Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk Prime Accessory Packs

DaelanAVIDITY

I recently came across Warframe's Citadella syandana and was so stoked about how cool it actually looked. Unfortunately I found out that it would cost me $50 to buy the prime access bundle containing it(you would be buying the citadella syandana alongside resource boosters, and a sugatra.) I wish that the website would offer a way to buy the syandana at a cheaper price without including the resource boosters. In the video below I detail my thoughts about the prime accessory packs and take into account the reasons why I think this would be beneficial for the company and the consumer. I am posting this because it is something I really want to happen, and also something I want to be discussed in the Warframe community. I would like to know your guys thoughts if you agree or disagree with my opinion on the prime accessory packs alongside the cost of them.

Edited by DaelanAVIDITY

The one issue that comes to my mind in this video: The whole theory with on the possible profit based on people who would buy. 

Sadly devs do not have the resources to properly gauge how many more people would actually buy the packs. They cannot simply ask the community, because truth be told, not enough of the whole actually states their opinions on such matters. (i.e. even the forums are only a part of the whole)

Without such data to back it up they can't really take the risk from a business standpoint.

Tl;DR Due to market uncertainties and lack of a way to gauge the entire communities response, it likely won't happen due to the risk.

So, we all know that Prime Access is a cash grab. The Prime Accessories are a $50 Syandana with the Boosters thrown is as some shallow justification for the price tag. I'm honestly okay with this, as Warframe has made few obvious cash grabs, and they need this to keep their game running, and we should be thankful that it just remains as cosmetic items.

Whether people want them to be available separately for a small amount of money isn't something that needs to be asked; of course we want that. Of course DE knows we want that. But, Prime Accessories is a moneymaker for them, simple as that.

Your video proposes that more people would buy the pack if it were cheaper and DE would make more money overall, but let's face it - you listed a bunch of numbers that you pulled from your rear end. They probably have people that work in business - that are a lot more knowledgeable than you or I in this area - and actually have the numbers to base their decisions on that make the call here.

I have bought one Prime Access, the top level Nova Prime pack.  It was just after Christmas, I'd got home after spending a week out of town with family and I ha dmore money left in my account than I expected so treated myself.  I didn't think I'd want the boosters but I didn't mind spending the extra because, as I said, I didn't expect to have this money anyway. 

What I found was that I not only managed to get a stupid number of weapon and warframe builds that needed Forma finished, which was kinda fun, but also collected a frankly ridiculous number of credits in those 90 days without even trying.  Now people are freaking out over an apparent credit shortage since the last update and I'm looking at over 33 million spare... 

Of course, now I know I don't need a 90 day credit booster again!

Edited by Katinka

I'm fairly certain in the time it took you to make the video, upload it, and make this topic you could have made the money at most jobs.

If money is an issue just cut back on some things or do what I did with Targis Prime: shrug and move on. It's a video game, if you can't afford like I can't it's because there's more important things going on in our lives.

1 hour ago, Sapphic-Sandra said:

I'm fairly certain in the time it took you to make the video, upload it, and make this topic you could have made the money at most jobs.

This isn't a valid argument on some many levels. It doesn't matter if the person works or not. Money is money. He saying hypothetically, DE would benefit more if they reduce or give the option to buy what item. This isn't my opinion and I don't know much about business so I can't say much. Anyway, it's up to Digital Extremes financial departments choice.

Anyway, Daelen you kind of pulled out random numbers. The game is free to play and cosmetics (+Plus prime frames/weapons) what keeps the game going. Again, the Digital Extremes' Financial Department should be the ones calling the shot on this. They most likely have the numbers and fact to support the decision their decisions.

But yeah, it would be nice to have the option to buy credit/XP boosters separately from prime cosmetics.

Edited by Ibro156

Pls not this thread again, let me just say this...

WARFRAME IS A FREE GAME, THESE COSMETICS DO NOT AFFECT GAMEPLAY.

THE PEOPLE WHO PAY FOR THESE PACKS (LIKE ME) ALLOWS DE TO CONTINUE MAKING CONTENT FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO DONT PAY A SINGLE CENT

1 hour ago, Ibro156 said:

This isn't a valid argument on some many levels. It doesn't matter if the person works or not. Money is money. He saying hypothetically, DE would benefit more if they reduce or give the option to buy what item. This isn't my opinion and I don't know much about business so I can't say much. Anyway, it's up to Digital Extremes financial departments choice.

Yeah when you cut off half my post in your quote it sounds heartless but reality is it's a luxury good. As I said in my second half of my post if you can't afford the luxury of these items oh well. I couldn't afford the Mag Prime Vault and I'm not broken to pieces. There's more to life.

My heart truly goes out to people not being able to afford necessities in this world. I don't feel sympathy for people complaining about the price of some cape in a video game. Especially in the context of it being a tax to keep this game free in every other way.

