Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Letter of Support to [DE]Rebecca

Azrael

5 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

Which should be 100% obvious to every sane person. We are making drama over dumb post by some guy who apparently realised stupidity he wrote and tried to be funny but failed miserably

What drama? We are expressing support. The only drama comes from people who are trying to criticize that fact.

God damn it... I'd like to think my fellow man is generally a species of reason and rational thinking, but then things like this happen and remind me that isn't entirely true.

I give DE a lot of S#&$  from time to time in various critiques, but they're still my favorite developer and do deserve better than death threats.

I do not understand. That was not a legitimate death threat, that was a poorly-structured joke from an anonymous guy on a social media website. Is my sense of humor extremely dark compared to all of you, or are you all overreacting just like Becca did? 

On top of all that, it wasn't even aimed at Becca.

Edited by RevolutionaryJusticar

7 minutes ago, RevolutionaryJusticar said:

or are you all overreacting just like Becca did? 

Please show me where she "Overreacted"

And fyi - there is something called individuality. Just because this is "funny" to you, doesn't mean that it's funny to her.

13 minutes ago, WEREsandrock said:

Please show me where she "Overreacted"

And fyi - there is something called individuality. Just because this is "funny" to you, doesn't mean that it's funny to her.

The dude said "More like "The Mad Within" or "The Ama murder you all DE Within"

This is an obvious joke to me. She even says in one of her later tweets that she thinks it was probably a bad joke. Cool that you guys support her, but no need to make it out into such a big deal.

Wait, so basicly no matter what anyone does, someone is going to come tell them they're wrong for it.

The point of the thread, again, wasn't to "make a big deal out of it"...it was rather to express that that sort of behavior isn't something the fans, supporters and players of this game are willing to tolerate. While yes, in this particular instance it may not of been a serious threat, passive dismissals do tend to lead some people to think its ok to take it further. Why can't we as a community simply say we dont find such humor funny, don't appreciate such behaviors, and really have no tolerance for this type of interaction whether it was a joke or not without someone needing to come tell us why we're wrong for it?

NO one said we're hunting the person down with pitchforks. 

That's just the usual lame excuse people like these come up with after they realize that making such threats has consequences: "Oh, I didn't really mean it, I was just joking, why are you all so mad at me now bla bla bla yadda yadda yadda."

The excuse is just as pathetic as the guy.

Seriously, whoever issues death threats because he doesn't like something about a friggin' video game, Warframe or whichever, should chill out. In a padded cell. And a straightjacket. And of course he should be banned for life from the game.

17 hours ago, Azrael said:

What drama? We are expressing support. The only drama comes from people who are trying to criticize that fact.

I've seen plenty of people in this thread overreacting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way supporting behaviour of this idiot. But I think reactions to this are too extreme. "People like this are not what community is like", well yeah, it's obvious.

Now, if Rebecca's Twitter was flooded with dozens of rage tweets, with multiple open death threats it would be totally different story. Letter of support would definitely be in place. But here I feel it's unnecessary. Some random guy who should definitely go outside either tried to be funny or has anger management issue wrote dumb post. Move along, nothing to see here

Edited by Slaviar

I feel like this is a bit of an overreaction to a comment on Twitter. Its not like it was even a full blown death threat email. Granted the comment was in poor taste, but that's why you PM the guy and tell him this.

On a side note, I keep seeing comments about how this is a bit of dark humor even though there's nothing remotely funny about the comment.

I just love how people are trying to excuse his behavior. "it was just a joke." Yeah, that's what everyone says when they get called out on their BS. Idc if they were joking or not. That kind of behavior is not acceptable. The fact people think it is is amazing

6 hours ago, Slaviar said:

I've seen plenty of people in this thread overreacting.

As I said in an earlier comment, hindsight needs to be used, block functions need to be utilized, and the authorities don't need to be involved.

The other problem is that there are posts deleted from people overreacting in the opposite manner, making this thread seem far more positive than it is. I recall a specific accusation that this was a PR stunt, given all the negativity being thrown at DE after the Vacuum changes.

The sentiment is great, but it's just one of those threads that seems overly sympathetic, particularly from those dropping such corny phrases as, "nobody touches space mom."

6 hours ago, Eminem2420 said:

I just love how people are trying to excuse his behavior. "it was just a joke." Yeah, that's what everyone says when they get called out on their BS. Idc if they were joking or not. That kind of behavior is not acceptable. The fact people think it is is amazing

Exactly. It was a joke. Therefor a letter of support full of cringe inducing comments is not needed

A stupid joke in bad taste should be disregarded and forgotten like it should be. Need I remind you it was from one guy. "OMG Rebecca pls don't think we're all like him!1!" 

