity to electronics or containers charges them.  When it reaches a distance or duration cap, or when it actually TOUCHES an enemy, it detonates in a massive flare of charged plasma.  Base cost of 50 energy, scales off of Duration and Strength, double Shock's damage on the blast (which ragdolls enemies)

2. Speed:  Bump up the base duration to 15 seconds AT THE LEAST.

Held:  Charged Displacement.  Short- to mid-range directional blink towards your reticle.  Enemies within range of the starting position are sucked to where you were.  Enemies at your ending position are thrown back and catch an Electricity proc.  Base cost 50 energy, scales off of Range.

3. Electric Shield:  ES as per it's present state. Lets actually balance Riot Shield like a real skill (and not some weird appendage to one).  That would work beautifully here.  Scale it off of Range and/or Duration if you have to, whatever.  Just make it stop punching my energy pool in the main exhaust port, and KILL the "slows you down" aspect completely.  -Yeah, no "held" mechanic here.  Doesn't feel needed-

4.  Ove-- errr...  Discharge:  I'm not asking for much here, just a guaranteed 5 second paralysis and air casting.

Held: St. Elmo's Fire.  Volt creates a large electrostatic anomaly (a la prettier Shock Eximus field) that inflicts continuous Electricity damage to enemies caught inside, randomly stuns them (15-20%ish chance per second, scales up from there with Strength), and weakens them to Electricity damage.  Base duration of 20 seconds, base cost of 100 energy, resistance reduction and damage scale with Strength.  Probably low actual damage, but I wouldn't say no to something with percentile damage built in, or perhaps it adds a percentile damage effect to other skills used on targets within its radius.

------------------------------

Just a thought.  Storm's winding down, and I am out of mead.  I'm going to sleep if possible.

Edited by Cytobel

On 5/5/2017 at 0:11 PM, Cytobel said:

Trying to run around with the shield vs just standing behind it has left me feeling like the drawbacks MASSIVELY outweigh the benefits of Riot Shield.  Some of those drawbacks are called for; others not so much so.

----------------------------------------------

I'm sitting here on my deck drinking mead, listening to windchimes, the rain, frogs, and watching the lightning.  I'm dreaming of a better Volt, but not something totally different or balance destroying.

1. Stats:  By now you can all sing along.  Base Volt whould be bumped to at least 65 armor, sprint speed of 1.1 - 1.2, and a base energy of 150.  Volt Prime just needs the sprint buff.

2. Passive:  I love the Electricity proc from his passive, but the damage is meaningless.  How about he just procs Electricity while he's moving?  No more than Shocking Speed, and no less.  I wouldn't say no to an energy regen while he's moving in contact with the ground either, but I don't have my heart set on that.

ABILITIES:  I can't stop thinking about a tap-or-hold mechanic here.  Tap a button for one form of the ability, hold for another.  No selectable options either, just tap or hold.  One or another.  Sort of positive vs negative.

1. Shock:  Tapped:  It should be basically the same (albeit with better aim control and less likelyhood of targeting corpses).  Maybe better damage, maybe it whould make enemies fall down.

Held:  Ball Lightning.  I'm thinking of a relatively randomly moving "ball" of electrostatic force that dances and streaks in basically the direction you cast it.  Proximity to a foe causes it to begin shocking them, proximity to electronics or containers charges them.  When it reaches a distance or duration cap, or when it actually TOUCHES an enemy, it detonates in a massive flare of charged plasma.  Base cost of 50 energy, scales off of Duration and Strength, double Shock's damage on the blast (which ragdolls enemies)

2. Speed:  Bump up the base duration to 15 seconds AT THE LEAST.

Held:  Charged Displacement.  Short- to mid-range directional blink towards your reticle.  Enemies within range of the starting position are sucked to where you were.  Enemies at your ending position are thrown back and catch an Electricity proc.  Base cost 50 energy, scales off of Range.

3. Electric Shield:  ES as per it's present state. Lets actually balance Riot Shield like a real skill (and not some weird appendage to one).  That would work beautifully here.  Scale it off of Range and/or Duration if you have to, whatever.  Just make it stop punching my energy pool in the main exhaust port, and KILL the "slows you down" aspect completely.  -Yeah, no "held" mechanic here.  Doesn't feel needed-

4.  Ove-- errr...  Discharge:  I'm not asking for much here, just a guaranteed 5 second paralysis and air casting.

Held: St. Elmo's Fire.  Volt creates a large electrostatic anomaly (a la prettier Shock Eximus field) that inflicts continuous Electricity damage to enemies caught inside, randomly stuns them (15-20%ish chance per second, scales up from there with Strength), and weakens them to Electricity damage.  Base duration of 20 seconds, base cost of 100 energy, resistance reduction and damage scale with Strength.  Probably low actual damage, but I wouldn't say no to something with percentile damage built in, or perhaps it adds a percentile damage effect to other skills used on targets within its radius.

------------------------------

Just a thought.  Storm's winding down, and I am out of mead.  I'm going to sleep if possible.

I think I like the little twists you added of what most us have been saying. 

IMO volt is mostly fine, but the damage cap on his ult is completely unreasonable and totally defeats the purpose. Enemies "emit arcs of electricity like Tesla Coils" - to break eachother free of the CC and make the ability cast worthless.

To make matters even worse, volt's passive will actually make enemies break free even faster!

This is just totally backwards, you really want to use this on crowds, but doing so actually makes it weaker. Enemies shocking eachother can't even increase damage due to the cap, literally all this does is allow them to break free faster.

