Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, how is Mag these days?

(PSN)Haileychi

Mag. One of the first three Warframes a new player can have, and an option for a seasoned player to keep in their arsenal. The Mag I believe is somewhat an underrated frame that is overshadowed by others, even if she is one of the first few ever since the game's inception. I chose her as my starter frame other than the revamped Excalibur and the not-so-changed Volt, because why not? I plan to keep her in early and midgame until I replace her with a stronger one for endgame, but I would like to hear about what others think of her abilities and stats Mag offers. But for now, let's go with her skills, then your thoughts on this high-shielded yet squishy Warframe.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Pull: Magnetic force pulls enemies toward you, stunning them and bringing them into melee range.

When starting out with Mag, her first skill is kind of pointless, as she only pulls enemies towards her direction only a bullet jump away. However, maxing her out and putting a fully maxed Streamline mod can bring every enemy you face in their direction in a huge room, even larger than the room where you fight Alad V. I always spam this thing when I meet large groups of enemies, either killing them or finishing them off with a melee weapon. This also works when battling in the Conclave. Pull can annoy opposing players and gives you at least approximately one and a half second to jump on them and slicing away. Unless one puts a mod that can increase the strength of Mag's power, Pull can't insta-kill anything midtier and endtier, as Pull can only do a quarter of damage or maybe even a dent in their health. But this can also give Mag a breather if she has low shields and/or health, giving her time to run and recover.

Magnetize: Creates a magnetic field around a target, ensnaring enemies and dealing damage over time. The field reacts to bullets and shards created from Polarize to increase the damage.

This is very useful when in Excavation missions. Say Mag is protecting an Extractor from two routes betwixt them, and enemies pouring out from each side. She can use this to on a target on one side, and if narrow enough, creates a damage-dealing barrier to protect her and the Extractor, forcing the enemies either pointlessly shooting the bubble and/or forcing them to go through it only to die inside. She doesn't need to worry about that side as she takes care of the other. Even if the enemy manages to survive getting through the barrier, then boom! Their efforts wasted as they dissolve into particles. If in the Conclave she uses it on an opposing player, the player is forced to hide from the conflict until the timer ends to prevent getting shredded by Mag's teammates. Trust me. In both scenarios, Mag's allies will love her for this and her enemies become salty about it.

Polarize: Emit an energy pulse that depletes enemy shields and armor, creating shards which become deadly when mixed with Magnetize. Shields of allies touched by the pulse are restored.

I have nothing much to say about Mag's third skill, it was pretty much said at the bold text above. I'll just say that the pulse can travel far, but its speed will not catch any enemy that is smart enough to run an adequate distance away from the pulse. It is also a bit useless in Conclave, as Polarize just works as a failsafe rather than a safety measure. Mag will be already in the opposing teams' line of fire as she executes the skill, no doubt receiving a three-inch hole in her head.

Crush: Magnetizes the bones of nearby enemies, causing them to collapse upon themselves.

Mag's ultimate fourth skill, the more shorter-ranged yet more damage-dealing version of Pull that never pulls. Again, nothing to explain much. Just look at the bold text above. Put a Streamline mod and every enemy in the area falls apart like crumpled paper. But if Mag is confronted by a horde of Infested, it is very important that she removes the Ancient Healer first. I swear, this arse can heal its fellow freaks or grants them severely increased armor buff (or so I think) so they can survive Mag's ultimate, giving her a bad time. Aside from that, have fun seeing an atrium full of mangled corpses!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Mag is a highly-shielded Warframe with measely amount of armor. She has many opportunities to deal great amounts of damage, while also providing her team support. But she is a frame that is easy to kill, as she needs heavy shield, armor, and health mods if she ever faces tougher enemies more imposing than others. It is important to stay mobile and fluid around the area, zig-zagging around the place in unpredictable turns to prevent being damaged while dispatching enemies one by one. She heavily relies on Pull to either decimate her enemies when need be, or to run and recover when in pressure. All-in-all, Mag is a versatile Warframe that can manipulate her enemies in the battlefield. Learn how to play her right, and she may be a worthy weapon in your arsenal.

-----------------------------------------------------

Alright! So, what do you lot think of her? Good? Bad? Eh? None of the above? Give me your thoughts of Mag! Constructive criticism is appreciated!

-Haileychi

Edited by (PS4)Haileychi
Wth so many typos I f-ing did this thing on an iPhone

Before rework: only useful against Corpus, press 2 once to kill everything, except if there were nullifiers, because then she was useless. Completely.

