Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 8.3: Feedback Thread

[DE]Rebecca

I play a lot with Volt,and I just tested him the first time after 8.3.

1. Shock: I like it a lot, its just plain fun against low level enemies and higher lvl corpus. I really dont care if it does not do a lot against high lvl enemies.

2. Speed: Highly questionable changes. Imo it was better before. I would rather go for an additional electrical meelee damage boost instead of the team benefits it has now. Shocking touch (+ electrical damage for meelee) is after all the weakest elemental mod, so giving the electrical guy another benefit would make sense.

3. Electric shield: Well what should I say? Instead of fixing the hosting bug and making this ability his flagship move aginst high lvl enemies, this remains untouched. No wait, now I cant even shoot through it while Im soloing? Buffing this skill alone would made him near god tier imo. In high lvl defense, nobody cares for ultis anymore. This is his one tactical skill, and thats the one that needs fixing not the other 3.

4. The animation now is kind of weird, as if he is pleased with killing stuff and decides to float a little longer because he is fabulous.

So in conclusion: Thanks for taking a look at Volt but pls fix and buff Electric shield and Speed and we have a good frame.

Please forgive my inability to communicate.  I meant to say that as of 8.3 he is not a viable warframe.  He used to be acceptable, although his Shock did nothing.  And I've said before it was the electrical resistance to blame for most of the Volt woes, rather than out and out bad mechanics.  The bad mechanics are a thing as of today.  He was limited but good when I played him before 8.3, and now he's just weak.

Basically, his damage element is the weakest one possible, his utility is sidegraded, and his Uber turns him into a target.  He is broken, and the "buffs" he recieved are to blame (with the exception of Shock, which works).

Exactly. I just hope they see people aren't pleased with the changes. Game companies do off with complaints as simple whining way too often these days.

Edited by Ratiasu

Please forgive my inability to communicate. I meant to say that as of 8.3 he is not a viable warframe. He used to be acceptable, although his Shock did nothing. And I've said before it was the electrical resistance to blame for most of the Volt woes, rather than out and out bad mechanics. The bad mechanics are a thing as of today. He was limited but good when I played him before 8.3, and now he's just weak.

Basically, his damage element is the weakest one possible, his utility is sidegraded, and his Uber turns him into a target. He is broken, and the "buffs" he recieved are to blame (with the exception of Shock, which works).

You might just suck at using Volt. Although his skills still need a bit more work (come on just buff Shock's damage against Grineer and Infested. 42 damage against a level 25 grineer trooper)

I have never met anyone who didn't like me using speed in a party and I ran more then 20 missions since the update.

Shield is bugged and will most likely be fixed next hotfix.

Overload is way better and just needs its animation fixed. You make Volt seem like a waste of time when in fact he will remains the most fun to play frame except maybe Vauban. Look at Saryn. Her spores are too hard to hit and the dot is too small. Contagion is useless, Molt is good, and only Miasma is beast. See, when you work at it, any frame is easy to water down. And didn't they say thy removed elemental resistances in enemies and just made their weakness do 3x damage? That just means Volt needs damage buffs to Shock, Make speed as fast as it was before but still have the benefits for teammates and the melee bonus, make the shield bigger through stretch and fix its shoot through bug, and fix Overloads animation

Edited by Solaurus

You might just suck at using Volt. Although his skills still need a bit more work (come one just buff Shock's damage against Grineer and Infested. 42 damage against a level 25 grineer trooper)

I have never met anyone who didn't like me using speed in a party and I ran more then 20 missions since the update.

Shield is bugged and will most likely be fixed next hotfix.

Overload is way better and just needs its animation fixed. You make Volt seem like a waste of time when in fact he will remains the most fun to play frame except maybe Vauban. Look at Saryn. Her spores are too hard to hit and the dot is too small. Contagion is useless, Molt is good, and only Miasma is beast. See, when you work at it, any frame is easy to water down.

You are actively telling people how to have fun. I can only respond with equally unhelpful statements.

Soloers aren't having fun. People who liked actually going fast aren't having fun. And people who want to play the game more than one way aren't having fun. This 'buff' requires a very specific build all but demanding marathon and metal auger.

You are actively telling people how to have fun. I can only respond with equally unhelpful statements.

Soloers aren't having fun. People who liked actually going fast aren't having fun. And people who want to play the game more than one way aren't having fun. This 'buff' requires a very specific build all but demanding marathon and metal auger.

