Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 8.3: Feedback Thread

[DE]Rebecca

Fix the Overload's animation, it's way too long, being a sitting duck for 5 seconds gets you killed instantly on higher levels.

Make the energy color change all the particles, not only the first bolt in Shock for example.

This. And make the electricity from overload the energy colour too.

The animation is FAR too long for sure. I just hang there like a dope and nothing dies and nothing bursts. 

Also for some reason overload doesn't always kill everything. It'd be nice if a distinct electrical charge was applied to enemies you hit so you knew which ones were actually damaged.

Shock: I love the new chaining, but it seems to not want to chain on infested which makes me sad since I was really hopingThere's also a power in use bug on this ability.

Speed: I like the team buff, but Volt can now get left in the dust.Increasing his speed to 1.2x might help with that.

Shield: I really hope blocking my own projectiles is just a bugPersonally I'd like to see shield moved to a gunslinger frame.

Overload: animation is way too long.

,I like the changes, it just needs some polish and bug fixing. I love where shock is going though.

True, unless you're not using normal swing.  I run Gram and ground slam or slide slash much more than I swing normally.

Or we do, and we still notice the squishy.  Especially when we get those wonderful moments (now thankfully more rare) of stun lock, or we get zerg'd by Toxics (also rare, but seems to be more common on alerts).  With a full team this isn't a problem really, but when you're running short or solo-ing it makes a big difference.  Armor nerf is probably from sometime in Update 7, as I noticed some problems there.

Or not, and we know better than to try zapping the Infested with our skills.  I'd rather use a shotgun/melee combo vs Infested, and if not the Gram then I too love the Orthos against them.  This may sound weird, but the "buff" is useless, and I do melee quite a bit.  I don't try to use normal swings on groops, and neither ground slam nor sliding slash seem to get anything from this.  This makes the move a reduced power Speed with area effect.  That means it's cute, but not as useful as an unranked Mk.I Braton.  Those actually kill things.

Not a noticable improvement when he loses armor and his Uber.  If the Wiki is correct on the armor, and the current duration of Overload stays, then he's worse off before they "fixed" him.  Gaining base attack speed isn't a bad thing at all, but when it's so short it isn't worth the price.

Also, I haven't graded him in team fights, where others can carry him.  I've graded his performance in solo play, and he's sorely lacking there.  But as multiplayer has come up, I now get to point that being stationary for about 6-7 seconds is a great way to lose track of teammates.  Sure, you can pop your speed, but a Loki can actually outpace that with rush and slide-jumping now (especially since you just buffed his speed).  Not to mention that you're now running the risk of unintentionally (or intentionally) disorienting someone when they're making a jump, leading to a death loop a la old Switch Teleport.  Not that random team play ever leads to griefers.

Please don't ever do that breakup-quote bullS#&$. It makes it very, very easy to take things out of context. In this case you (mostly) didn't, but it's still VERY easy to do.

Firstly, this coupled with the impending Normals buff will be very, very strong. Currently you do jumps for huge AoE, slides and charges for damage, and normals for stunlock. The normals speed buff, once Normals have better damage against things they don't have an x3 multiplier against, will be very significant and you will probably use them more. Personally with the gram, I like the normals way more than the slide. Only the zorencopter and Orthos have really good slides imo :/ Everything else either needs more aoe or needs to be faster. Which is what Speed does- it makes it faster. It also makes it way easier to stunlock things with your normals.

Maybe I'm just better at it than all ya'll, as until I got my Banshee, Volt was literally all I played, and I always felt like a tank. 150 base shields with redirection is a HUGE amount of shields, and vs Infested you just straight up shouldn't be getting hit. As to the stunlock, this is where the Shade comes in. You get staggered for a bit, Shade Ghosts you, you're now basically safe. And with Volt's gigantic shield score, you shouldn't even take health damage until you're going past wave 30 vs Infested (as my banshee's 580 was plenty at round 30 for this purpose). But then I was soloing T3 void no problem before I even got Barrel Diffusion, so idk.

Alright your opinion... but then you don't use normals, whereas I do. Just wait for the normals damage buff, then you'll be thankful they gave him this, because you'll start actually using them. Until around wave 11+ Xini/Palus (16+ or later at Vaelfor), normals on a propperly modded heavy melee are incredibly powerful for clearing chargers/runners/leapers and keeping Ancients at bay. This just makes them even better with less mods (and even stronger with). And imo if you *aren't* using the normals on Gram, you're using the weapon wrong. The aoe bursts on its normals are just too good to pass up. Also, slide-slash DEFINITELY gets something from this, as I was noticing a massive increase on the Scindo. The slower the weapon is, the more noticeable the difference will be- and it was still a pretty big difference on my max-fury Orthos, too.

