Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does Status Chance work with Shotguns?

LODESAMONEY

Question

Is the Status proc chance applied for every pellet? For example, if my Status chance is 50% with a Shotgun, and it fires 8 pellets, does that mean 50% chance for a proc with EACH pellet from a single shot, or a virtually guaranteed proc? 

I'm building my CP's Sweeper Prime with a status build specifically focused on Blast/Corro for constant knockdowns and armor debuffs, to help give myself some close-range defense when stuff gets in my face.

My Sweeper Prime looks like this right now: http://warframe-builder.com/Sentinel_Weapons/Builder/Sweeper_Prime/t_30_22004200_167-5-3-170-6-5-178-1-5-180-0-5-185-4-5-191-7-3-330-2-3-357-3-3_180-5-178-8-330-7-357-7-185-5-167-5-170-11-191-7/en/12-0-8

Will eventually replace Charged Shell with Shell Shock and Point Blank with the Primed version whenever Baros sells it. 

23 answers to this question

Status chance displayed in-game and on WF builder is the total chance that you will land ONE proc with ONE pull of the trigger. You can see how it works by adding/removing a multishot mod and watching your status chance change.

Wiki:http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Status_Effect#Multishot

Multishot

When firing multiple pellets in a single attack, the status chance on a listed weapon in the Arsenal may not be accurate. The status chance shown on shotguns is actually the calculated probability that at least one of the pellets will proc. For example, the Strun Wraith displays a 40% status chance, but in fact has a ~5% chance for each of its ten pellets. This displayed chance does, however, becomes inaccurate for shotguns equipped with status chance mods.

Notably, for weapons with innate multishot, a 100% proc chance will result in all pellets having a 100% proc chance. However, each pellet is still considered to be part of the same "shot" in such a way that multiple procs will not stack from innate multishot pellets—if two pellets from the same innate multishot weapon with 100% proc chance hit the same enemy, they will only cause the proc effects that a single pellet would have caused. If one inflicts a Puncture b Puncture proc, they will all inflict Puncture b Puncture procs. This is untrue of multishot added by mods. 

Edited by VKhaun

All stats on a shotgun are the total of all the pelets effects of whatever shotgun you're looking at added together, for status chance (or any other stat) it would need to be divided by the pellet count (Going to use the Hek here since I know its pellet count) EX:

Hek has 25% status chance and shoots 7 pellets so each pellet has a 25/7 or ~3.6% chance to proc a status

for your example a shotgun with 8 pellets at 50% status would have a 6.25% chance to proc per pellet

Edited by -Amaterasu-
Clarity

So basically take the Status Chance displayed and divide it by the number of pellets fired? So if I have 78% chance and 13 pellets, it's basically 6% chance for status per pellet?

I really hope Baros sells Shell Shock soon then. Not paying no 75p for it from another player.

Every single pellet has a very low status chance. When using mods to increase status chance, you increase the chance for every single pellet.

What you see in the arsenal is the chance, that at least 1 pellet procs the effect.

6 minutes ago, LODESAMONEY said:

So basically take the Status Chance displayed and divide it by the number of pellets fired? So if I have 78% chance and 13 pellets, it's basically 6% chance for status per pellet?

I really hope Baros sells Shell Shock soon then. Not paying no 75p for it from another player.

You can farm Shell Shock from hive sabotage missions, it's not worth 75p

Status per pellet for innate multishot weapons (meaning both shotguns and pistol-shotguns) can be calculated using the following formula: 1 - ((1 - StatusChance) ^ (1 / BasePellets))

StatusChance will be from 0 to 1 where 0 and 0% (duh), 0.5 is 50%, and 1 is 100%, but without multishot mods installed.*

BasePellets is the number of pellets the weapon fires without multishot mods installed.**

This formula will return a number from 0 to 1, representing the percentage chance each pellet has of proccing status.

If it's the status effects you're interested in, here's a suggested build. My brother uses, loves, and swears by it.

http://warframe-builder.com/Sentinel_Weapons/Builder/Sweeper_Prime/t_30_22000000_165-0-3-178-1-5-186-4-5-191-7-3-264-6-3-330-2-3-357-3-3-406-5-5_165-5-178-8-330-7-357-7-186-9-406-9-264-7-191-7/en/12-0-8/

*Multishot mods changes the arsenal value of status chance to reflect the chance of at least one proc, but we don't want that, as it will mess up the calculation and give you an incorrect result.

**Exclude multishot mods on one part of the equation, exclude on all.

Edit:

Status chance per pellet is not altered by multishot mods, which is why there's an increase in the chance for at least one pellet proccing when you install Hell's Chamber. More pellets = more rolls against the same probability = average increase in successful rolls. Because math.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

in addition to the clarification given already, this 5 minute chart i made a while ago for Shotgun Status, is pretty accurate.
it's not scientific in the least, but it gives a good idea of what to expect.

8j8FU3o.png

16 minutes ago, LODESAMONEY said:

So basically take the Status Chance displayed and divide it by the number of pellets fired?

exactly that, yes!

Edited by taiiat

That build looks awful, Delta. Three mods wasted because Sweeper Prime is not affected at all by firing rate mods. Carrier Prime will still use it at the same speed, with or without firing rate mods. There's no difference. That's why I scrapped Shotgun Spazz in the first place. 

Does Shell Shock really drop from Hive Sabotage missions though? What planets can I find those on, soloable ones?

13 minutes ago, LODESAMONEY said:

That build looks awful, Delta. Three mods wasted because Sweeper Prime is not affected at all by firing rate mods.

