Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

am i the only one who thinks oberon needs a rework?

(PSN)Vex-Star26

I recently got oberon and started playing him for a bit and I have too say I really like him but the problem is when I went on youtube and the forums everyone said is underpowered and simply underclassed dont get me wrong im all for playing the way you wanna play and you shouldn't care what other people think but its simply the facts as a offensive healer you can compare him to nearly every other frame in the game speaking of youtube I was watching a youtuber by the name of rahetalius and he made a video called petty perspective: Oberon and in the video he was talking about some points I just mentioned and I was really surprised our thoughts on oberon were so simular but he said something else that got me thinking he said trinity is just simply better at oberon than healing and unless you have alot of time and rng on your side its gonna be hard for newer players to get equinox whereas oberon is much easier but is just so underpowered that noone really wants to use him even doe hes so easy to get it was also stated that oberon should be reworked on his ability's like hallowed ground instead of the armor buff leaving when you step off it should stay for longer or maybe when allies step in hallowed ground it restores health speaking of health he also said renewal should be able to overheal teammates (depending on how powerful the players renewal is ) and finally reckoning should simply receive a damage buff which would be nice ( most of these points were made by rahetalieus I just added some points in there myself)

Yeah, you're definitely the only one who thinks he needs a rework. It isn't like people have been asking DE to make desperately needed changes for years, or anything. In fact, there's definitely not a ton of other threads created by people asking for said changes that you'd quickly find if you were to use the search function and type in "oberon"!

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Asdeft said:

Of course everyone wants him to have a rework, but even more importantly he needs some @(*()$ identity. His skills and description imply he is a paladin but he keeps getting treated like a Druid.

nope not only you think he need reword and yep , he is much more like druid than pal for now MUUUCH more the paladins are heavy armored warrior's with no fear in hearth who actualy go into close range combat with enemies ...but oberon well xD every1hing making him much more like a flower :D even his feyarch skin

25 minutes ago, (PS4)Asdeft said:

Of course everyone wants him to have a rework, but even more importantly he needs some @(*()$ identity. His skills and description imply he is a paladin but he keeps getting treated like a Druid.

If we're going by RPG tropes, druids are just tree-hugging versions of Paladins. Paladins uphold their god(s) and use their power to maintain the peace, while Druids uphold nature and use its power to maintain peace.

Its not really an identity crisis.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Vex-Star26 said:

wow i wonder why doesn't DE do it then if such a large part of there player base wants him to be reworked

I'm pretty sure he would be up for a rework after limbo or after hydriod. DE does listen to the player base and most of them wanted limbo to have a rework more than Oberon. Oberon is in a bad place but he is able to make it a bit longer. Limbo on the other hand is considered garbage by most players and DE is trying to recycle the garbage before moving to the others

2 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

He should be our beast master with summoning multiple Kavats and Kubrows specters. Why should the crazy Cat lady and Dog Trainer have all the fun? 

NO NO NO he doesn't. No ones ever liked that idea but since it became his passive everyone is trying to run with it. Bad tenno NO NO

7 hours ago, Demlier said:

nope not only you think he need reword and yep , he is much more like druid than pal for now MUUUCH more the paladins are heavy armored warrior's with no fear in hearth who actualy go into close range combat with enemies ...but oberon well xD every1hing making him much more like a flower :D even his feyarch skin

Flower? Try Monarch Butterfly.  And the basis for his character is somewhere between Protector of the Realm (Galahad) and Lord of the Forest (Oberon) so he kinda works as a heavily armored, sword-and-shield knight with flora and fauna accents.

2 hours ago, (XB1)KickassNinja14 said:

I'm pretty sure he would be up for a rework after limbo or after hydriod. DE does listen to the player base and most of them wanted limbo to have a rework more than Oberon. Oberon is in a bad place but he is able to make it a bit longer. Limbo on the other hand is considered garbage by most players and DE is trying to recycle the garbage before moving to the others

makes sense

12 hours ago, Alma_Elma said:

If we're going by RPG tropes, druids are just tree-hugging versions of Paladins. Paladins uphold their god(s) and use their power to maintain the peace, while Druids uphold nature and use its power to maintain peace.

Its not really an identity crisis.

But those are still two very different tropes that can be their own individual frames for people who want to live their fantasies properly rather than having...this mess of a frame. Using Nature as a basis for a frame's powers is very different than using holy/divine magic and should give off a different feel. In general, he has a mix of both of these and prevails on neither. He does not feel like a tanky paladin with the power of the gods always at his side to charge in nor does he feel like he commands the wrath/caress of nature to aid him wherever he goes. He definitely has an identity crisis which is manifested with his new passive. 

14 hours ago, (PS4)Vex-Star26 said:

I recently got oberon and started playing him for a bit and I have too say I really like him but the problem is when I went on youtube and the forums everyone said is underpowered and simply underclassed dont get me wrong im all for playing the way you wanna play and you shouldn't care what other people think but its simply the facts as a offensive healer you can compare him to nearly every other frame in the game speaking of youtube I was watching a youtuber by the name of rahetalius and he made a video called petty perspective: Oberon and in the video he was talking about some points I just mentioned and I was really surprised our thoughts on oberon were so simular but he said something else that got me thinking he said trinity is just simply better at oberon than healing and unless you have alot of time and rng on your side its gonna be hard for newer players to get equinox whereas oberon is much easier but is just so underpowered that noone really wants to use him even doe hes so easy to get it was also stated that oberon should be reworked on his ability's like hallowed ground instead of the armor buff leaving when you step off it should stay for longer or maybe when allies step in hallowed ground it restores health speaking of health he also said renewal should be able to overheal teammates (depending on how powerful the players renewal is ) and finally reckoning should simply receive a damage buff which would be nice ( most of these points were made by rahetalieus I just added some points in there myself)

You are not the only one. But I am not among the many.