If this was a good amount of back to back, more serious comments (give or take 50) then such a post would be justified.

Rebecca is a grown woman. I understand this post was made out of respect. But if you think she needs white knights making a letter of support over one stupid tweet, then that shows how unrealistically fragile you think she is. I don't know what could be more disrespectful

1 hour ago, (PS4)official_79 said:

Exactly. It was a joke. Therefor a letter of support full of cringe inducing comments is not needed

A stupid joke in bad taste should be disregarded and forgotten like it should be. Need I remind you it was from one guy. "OMG Rebecca pls don't think we're all like him!1!" 

If this was a good amount of back to back, more serious comments (give or take 50) then such a post would be justified.

Rebecca is a grown woman. I understand this post was made out of respect. But if you think she needs white knights making a letter of support over one stupid tweet, then that shows how unrealistically fragile you think she is. I don't know what could be more disrespectful

Whether or not it was a "joke" is not the point, nor is the number of "joking threats".  Whether it was one tweet, or 1,000 tweets, it was out of line.  And, whether it was one jerk with a twisted sense of humor or 100 psychopaths, it was an inhuman act.  In today's day and age, is it a wonder that people take even "joking" death threats seriously?

Not only that, but we do realize that Rebecca is a grown woman who can stand up for herself.  The point of this is not to be "white knights", but to show solidarity and respect for her.  Be honest: if you received a death threat on social media, even once "jokingly" from a total stranger, wouldn't you be at least a little concerned about it?  Even dismissing it as a joke doesn't get rid of the concern fully.  And while you may think it is disrespectful that we are rallying after one tweet, imagine how disrespectful it is to act as if the recipient of the threat is overreacting.  And, don't you think it's possible that maybe, with all of the hate circling TWW and Vacuum, Rebecca and DE might see the community in a more negative light, with threats popping up now?  Responses like this are why death threats over video games still persist.  Communities attempt to shun these freaks, but there's always someone who says that the majority is "overreacting".  You don't solve a problem by pretending it isn't there, you make it worse.

1 minute ago, IcyLeviathan said:

Whether or not it was a "joke" is not the point, nor is the number of "joking threats".  Whether it was one tweet, or 1,000 tweets, it was out of line.  And, whether it was one jerk with a twisted sense of humor or 100 psychopaths, it was an inhuman act.  In today's day and age, is it a wonder that people take even "joking" death threats seriously?

Not only that, but we do realize that Rebecca is a grown woman who can stand up for herself.  The point of this is not to be "white knights", but to show solidarity and respect for her.  Be honest: if you received a death threat on social media, even once "jokingly" from a total stranger, wouldn't you be at least a little concerned about it?  Even dismissing it as a joke doesn't get rid of the concern fully.  And while you may think it is disrespectful that we are rallying after one tweet, imagine how disrespectful it is to act as if the recipient of the threat is overreacting.  And, don't you think it's possible that maybe, with all of the hate circling TWW and Vacuum, Rebecca and DE might see the community in a more negative light, with threats popping up now?  Responses like this are why death threats over video games still persist.  Communities attempt to shun these freaks, but there's always someone who says that the majority is "overreacting".  You don't solve a problem by pretending it isn't there, you make it worse.

Hold it. HOLD. IT

Did I say Rebecca was overreacting? Hell to the no. Seriously if you're going to emphasize a point in bold letters at least get it right. It is the community that is overreacting here, not her.

An inhuman act? It was a stupid joke for christ's sake. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill budd. Nowhere near an actual death threat, saying lmao kys has more credence than what he said.

Showing solidarity and respect, over a single tweet? A stupid one at that? Because you think she is concerned about her safety? Really sounds like white knighting to me

The closest thing to a death threat was "kys fgt" from one of my friends while playing Rainbow Six. Looking at it in context it was a joke, just like what happened to Rebecca and I forgot about it the next day. No need to use "jokingly" as if im misunderstanding the meaning of what was said. We learned about context clues back in elementary, idk about you.

Yeah I could imagine her seeing the community in a more negative light. But rather due to the multiple discussions criticizing the bad ideas they have put forward, not because of so called "threats"

Death threats in video games will always persist, 7 billion people out there, only takes one to make a death threat. What's important is to discern whats a legitimate threat and whats a poorly executed joke. 

If someone is being threatened daily, or back to back with full hearted death threats or insults, then a full community response would be justified.

