The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

body diversity in lady frames

senatorspade

13 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

Majority of these women have fairly similar shapes to warframes.

pls give us pictures.

And I want heavy metal frame. And some guys want anime frames. Does it mean they should be introduced?

Those are themes, not design choices. We want a body shape, not an inspiration. You're mixing apples and oranges.

Also, ironically, if well implemented, both those themes can be ingame. So go nuts making concepts.

You keep arguing over bulky women. Then you suddenly say she can be slim if she has bulky armor.

I've never denied it. I'd prefer the former, but Im ok with the latter. Never once was that contradicted.

Again, no logical reason to introduce one.

Again, people wanting it is a good reason.

And, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to play it.

Celtic tank, on the other hand, is essentially barbarian warrior, therefore Conan. So no, not every theme good for a man is good for woman and vice versa

ugh. It's impossible for me to say this without looking like an SJW, so screw it:

It's 2016 and this is a video game. Saying that a female character cannot be based off of certain theme is enforcing gender roles, and limiting creative freedom.

So I'm just dropping the bomb.

You are being sexist.

Edited by tnccs215

Just now, Beggining said:

I mean lore-wise, the Orokin are a bunch of shallow supremacists, why would they think of something that's not the ideal stereotype of the body?

Ouch. That's actually a good point. They weren't exactly "inclusive."

1 minute ago, Azrael said:

Mostly I'm just impressed that it took us 8 pages for it to happen.  :)

Although I now fear for the future of the thread...

Im sorry it had to be me.

But here in Portugal, we have a saying: "Tratar os bois pelos nomes". To treat the ox by their names.

That is, if someone is something, no point pretending they aren't.

And I really am sorry, but if someone says that male characters should have X themes and female characters Y themes, than they aren't enforcing gender roles... And that forcefully makes them sexist.

9 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

pls give us pictures.

Compare those you've posted with warframes.

Those are themes, not design choices. We want a body shape, not an inspiration. You're mixing apples and oranges.

Also, ironically, if well implemented, both those themes can be ingame. So go nuts making concepts.

Point is, just because people want something doesn't mean it should be or will be introduced.

ugh. It's impossible for me to say this without looking like an SJW, so screw it:

Oh, this gonna be good...

It's 2016 and this is a video game.

Yup, you went full SJW with "It's current year".

11 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Saying that a female character cannot be based off of certain theme is enforcing gender roles, and limiting creative freedom.

Several themes are better filled by different genders.

13 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

So I'm just dropping the bomb.

You are being sexist.

e31.jpg

You have no idea how sick I am of almost naked women in almost every fantasy/SF game.

7 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

And I really am sorry, but if someone says that male characters should have X themes and female characters Y themes, than they aren't enforcing gender roles... And that forcefully makes them sexist.

What the actual F***?

I've never said that.

Like it or not, several themes sit better with one gender. There is nothing sexist about that.

Anyway, call me sexist if you wish. I have no desire to continue talking to you.

25 minutes ago, Azrael said:

There were female barbarian warriors in Conan.

Indeed, there are several barbarian warrioress themes. Though I don't think a single one of them involves overly muscular.

Personally, my favourite is Hellion from Darkest Dungeon.

Though I think I'll just abandon thread before someone invokes Godwin's Law on me :)

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

Why would I want to be a larger target?

To me, practicality comes before feelings.

So when you need to be really survivable, do you always play nova over rhino or chroma?

I'm pretty sure stats and abilities matter more than how large you appear to be.

12 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

Indeed, there are several barbarian warrioress themes. Though I don't think a single one of them involves overly muscular.

A simple google search turns up plenty of pictures of muscular female barbarian warriors. Granted, many of them are less clothed than would seem practical, but some are clothed pretty much as you'd expect.

10 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

Compare those you've posted with warframes.

I did. It corroborated my points.

Point is, just because people want something doesn't mean it should be or will be introduced.

Eh. Truth is, for the various reasons already presented, there is no reason why it shouldn't. So yeah. Perfectly fine for it to be introduced.

Yup, you went full SJW with "It's current year".

Sorry if I dont have the patience to explain why, in this year, we already are advanced enough not to expect people to obey to stereotypes.

You have no idea how sick I am of almost naked women in almost every fantasy/SF game.

ok, that's good.

What the actual F***?

I've never said that.

Like it or not, several themes sit better with one gender. There is nothing sexist about that.

I really have nothing to say about the above quote.

12 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

So, one is forced to not innovate?

Barbarian warrior is naturally connected to musculature and strength. It would make sense for a warrioress to be "overly muscular". Just because it's innedit, it doesn't mean it mustn't be done.

Fundamental part of art is to innovate, after all.

And neither do I have any wish to continue this. Bye.