While some minor tweaks and touch-ups would be cool (and the accessibility of his new passive is a little sad, imo), Oberon's fine. He's pretty good and super-useful, but with the super-customizable and relatively overpowered nature of the Tenno, most of the time he's really just not required. He's a little like the Atlas who shows up to an Exterminate: capable and could probably solo the mission, but everyone else is moving around and killing too fast for him to get involved, so most of his effort is just in keeping up with the squad. Oberon has a similar issue. He deals damage, but other frames deal more damage. He's a healer, but other frames (okay, one other frame) have bigger heals (okay, one bigger heal). If a squad needs damage, they ask for Excal, or Saryn, and if a squad needs a support they'll look for only Trinity. They're simple, well-known picks that get the job done.

In a game where many players value specialization, multitalented units seem lackluster. Oberon is magical in the right teamcomp (I prefer his heal to Trin's when the squad is tanky, especially if a Chroma is there since Renewal constantly regens health as he's constantly losing it, ramping up his damage without the interuption from Blessing), but most of the time the simpler frames get it all done fine and Oberon's skills aren't required. Though he seems underpowered, Oberon is actually really effective for high difficulty (I'll get to that shortly.) But his radiation procs and AoE blinds are redundant if the whole team is one-shotting everything. Armor boosting isn't needed for a team that never gets hit. Renewal ends once the team is back to full health, which usually happens within a couple seconds. Oberon's kit lets you take the pressure off the team in many ways, but Tenno can usually build for an easy, pressure-free mission, and so they don't really need what Oberon offers.

That said, when the mission is intense, when it's clear the team is actually struggling, Oberon is King. He will save your life. I never understood or truly loved Oberon until I took him on a shieldless Nightmare mission. For any Tenno trying to find Oberon's specialty, I found it in Nightmare. Support, damage and CC wherever you are and as you need it. If Excal's down, you can lay down at least some hurt until he's back up. A healer who doesn't go down in two hits, he allows for more freedom in the comp by effectively protecting non-tank units (so Tenno can run something other than Rhino and Nezha, no offense to them). Radiation everywhere like Nyx, but he can stand in the fight (unlike Nyx). Constant healing because the squad is under constant damage to their health.

While he may not be optimal at any one thing, Oberon's ability to do all the things will turn the fight around when it isn't in the Tenno's favor. If they ever do change Oberon, he still needs to be able to do this.

Edited by SenorClipClop

Honestly as someone who mains Oberon, the only issues Oberon has really is lackluster augments, and a counter productive passive. Not being a god at something doesn't make him a bad pick or means that he needs a buff to something. The thing a lot of people need to come to grips with is that while yes trinity is a better healer, Oberon offers a lot more safety due to his ability to be tanky and put out damage when he needs to. Basically Oberon's greatest strength is what many see as his greatest weakness, in that while he is very flexible he's out shined by other more specialized frames.

Oberon's main problem is that he's outdated. He was amazing back in the day. He doesn't need a massive rework. He just needs a few buffs and some QoL changes. Yeah he's not the best damage dealer. Yeah he's not the best buffer. Yeah he's not the best healer. But he's not supposed to be. He's an all rounder. A jack of all trades. Pretty much the only one in the game. And that's not a bad thing. It's just that with the introduction of raids. T4 void and sorties. He can't keep up. I'm not saying he needs a massive change, just small things to make him relevant again. So here are my ideas...

I'm not sure if it does so forgive me for my incompetence, I believe Smite should scale with mods. Primary, secondary, I don't care which. That's all it really needs.

hallowed ground is an interesting ability. Not a great damage dealer. Not a great buff. IMO in ok with that. However it does still need to be worth laying down sooo... Have damage scale with enemy health. A little something extra... If an eximus is caught in the field, they are kept in place for the duration of the HG and their aura is nullified. The armor increase should be a percentage, not a flat increase. This way tank frames can heavily benefit from having an Oberon around.

Renewel is really the only one I don't think needs a change. Is the best healing ability? Of course not, but he's not supposed to be on par with Trin. If modded right it makes for a great healin ability. The travel one is annoying, but again, he's not an insticast healer. That's not his role.

Reckoning is fun if modded right. Flying into a group of enemies and dunking them and having them tear into each other is so satisfying... But we have Nyx for that... But that doesn't mean Broberon can't capitalize on this as well... So a few changes. I'm hesitant to say it needs more damage because the confusion factor of Reckoning is solid. Soo... Here are my thoughts. Disagree with me as you please. Enemies are no longer irradiated. Instead they are covered in Oberon's energy color. This will have the same effect as confusion, except when an enemy dies with this aura, they have a chance to drop a health orb. Additionally when an enemy is dunked, a radial wave is realeased. This wave knocks down enemies within range, deals a small amount, but will not confuse enemies. This will add more CC to reckoning, so when you start to cast a dunk, new enemies show up and will get knocked down from the force of the dunk. The dunked enemies will proceed to murder their allies.

I know I'm not the only one that is saddened by Oberon's passive. Does it fit his theme? Yes, but it's extremely situational. It works when it works, but if you're on a non Grineer tileset you can't make use of his passive. Every other frame czn make use of heir passive despite what location they are in. So this was a very bad idea. That being said I don't think it should be completely changed. Just added to. I believe Kubrow and Kavat should have a buff when paired with Oberon. Not sure what, but something. Also it should be an aura effecting allies companions, but to a lesser degree.

Edited by (XB1)DRG JupiterIvan

I wish DE just created a nature themed frame. Oberron sort of is, but his powers really don't make me think nature.

Trinity is more the paladin frame right now, extremely tanky, buffs her allies defenses, and heals them.

Edited by Oishii