That's why I suggested DE return Speed to its original speed but keep the teammate buffs. And how exactly in detail, am I telling people to have fun? I jut pointed out the benefits of what we got with what we need in the future.

That's why I suggested DE return Speed to its original speed but keep the teammate buffs. And how exactly in detail, am I telling people to have fun? I jut pointed out the benefits of what we got with what we need in the future.

50% more meele attack speed means a 50% DPS boost along with a 50% movement speed increase, it's amazing!!

(and you can still run like a Loki plus hopefully dont have to wait for slow teammates)

I think speed got a great buff, increasing is effectiveness in combat and in party situation

It was a bad idea to turn it into a team buff to be honest. They had to nerf it to keep it balanced, hereby buffing the team, but nerfing the Volt as an individual. I don't think of myself as an egocentric person, but theres no way I'd give my precious map navigating skill to my teammates if it would make it get nerfed. It was also a very important tool for being able to keep up, now thats quite moot. Volt needs a base speed buff.

50% more meele attack speed means a 50% DPS boost along with a 50% movement speed increase, it's amazing!!

(and you can still run like a Loki plus hopefully dont have to wait for slow teammates)

I think speed got a great buff, increasing is effectiveness in combat and in party situation

Not really, because Volt is really bad at melee since he has very low armour. Plus... melee isn't really worth it unless you're going against infested, in which case it won't make that much difference anyways. =l

Also, people who picked Volt according to his description didn't pick him for his melee capabilities. They would've taken Excalibur.

Edited by Ratiasu

The closer enemies are to Overload, the more damage they should receive, in my opinion. To compensate for the animation length. Maybe have electrical discharges coming off Volt to zap enemies when they come too close during the ult.

I think he's saying that you can't just "jolly" over the issues at the moment.

Oh, and I solo against things around level, which means Pluto, Sedna, and Ceres. I do this because I like to have a good challenge. Volt is broken at upper end because his mechanics are too unfocused.

He does and will wreck face against low level mobs. That's a meaningless yardstick to measure with. I have problems because of design choices and bugs, not because of skill. When I realized that Volt cannot safely Overload unless everything can be hit by it, I had a problem. When I considered that Volt doesn't kill everything Overload hits, I had a problem.  Killing your way through a mission with great guns is easy.  I don't have an issue with the guns per se, but against the Warframe itself.

I don't like the new Speed, but that's my issue.  I didn't think the old one fit the 'Frame either.  My main problem isn't skill, but weak damage and glitchy skills.  I'm still assuming that the Overload thing is a bug.  If it isn't then, as I've said before, Volt is broken.  Otherwise he's just nerfed.  The "buff" to Shock was just to fix the skill, as it had no value before.  Losing speed from Speed is a nerf.  Gaining a little attack speed doesn't fix it, especially when the duration is so short.  Spreading it to other players (which don't exist in solo) is not a buff for Volt. 

Edited by Cytobel

Not really, because Volt is really bad at melee since he has very low armour. Plus... melee isn't really worth it unless you're going against infested, in which case it won't make that much difference anyways. =l

Also, people who picked Volt according to his description didn't pick him for his melee capabilities. They would've taken Excalibur.

while i may agree about the last part i'd say, why are u still talking about armor? none ever need armor. volt has the highest shields above frames that's enough to make it good as a first liner PLUS he's able to basically double is meele DPS now... allowing him to a more aggressive playstyle

while i may agree about the last part i'd say, why are u still talking about armor? none ever need armor. volt has the highest shields above frames that's enough to make it good as a first liner PLUS he's able to basically double is meele DPS now... allowing him to a more aggressive playstyle

Because in tier 3 void/ decent lvl defense, you usually can't pull off a kill on a lvl 60+ without getting downed, unless they're loner mobs. And even with the additional +50% charge speed, 1.5xLowDPS melee strike < a Latron bullet to the face. Charge speed on my Orthos is already incredibly fast too. 

At high lvl, HP/armour becomes very important, though I don't think I need to explain that to you. the difference between 50 and 100/150 armour is huge, and this gap becomes even wider when using mods to further increase it. Melee is atm just a gimmick for the people who think it's cool (exception for when it comes to infested) or if you somehow managed to run out of ammo. It totally doesn't synergize with the rest of his skills either.

Edited by Ratiasu

I may be missing something here, but it seems that you're suggesting that his shield is sufficient to counterbalance his lack of armor?  At this point I assume you're jolking, or overlooking the fact that different foes bring different tactics to the field.  I often see my shield break if I'm out of cover for more than a few seconds at close range, and the new Speed seems to make that his "place" in battle.  Oh, and toxic anything makes armor a factor.  Just fyi.

