Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Operator should be a bit more of a fighter

(PSN)zeratul____12

9 minutes ago, (Xbox One)LAZYNOOB2015 said:

We don't need weapons for him. We need a way to gradually make him more powerful. Like being able to control Corpus bots. Not bosses of course.

That I agree just like we did with the ravenous beast in TWW. a Void blast plus Interaction would allow us to control it.

7 hours ago, Genoscythe said:

Except we made short work of sentients in the second dream. The operators are supposed to have incredible void powers, but can't transform them into certain things though, just release the raw form, a laser ray or a shock wave for example. That's where warframes come in, they allow to transform and form this power into certain effects.

I see focus as a way of the operator to further refine the power and slowly be able to manage it better in a certain way.

While I do agree, allow me to play the devil's advocate for a moment.

If the Tenno are only ever able to release raw energy in their normal operator forms, what is the focus ability we're also able to use? I don't see why I can't fire Zenurik shockwaves as I'm running around, rather than hiding inside of my Warframe to pop out while invincible. If the regular operator can't control their powers beyond the raw laser and blasts that they use, then how are they able to use Focus powers at all? Furthermore, if they are able to use focus powers, why can't they use them when they're just walking around outside of their warframe? Does that focus magically disappear?

Hopefully, this gets addressed in the new focus rework. I don't know, though-we'll see what happens.

Don't think DE is listening... Since pretty much day one the fanbase has been asking for these changes:

1 - A Higher life pool for the operator / maybe some shield so they can take a hit.

2 - A visible energy meter and more energy, so they can chain attacks instead of doing the void blast, void dash combo and being out of energy to use your void laser.

3 - Faster movement speed , sliding and better mobility so that they don't feel like walking at a snail's pace compared to warframes.

4 - Your warframe's energy not being lost upon the operator dying (this they ended up fixing, thankfully, because it made operators near useless).

Right now , Operators are pretty much a novelty you use strictly for kuva farming, and even then, you basically stay in warframe form as long as possible , then switch to operator only to grab the cloud or break a guardian's guard...

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

34 minutes ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Don't think DE is listening... Since pretty much day one the fanbase has been asking for these changes:

1 - A Higher life pool for the operator / maybe some shield so they can take a hit.

2 - A visible energy meter and more energy, so they can chain attacks instead of doing the void blast, void dash combo and being out of energy to use your void laser.

3 - Faster movement speed , sliding and better mobility so that they don't feel like walking at a snail's pace compared to warframes.

4 - Your warframe's energy not being lost upon the operator dying (this they ended up fixing, thankfully, because it made operators near useless).

Right now , Operators are pretty much a novelty you use strictly for kuva farming, and even then, you basically stay in warframe form as long as possible , then switch to operator only to grab the cloud or break a guardian's guard...

1. You can see the energy. That thing in the center of the screen.

2. If energy loss was fixed, why do I still lose energy?

7 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I dunno, we slapped that Nikana out of Teshin's hand, and tried to punch him at one point...  we have that "fighting spirit", it's just that because we're only about 12 years old, we have to use the Warframes to fight, since our attacks wouldn't really do much.

Operator needs some martial arts lessons so he can do some normal human ninja-flips at least and at least defend himself a little better. :) There's RL Ninjas that age and he's mentally experienced all the moves through the Warframes. 

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, Wolfdoggie said:

Operator needs some martial arts lessons so he can do some normal human ninja-flips at least and at least defend himself a little better. :) There's RL Ninjas that age and he's mentally experienced all the moves through the Warframes. 

Reveal hidden contents

Nope. Operators suck, dealwithit.jpg.

They'll suck less in 2018, after DE rework Focus.

35 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Nope. Operators suck, dealwithit.jpg.

They'll suck less in 2018, after DE rework Focus.

I'm 90% certain that's gonna happen sooner than 2018, mate. Care to back that up with a source, or was that meant to be humorous hyperbole?

11 hours ago, (PS4)zeratul____12 said:

By this I mean the operator is weak as hell, true this is because the operator does let the warframes handle the actual fighting but Id be interested in seeing the operator use mods to be a bit better at fighting or even have equipable weapons like a blade, staff or even a small pistol like the lato.  

11 hours ago, Venom-Snake said:

Soontm

Exactly.  That's what I hate about the new operator powers.  The operator is nothing but a new warframe and soon there will be mods, powers, and weapons as a way to add content for something that shouldn't even be in the game.

1 hour ago, Angrados said:

I'm 90% certain that's gonna happen sooner than 2018, mate. Care to back that up with a source, or was that meant to be humorous hyperbole?

It's a sort of joking prediction which will cease to be a joke as soon as it has, sadly, been proven correct. Given how long it took DE to produce the War Within, do you honestly envision the Focus and Operator rework taking less than a full calendar year?

3 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

It's a sort of joking prediction which will cease to be a joke as soon as it has, sadly, been proven correct. Given how long it took DE to produce the War Within, do you honestly envision the Focus and Operator rework taking less than a full calendar year?

That depends n whether or not they tackle another cinematic quest right out of the gate again, or if we'll have a bit of time where they actually go back and start fixing stuff. I can't speak for certain to either, since at the moment there's not much to say regarding it in terms of information. We'll just have to wait and see, as you pointed out, but I doubt it'll be a year. Personal opinion, though, so read that as you will.