No armor? Why are you even taking health damage when it's not from a toxic ancient? Short? it lasts like 10 seconds (without Continuity, which will bring it up to nearly 15 assuming they fixed the issue with Continuity not scaling it)... which is an age in a game this fast-paced. For only 17.5 energy (Streamline'd), it's actually quite worth it. Two Energy Siphons and that'll be 2.5 seconds till you can use it again (Continuity'd) assuming no energy pickups and no energy going in. One energy siphon was plenty to keep it up during a Xini solo. I only went to wave 5 due to not having my 150-watt charger (90 watt portable, 150 watt home) with me right now, but energy consumption was not a problem. This gives him something to do with energy in Infested missions, and it's something really really good. Since without this I've solo'd to 10 before- and this will make the solo *easier*- it's nice.

My only complaints are that

1) You can't get rid of the FoV change on Speed any more (used to be disabled by turning off the DoF (or whatever) option under graphics)

2) they glitched Electric Shield hard to where there's no real point in even slotting it any more (temporarily a r2 Marathon lol)

3) They still didn't make Overload useable vs Infested (unlike Ember, who is another elemental frame but is good against Corpus AND Infested). They added the zap stun effect to Overload, which has an obscenely huge radius with Stretch to where I feel all they need to do is get the self-CC duration to match the zapping duration and it's fine- that's more likely a bug than intended. Note that I still haven't tried it on Corpus yet, so if it's still obscene against them I guess that's fair (since Ember's stuff is only "good" against Infested, not "where did everything go?") since Speed now is good vs Infested. Not the direction I wanted for the ability, but still a buff it can use (once the animation timer is fixed, I mean).

The biggest issue here is that even if Volt were to receive the most ideal ability rework, (Shock stunning in addition to its current form, speed working as it used to plus the team benefits, electric shield back to normal, plus a little bit of size increase, and overload back to the way it was plus the new damage system,) it would still be behind in the later levels. At best, it'd end up in Rhino's position as an absolute powerhouse with not that much in the way of utility going, which would still put him leagues behind Saryn, Frost, and Vauban as the ideal frames.

I could deal with Volt having 3 mediocre skills because Speed was THE COOLEST SKILL IN-GAME TO USE so please, I don't care if you need to take off the aoe buff, the melee speed off, whatever.

Just make him run as fast as he did before with speed.

Edited by Tdown

shock: really like the change

Speed: i think this change is pretty good. it's more utility now, love the melee speed buff.

shield: i just want it to work right otherwise it's great

overload: glad to hear it's being fixed. i currently notice i stay cruxified for a full 5 seconds or so. seems really long, is that the new duration of the ability or just a lingering animation? i haven't been able to see which.

TL;DR = Good job DE and scott. you're on the right track.

Edited by Jaxomfaux

If the overload animation is going to be that long, let over load hit everything in range. Should not see Grineer running around those that are being hit and make the aoe bigger and Overload stronger. And shock doesn't always chain to everything and is still weak. Volts default speed needs a major buff. he is one of the slowest warframes especially now that speed is now slow.

Ah, but not so, because his skills offer "a potent alternative to gunplay".  *rolls eyes until they nearly fall out of head*

I'm objecting to his weakness.  I think he needs to have his specialty, just as Ember does, but he isn't as potent as he was pre-8.3 vs Corpus, let alone the other factions. 

Not tring to start a piss fight, you've got some good points, but I'm going to dissagree with you here. I don't want to use the dreded word 'balance' but I am going to say his weakness keeps him from being OP. Volt is a highly specialized tool to be used in certain cIrcumstances, and now that he's not one of the starter Frames, no one has any right to complain if they brought the Corpus killer to an Infested mission.

I think of the Frames and their abilities as just another gear choice. People saying he's to weak against the Infested and Grineer are like people saying the Lex doesn't shoot fast enough to stop an Infested rush.

Volt Shield is completely and utterly broken now.  I strongly recommend rolling back all changes done to it.  Derra no longer does hitscan damage, or shoot through it at all.  Also discovered that Lanka would not shoot through it.  Volt Shield was his only useful ability, and made him half-viable.  The other buffs would have been nice if they didn't pale to this Mega Nerf.

Volts ability to speed up teammates is pretty sweet. Couple of bugs with it though.

When it was used on us (me at least, don't know if the rest of the team had the same problem) I couldn't use my powers. Kept saying powers in use. This lasted for the rest of the mission.

Also the FOV change stayed on my screen for the rest of the mission as well.

