Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Collecting reactant is a CHORE

lolmetimbers

Collecting reactant is one of the most unenjoyable things ever. This is in no way fun or rewarding, especially since it concerns getting prime gear.

Please scrap the current system completely where players are forced to run around like headless chickens trying to find things on the floor. Even if you increased drop rates it wouldn't matter. Just change it to something simpler such as all maps will reward reactant but harder the map type/mission/how well you performed = more reactant to open a relic.

What I mean here. Every fissure is repeating this quest

1) Collect X of Thing

But this is where the truly largest sin of MMO quest design takes place. Often times you find these “Collect X of Thing” quests bundled up with the Kill quests, but they’re the same either way. Sometimes you just have to go collect something at a crafting or collection node. Other times it involves having to travel deep into a special dungeon to retrieve some items. But most of the time, you’re stuck killing monsters, just like a Kill quest, except with a mere percentage chance of an item dropping.

List-Sep29-5_t.jpg

Do you see the problem here? At least with a Kill quest you’re guaranteed that every time you kill one, that does in fact count towards your quest completion. With Collection quests on the other hand, that may not always be the case. Let’s say you’re tasked with collecting 10 wolf pelts from the forest. Theoretically that should mean kill 10 wolves and grab their pelts – but it doesn’t. What it actually means is, go kill wolves until your random drop chance is kind enough to give you 10 pelts. It’s a cheap and dirty trick to artificially inflate the length of time spent playing and it sucks.

Edited by lolmetimbers
clarification

It is interesting how they've increased the difficulty in snagging reactants, but I wouldn't considering game-breaking to the point that DE would need to scrap the current system completely. The current prime obtaining system (reactants & relics) is far more consistent than endlessly running high-tier void key missions & relying on RNG to obtain particular parts. The grind will continue to increase, but the changes to the prime part obtaining & consistent mod ranking (endo) have really made the game a little more clear on it's methods of properly attempting said grind for newer players. This is all simply opinion, & I can agree that collecting reactant atm can a challenging task, though they are marked fairly well on the maps.

Edited by Mdkirk95

I'd rather spend 10-30 more seconds in varied mission types for the same relic rather than 20 minutes of the same survival in the same tileset for that same rare reward over and over again.

But it's just me.

Edited by TheScytale

Despite the fact its a lot easier than forcing you to wait 20 minutes for a chance for a prime piece to drop in a survival mission?

Walking over an item that has a 2 meter tall beam coming off of it isn't challenging at all. Its not even that daunting of a task. The missions that took 10 - 20 minutes to complete for 1 chance now are down to only a handful of minutes to collect the reactant while doing the mission type at the same time for 1 chance for 4 different possible loot outcomes. I fail to see how its challenging to.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

is reactant affected by Vacuum?  wouldn't know myself, i stopped using sentinels (save helios from time to time) in favor of the Kubrows and Kavats

As of current game build, no. they aren't affected by vacuum

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

is reactant affected by Vacuum?  wouldn't know myself, i stopped using sentinels (save helios from time to time) in favor of the Kubrows and Kavats

The new Vacuum, which will be a passive for all sentinels, will have a range of 5m instead of the current 10m.

Vacuum doesn't affect it and it is in no way challenging. Whether you are running spy, exterminate or whatever it's all the same. Wait for enemies to become corrupted and then nuke them, pray they drop reactant and then go pick it up. Once that is done repeat the same mission again and again. This kind of system is simply put mind-numbing and boring. it literally is collecting trash off the ground in a game which is supposed to be fast paced, based around the mission objective and fighting gameplay. 

there's no running around with no direction - Reactant will be around your Mission Objectives and between you and your next Objective location.
because that's exactly where Enemies will be.

if finding Reactant is painful and requires you to run to 'random corners of the map', i think there's other problems at hand here. and i doubt it's the games' fault.

16 minutes ago, Mdkirk95 said:

It is interesting how they've increased the difficulty in snagging reactants

you mean decreased?
because it's decreased. it's been made easier and more streamlined than what was originally pushed.

Edited by taiiat

4 minutes ago, taiiat said:

there's no running around with no direction - Reactant will be around your Mission Objectives and between you and your next Objective location.
because that's exactly where Enemies will be.

if finding Reactant is painful and requires you to run to 'random corners of the map', i think there's other problems at hand here.

you mean decreased?
because it's decreased. it's been made easier and more streamlined than what was originally pushed.

For me personally, my earlier Lith runs I had a little bit of a harder time snagging reactants, so in my case no. I did mean increased, but if they have streamlined the process of farming void fissure missions, my comment was only situational. I might have just have a few bad runs with my experiences having no correlation with the overall process of obtaining reactants.

Edited by Mdkirk95

It's not about where it drops or the difficult of finding it or picking it up, it's the actual task of running around picking stuff up that is painful. It's similar to the classic mmo go collect 10 things quest...except you have to do it EVERY mission. I fail to see how this is fun or will be fun for players grinding for primes months from now. 

19 minutes ago, RoninJed said:

Then your gonna love the vacuum update hehe.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

15 minutes ago, Cmdr-A said:

As of current game build, no. they aren't affected by vacuum

Vacuum has never had an effect on Reactant. DE did this specifically to prevent shoehorning people into Carrier for Fissure missions.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

well i knew that silly goose. i just didn't know if Reactant got sucked up by Vacuum

That wasn't RoninJed's point, the original post to which you replied. RoninJed meant that if OP has trouble collecting reactants, they'll have a bad time when Vacuum's range gets decreased, and won't like the tremendous effort needed then to pick up loot.

Also just a friendly tip, don't call someone a silly goose when it's you who can't get their point.

If anything I'd hope for them to keep the reactant markers visible when facing towards them. I hate having to stop, then turn in circles in order to get them to appear so as to get a bearing on them.

That or make them big like endo due to the fissure light show just drowning the enviroment in a pool of lens flare. 

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

11 minutes ago, TheScytale said:

That wasn't RoninJed's point, the original post to which you replied. RoninJed meant that if OP has trouble collecting reactants, they'll have a bad time when Vacuum's range gets decreased, and won't like the tremendous effort needed then to pick up loot.

Also just a friendly tip, don't call someone a silly goose when it's you who can't get their point.

Lol thank you...someone gets what I meant.:thumbup:

Get them their own minimap icon (so you can find actual loot in an extraction mission), increase the pickup radius (ayatan stars seem to have a much better one), and make it so that if you're holding your E key down (or whatever the binding might be), and you pass over one, it gets picked up, without a lengthy animation, instead of having to stand right on top of them, look down, and wait for the prompt to appear (while surrounded by eximus units and bombards).

I can understand wanting to have a keypress involved in picking them up (because you don't want them forcing you over to secondary/melee all the time, and you'd rather have the character shown carrying them, than just stick an icon somewhere on the screen), but does it really have to take so much effort?

30 minutes ago, TheScytale said:

well now im just gonna do it for the hell of it, Silly Goose

18 minutes ago, RoninJed said:

Lol thank you...someone gets what I meant.:thumbup:

now that i reread the post, i see that the sarcasm was strong in you haha