Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt 8.3: Feedback Thread

[DE]Rebecca

I just used the new Volt to farm a Control Module and when I was shooting at Hyena through the Shield with my Hek, I didn't make any damage. What's up with that? I thought the Shield stayed untouched!?

Shock is way better, but not good enough to waste a mod slot on it.

The group buff of Speed is cool, but useless when playing Solo and slower now.

Higher damage for Overload was really needed (on Jupiter and Neptune it did not matter though), but while using it I felt a little stuck in it, used to let go much sooner and still did damage, ergo I don't like to use it while speedrunning anymore.

Overall I would rather have the old Volt back, it used to be my Solo-rare-material-farm-Warframe. (Probably need to switch back to Banshee...)

I were excited about the upcoming changes. Now I should change my avatar. :(

The speed change makes it very situational as it only increases the group's sprinting speed and melee speed.

It would be nice if it also reduced the reloading time for weapons and possibly the rate of fire on some weapons.

This way the ability is more versatile in any combat and is a useful group ability.

Now that that's out of the way... holy hell I love this (minus the fact that you can't disable the fov change now). People saying they couldn't feel/see the melee speed difference didn't try using it with a Scindo (was ranking it at the time... should be illegal with how fast the thing is heaved around now lol).

True, unless you're not using normal swing.  I run Gram and ground slam or slide slash much more than I swing normally.

People saying he's too squishy for melee don't run Redirection, don't have a sentinel (specifically, Shade, as Ghost lets you stop to regen shields), or forget to run a Cold mod on their melee, and aren't using it with normals (which stunlock) on weapons with multihit normals.

Or we do, and we still notice the squishy.  Especially when we get those wonderful moments (now thankfully more rare) of stun lock, or we get zerg'd by Toxics (also rare, but seems to be more common on alerts).  With a full team this isn't a problem really, but when you're running short or solo-ing it makes a big difference.  Armor nerf is probably from sometime in Update 7, as I noticed some problems there.

And people saying the buff is useless are the same idiots I see in infested defense that never use their melee.

Or not, and we know better than to try zapping the Infested with our skills.  I'd rather use a shotgun/melee combo vs Infested, and if not the Gram then I too love the Orthos against them.  This may sound weird, but the "buff" is useless, and I do melee quite a bit.  I don't try to use normal swings on groops, and neither ground slam nor sliding slash seem to get anything from this.  This makes the move a reduced power Speed with area effect.  That means it's cute, but not as useful as an unranked Mk.I Braton.  Those actually kill things.

The nice thing is this actually gives him that "alternative to gunplay" thing. He now does Melee really well.

Not a noticable improvement when he loses armor and his Uber.  If the Wiki is correct on the armor, and the current duration of Overload stays, then he's worse off before they "fixed" him.  Gaining base attack speed isn't a bad thing at all, but when it's so short it isn't worth the price.

Also, I haven't graded him in team fights, where others can carry him.  I've graded his performance in solo play, and he's sorely lacking there.  But as multiplayer has come up, I now get to point that being stationary for about 6-7 seconds is a great way to lose track of teammates.  Sure, you can pop your speed, but a Loki can actually outpace that with rush and slide-jumping now (especially since you just buffed his speed).  Not to mention that you're now running the risk of unintentionally (or intentionally) disorienting someone when they're making a jump, leading to a death loop a la old Switch Teleport.  Not that random team play ever leads to griefers.

Tested Overload (with Focus/Stretch) on Outer Terminus. Seems to be viable until Wave 20 or so. Basically destroys everything Corpus (not including Techs) at Level 80ish or below. Thereafter needs upwards of 2 consecutive blasts to be useful.

