Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would you pay for a new range of items like primes items that can only bought and not farmed ?

(PSN)KainBethell

* Just to be clear these items would have the same stat values as there prime/unprimed counterparts, but would have different animations and design style, they would be items and not just skins, but wouldn’t necessarily have to give mastery points

So let’s call this new range “Alpha” items *

So currently we have Prime items (Frames, weapons and accessories) some of these items can be farmed and others the accessories can’t and have to be paid for.

Yes I know we have Tennogen items, but they are not a range like prime items are and it is all determined on the designer continuing to make the same style across all frames

Also the Alpha range wouldn’t have to publish from old to new like the current prime range does so we could design for some of the newer frames and weapons

As for Umbra, DE seems to have a plan for that and it seems that it may not be a range of frames

Lore wise it could be inserted that the “Alpha” items where a reskin for one of the sevens personal tastes  

This range would always be available and would not be limited time only

I personally think it could be a new revenue stream for DE as long as they don’t expect PA or PAA prices and they have no filler content

My idea would be to hire at least two new people to only do this content so there would be no impact on resources, and would hope that a steady stream of one frame plus a couple of items a month to be produced

So if another range “Alpha” items was introduced would you buy them ?

Please could you give your reasons and not just a yes or no answer

Many thank

1 minute ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

As for Umbra, DE seems to have a plan for that and it seems that it may not be a range of frames

Umbra will be a range of Frames, not only Excalibur Umbra.

As for the Topic, i would 100% buy an "Alpha" version of my fav. Frames, specially Excalibur. I missed the Founders Program so no Prime Excalibur for me, but an "Alpha" would certainly be something to drool over, depending on how they decide to make them look like. Umbra is already said to be the "Dark/Evil"-Warframe lineup, so "Alpha" could have design inspirations from somewhere else, maybe the opposite of Umbra, like a "holy" Version. White with Blue accents and some "halo/aura" around them or something.

only things that can only be bought and not farmed are primed accessories, you're technically farming for the cosmetics in the market since you can farm prime parts/mods and sell it to buy cosmetics, and if they give no advantage and doesnt give any mastery points, then it'd be a waste to make it into a new separate entity rather than just making it a skin

No. It would be pointless because it's just another variant with no real change other than to look special. This kind of thing only serves people that want to be special snowflakes. We don't need more variants and this would possibly be a waste of resources IMO.

No I wouldn't buy them.... while it wouldn't have any impact on gameplay it would be ANOTHER fashion item that can't be bought with the ingame currencies.  It's bad enough now with tennogen (which if it does need to stay cash only, I don't like this either, then I think it should be sold directly on DE site not on steam but that's another matter). 

Not to mention these would have ludicrous prices like prime packs and pre discount plat prices... both of which I will never pay for at those prices.

Edited by LSG501

8 minutes ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

My idea would be to hire at least two new people to only do this content so there would be no impact on resources,

You realize it takes a literal 'team' of art designers, animation artists, programmers sound designers and I don't even know what else to create just one new frame.  I know you kindly suggested 'at least' 2 people but it would likely require an entire secondary team of various stations to do nothing but produce content.

I think you are vastly underestimating how much time and effort goes into making weapons, animations, sound effects and most of all, frames.

I feel like your heart is in the right place, wanting to produce another source of revenue for DE but this isn't it.  If you want to support DE, buy a PA, heck buy two and gift one to a friend but let's leave the business models in DE's hands, they seem to be doing alright so far. 

27 minutes ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

So if another range “Alpha” items was introduced would you buy them ?

Please could you give your reasons and not just a yes or no answer

Many thank

The deluxe skins, and tennogen, compliment the current F2P model.

Add more Pay to Play items, specifically frames/weapons, and you ruin what once complimented each other so well.

You now have more 'Pay-to-play' elements than you do F2P elements. This would be a disaster, as it would stop people coming in, and it would push people like me away who get sick of people boasting about their non-tangible virtual items. 

There are some Tennogen contributors that put out themed ranges of outstanding content, and have had almost all of their themed range accepted so far. The main example I can think of is Faven_PS' Graxx line of skins - Grineer themed premium quality skins all with alt helmets. They have Nova, Mirage, Rhino, Excalibur, Frost, Volt, Valkyr, and a syandana all accepted so far, with a Nyx, Ember, Saryn, and second syandana in the workshop and looking amazing and ready to be accepted for the next wave.

If you want a set of items with a purely cosmetic difference and a set of heavy lore, why don't you design them yourself? If you lack the skills to actually make them, find someone who has the skills to do so.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

[Pay-only items that aren't cosmetics]

DE does not lock items behind paywalls, except cosmetics and Prime cosmetics. If you believe this 'Alpha' line must be put in that fashion, then it must be a cosmetic range instead of actual, pre-built items.