But if someone got debatably "threatened" once and the full community (or atleast a good portion on the forums) was in uprising, cheesy comments in hand. Then it is an overreaction.

And you don't solve problems by pretending there actually is one, you make it worse.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)official_79 said:

Hold it. HOLD. IT

Did I say Rebecca was overreacting? Hell to the no. Seriously if you're going to emphasize a point in bold letters at least get it right. It is the community that is overreacting here, not her.

An inhuman act? It was a stupid joke for christ's sake. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill budd. Nowhere near an actual death threat, saying lmao kys has more credence than what he said.

Showing solidarity and respect, over a single tweet? A stupid one at that? Because you think she is concerned about her safety? Really sounds like white knighting to me

The closest thing to a death threat was "kys fgt" from one of my friends while playing Rainbow Six. Looking at it in context it was a joke, just like what happened to Rebecca and I forgot about it the next day. No need to use "jokingly" as if im misunderstanding the meaning of what was said. We learned about context clues back in elementary, idk about you.

Yeah I could imagine her seeing the community in a more negative light. But rather due to the multiple discussions criticizing the bad ideas they have put forward, not because of so called "threats"

Death threats in video games will always persist, 7 billion people out there, only takes one to make a death threat. What's important is to discern whats a legitimate threat and whats a poorly executed joke. 

If someone is being threatened daily, or back to back with full hearted death threats or insults, then a full community response would be justified.

But if someone got debatably "threatened" once and the full community (or atleast a good portion on the forums) was in uprising, cheesy comments in hand. Then it is an overreaction.

And you don't solve problems by pretending there actually is one, you make it worse.

First of all, I was mistaken about you saying that Rebecca overreacted. Someone else with the same profile image said it, and I just assumed it was the same person.

As far as my "inhuman act" comment, that is my opinion, as well as what seems to be the opinion of a good portion of this thread.  If you disagree, fine.  Just don't come on here to scold us for showing respect and solidarity towards Rebecca along with outrage towards the idiot who tweeted that "threat".

If you'll reread my post, you'll see that I said "from a total stranger".  Last time I checked, a "friend" doesn't constitute a "total stranger".  Then again, I learned about context clues in Pre-K.

Also, if you'll read my post, I said that the negative light comes from a combination of rage-filled threads and the recent "threat/threats".

Also, while that whole "7 billion people in the world, only one needed to make a threat" is true, that doesn't justify it.  Saying that it can't be changed just gives more people the license to do it, including the psychos who might actually try to follow through!

I do have to ask, though, what planet you live on to think that a single threat doesn't justify a response, and that the threats need to be more regular and more severe before people care!  "Oh, no!  People are rallying around someone who received a potentially 'joking' death threat!  They must be brainless and chauvinistic!  If only they knew that the right time to worry was after the person was being threatened regularly!  After all, one threat is meaningless.  But daily threats?  Now we can send the person our sympathies."  Illogic like that is what causes people to miss the signs of depression and suicidal tendencies in people.  "Eh, they're just having a bad day.  They'll get over it.  They posted that they're thinking of suicide after some friendly hazing?  Surely they're joking!  I'll just wait until tomorrow to talk to them."  End result? The person in need is ignored and bad things happen.

And really? "Cheesy comments"?  Granted, some comments are a little cheesy, referring to her as "Spacemom" or talking about sharpening/loading <insert Warframe weapon here> to hunt this guy down, but those are meant, IMO, to give Rebecca something to smile at after this craziness.  So excuse us if we want to support her.  If you disagree with us, then just leave this thread and stop trolling.  Everything was fine until people felt the need to force their contrasting opinion on the portion of the community that's supporting Rebecca this way.

You want to talk about making a problem worse by pretending there is one (I.E. starting a problem), look at this thread and the negative responses that have popped up.  What was meant to support DE and Rebecca has now become an argument between multiple people over whether the threat was legitimate, whether Rebecca or the community overreacted, and whether or not this thread has any real purpose.  I thought that I'd see loads of positivity when I clicked on this thread to see how far it had gone since yesterday, and instead I found negativity sprinkled throughout.  So, in an attempt to be civil, if anyone reads this thread and thinks that the community is stupid/overreacting or whatever and that this thread shouldn't exist, THEN IGNORE IT! No one is forcing you to read it, or even acknowledge it!

39 minutes ago, (PS4)official_79 said:

But if someone got debatably "threatened" once and the full community (or atleast a good portion on the forums) was in uprising, cheesy comments in hand. Then it is an overreaction/

*pokes head in window*

I don't think there's a "debatably" about it in this situation. It either is or isn't.

*proceeds to walk away*