This so called balance that everyone seems so concerned with is the worst thing any dev could ever do to their game. WoW started down the path of balance and now you can't tell a rouge from a mage. That's just boring. I *love* that Volt is so specific, the more specialized we can make our classes the more reason there is to be a certain class. I'm not mad Volt can't fight Infested, I'm mad we don't have a frame that gets a huge damge bonus against the Grineer. And even as the most specialized Frame in the game not even Volt is screwed by a random Facton change, he still has two guns and a sword that work just fine on all three Factions.

More specialization = more reason to play more Frames

Ah, but not so, because his skills offer "a potent alternative to gunplay".  *rolls eyes until they nearly fall out of head*

Good point about the whole balance to blandness thing though.  My issue is that I don't feel he has the potential of any other 'Frame.  Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.  I'm objecting to his weakness.  I think he needs to have his specialty, just as Ember does, but he isn't as potent as he was pre-8.3 vs Corpus, let alone the other factions. 

I think the porblem is that the 'Frame I loved playing now has 1 skill that feels like it's working correctly, instead of 2.  Electric Shield is still broken.  Shock works.  Speed and Overload don't work.  The current Speed doesn't fit the Volt (not that it's horrible, just bad on him) and Overload now has a drawback that overrules it's potential use.  And why was it changed in the first place?  It already caused lights and electronics to spit residual current at foes for quite some time, and it'd keep going for upwards of 15 seconds in some rooms.  Lets not forget that you managed that without making yourself the biggest target in the whole game, whereas now you'd better hope you can take out everything with it, or else you're pre-packaged with your own coffin.

Did I mention that Overload makes one of the squishiest 'Frames in the game levitate in place for about 6 seconds?  It's kinda hard to overlook the fact that being a stationary object hovering in the air while glowing is as un-Ninja as you can get.  Tack on the fact that you don't seem to get anything from this action (aside from bullet holes) that you got before.  Also, add the factor that the electric damage you're doing isn't stunning or knocking down foes caught in the radius like Sonic Quake does, and then ask a kindly party member to res you before you actually die because by now you're more fill of holes than congress is full of liars.

The ninja comment can be overlooked.  It's not like we go stealthing through any of these missions.  That'd waste valuable mod drop chances.

Sorry for ranting at you like that.  You're definately right about WoW though.  So, yeah.  I don't like it.  Tough titties to me, right?  Buttons 2 and 4 feel broken now, and 2 wasn't so hot to begin with.  Then there's the armor nerf, according to the Wiki, anyhow...

Just working the bitterness of disappointment out via forum post.  I was so happy when I read that Shock had been fixed.  And it does work far better than before, so I guess I'm just put out about Overload; Speed sounded horrible as soon as I read about it.  It doesn't mesh with my play style, and it'll just lead to me messing up other players.

Edited by Cytobel

That's the one thing I hate about Overload.  If something survives - and it is normally the bigger, tougher, harder-hitting mobs - I am a sitting duck tenno.  I can't move, can't cancel the attack, can't fire back.  Several times, I have gone from full health and shields (both heavily modded) to dead all whilst watching helplessly, unable to do anything about it.

Maybe this will improve a bit, now that new mobs entering the area will get hit.  If not, maybe we could get a damage reduction on Volt when he is using Overload.

Yes to the damage reduction.  And/or the cast time getting reduced.  I don't mind if I lose the AoE DoT.  It's not worth dying for, and that's currently what it seems to cost.

Edited by Cytobel

The change done to Shock was good and the one done to Overload was not bad as it compensates de longer time being exposed with a higher damage.

The thing is Speed, when pressing botton 2 it was like its name sayed, The Volt, the fastest frame of all. Now it is passively outrun by the Loki and only slightly faster than the Ash during the 10 seconds that the skill last.

I do agree with the changes, Volt has always been an amazing warframe for me and this hotfix just make him more fun to play in a group mission or an defense. 

But I do experience the same issue with the Shield, kinda makes me wonder for what I can use it currently.

Overload

Not a fan of the new Overload, it feels like banshee's ulti now.

Even after the FX ends, he is still stuck in animation for another 2 secs and just looks broken.