Oh, and there's this:

http://imgur.com/a/He4j0

Loki teammate had to keep pulling me down with switch teleport so I could get through the door.

Off topic here but how does one post an image on this forum? Do you have to be a certain rank or something? I've seen others do it.

Edited by jibbahjabbah

Please don't ever do that breakup-quote bullS#&$. It makes it very, very easy to take things out of context. In this case you (mostly) didn't, but it's still VERY easy to do.

Firstly, this coupled with the impending Normals buff will be very, very strong. Currently you do jumps for huge AoE, slides and charges for damage, and normals for stunlock. The normals speed buff, once Normals have better damage against things they don't have an x3 multiplier against, will be very significant and you will probably use them more. Personally with the gram, I like the normals way more than the slide. Only the zorencopter and Orthos have really good slides imo :/ Everything else either needs more aoe or needs to be faster. Which is what Speed does- it makes it faster. It also makes it way easier to stunlock things with your normals.

Maybe I'm just better at it than all ya'll, as until I got my Banshee, Volt was literally all I played, and I always felt like a tank. 150 base shields with redirection is a HUGE amount of shields, and vs Infested you just straight up shouldn't be getting hit. As to the stunlock, this is where the Shade comes in. You get staggered for a bit, Shade Ghosts you, you're now basically safe. And with Volt's gigantic shield score, you shouldn't even take health damage until you're going past wave 30 vs Infested (as my banshee's 580 was plenty at round 30 for this purpose). But then I was soloing T3 void no problem before I even got Barrel Diffusion, so idk.

Alright your opinion... but then you don't use normals, whereas I do. Just wait for the normals damage buff, then you'll be thankful they gave him this, because you'll start actually using them. Until around wave 11+ Xini/Palus (16+ or later at Vaelfor), normals on a propperly modded heavy melee are incredibly powerful for clearing chargers/runners/leapers and keeping Ancients at bay. This just makes them even better with less mods (and even stronger with). And imo if you *aren't* using the normals on Gram, you're using the weapon wrong. The aoe bursts on its normals are just too good to pass up. Also, slide-slash DEFINITELY gets something from this, as I was noticing a massive increase on the Scindo. The slower the weapon is, the more noticeable the difference will be- and it was still a pretty big difference on my max-fury Orthos, too.

No armor? Why are you even taking health damage when it's not from a toxic ancient? Short? it lasts like 10 seconds (without Continuity, which will bring it up to nearly 15 assuming they fixed the issue with Continuity not scaling it)... which is an age in a game this fast-paced. For only 17.5 energy (Streamline'd), it's actually quite worth it. Two Energy Siphons and that'll be 2.5 seconds till you can use it again (Continuity'd) assuming no energy pickups and no energy going in. One energy siphon was plenty to keep it up during a Xini solo. I only went to wave 5 due to not having my 150-watt charger (90 watt portable, 150 watt home) with me right now, but energy consumption was not a problem. This gives him something to do with energy in Infested missions, and it's something really really good. Since without this I've solo'd to 10 before- and this will make the solo *easier*- it's nice.

1) You can't get rid of the FoV change on Speed any more (used to be disabled by turning off the DoF (or whatever) option under graphics)

2) they glitched Electric Shield hard to where there's no real point in even slotting it any more (temporarily a r2 Marathon lol)

3) They still didn't make Overload useable vs Infested (unlike Ember, who is another elemental frame but is good against Corpus AND Infested). They added the zap stun effect to Overload, which has an obscenely huge radius with Stretch to where I feel all they need to do is get the self-CC duration to match the zapping duration and it's fine- that's more likely a bug than intended. Note that I still haven't tried it on Corpus yet, so if it's still obscene against them I guess that's fair (since Ember's stuff is only "good" against Infested, not "where did everything go?") since Speed now is good vs Infested. Not the direction I wanted for the ability, but still a buff it can use (once the animation timer is fixed, I mean).

You are extrapolation regarding to how melee will work. Keep that argument until the changes come. What you like to use (normal attacks) vs what is optimal and efficient is different. Normal attacks are terrible, period. Multiplying usefulness of something that is useless is still useless...

Volt is tanky with his shield absolutely, but not if he's going for constant melee. Even at 1000 shields that I have if I go melee lv 100 enemies it won't last me long. It will do fine until my sent wears off then it gets piss.

Speed is bugged, I didn't check the last hotfix. The duration did not scale properly with level. My lv 3 speed lasts 5 seconds. Regardless current speed it a complete nerf over what it used to be. There are plenty of arguments in this thread that pointed out why, read through it if you want.