Spoiler

As for Umbra, I believe the starter weapons and Warframes would, eventually be Umbra'd (Mag/Loki/Volt, and Braton/Paris, Lato/Kunai, Skana/Bo), although these would all require their non-Prime counterparts to be sacrificed to acquire access. One of my concepts is an altered version of the original tutorial mission in Warframe (when you first awake) which involves you (the Tenno him/herself)  and your Orbiter having been downed, but the enemy are still searching.

You would grab a trio of these Umbra weapons, which would have adjustable stats but are more of a sidegrade to the Prime versions (no Kunai P yet, and Lato/Skana Ps are Founder-Exclusives, I know), and after returning the Umbra to yourself, you'd get the option to send another 'frame back to the spot to pick up the other weapons, although it would be a very dangerous task as you wouldn't have your mods on your Warframe or weapons due to the Orbiter being under repair.

Furthermore, the Umbra would speak like a Spectre, retaining what appears to be some thoughts from a previous operator; basically, it speaks in lieu of your Operator, and your team would hear it. Using emotes like 'disagree' and 'follow' with the Umbra would make it say such in that Spectre voice.

I would suggest having these 'Alphas' as additional cosmetics that would cover a range of weapons and Warframes and provide a 'pre-release' design (i.e: before mass-production and before being gilded in gold) as was subtly alluded to by the one who 'became one with the forest'...

Spoiler

...Then there would be 'Betas', which would be a blend of the Orokin and Tenno designs unlike the 'Alphas', which are of Orokin design, but are not Prime as they are the first iterations of the Warframes (simplistic design hinting at current Warframe's default design, like a concept built for a testing phase).

On a completely different subject to do with mods, I have made a concept for a new kind of Arcane, for those concerned about mod slots and capacities for other mods like Intruder.

Spoiler

Perhaps design a new Arcane that would be 'blank', but be of four types: Warframe, Primary/Secondary/Melee, Companion. The mods installed (4 total, 20 capacity) would be 1/4th their original effectiveness or so, but would be a valuable addition. These could be found in pieces (full sets often span across Derelicts, Voids, and their Challenge Rooms, but these cannot be traded) and when built with a bias (i.e: 2 pieces or more are for Warframes) it would be made able to be mounted onto that slot (Warframes), although doesn't mount on the Warframes themselves.

Doesn't work in Dojo or Conclave. Is always going to be inferior to the current Arcanes. 

Assembly requirements: 3 Arcane Slot Cartridges, 1 Exilus, 4 Forma, 50 Ducats. Resource requirements may involve Cryotic and Oxium.

1 hour ago, Glitch_Kitten said:

why would you want this?

it's not like de doesn't get enough money, and it'd just annoy the community.

If DE has more money they can employee more people to make the game they want and we love better

36 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

So a skin that's not called a skin?

????

Yes, you can mod it differently if you want

44 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

The deluxe skins, and tennogen, compliment the current F2P model.

Add more Pay to Play items, specifically frames/weapons, and you ruin what once complimented each other so well.

You now have more 'Pay-to-play' elements than you do F2P elements. This would be a disaster, as it would stop people coming in, and it would push people like me away who get sick of people boasting about their non-tangible virtual items. 

With the current system you can get everything apart from Prime accessories and tennogen items for free (i.e. trading) and as a PS4 Tenno we are not guaranteed all the tennogen items, so I feel the consoles don't have the problem like our PC tenno borthers do

24 minutes ago, mindlord0013 said:

There are some Tennogen contributors that put out themed ranges of outstanding content, and have had almost all of their themed range accepted so far. The main example I can think of is Faven_PS' Graxx line of skins - Grineer themed premium quality skins all with alt helmets. They have Nova, Mirage, Rhino, Excalibur, Frost, Volt, Valkyr, and a syandana all accepted so far, with a Nyx, Ember, Saryn, and second syandana in the workshop and looking amazing and ready to be accepted for the next wave.

If you want a set of items with a purely cosmetic difference and a set of heavy lore, why don't you design them yourself? If you lack the skills to actually make them, find someone who has the skills to do so.

PS4 Tenno are not even aware if the Graxx line is coming to us

It is also one of the many reason I have put this forward, if it is in DE's hands then it will come to ALL platforms

45 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

You realize it takes a literal 'team' of art designers, animation artists, programmers sound designers and I don't even know what else to create just one new frame.  I know you kindly suggested 'at least' 2 people but it would likely require an entire secondary team of various stations to do nothing but produce content.

I think you are vastly underestimating how much time and effort goes into making weapons, animations, sound effects and most of all, frames.