Good thing about the previous Overload was that it dealt decent damage, ended quick, and while electronics were combusting doing additional damage I could be moving through the battlefield.

Speed

Sad that speed % got another huge nerf again.

Summary

Feels more like a nerf than a buff to me.

Edited by chuuburg

Speed: Team radial buff. All Tenno around caster will get speed and melee weapon speed increase (Range(15,20,22,25) Speed(10%,15%,25%,50%) Duration(5,6,8,10))

Scott's comments:

Changing this power made us very nervous! This power has always been great fun but I personally thought it broke the co-op part of the game.  So my first thought was outright removal of it and replace it with something more Volt like. After some back and forth I decided that the best course of action was to take this fun power and give it a group benefit. So now this power is a radial buff to all Warframes close to Volt when he casts it.  I had to reduce the overall speed boost it gives players, as it was too overpowered as a group buff. So to compensate for the loss of movement speed, I added a melee speed increase as well. I want to promote this power as something you use in combat and not something you use to avoid combat.

DEScott, I believe you used good logic to come to the wrong answer.  You have excellent points, but I don't think team-buffing is the right path for Volt.  A high damage Warframe probably isn't the right platform for that kind of synergy-based gameplay, and while the melee attack speed buff is good, loss of top speed on an already slow squishy 'Frame is very, very bad.

I assume that Volt shouldn't be stationary for nearly as long as he is during Overload, but that could be fixed with damage mitigation during casting, or a shorter casting period. 

As things now stand, the only ability that feels right to me is Shock, and this leaves us with 1 move out of 4.  The Shield works when it is working, but when it blocks my shots it's neither viable nor tolerable.  The Volt of 8.3 doesn't feel as solid as he was in 7, but that's the nature of game evolution.  Two steps forward, 1d6 steps back, and the fans vote you a random number of steps sideways, right?

On that note, goodnight all.

Edited by Cytobel

i get the logic but this made my volt feel more nerfed than buffed.

1)shock

with shock, i cant complain, exellent work, the ability is far more usefull.

2)speed

auch. really, really auch. volt isnt the fastest one around, and with its previous speed it still can be aught up to by for example excalibur. with this buff i find my volt all the way at the back of teams, unless i puch some sprint mods in there, wich doesnt compliment the volt play i am used to.

i get the co-op spirit tried to introduce and the damage buff, but honestly, this isnt really of much use when u are not easily around the battlefield. the previous speed was nice because in defense missions i could speed to fallen comrades and try to revive them quick. thats now no longer a possibility.

3)shield

shield always was a decent mod. usable in quite some circumstances, still is.

4) overload

ehh, this is partially good, partially not.

i personally feel volt remains in the air for FAR too long.

the previous overload felt better. wilst indeed, its more bansheelike now, and he deals several waves of damage,

without special effects itt looks liek volt is bugged. and even then, you are an easy target to whatever long range stuff is around. please give me back the old overload, it dealt enough damage, and isf there were lights around dealt more damage later on, that felt a lot better.

Edited by curaxu

The changes are a welcome step in the ongoing nature of game development. Giving Rhino and Volt team buffs was a pretty nice touch in my estimation. I tend to run with a buddy that plays a Rhino, so I can help him keep up now (and he can buff my damage!).

I'm still of the opinion that the shield is not the correct ability for Volt for two reasons:

1) It's still buggy -- can't shoot through it half the time.

2) It doesn't fit his description as an offensive spell caster. The premise of the shield is good -- utility. However in practice, it doesn't feel right. IMHO Volt would feel better if the shield was replaced with an aura of some kind -- perhaps an aura that zaps enemies in melee range.

Still, I'm very grateful that you guys are taking a look at stuff. Thanks for your work. Looking forward to the future.

