Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Happened to the prime cinematic teaser ?

Legorian

Yeah I still don't even understand the difference between a "cinematics" and a "cutscenes" sorry. But anyway I thought OP was about the new trend we had with Ballas narrating an action piece and not the old style of lovingly walking the camera along a beautiful render. Anyway.

4 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

Seeing the teaser you linked is leading me to believe DE might actually be avoiding dealing with Valkyr's lore. Interesting.

Very likely, and understandable too. I am not very optimistic about a further expansion of this trailer, but let's see, I guess. It's only been a few hours. Would be wonderful to be decisively proven wrong for once.

4 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

I think the majority of things we expected but didn't ship weren't deployed simply because they just weren't ready.

Because they didn't have enough time.

Because they haven't figured out the best way to do it.

Valkyr's prime trailer and lore falls into that "not ready" category, I think.

I'd take a crack at it, but it seems pretty challenging, getting all the lore to line up perfectly. Also, I promised Mirage and Frost first...

The latter is closer to the truth. I mean, look at the fates of Margulis and Ordan Karris, as decided by Ballas. I'm not saying he should be completely devoid of depth and complexity, but the broken heart theme is a little too sentimental for Ballas. It also doesn't give Valkyr a specific purpose, other than capitalizing on emotions, and rage incarnate. It's somewhat vague for a guiding theme behind a tool of warfare.

I really did expect a badass Valkyr trailer, too. A little disappointed we didn't get one. Maybe I will take a crack at her lore. Wish me luck.

It depend on your angle of approach. 

We have a man who is among the most powerful. But their world is dying and them along with it. They need a new homeplanet. 

A Plan is needed. The destination is Tau, impossibly far.

Ballas loves Margulis, a brilliant Archimedian but not true Orokin. Ballas wants her to be, but their cold and cruel actions make her challenge them. Ballas tries to talk her out of it, but she will not budge.

She dies and he feels full of contempt and full of loss.

What does he do? He creates the warframes in Margulis name. 

He helps to create the Starfish secretly wanting them to destroy the Orokin.

He creates Ordis to care for the Tenno as a final legacy of his lost love.

He goes as far as to release the Infestation and make sure Soldier Grineer batches have higher level of intelligence, to bring about a Grineer uprising.

He may even be involved in the massacre at Terminus.

To bring the cold and gold emperors down.

--- too improbable? I don't know. 

23 minutes ago, ShaneKahnnigan17 said:

The saltiness RESONATES all over the forum these days, won't you agree? 

Yes. Like dry grass catching the tiniest of red sparks from a distant fire setting the entire land ablaze.

People are on edge after War Within I think. We all wonder about Warframes future now.

23 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Yes. Like dry grass catching the tiniest of red sparks from a distant fire setting the entire land ablaze.

People are on edge after War Within I think. We all wonder about Warframes future now.

Well, after all the complaining is done only Silence will remain. And death.

46 minutes ago, Belgard said:

Yeah I still don't even understand the difference between a "cinematics" and a "cutscenes" sorry. But anyway I thought OP was about the new trend we had with Ballas narrating an action piece and not the old style of lovingly walking the camera along a beautiful render. Anyway.

Very likely, and understandable too. I am not very optimistic about a further expansion of this trailer, but let's see, I guess. It's only been a few hours. Would be wonderful to be decisively proven wrong for once.

No, no, I meant the OP used teaser to describe what I think are more aptly called trailers. But yes, we're all thinking of the same new trend with Balls narrating.

What you posted from Twitter counts as a cinematic teaser. (I agreed with you, if you'll just re-read my post for clarity :)

I was saying the OP should've used 'trailer' in the OP, but that's just being pedantic. Which I am. Often.

42 minutes ago, arch111 said:

It depend on your angle of approach. 

We have a man who is among the most powerful. But their world is dying and them along with it. They need a new homeplanet. 

A Plan is needed. The destination is Tau, impossibly far.

Ballas loves Margulis, a brilliant Archimedian but not true Orokin. Ballas wants her to be, but their cold and cruel actions make her challenge them. Ballas tries to talk her out of it, but she will not budge.

She dies and he feels full of contempt and full of loss.

What does he do? He creates the warframes in Margulis name. 

He helps to create the Starfish secretly wanting them to destroy the Orokin.

He creates Ordis to care for the Tenno as a final legacy of his lost love.

He goes as far as to release the Infestation and make sure Soldier Grineer batches have higher level of intelligence, to bring about a Grineer uprising.

He may even be involved in the massacre at Terminus.

To bring the cold and gold emperors down.

--- too improbable? I don't know. 

It does depend on the approach, indeed. It's also too improbable as you outline. It's basically retconning Ballas, and all his actions, to be secretly good. I just don't think that would hold up under player scrutiny, or that we'd buy it. Juxtapose that with something like revealing the Tenno are stasis-locked (or were stasis-locked), wonder kids. DE left hints all along that they were headed to that plot development.

There are no such hints that Ballas hates the Orokin and planned for their demise.