This is completely incorrect. I just tested in the simulacrum to confirm. Fire rate is affected as expected by these mods. This build (which is my build, btw) puts out status faster than any other build I've tested, making it the best status build I know of for this weapon.

34 minutes ago, LODESAMONEY said:

So basically take the Status Chance displayed and divide it by the number of pellets fired?

No! Use the formula provided by DeltaPhantom: 1 - ((1 - StatusChance) ^ (1 / BasePellets))   where StatusChance is the listed arsenal status chance without any multishot and BasePellets is the number of pellets fired without any multishot.

28 minutes ago, LODESAMONEY said:

So at 78% on Sweeper Prime, every shot is virtually guaranteed a Blast/Corro proc?

For each shot it is highly likely that it will proc at least one status effect, which may be blast, corrosive, impact, puncture, or slash. Physical damage types are weighted more than elemental types, so it may take more than one shot to proc an elemental. This is why I use fire rate.

*Edit: btw Taiiat, thanks for that chart, it's totally spot on. That's exactly what happens. It's why 99.7% status on the Strun Wraith sucks, but put 100% status there and it's frankly amazing.

Edited by Lord_Azrael

14 minutes ago, LODESAMONEY said:

That build looks awful, Delta. Three mods wasted because Sweeper Prime is not affected at all by firing rate mods. Carrier Prime will still use it at the same speed, with or without firing rate mods. There's no difference. That's why I scrapped Shotgun Spazz in the first place. 

Does Shell Shock really drop from Hive Sabotage missions though? What planets can I find those on, soloable ones?

Carrier quite definitely uses fire rate mods. I even tested it before making this post to double check.

You're friggin' welcome.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

7 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

Because region is a cesspool and is best left turned off in most cases.

My apologies then Delta, you were right and I was wrong. 

I will give that build a try then. The damage isn't so important to me, should still be enough to kill trash. I just need it to be able to neutralize bigger, more dangerous stuff that gets close to me.

Just now, LODESAMONEY said:

My apologies then Delta, you were right and I was wrong. 

I will give that build a try then. The damage isn't so important to me, should still be enough to kill trash. I just need it to be able to neutralize bigger, more dangerous stuff that gets close to me.

It is very useful, especially if you mod it for radiation + viral rather than corrosive + blast. Especially since rad procs turn off enemy healer auras and viral procs effectively double your damage. Give it a try! It may be hard to notice fire rate differences with just one mod on, but with all three it is extremely obvious.

It's easy to get wrong information, especially from region chat. That's why the simulacrum's so great! I swear, I go there practically every other day...

So Rad/Viral is better than Corro/Blast for a status build? I'm more concerned with using this build to give me breathing room when stuff gets in my face, rather than ramping up my overall DPS against really hardy targets. At 1.3k DPS, I kinda doubt this thing is going to do enough damage on its own to even kill trash.

10 hours ago, LODESAMONEY said:

It's slightly more complicated than that. It shouldn't be possible for ANY weapon to achieve 100% status chance as an average (only a number infinitely approaching 100%), unless a single pellet has 100% status chance. But a bell-curve somewhere in the formula isn't being accounted for. I assume this is deliberate. And as the first responder said, weapons with innate multishot are bugged, and it's possible to give every single pellet 100% status chance by reaching a 100% average. Strun Wraith is one of my favorite weapons for that reason, but even Sancti Tigris can achieve 100% status with Nano-Applicator. Do you like bleed procs? Have all the bleed procs.

Btw, electric dual status mods are sometimes awarded for hive sabotage, if you find all three caches. If you decide to farm them, good luck. Memorizing the ever-increasing void spawn locations was fun, but learning the spawn locations of a brand new tileset ground through my patience.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

2 hours ago, LODESAMONEY said:

So Rad/Viral is better than Corro/Blast for a status build? I'm more concerned with using this build to give me breathing room when stuff gets in my face, rather than ramping up my overall DPS against really hardy targets. At 1.3k DPS, I kinda doubt this thing is going to do enough damage on its own to even kill trash.

It's not objectively better. Each combo has it's own 'thing'.

Corrosive/Blast is good for CC and armor reduction.

Radiation/Viral is good for damage boosting, mild CC, and disabling healer auras (provided they shoot the healer in question).

Gas/Magnetic doesn't have as much use. The Gas proc is dependent on damage, and thus not all that powerful, but the Magnetic proc is good against shields, especially augmented shield sorties.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

3 hours ago, LODESAMONEY said:

I'm almost wondering if it would be better to go for damage on Sweeper Prime instead of Status. Replace Frail Momentum with Point Blank, and the 60% Ele/Status mods with regular 90% Ele mods. 

Sure, at low levels. At lower levels, sweeper prime will wreck some serious face. Even at medium levels, sweeper prime is decent. But there will come a point where it doesn't do very much, and at that point a status build will continue to be very helpful. It's a question of what you need it for. Status scales better than anything else in the game besides CC, so if you're bringing it to sorties you'll  want a status build. You should know, though, that a pure status build will still kill things on draco, so you aren't gaining a lot by going for pure damage.

16 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Sure, at low levels. At lower levels, sweeper prime will wreck some serious face. Even at medium levels, sweeper prime is decent. But there will come a point where it doesn't do very much, and at that point a status build will continue to be very helpful. It's a question of what you need it for. Status scales better than anything else in the game besides CC, so if you're bringing it to sorties you'll  want a status build. You should know, though, that a pure status build will still kill things on draco, so you aren't gaining a lot by going for pure damage.

Even Blast/Corro will kill stuff on Draco? Cause that's what I run. Rad/Viral or Rad/Toxin on my weapons usually and Blast/Corro on my Sweeper.

Edited by LODESAMONEY