Edited by Reichmar

Yeah I'm just here to agree with most people:

Shock: is awesome now

Speed: it's kind of ok.. but I did like running super fast.

electric shield: PLEASE let blocking all your own bullets be a bug and not a new feature

Overload: Animation takes forever and ever. I could be ok with this... but then it needs inivincibility or something. Also some added effects would be nice.

Edited by Tessai117

Yeah I'm just here to agree with most people:

Shock: is awesome now

Speed: it's kind of ok.. but I did like running super fast.

electric shield: PLEASE let blocking all your own bullets be a bug and not a new feature

Overload: Animation takes forever and ever. I could be ok with this... but then it needs inivincibility or something. Also some added effects would be nice.

iirc, wasn't the point of Electric Shield to block enemy bullets and give yours some extra oomph as they go through?

Edited by correcthorse

Now that Shock is a large AoE, it seems like it might overlap with Overload too much. Maybe instead of dealing damage directly, during the time you are floating in the air you can't use weapons, but you can cast all your other powers for free. Lets you make shields if you are being shot at and throw lightning around indiscriminately. Activating Speed could end it prematurely so you can zip away after you've killed everything or if you're being swarmed with infested.

Now that Shock is a large AoE, it seems like it might overlap with Overload too much. Maybe instead of dealing damage directly, during the time you are floating in the air you can't use weapons, but you can cast all your other powers for free. Lets you make shields if you are being shot at and throw lightning around indiscriminately. Activating Speed could end it prematurely so you can zip away after you've killed everything or if you're being swarmed with infested.

There isn't much overlap with Shock. Shock bounces 3 times and does middling damage, doesn't even really stun.

Overload still hits lots of enemies at fairly long ranges. Despite bugs it remains the trash mob clear button... which is what makes it dangerous in its current bugged form with super long and vulnerable hang time.

If the Volt dropped after the first electric wave was done it would work. Basically making the zone charge to do damage.

Ran a quick t3 void solo on mag rhino and Volt..

Shock chain seems nice, but the damage is perhaps a touch low?

Speed was fun, sprinting into melee and going Hammer mad, fun along side a rhino

Died once behind volts shield??? and supra still can't shoot through it, seems to nerf acrid damage.

Died twice in the Volt overload casting animation.. from about 90% shields to dead... just stuck hanging in mid air getting hammered.

didn't seem to kill anything using overload?

Edited by Tatersail

Just noting that after messing about a bit, I also have issues with the impenetrable shield and hanging out in overload well after the cast is done. Also playing solo all the time the speed change doesn't thrill me personally, but it does make me think the lack of support-type powers overall is something that could do with some improvement.

Actually, given the shield and speed changes, the main thing that might help would be a change to description text from "high damage alternative to gunplay" to something to do with 'combat,' since the latter may be something that's lacking in the overall design of what is billed as a co-op PvE game. Yes, a lot of people will be very cranky with such a philosophical change, but it's possible this is the development intention.

Also, what drew me here was actually an apparently rare shock complaint, namely that like some other abilities it seems to have the annoying tendency to jump directly to a menacing inactive turret in the corner of the room and then stop while ignoring the four enemies standing directly next to the initial target. When it does work, though, it is quite beautiful (assuming one is shooting low-to-mid level corpus that die from the thing). As has cropped up a couple times, if support is the idea then a moderate stun to it would might be useful enough to offset the lowish damage.

Edit: After sitting around shocking grineer for a while I note it does stun them most of the time, though not 100%. In which case I'm pretty fine with it, assuming the <100% thing is a minor glitch (and maybe even if it isn't, need to think on it more). Hindsight, I should have tested it on things other than corpus. Oops.

Edited by Fluffette

Bring the old Shield back, and make Stretch affect its size. Seriously, the shield is now COMPLETELY USELESS.

Fix the Overload's animation, it's way too long, being a sitting duck for 5 seconds gets you killed instantly on higher levels.

Make the energy color change all the particles, not only the first bolt in Shock for example.

If DE does that - Volt will be perfectly fine (and prettier).