It also undercuts the powerful narratives of other characters (Margulis, Lotus, Tenno) in order to prop up Ballas as the one man who was behind everything. Gives him too much power, and story real estate better shared between the story's (and history's) important characters. It also hinges everything on the death of Margulis (something he participated in). Destroying one's entire society for a lost love is beyond selfish. It has been, is, and will be done in stories--sure. It just doesn't fit this story, imo.

I mean, he'd also have to be one hell of an actor. Detron crewman entry starts with this:

They opened the chamber door just in time for me to see it happen; the Archimedian erupting into a flash, jade-like and blinding. I knew her. She was the greatest scholar of genetics who ever lived. Except now she was nothing but mist and gore.

And ends with Ballas gloating about his own manipulation, smiling, mere minutes after vaporizing the woman he loved:

“You did better than I thought you would,” it was Ballas, the man, not the projection. “It would seem nobody truly knows they want a thing until you threaten to take it away.” He broke into a smile, “Wouldn’t you agree, Archimedian?”

Personally, I like him as he is. Calculating, visionary, manipulative and cruel-genius, cold yet was warm to Margulis, remorseful (perhaps), but in the end an unapologetic Orokin bast***. 

Edited by Rhekemi

10 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

It also undercuts the powerful narratives of other characters (Margulis, Lotus, Tenno) in order to prop up Ballas as the one man who was behind everything. Gives him too much power, and story real estate better shared between the story (and history's) important characters. It also hinges everything on the death of Margulis (something he participated in). Destroying one's entire society for a lost love is beyond selfish. It has been, is, and will be done in stories--sure. It just doesn't fit this story, imo.

Wonderful post, in all. A small note though -- whoever the Detron Crewman Synthesis woman was, she is unlikely to be Margulis. After all, Margulis was still alive to meet the Tenno, who got their powers in an unfortunately aborted journey to Tau, via the rail the Sentients (first presented in that very same Synthesis?) supposedly built.

21 minutes ago, Belgard said:

Wonderful post, in all. A small note though -- whoever the Detron Crewman Synthesis woman was, she is unlikely to be Margulis. After all, Margulis was still alive to meet the Tenno, who got their powers in an unfortunately aborted journey to Tau, via the rail the Sentients (first presented in that very same Synthesis?) supposedly built.

This has always bothered me about the timeline.

If that's Margulis, how could it have come before the Sentients even reached Tau?

Hopefully, you're right and that wasn't her.

And thanks.

3 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

I think the majority of things we expected but didn't ship weren't deployed simply because they just weren't ready.

Because they didn't have enough time.

Because they haven't figured out the best way to do it.

Valkyr's prime trailer and lore falls into that "not ready" category, I think.

I'd take a crack at it, but it seems pretty challenging, getting all the lore to line up perfectly. Also, I promised Mirage and Frost first...

The latter is closer to the truth. I mean, look at the fates of Margulis and Ordan Karris, as decided by Ballas. I'm not saying he should be completely devoid of depth and complexity, but the broken heart theme is a little too sentimental for Ballas. It also doesn't give Valkyr a specific purpose, other than capitalizing on emotions, and rage incarnate. It's somewhat vague for a guiding theme behind a tool of warfare.

I really did expect a badass Valkyr trailer, too. A little disappointed we didn't get one. Maybe I will take a crack at her lore. Wish me luck.

Ballas and Margulis seem to have been lovers, and he sentenced Margulis reluctantly, if Saryn's trailer didn't make it obvious he still cared for her. The voice clips in Second Dream specify that he would not be able to protect Margulis from the other Seven, and that she should ask for forgiveness, lest the Seven sentence death, and he laments "Margulis, why?", after the sentence is set. Ordan was basically a stranger by comparison, so he no doubt would hold less sentiment toward him.

Edited by UrielColtan

1 hour ago, UrielColtan said:

Ballas and Margulis seem to have been lovers, and he sentenced Margulis reluctantly, if Saryn's trailer didn't make it obvious he still cared for her.

Yes. I know. This was never in dispute.

The voice clips in Second Dream specify that he would not be able to protect Margulis from the other Seven, and that she should ask for forgiveness, lest the Seven sentence death, and he laments "Margulis, why?", after the sentence is set. Ordan was basically a stranger by comparison, so he no doubt would hold less sentiment toward him.

Also true. 

However, if you'll read my comments in the context of the conversation arch and I were having, my point wasn't simply "Ballas doesn't care about people. Look how he treated Margulis and Ordan."

My point was that using his feelings for Margulis as the basis, inspiration, or guiding theme behind Valkyr's rage doesn't hold much water.

But sure, I'll concede he truly had a broken heart over Margulis. Doesn't change my feelings on that pain being translated into Valkyr as rage incarnate.

1 hour ago, UrielColtan said:

The other topic says they posted on Facebook that a legit trailer is coming.

Yeah, someone posted it earlier. Still excited to see what they come up with though:

5 hours ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Well DE did mention on facebook that a Ballas narration is coming in the future, so yeah guess they didn't manage to get it done on time.

39 minutes ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Does no1 pay attention to the WF youtube?

That's not what we're talking about, though.

Also, the irony is you didn't even pay attention to the thread you were posting in. 