Volt is significantly worse than how he was. Only improvement is shock, which is again still useless outside of corpus.

You can say all you want I can play better than you. That isn't the point. Point is where Volt stands opposed to other frames. Saryn will melt the face off anything you throw at her, using melee, her ult or her 1. She also has distraction utility, helmet that gives her faster than base speed, 150 base health AND 100 armor. Compared to that Volt is incredibly underwhelming. But hey, Saryn is among top tier frames so ok, compare it to something in mid range like Excalibur, Ash or Loki and you will still lose out in both damage and utility.

Ugh, I used to main Volt for all purposes, because it had a high shield pool, two great utility skills, shield AND speed, and a reliable and very mobile ultimate.

These changes took away the reasons why I enjoyed Volt in the first place. Sure, more damage to the ultimate is nice for endless defense, but If i wanted to deal damage while I was stuck in place I'd have chosen Banshee a long time ago, or hell, Saryn since she just frontloads damage and gets the job done instantly. The Speed change, while nice since it affects other people, reduced my overall max speed, or at least feels like it did. More on this in a second. The shield I understand its a bug, so not gonna touch on this subject.

Speed, imho, was first and foremost the best skill in the frame. I used it to catch up with people, I used it to traverse a level faster when soloing, but above all else, Speed was a great asset for Void missions and overall wall running. Speed increased the height you could wall run, the distance and helped a great deal with timed traps. It was cheap, it was reliable, it expanded greatly the gameplay feel of Volt. It was always in my mind that I could always extend my mobility by pressing that button. Sure, group buff and attack speed is nice, but reduced max speed compared to the old one leaves a really sour after taste.

So... I don't know, from someone that has played Volt as a main for the past 4 months, I'm considering using Excalibur or Loki now. Take it for what its worth.

I tried Volt some more.

Shock is weak, and the stun only seems to trigger when it does a certain amount of damage. A guaranteed stun would make it viable at all levels of play. It's never going to compete with Overload for damage efficiency, so it may as well fill another niche, i.e. disabling targets. A lot of 25 energy powers seem to be about disabling high-priority targets, so I think this would be fitting.

Speed is a power I've changed my mind on, I do not like it. The melee speed increase is nearly worthless (esp. on Volt, a frame built around being at range) and it no longer feels fast. It needs to be faster, and it needs to do something useful. Stunning targets near someone running while under the effect of Speed, for example, since Volt could use melee defense.

Electric Shield has always been bad. Can the devs not tell how bad this is to let it go unchanged? Almost no coverage, does screwy things to friendly attacks, and is junk against infested/melee units in general. It should leave friendly attacks alone, stun, block, and/or damage nearby enemies, and have at least twice the surface area. I can understand the intent behind giving friendly attacks a damage boost, but it's too unreliable and electricity is the least reliable element, it only works well against Corpus.

Overload is okay, I guess. I was hoping the rework was going to get rid of the generic "AOE with element" attacks. Maybe replace it with a stun fields, or a really strong forward firing electric blast, or temporary quad damage, or *something*. If Shock as it is now doesn't work well against a given enemy, neither will Overload, and that's half of Volt's powers.

Shock needs 100% stun and more damage or some stun and a lot more damage.

Swing speed buff needs to be faster. It should be another max fury swinging heavy weapons for example a lot faster. With fast legs comes fast arms. it all makes sense. Just look at the Flash

Shock needs 100% stun and more damage or some stun and a lot more damage.

Swing speed buff needs to be faster. It should be another max fury swinging heavy weapons for example a lot faster. With fast legs comes fast arms. it all makes sense. Just look at the Flash

+1

Sorry about breaking things up.  Wasn't trying to be a $&*^, just trying to take points on as I saw them.

I think my main issue is one of play style.  We can butt heads all day over right and wrong when we aren't even thinking of the same tactics or loadouts.  Hell, I'm still recovering from the reset I probably shouldn't have done, and I havent seen a single Focus nor Continuity drop in months.  Basically, I'm out necessary mods to run the 'Frame at full efficiency, but I've been playing him anyway because I'm stubborn like that.

I just don't like the new Speed.  I thought the old one could've been replaced by a base frame speed upgrade and just about any generic electric move you care to name, and the new iteneration doesn't fix anything.  It doesn't feel Volty, you know?  In the same vein, the whole Electric Shield thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I used the heck outta that move to tank bosses and Stalkers, but it isn't the sort of quick aggro move the Warframe seems to want to have, if that makes any sence.  Even before it glitched out to uselessness, I'd've recommended pulling it in favor of something more...  zappy, maybe?  I don't know.