As to melee, no.  He is no better than any other frame at range, and worse than most at point blank.  According to the Wiki he has the worst possible armor score.  It was nerfed from 50 to 10.  Lets not forget his "defensive" move is stationary, only works against projectiles, AND is broken as of now.

This leaves us with a warframe that has horrible ranged damage (electricity is still a joke), a broken defensive ability, an AoE buff that suggests he needs to be at melee range where his lack of armor will kill him, AND he's been slowed down to give others his speed buff.

If the Wiki is right about his base armor, then even a fix to the silly "shoot me, I think I'm electric Jesus" bug leaves us with a frame that has been nerfed out of commission.  When I started playing with him, his armor was 50, and he still had durability issues.  Now that the  "this is a high-damage Warframe perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun-play" thing has been left entirely behind in favor of group buffs and mediocrity he feels like a skeleton of the character he was before he had a working Shock.

The point is that he's been nerfed, and nerfed badly.

Edited by Cytobel

Alright so...

Shock, never used it pre-buff, still have no intention of using it. Sounds like it works like it should and is decent now, though, so yay. Still doesn't justify the mod slot, but then, it's a 1 that isn't Sonic Boom (or tesla, mind control, slash dash, etc), so, tbh, that's expected. It isn't abject terrible now, though, which is important.

Speed, firstly, I need to correct some misinformation in this thread.

Speed costs 25 energy base to use (17.5 with maxed Streamline). The 50 that pops up is warframe exp for using the ability.

Now that that's out of the way... holy hell I love this (minus the fact that you can't disable the fov change now). People saying they couldn't feel/see the melee speed difference didn't try using it with a Scindo (was ranking it at the time... should be illegal with how fast the thing is heaved around now lol). People saying he's too squishy for melee don't run Redirection, don't have a sentinel (specifically, Shade, as Ghost lets you stop to regen shields), or forget to run a Cold mod on their melee, and aren't using it with normals (which stunlock) on weapons with multihit normals. And people saying the buff is useless are the same idiots I see in infested defense that never use their melee. Yeah, Toxics are scary, but the movement speed buff is still sufficient to skirt them if you're careful (slash know what you're doing; I took a random pug Xini to wave 30 today (Shee/Ember/Saryn/Excal) with my charged orthos as my only armor-ignoring damage (I was the Shee)). Now we just need the normals buff and everyone will be like "Holy S#&$ I love Speed!".

However, I do agree that this change makes Volt a little slower. Not really an issue imo (I know how to use slides and sliding melees to make a Frost keep up with a Loki who doesn't), though I can see it turning into a problem. As always the solution is the Zorencopter, which should be even more insanly fast with the increase aspd. And remember... The Zorencopter does not descriminate frames. It makes Rhino and Ash equally into Sanic. Though now, it (should, haven't done it yet) make Volt into even more of a hedgehog than it does anyone else.

The nice thing is this actually gives him that "alternative to gunplay" thing. He now does Melee really well. And at the very least, it makes leveling those unranked melees a lot less painful- and it might do it better than Contagion (dunno yet; though it did turn that scindo that had a maked fury and an unranked Northern Wind on it into a beast, so probably).

Electric Shield is currently derp'd, awaiting the bugs to be fixed. I personally was completely unable to shoot through it even while hosting (tried both Dera and Twin Vipers). Until then, likely going to put a r1 or r2 Vitality or Marathon in its slot, as it's kinda useless. Also still requires stretch to be useable. Doesn't provide cover for your sentinel (only while crouched) without it.

Overload seems to be a mixture of buffnerfed. On one hand the thing now works like Soundquake in that things can enter the area and get hit still (which is hilarious due to its radius being about five miles with stretch). It also seemed to be oneshotting and still getting kills just fine at Kappa today (I'll check out its performance at Xini tomorrow, as I really am quite curious as to Speed on my Orthos). On the other hand, it still jumps up and screams SHOOT ME for.. now a longer time. I do love the fact that it may as well be map wide (the wave was outranging the damage numbers distance, as I was just suddenly seeing affinity popups) when max-stretched. It also seemed to be stunning Grineer now, which was quite nice.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Things that need changing:

Shock:Damage buff or just make electricity equal to fire, poison, and ice as Shock does nothing to Grineer or Infested.