Belgard posted that teaser (not the trailer we're all asking for) 5 hours ago in this thread:

5 hours ago, Belgard said:

Does this count as a cinematic teaser

But, yeah, what we want (the teaser is badass!) is the trailer with Ballas' narration, and insight into her creation. Lore. That's the trailer we're asking 'bout.

Edited by Rhekemi

18 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

Yes. I know. This was never in dispute.

Also true. 

However, if you'll read my comments in the context of the conversation arch and I were having, my point wasn't simply "Ballas doesn't care about people. Look how he treated Margulis and Ordan."

My point was that using his feelings for Margulis as the basis, inspiration, or guiding theme behind Valkyr's rage doesn't hold much water.

But sure, I'll concede he truly had a broken heart over Margulis. Doesn't change my feelings on that pain being translated into Valkyr as rage incarnate.

Yeah, someone posted it earlier. Still excited to see what they come up with though:

That's not what we're talking about, though.

Also, the irony is you didn't even pay attention to the thread you were posting in. 

Belgard posted that teaser (not the trailer we're all asking for) 5 hours ago in this thread:

But, yeah, what we want (the teaser is badass!) is the trailer with Ballas' narration, and insight into her creation. Lore. That's the trailer we're asking 'bout.

Well obviously it's not confirmed that Margulis is who inspired the rage that Valkyr has. However I would not be surprised at the possibility of Margulis being an inspiration in some way, seeing as she seems to have been one for Saryn. Either way, rage should also be part of the motivation behind this frame, regardless of who inspired it in him.

Edited by UrielColtan

26 minutes ago, UrielColtan said:

Well obviously it's not confirmed that Margulis is who inspired the rage that Valkyr has. However I would not be surprised at the possibility of Margulis being an inspiration in some way, seeing as she seems to have been one for Saryn. Either way, rage should also be part of the motivation behind this frame, regardless of who inspired it in him.

This was never in dispute. We (arch and I) were having a theory crafting debate.

As for the rage, ditto. Also never in dispute. Though, I'd like to see them capitalize on that blurb "proud warrior" as well.

I still wouldn't like to hear that it's the personification of his rage about Margulis, though. Saryn was fine as a dedicaation to Margulis, but if DE makes Valkyr about Ballas' rage, that's just making it about him.

None of the others have done this.

Saryn as a dedication to Margulis is only half of her purpose. The rest was creating a way to wipe out the Infestation (its threat to the worlds is bigger than Margulis and Ballas).

Vauban was to counter the greed-driven Corpus faction, and their war-profiteering (also bigger than Ballas, and not about him).

Nekros was the embodiment of fear, and how to turn that into a weapon (also bigger than Ballas).

I like love stories. I like tragic love stories. I don't like them engulfing, or affecting, ever other major plot development when there are plenty of other important factors in the world, plenty of inspirations to draw from.

Count me firmly in the camp that doesn't want Valkyr to be about Ballas' personal rage/turmoil over Margulis death.

Trailer must contain a nod to Wolverine. I'll take any version of this brain-shank.

Spoiler

hShs5dT.gif

Edited by Rhekemi

48 minutes ago, kyori said:

I don't even care about the lore anymore as every frame will have a prime version(sooner or later) thus it is a business thing... the lore is just something they slap in so to make fans happy.

Yes and even storybooks are sold for business reasons, it does not mean they don't still have a storyline. Every frame getting a prime is merely supplemental to the general narrative being told. Details of the old plague, Margulis, Zariman, Corpus, Orokin mortality, etc.

Edited by UrielColtan

22 minutes ago, UrielColtan said:

Yes and even storybooks are sold for business reasons, it does not mean they don't still have a storyline. Every frame getting a prime is merely supplemental to the general narrative being told. Details of the old plague, Margulis, Zariman, Corpus, Orokin mortality, etc.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, UrielColtan said:

Ballas and Margulis seem to have been lovers, and he sentenced Margulis reluctantly, if Saryn's trailer didn't make it obvious he still cared for her.

I somehow don't think Ballas's feelings were very deep and pure. He comes across as a self-serving hypocrite, talking about the dangers of bending the law right as he is doing that himself. It's unclear if there was anyone higher in Orokin hierarchy than him, but he was pretty damn high up there for certain. He would be in position to protect Margulis from socially engineered dangers if he so wished. Instead he put Margulis on trial and had her executed (seven hands raised, his included) for the Transference project, only to take it and expand upon it after her death. Don't make him into some high-principled person who would sacrifice love for justice. All he has ever sacrificed were other people, to advance his own goals.

Edited by Belgard

Hey Tenno! 

Do not fear, we're definitely working on getting Valkyr Prime the spotlight she deserves. The animation team has been recovering from The War Within after working extremely hard on the cinematics for the quest. So in the meantime, the multi-media team made this epic Valkyr Prime trailer seen here: 

Now that we have the resources post-The War Within, you can look forward to Valkyr Prime's own Ballas-narrated cinematic. Thank you! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Now that we have the resources post-The War Within, you can look forward to Valkyr Prime's own Ballas-narrated cinematic.

Thank you, it's such a relief to finally get an official confirmation.

The multi-media team did something great there too :)