After rework:
Useful against Corpus: need to use combos with 2 and 3, need a bit of duration and not that much Power Strength and she destroys everything with combo abilities.
Useful against Grineer: shreds their armor, Stöfler is basically just mashing the buttons and stealing the kills from the "press 4 to win Ash" (who will be changed soon).
Bosskiller: just keep your 2 on that boss and he can't even hit you, and even if your enemy is Lech Kril or Sargas Ruk, the enemies that need some tactic to kill because hard to hit their weak-spots you will just evaporate them.

Some people say she's weak, but she's not. Those are usually the players who hate the Saryn "press-4-to-win" changes as well.
No offense to anyone though, you have your opinions, and I have my experience.

Of the 3 starter frames, she'd be my first pick for a sortie 3 or other high level content.  Magnetize is simultaneously a near total incoming damage negator, crowd control, and damage amplifier.  Combine a range/duration mag with a gas lanka, and you're looking at easy mode sortie 3s.

She`s really good to be honest. When I first tried her a few months back I despised her, leveled her to 30 and deleted her. But 2 weeks ago I bought her prime version for a decent price and gave her another try, and now I love her. She's awesome against both Grineer, Corrupted and Corpus, she can damage, she can cc, she can buff. She's my second favorite starter frame, right after Volt. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

She is garbage at this point. Not worth picking at all. I was so disgusted with the changes that I haven't even bothered leveling Mag Prime for MR. I have Mag P, unranked, collecting dust in my inventory.

I have seen you saying that she's garbage. Why is she, though? I can see a statement but nothing to prove it.

Just now, ShadowFox14 said:

I have seen you saying that she's garbage. Why is she, though? I can see a statement but nothing to prove it.

She wasn't super great to start with then they nerfed her.

First, she finally got some much needed team synergy with G-Pull so they nerfed it. Then to further twist the knife, they nerfed Shield Polarize as well.

Pretty good all told.

She very flexible now in confronting enemy types and has several tricks up her sleeves for dealing with them. The polarize/magnetize combo is great for area denial and enemies can be pulled into it if you're really feeling like rubbing insult into injury. Both crush and pull have CC features and do substantial damage. She's flexible in builds and different aspects of all her powers can be emphasized depending what you want from her.

She has control, can debuff armor, recover shields and defend fixed objectives. She's basically a Swiss Army Knife 'frame now and not the sad one-trick pony she used to be.

Just now, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

First, she finally got some much needed team synergy with G-Pull so they nerfed it. Then to further twist the knife, they nerfed Shield Polarize as well.

Sorry, but all I can see is me getting 60-80% team damage vs. Saryn and Ash. (not against infested though)
Also, when did this so-called nerf happen? What did they change to nerf it?

1 minute ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

And I get 90% team damage as Nova; it doesn't mean crap.

Still doesn't answer my question. And if you really can get 90% against Ash as a Nova, then good job, you did something better than anyone in the world.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Not really team synergy, but making it easier to camp one spot, namely the pipes in void missions, encouraging the one button spam we've all come to love/hate.

Just now, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

It's called just being able to aim, knowing how to build a 4+ forma weapon helps too.

By the time you shoot 1 enemy, the Ash has already used your molecular prime to destroy the whole map.
And still, you are not answering my question: why is Mag bad?

4 minutes ago, ShadowFox14 said:

By the time you shoot 1 enemy, the Ash has already used your molecular prime to destroy the whole map.
And still, you are not answering my question: why is Mag bad?

Mags not bad at all. With mostly just her powers I went 2.1k kills in a 60min survival, high level void. Could have kept going but my teammates damage was falling off too heavily while I was still going strong. but im not gonna force people to be bored hitting 100 dmg.

1 minute ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

-snip-

From what I see you're just super salty about G-pull being nerfed, which was needed because sitting in one spot (most with macro'd buttons to afk these things) pressing one button the whole time to max everything you have equipped is broken, its not playing the game, and it ruined the fun of even playing having people try to force you to play afksimulator. I've been using mag the past 2 weeks and she pretty much puts many frames to shame by stripping 100% armor, even one shotting lv 70+ enemies with polarize. 
Just because shes not a corpus insta nuke anymore doesnt make her bad. She's now able to rip apart corpus and grineer with ease, and her magnetize ability is a good use as a shield in dense masses of enemies when reviving your team, and also good for soaking up damage to explode and wipe a huge part of a group while youre off focusing on the other part of the map/objective. 

On 29/10/2016 at 4:56 PM, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Atomos

Yes, I did. If you chose to ignore it then that is on you.

If you haven't tried her out with the good build, then I don't even know why you are here spreading your opinions and forcing it on people.
Because if you actually used an okay build, then you would have a different opinion.

Edited by [DE]Taylor
removed rude remark