I don't understand why any ult should ever be this weak when other frames have such powerful ults (e.g. frost). An ult that only deals piddly amounts of damage in an AoE should never be a thing. Clearing rooms of level 10 enemies can be fun I guess, but becomes useless once you're past Earth, "ultimates" should have some use in late game content.

volt passive should works like nidus symbiote thing, it should works like a counter that can only be used when volt use his power, and that counter should be on screen like nidus not on buff section, what volt passive does is like charging himself with electricity. 

nidus appearance changed when he reached 10 on counter. with that counter system on volt, volt should have enhanced visual on him when his capacitor (counter) reached certain number like having lightning aura or something (high voltage mode). volt should not able to casts discharge until he charges himself to certain amount of voltage, many aspects like duration, damage, range of discharge will increased based on how much voltage volt stored in his capacitor. discharge will does better job and has enhanced visual when volt is in his lightning aura. 

but i still dont know the best way on how volt stores voltage to his capacitor. 

I like your idea a lot, but you're turning a passive into the core of the Warframe, and I highly doubt DE will bother doing something like that.

His current passive is based on static electricity, and he charges it up by walking. If it was for me, I would change that +1000 electricity damage for +100% power strength on the next Shock/Discharge.

I like the idea, but volt wasn't designed to have any visual changes when things happen.
Keep in mind Volt is a VERY old warframe, dating back to the indev stages of the game, and so his overall design and interactions are equally as old. Even if its a lightning aura around him, having him standing there with no electricity around him because he has no charge, would look very strange, considering he has capacitors on his arms that would always be buzzing XD

In terms of using his charge to cast his abilities... no. That wouldn't work. It doesn't charge anywhere near fast enough to make it viable. Unless you're doing it at 10 charge and you can cast, it just wouldn't work, and would severely hamper Volts damage potential.

5 minutes ago, residente said:

I like your idea a lot, but you're turning a passive into the core of the Warframe, and I highly doubt DE will bother doing something like that.

His current passive is based on static electricity, and he charges it up by walking. If it was for me, I would change that +1000 electricity damage for +100% power strength on the next Shock/Discharge.

This. 

But his passive should have a small amount of fine tuning. Mainly so that it's useful with all weapons, not only single fire, high damage weapons. 

Any a base damage boost to his abilities when using the damage bonus for an ability would be nice too. 

6 minutes ago, residente said:

isn't nidus counter also his passive? because what i read in wiki thats one of his passive other than his undying mode

1 hour ago, Mudfam said:

IMO volt is mostly fine, but the damage cap on his ult is completely unreasonable and totally defeats the purpose. Enemies "emit arcs of electricity like Tesla Coils" - to break eachother free of the CC and make the ability cast worthless.

To make matters even worse, volt's passive will actually make enemies break free even faster!

This is just totally backwards, you really want to use this on crowds, but doing so actually makes it weaker. Enemies shocking eachother can't even increase damage due to the cap, literally all this does is allow them to break free faster.

I don't understand why any ult should ever be this weak when other frames have such powerful ults (e.g. frost). An ult that only deals piddly amounts of damage in an AoE should never be a thing. Clearing rooms of level 10 enemies can be fun I guess, but becomes useless once you're past Earth, "ultimates" should have some use in late game content.

Play Nezha, better Volt.

8 minutes ago, Stormandreas said:

I like the idea, but volt wasn't designed to have any visual changes when things happen.
Keep in mind Volt is a VERY old warframe, dating back to the indev stages of the game, and so his overall design and interactions are equally as old. Even if its a lightning aura around him, having him standing there with no electricity around him because he has no charge, would look very strange, considering he has capacitors on his arms that would always be buzzing XD

In terms of using his charge to cast his abilities... no. That wouldn't work. It doesn't charge anywhere near fast enough to make it viable. Unless you're doing it at 10 charge and you can cast, it just wouldn't work, and would severely hamper Volts damage potential.

volt never has electricity around him tho unless you cast speed with shocking speed augment, and the capacitor counter lightning aura is to show that he is like overloaded from too much energy, just like super saiyan in dragon ball.

not abilities tho, just 1, discharge. because there will be no discharging if there is no charging.

2 hours ago, FitzSimmons said:

the main reason why volt doesnt kill with his electricity, its because his name is volt, not amp. its not voltage that kills, its the current lol

Make a new awesome electrical frame called Amp. Problemz solvd.

Or that umbra stuff from 2 years ago...

8 hours ago, FitzSimmons said:

isn't nidus counter also his passive? because what i read in wiki thats one of his passive other than his undying mode

Nidus was built with his need to build stacks built in, his 4 requires it and it adds to his ability to do damage and survive. Bolting on his gimmick to older frames is not going to go well. Maybe a new electricity themed frame, with stacks in mind, would be better.

As I pointed out in another thread, as it is volt's passive is actually detrimental to his ult, because the damage is capped anyway and adding damage from the passive only results in enemies breaking free from the CC faster. How backwards is that?

The way the damage cap works on volt's ult is just completely broken. You can't actually increase the duration in any way, casting it on crowds that link to eachother doesn't increase the damage because it's capped but only reduces the duration and his passive only decreases the duration further. How this got past the people designing it I really don't know.

I quite like the general idea of the OP, I don't have particularly high hopes for something like this happening though. Getting a fix for the utterly broken ult would be a start :/