Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ranking up Secondarys

(PSN)Trojianmaru

Question

I usually have no problem ranking up weapons and frames, but earlier I ran Erris, Akkad with maxed Inaros, unranked Mara Detron and maxed Galatine Prime and after 20 waves, I quit.....Only to find my Mara Detron was only rank 1! And that was purely from bonus xp form it being the first mission of the day.

Has leveling changed recently or something?! And if it has, how do people usually rank up stupidly weak secondary weapons?(I hear it has the potential to be amazing but it needs to be forma'd like 4 times)

Edited by (PS4)Trojianmaru

14 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, (PS4)Trojianmaru said:

I usually have no problem ranking up weapons and frames, but earlier I ran Erris, Akkad with maxed Inaros, unranked Mara Detron and maxed Galatine Prime and after 20 waves, I quit.....Only to find my Mara Detron was only rank 1! And that was purely from bonus xp form it being the first mission of the day.

Has leveling changed recently or something?! And if it has, how do people usually rank up stupidly weak secondary weapons?(I hear it has the potential to be amazing but it needs to be forma'd like 4 times)

I guess you only used your galatine and you were solo right? if you only use 1 weapon to kill stuff, all the PX will go to that weapon and the frame, the rest won't get any, it's always been like this

you need to either kill with that weapon (which isn't weak at all btw) or just do spy runs like everyone said, it gives equal XP to all the items you have. or you can join a group to do akkad or any other mission, the shared XP from their kills will go to your secondary as well 

23 minutes ago, (PS4)Trojianmaru said:

maxed Inaros, unranked Mara Detron and maxed Galatine Prime and after 20 waves, I quit.

Unless you were actually using the secondary to get kills its only getting passive affinity and without a team that is slow going being solo.  Guessing you killed everything with GP so it gobbled up all the affinity even though it didn't need it any longer (or went to focus if you had a lens on it).

Spy, as others mention, is a good way to rank things because it is a flat affinity bonus when you stealth a vault that goes directly to every equipped weapon (or something).  

Another way and a reason its so popular, is interceptions, you get bonus affinity every time you cap or recap all 4 points.  

Playing in a full squad allows you to get affinity from them as well.  Solo is never a great option for getting experience, except from spy missions or stealth kills, which mara detron is unlikely to be able to do at any decent level.  Depending on your MR, you can mod it enough to at least be fairly useful and the more you use it in a mission the more affinity it gains.

Did akkad earlier, 4 of us, most of us levelling something.  I had a level 4 mirage and about the same level sonicor, level 30 dual ichor and level 30 soma prime iirc..  Went up to level 17 in 20 rounds, killed pretty much everything by melee.

If you got heaps and piles of exp on your other weapons and only went from zero to one on your secondary, that sounds like a bug.

If we're talking about speed-leveling your secondary, mod for max damage with the free drain points given by your MR and play on Dark Sector missions appropriate to how effective the weapon is. Not just Akkad, try other Dark Sectors and make sure you can actually get the job done with your Secondary. Using the weapon is usually faster than getting more exp overall and not using the weapon (to a point), and Dark Sector missions give bonus exp to pistol kills.

Using Banshee also helps, you just have to be able to aim.

28 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Did akkad earlier, 4 of us, most of us levelling something.  I had a level 4 mirage and about the same level sonicor, level 30 dual ichor and level 30 soma prime iirc..  Went up to level 17 in 20 rounds, killed pretty much everything by melee.

Your leveling was only possible there because of shared affinity, which is likely why OP didn't get any xp on their secondary.

Any kills made by yourself have the affinity split evenly between the weapon that performed the kill and the Warframe. If the kill was made by your Warframe or a syndicate proc, all of the affinity is given your Warframe.

The only way to get affinity for weapons that you didn't use is to receive shared affinity either from kills made by squadmates or affinity pickups (including the affinity received for completing the bonus mission).

As for leveling up weapons, I run stealth Exterminate missions with Ivara. Even with a weak weapon, you can typically kill an enemy before it wakes up, preventing it from breaking your stealth combo. Worst case, stop firing and put it back to sleep before it fully wakes up.

Telesto on Saturn works for me (one run with an affinity booster, which takes about 8-10 minutes), but you can use Pallas on Ceres if the weapon you are leveling isn't strong enough to reliably kill enemies on Saturn before they wake up.

37 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Your leveling was only possible there because of shared affinity, which is likely why OP didn't get any xp on their secondary.

I read more along the lines that the OP was not able to level his secondary on Akkad, I was showing it was still working as intended.  Also the OP didn't mention number of people in event.  Having said that I've had more than one level improvement on a secondary doing the same solo. 

Thanks everyone, I didn't realise only the weapon you use gets weapon xp, I thought if you kill with a weapon, then you get "weapon xp" that gets split between all your weapons. I did the pluto spy mission and it seems to get the job done. Good thing I'd just bought a maxed primed Continuity last night

26 minutes ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

The Brakk is amazing.  The mara detron is much less so.  Its still a fun weapon and worth using but set your expectations a little lower so you aren't ultimately disappointed.

I'm going to be using it for a particular build I saw on youtube using Mag's Magnatize. That build works best with Mara Detron due to the rad damage and high fire rate. I have pleanty of secondary that are generally good