For this would be nice an option to select body types for example each frame given a 3-5 type and you can choose from. Sadly I know there won't be any better character customization but it would be very likely.

Also Titania looks unrealisticaly slim. Yet this topic about the body types but a fun fact Titania's head is inspired by fly. Look at her face close enough and you can find this funny fact.

9 minutes ago, Beggining said:

Thank you, I try my best to make a reasonable argument :)

Honestly, it is is the only real reason I can think of why frames are the way they are. The Orokin picked the ideal appearance for the Prime versions of each theme according to their standards of beauty. The warframes were designed to be idolized and godlike to everyone else in the origin system despite their Tenno operators being declared monsters by the rest of the world. These first versions of each frame be it the Primes actually being that or the warframes we see, each design is done by Ballas and a group of people chosen by him. The same Ballas who in the Vauban Prime trailer said that lust was his sin and called Ordan Kerris an ugly beast. At the present, I personally believe Ballas would be so intent on making the frames appealing to the Orokin that he would reject any thing that went against that 'ideal beauty'. That beauty appears to be the perfect mix of organic and technological with elegant curves and flowing silhouettes.  

Now this being said, I'm not against the notion of having a heavily armored female frame in the vein of what Day form Equinox tries to do. Said frame though would probably be done in such a precise manner that you'd still see its femininity underneath the armor.

Lastly, each faction does have very specific traits associated with their designs. Now lets say a Grineer leader of some sort got its hands on a frame. Said frame would more likely be disfigured to the point of being ugly with asymmetry and bulbous parts added to it. Similar to how normal Valkyr has sleek Corpus components bolted on to her. The best chance for a female frame that isn't a normal figure might be one that has been experimented on by the Grineer since it might be very unlikely the Orokin would make one.

(looks around.Sees Overwatches overrated "Feminist symbol" is referenced. Reliving the flash backs)

You only want the body type for the sake of It. If you can not come up with a frame where a body type like that would be a viable idea,dont ask.

All, the massive male warframes are all basically tanking walls of meat with massive themes around big things. And I recall only 2 frames in the overall set who are big (Would count Chorma,but I dont even know anymore) And they be Atlas, the rock guy with no neck and Rhino.

Also,the fact that this has become a running gag since Overwatch came out is slowly boiling my blood. 

You have a idea for a character, fine post It. Make a shield bearing war maiden, a lioness who body slams enemies with wrestling moves. I do not care what you want to create or see in the game.

But, I'm getting a little tried of this.

P.s. Leave Valkyr out of this,she has been thou enough already.

P.s.s. Even If the body types do not seem to change that much most Female frames got more details in their armor. (Ergo Mesa's swag vest and the transparent cloth on Invira)

2 minutes ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

I have about 10 warframe ideas on the back burner,but I cant draw for crap so I dont post em.

Imma try drawing that wrestling lion maiden. xD

1 minute ago, cykardo said:

Umm... Something like this? 

http://m.imgur.com/Wt5AzQZ

Warning: Badly drawn on phone

I've read through the posts. Am guessing that's what they want, not another Zarya copy.

You only want the body type for the sake of It. If you can not come up with a frame where a body type like that would be a viable idea,dont ask.

All, the massive male warframes are all basically tanking walls of meat with massive themes around big things. And I recall only 2 frames in the overall set who are big (Would count Chorma,but I dont even know anymore) And they be Atlas, the rock guy with no neck and Rhino.

Eh, Rhino. In his Codex he's described to be the heaviest Warframe in the game.

1 minute ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

Also,the fact that this has become a running gag since Overwatch came out is slowly boiling my blood. 

I've never really notice that in Overwatch community. Closest I've seen is the Zarya Goth skin they don't like very much but that's pretty much it. Zarya considered great tank in Overwatch.

1 minute ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

I have about 10 warframe ideas on the back burner,but I cant draw for crap so I dont post em.

You don't need to be able to draw the art part of it. If you can make a solid and balanced frame, then good job. Being able to draw can be left to DE if they want to take it upon themselves.

Personally, I think it more due to the fact most people who are against just don't seem to like it very much. Like the fact some relate to it negative way because of what they went through or they don't find it attractive. 

There's quite a bit of diversity in both male and female frames. It's not "All male frames are bulky muscle men and all female frames are slim and curvy", there's a healthy balance.

Frames like Ash, Limbo, Nezha, Loki, and Volt are all rather slim, whereas Saryn, Ember, Valkyr, and Equinox's Day Form are pretty bulky. The proportions aren't entirely the same, but that makes perfect sense because males tend to have more muscle mass than females. 

Comparing bulk of female frames to Zarya is also pretty unfair, Zarya's got a ton of exaggerations in her model to look more cartoony, whereas Warframe has a more "realistic" look going for it, so a Zarya like frame wouldn't fit with style of the game.