14 minutes ago, Sapphic-Sandra said:

Yeah when you cut off half my post in your quote it sounds heartless but reality is it's a luxury good. As I said in my second half of my post if you can't afford the luxury of these items oh well. I couldn't afford the Mag Prime Vault and I'm not broken to pieces. There's more to life.

My heart truly goes out to people not being able to afford necessities in this world. I don't feel sympathy for people complaining about the price of some cape in a video game. Especially in the context of it being a tax to keep this game free in every other way.

Fair enough

I honestly think that the difference between the amount of people who would pay $25 for a cosmetic item and then those who would pay $50 is minor. It's on the level where the majority just calls it crazy if it is for anything other than supporting the game. Even if it is a cool syndana.

I also think DE's business side is fully capable of setting a price tag based on their priorities. Maybe unlike the OP who is likely just motivated by self interests supported by an argument of made up numbers on how DE could possible be hurting themselves. If you want their positive attention then at least don't insult their intelligence.

Edited by Golmihr

9 minutes ago, Golmihr said:

I also think DE's business side is fully capable of setting a price tag based on their priorities. Maybe unlike the OP who is likely just motivated by self interests supported by an argument of made up numbers on how DE could possible be hurting themselves. If you want their positive attention then at least don't insult their intelligence.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Also judging by certain wording, it seems OP thinks this has never been discussed/brought up before. Every one of these types of discussions has ended with a lock and a period of silence until the next Prime Access/Vault. It's a bland cycle that I'm not sure anyone really enjoys witnessing and/or participating in.

All the replies above pretty much state exactly how I feel about this, so there isn't any point in synonymous redundancy. 

4 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

So, we all know that Prime Access is a cash grab. The Prime Accessories are a $50 Syandana with the Boosters thrown is as some shallow justification for the price tag. I'm honestly okay with this, as Warframe has made few obvious cash grabs, and they need this to keep their game running, and we should be thankful that it just remains as cosmetic items.

Whether people want them to be available separately for a small amount of money isn't something that needs to be asked; of course we want that. Of course DE knows we want that. But, Prime Accessories is a moneymaker for them, simple as that.

Your video proposes that more people would buy the pack if it were cheaper and DE would make more money overall, but let's face it - you listed a bunch of numbers that you pulled from your rear end. They probably have people that work in business - that are a lot more knowledgeable than you or I in this area - and actually have the numbers to base their decisions on that make the call here.

The only thing, I don't really agree upon in this statement is the whole "you listed a bunch of numbers you pulled from your rear end." Granted, the numbers I brought up didn't take into account taxes and what not. But the calculation of if 25 people bought the $50 pack you would get $1,250, and if 75 people bought the $30 pack you would get $2,250 were numbers taken straight from a calculator and is pretty much the raw number of the amount of money you would earn.

Other than that, I do agree with you that consumers should appreciate the item being purely cosmetic, and that there probably are more people knowledgeable in this area than I am. And honestly, I think I'll leave it at that. Every consumer has their own perspective on the pricing on items, and mine happens to side on dropping the prices a tad bit. I respect your side on this discussion and you do make a valid point.

Thank you for the post :)

Just now, DaelanAVIDITY said:

The only thing, I don't really agree upon in this statement is the whole "you listed a bunch of numbers you pulled from your rear end." Granted, the numbers I brought up didn't take into account taxes and what not. But the calculation of if 25 people bought the $50 pack you would get $1,250, and if 75 people bought the $30 pack you would get $2,250 were numbers taken straight from a calculator and is pretty much the raw number of the amount of money you would earn.

Other than that, I do agree with you that consumers should appreciate the item being purely cosmetic, and that there probably are more people knowledgeable in this area than I am. And honestly, I think I'll leave it at that. Every consumer has their own perspective on the pricing on items, and mine happens to side on dropping the prices a tad bit. I respect your side on this discussion and you do make a valid point.

Thank you for the post :)

Well, in that example, the 25 and 75 were the numbers I was referring to.

Suppose instead if 25 people bought the $50 pack and 35 people bought the $30 pack -- then the $50 pack would be the wiser course to pursue. We don't really know the exact effect the change in price would have on the number of packages purchased, so it's not really plausible to use that to make a point.

That's all I meant.

prime acess is way to expensive.....and i would never buy it no mater what cosmetics u get....with all this    very offten drastical changes game is not stable to invaste in!    for 150$ u can buy 3 ak 47 in... iraq..... 

Edited by ashrah

3 hours ago, Ibro156 said:

Again, the Digital Extremes' Financial Department should be the ones calling the shot on this. They most likely have the numbers and fact to support the decision their decisions.

But yeah, it would be nice to have the option to buy credit/XP boosters separately from prime cosmetics.