I feel like your heart is in the right place, wanting to produce another source of revenue for DE but this isn't it.  If you want to support DE, buy a PA, heck buy two and gift one to a friend but let's leave the business models in DE's hands, they seem to be doing alright so far. 

The Tennogen designers seem to be doing quite well on there own and just to be clear I am talking about reskining the current items and adding slightly different animations, not making brand new items, that the reason I suggest at least two one designer and one animation person

It seems like the life blood of warframe is new items or fashion frame and I would never suggest new items be pay only, so I can only see a new range to accompany the prime range to be a possibility and still within the ethos that DE is trying to achieve 

Edited by (PS4)KainBethell
Spelling and a few extra comments

No.

I'm not as concerned as some people are for looking "unique". Personally I don't often notice what other people are wearing in the game because i'm concentrating on the mission. 

The prices of things in this game are quite high for what they are. Prime Access alone is around the cost of a brand new triple a title and that is far too much for me to spend on something cosmetic in a game I may put down at any moment.

I wouldn't be able to justify to my husband why I spent a chunk of money we both work hard for on a games cosmetic items at the price DE charge. Don't get me wrong, i've spent the odd £5 - £7 on cosmetics in other games but when you look at the £30 - £60 DE charge for Prime stuff .... yeah, not happening.... ever. 

1 hour ago, Extroah said:

Umbra will be a range of Frames, not only Excalibur Umbra.

As for the Topic, i would 100% buy an "Alpha" version of my fav. Frames, specially Excalibur. I missed the Founders Program so no Prime Excalibur for me, but an "Alpha" would certainly be something to drool over, depending on how they decide to make them look like. Umbra is already said to be the "Dark/Evil"-Warframe lineup, so "Alpha" could have design inspirations from somewhere else, maybe the opposite of Umbra, like a "holy" Version. White with Blue accents and some "halo/aura" around them or something.

Yes I had that in the back of my mind

15 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

I would suggest having these 'Alphas' as additional cosmetics that would cover a range of weapons and Warframes and provide a 'pre-release' design (i.e: before mass-production and before being gilded in gold) as was subtly alluded to by the one who 'became one with the forest'...

A very good idea as well

9 minutes ago, Ailissa said:

The prices of things in this game are quite high for what they are. Prime Access alone is around the cost of a brand new triple a title and that is far too much for me to spend on something cosmetic in a game I may put down at any moment.

I wouldn't be able to justify to my husband why I spent a chunk of money we both work hard for on a games cosmetic items at the price DE charge. Don't get me wrong, i've spent the odd £5 - £7 on cosmetics in other games but when you look at the £30 - £60 DE charge for Prime stuff .... yeah, not happening.... ever. 

No I agree

I was thinking £5 for the frame and £3 for the other items each, or do a bundle of everything produced that month for a £10

One of the things I would like this to be is extra money for DE, but a cheaper fashion frame possibility to many Tenno out there that cannot afford the prices of the PA and PAA

16 minutes ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

If DE has more money they can employee more people to make the game they want and we love better

more people =/= better quality

also that's really, really poor reasoning. de isnt some indie company, they're relatively large, they don't NEED the money, the prime access and prime unvaulting is a much, much, much better way of them boosting sales, rather than selling reskins that count as different weapons. 

There's literally no point to having an 'alpha' range, because they're literally just skins with no added benefits other than 'i spent money on this game haha look at me guys im cool'

9 minutes ago, SpeedOfLightPuncher said:

Then they are just skins.... 

1 hour ago, (PS4)KainBethell said:

* Just to be clear these items would have the same stat values as there prime/unprimed counterparts, but would have different animations and design style, they would be items and not just skins, but wouldn’t necessarily have to give mastery points *

If you wish to define them as just skins then yes they are just a skins, but a new skins that would have its own frame that the skins was the default for and won't be able to change to the normal one just the deluxe and tennogen skin would be equitable

5 minutes ago, Glitch_Kitten said:

more people =/= better quality

also that's really, really poor reasoning. de isnt some indie company, they're relatively large, they don't NEED the money, the prime access and prime unvaulting is a much, much, much better way of them boosting sales, rather than selling reskins that count as different weapons. 

There's literally no point to having an 'alpha' range, because they're literally just skins with no added benefits other than 'i spent money on this game haha look at me guys im cool'

I'm sorry you feel that way about my idea Glitch_Kitten but thank you for your input on the subject

What your describing sound like premium skins, but ones that would take up a new load-out slot. I dont think that would work.

Though the way your text is worded makes it hard to understand what exactly your trying to propose. Remember that some premium skins do have separate animations and design styles (like the nova one).

I think instead of what youve proposed, they should add a more 'elite' category on the Tennogen steam workshop were people can submit much more high quality, more advanced skins / models.