Speed:Bring back Electric Sanic and make our teammates fast but not as fast as Volt to balance the skill. Keep the melee speed buff

E.Shield:Bugged-Cant shoot through it at all. Needs to be effected by mods in order to make it bigger or at least make it move with Volt. Stationary is a word that blows up when it comes near the word Warframe.

Overload:Pretty damn fine. Can kill level 50 Grineer and worked great against trash mobs and did some damage to ancients (tested on Xini up to wave 20. Feel free to post what damage it does at higher waves or T3 exterminations and I will edit) Just needs that animation thing shortened or make Volt invincible during his uber like Frost or Ash.

Overall it was a good try with some good ideas, but there are still alot of things to work on as you can see. I made this list as a sort of compilation of what was said throught this thread. I'll add different things if people ask.

Edited by Solaurus

Ah, so he should be useless at least 66% of the time.  Hmmm, why didn't the rest of us see that before now?  Lolz.

Sarcasm aside, you're probably correct at the present.  Using him against non-Corpus is suicidal.  Then again, I don't remember him baing billed as a failure against everything that isn't robotic.  What I'm trying to say is that no Warframe should be utter crap against most of the enemies, and God vs the remainder.  That spells bad balance and a broken character option.

P.S. any character that can be screwed by a random enemy-type shift in a level is not playable.  And it isn't as if Frost suffers the same drawbacks.  Or Saryn.  Or even Ember, for christ's sake.  Just Volt.  The others can adapt to multiple enemy types.  Volt can't.  "Stick to Corpus or don't play if he's your only 'Frame" isn't the answer, it's just a symptom of his problems.

If you couldn't tell, this is irratating me far more than it should.  It's just another stupid game, after all is said and done.

This so called balance that everyone seems so concerned with is the worst thing any dev could ever do to their game. WoW started down the path of balance and now you can't tell a rouge from a mage. That's just boring. I *love* that Volt is so specific, the more specialized we can make our classes the more reason there is to be a certain class. I'm not mad Volt can't fight Infested, I'm mad we don't have a frame that gets a huge damge bonus against the Grineer. And even as the most specialized Frame in the game not even Volt is screwed by a random Facton change, he still has two guns and a sword that work just fine on all three Factions.

More specialization = more reason to play more Frames

Just tried out the changes.

Shock: good changes, imo the power still isn't good enough to justify sinking points into.

Shield: You can no longer fire though it, so now its even more underpowered than it was before.

Speed: Good changes in theory but I think the speed addition should be higher. Also, the speed seems not to affect regular run speed, it only seems to affect sprinting. this may be a bug.

Overload: I like the changes but the animation is way way way too long. I spend a good 5 seconds unable to move and hanging in midair after everything is dead. If anything is left alive it has 5 seconds to kill me before I finish casting.

OverLoad still needs buff.

Invincibility while casting

100% Stun protection while casting

100% Knock back resistance while casting.

These are must. Most of the time i end up doing it again (fail animation) and getting myself killed.

Also, since its *OVERLOAD* i dont want some melee noob enemy killing me by meeleing. So any enemy who touches Volt must either die instantly or get a huge damage or get stunned , if the volt is casting OverLoad !

Speed costs 25 energy base to use (17.5 with maxed Streamline). The 50 that pops up is warframe exp for using the ability.

Correct.  I keep mixing up the price with other moves.  I keep spacing on that.

Overload: I like the changes but the animation is way way way too long. I spend a good 5 seconds unable to move and hanging in midair after everything is dead. If anything is left alive it has 5 seconds to kill me before I finish casting.

That's the one thing I hate about Overload.  If something survives - and it is normally the bigger, tougher, harder-hitting mobs - I am a sitting duck tenno.  I can't move, can't cancel the attack, can't fire back.  Several times, I have gone from full health and shields (both heavily modded) to dead all whilst watching helplessly, unable to do anything about it.

Maybe this will improve a bit, now that new mobs entering the area will get hit.  If not, maybe we could get a damage reduction on Volt when he is using Overload. 

Not too crazy about the Speed rework. I'll play with it a bit before I decide to hate it, but I liked being able to run the Orokin Tower look dungeons by myself so no one else potentially dies to the laser floors. With the lag and the slick floors that the dungeons make, having a team mate run it with me has cost our group several Revives.

Wow! Mr Miserable! You judging the skill purely on one situation, and then assuming that other people can't 'handle' the speed. I think your problem may be with the other players and not the skill.

Anyway, back OT, I really like the group speed buff, makes for some really fun runs, especially funny to see rhino getting around so quickly :)