I agree with you. DE probably has the numbers and facts to support their decisions on prices. I can't really rebuttal that because I personally don't have any business experience whatsover. But the last thing I want is for no one to say anything about the prices you know? Yes, Warframe is a free to play game, and they need their revenue. But suppose they were to sell a prime accessory pack for $1000, (Yes I know it's an exaggerated amount) But let's say they do sell it for that amount, and people respond to consumers backlash  with the whole "DE needs their money. The financial department knows what they're doing." Then DE can hide behind that wall and continue to raise their prices so long as they know people will buy.

And yeah, it would definitely be nice to buy credit/XP boosters separately from prime cosmetics. I respect your side of this discussion and thank you for the post :)

4 hours ago, DaelanAVIDITY said:

I recently came across Warframe's Citadella syandana and was so stoked about how cool it actually looked. Unfortunately I found out that it would cost me $50 to buy the prime access bundle containing it(you would be buying the citadella syandana alongside resource boosters, and a sugatra.) I wish that the website would offer a way to buy the syandana at a cheaper price without including the resource boosters. In the video below I detail my thoughts about the prime accessory packs and take into account the reasons why I think this would be beneficial for the company and the consumer. I am posting this because it is something I really want to happen, and also something I want to be discussed in the Warframe community. I would like to know your guys thoughts if you agree or disagree with my opinion on the prime accessory packs alongside the cost of them.

all u said is 101% true no reson  for prime acess to cost that much

2 hours ago, N7_Lotus said:

Pls not this thread again, let me just say this...

WARFRAME IS A FREE GAME, THESE COSMETICS DO NOT AFFECT GAMEPLAY.

THE PEOPLE WHO PAY FOR THESE PACKS (LIKE ME) ALLOWS DE TO CONTINUE MAKING CONTENT FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO DONT PAY A SINGLE CENT

Hey N7_Lotus I think I played a game with you once :) .

I know that Warframe is a free game, and that cosmetics do not affect gameplay. (And yes I have used actually money on this game, I have in fact bought $1000 worth of platinum without the use of any discounts.) Yes, I know that DE needs to make these packs to continue making content for the game that's why I am saying they should "lower" the prices and not make them free. All that I am trying to say is that I personally feel like if they lower the prices, they will have an increase in revenue, this taken from a bunch of posts on the forums saying "I wish the prime packs were cheaper, then maybe I would buy it." In addition to that, I had an epiphany where what if DE makes a pack $1000. I don't want people to say something like "They make these packs to continue making content for you people." rather than thinking "hey wait, isn't this price a bit too absurd?"

Warframe is a fantastic game, I love playing it. They deserve all the revenue they receive for such an amazing game. But this post is me expressing my opinion on why they should lower the cost to receive more revenue. 

Thank you for the feedback.

19 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Well, in that example, the 25 and 75 were the numbers I was referring to.

Suppose instead if 25 people bought the $50 pack and 35 people bought the $30 pack -- then the $50 pack would be the wiser course to pursue. We don't really know the exact effect the change in price would have on the number of packages purchased, so it's not really plausible to use that to make a point.

That's all I meant.

Fair enough,

2 hours ago, Sapphic-Sandra said:

I don't feel sympathy for people complaining about the price of some cape in a video game. Especially in the context of it being a tax to keep this game free in every other way.

It does seem pretty pathetic of me to complain about a tax for to keep Warframe free. But I do not feel like DE should get a pass for something that I feel should be more reasonably priced, especially if it very well may be for the benefit of the consumer and the company.. The last thing anyone would want is for DE to start charging ridiculous prices and using the "Warframe needs its revenue" as the reason behind it. There at least has to be people to say something about it right?

2 hours ago, Golmihr said:

I 100% agree with you that DE very well has the capability of setting their own price tags. And as for me being motivated by self interests? I am because I really want the citadella syandana. But I am still taking into consideration DE's interest which is revenue. Otherwise I would not have said that the $20-$30 seems like a price they could gain a lot more revenue off of. The numbers are made up, but they seem reasonable enough from a hypothetical point of view right? And lastly, I made this discussion and video as respectfully as I possibly could. It was a suggestion I was bringing up. In no way was I bashing DE by saying they have no idea what they're doing. As a consumer this is what I felt, and even if I may come off to them as insulting, I assure to you that I am not. 

Thank you for the feedback. 

The problem is the result is impossible to predict. If they release 2 packs, one with boosters as usual and another with just the cosmetics for half the price who knows what will happen.

Possibly the same customers will buy the regular pack as usual and they will get extra sales from new customers who only ever wanted cosmetics and will now buy that pack. But there is also the possibility that everyone just buys the new cosmetic pack and profits are halved. Or that twice as many people buy the lesser pack and it evens out. Or, or etc etc. there are too many unpredictable variables involved. Sure you have to speculate to accumulate but you would need deep pockets to take that sort of gamble with your main revenue stream.