The Operators needed Warframes both as tough meat bodies and also as lenses for their power. Their own void abilities lack subtlety. I don't see any reason lore-wise or even gameplay-wise for Operators to ever have more than 100 health, but I can see us potentially getting some defensive operator abilities in future, something like a worse version of either Volt's electric shield or Zephyr's turbulence next time we get stronger.

I'm fairly sure that either next or the cinematic quest after will give us the ability to have our frames remain active (maintaining duration effects and allowing them to fight like a Specter) while we enter Operator mode though. What with the whole "the frames have minds of their own" thing becoming prominent, and it being a logical evolution of the role of Operator mode in the game from a gameplay perspective.

Edited by lodoubt

It may not be much, but I have a sneaking feeling that Operators/Focus will get a HUGE rework at least in the next 6 months. I won't expect another year of waiting until Focus gets updated even in the slightest, because it has not been touched ever since its inception back in early December of last year.

That said, now that they can dedicate some of their time now that the War Within is out for all platforms, just to figure out how to give Operators and their respective discipline of Focus a proper and much needed upgrade. I expect we will see something very soon.

Since nobody uses Focus abilities for their actual powers, but rather the passives exclusively. Warframes do a much better job at everything Focus can do. Focus needs to be special and powerful in its own unique way just as the Operators are. The energy channeled by the Warframes isn't raw Void energy, it's 'focused' into them, and it's far less powerful than the raw and destructive version of it that the Tenno can channel directly. I would really love to see them experiment with new and awesome ways to channel the power of the Void, while also giving the Operators themselves a bit more battle prowess. (not dying in 2 hits, because of 100HP). Defensives would be great, but a bit of that and HP scaling in some why may be necessary.

My vision, although it may be a bit skewed, is Operators and Warframes fighting in battle simultaneously. Like when channeling Transference, your Warframe doesn't just stop moving and stand in one spot. Perhaps an AI of some kind could inhabit the suit while you're 'out', and it can act like a personal Specter of some sort? Running around you, and prioritizing high-damage or heavy units while also providing you with covering fire, or straight up Crowd Control techniques. (There could perhaps be commands you could issue to them, to change their in-battle behaviors and priorities) I don't know, I just think it's a bit of dead weight having to worry about where you activate Transference. But since you won't be in a 100HP punching bag for very long, I guess it isn't that much of an issue at the moment.

Still cool to think about what it could become.
Because Operators, and the Focus school especially, deserve it.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

3 minutes ago, lodoubt said:

The Operators needed Warframes both as tough meat bodies and also as lenses for their power. Their own void abilities lack subtlety. I don't see any reason lore-wise or even gameplay-wise for Operators to ever have more than 100 health, but I can see us potentially getting some defensive operator abilities in future, something like a S#&$tier version of either Volt's electric shield or Zephyr's turbulence next time we get stronger.

I'm fairly sure that either next or the cinematic quest after give us the ability to have our frames remain active (maintaining duration effects and allowing them to fight like a Specter) while we enter Operator mode though. What with the whole "the frames have minds of their own" thing becoming prominent, and it being a logical evolution of the role of Operator mode in the game from a gameplay perspective.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Nice to see that others would like to see Warframes not just sit around in one spot when using Transference. Specter AI would definitely need some tweaking if they went that route however, because in most scenarios they are quite useless. (Never reliably use abilities, run around in circles, shoot at the floor beneath enemies/just miss entirely.) Yeah...

I've known for quite a while actually, that the Warframes are more than what they seem. What that is exactly? Nobody knows for sure.
Doesn't stop my suspicions.

I'm hyped for the next quest. > _ >
When it drops in August of next year.

5 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Nice to see that others would like to see Warframes not just sit around in one spot when using Transference. Specter AI would definitely need some tweaking if they went that route however, because in most scenarios they are quite useless. (Never reliably use abilities, run around in circles, shoot at the floor beneath enemies/just miss entirely.) Yeah...

I'm not even sure that would be necessary. Again as some have stated, the Operator is the strong mental power behind the Warframes. Naturally, relinquishing the Warframe to its own primitive internal intelligence should result in it acting kind of dumb. You just have to set the frame up for success before you leave, make sure all the abilities it needs are already active (Being able to have it start with mods, and all its abilities already active are what would make your own Warframe superior to say, a Specter from a blueprint)

I don't know if you've ever used Equinox's 'Duality' extensively, but it gives you a good idea of how having Warframes abruptly boot into Specter AI would work as it stands since it lets you spawn Specters on demand and see how they respond.

They're very stupid, if you spawn them behind a rock they don't think to check behind it for enemies, etc.

But if you spawn them out in an open space surrounded by enemies, they absolutely go to town and kill *everything*.

You just need to set them up for success, which is where I figure they might fit in Operator mode. They're the distraction. Maybe give Operators reduced threat while their warframe is up and running, etc.

On 14.12.2016 at 9:14 PM, Angrados said:

While I do agree, allow me to play the devil's advocate for a moment.

If the Tenno are only ever able to release raw energy in their normal operator forms, what is the focus ability we're also able to use? I don't see why I can't fire Zenurik shockwaves as I'm running around, rather than hiding inside of my Warframe to pop out while invincible. If the regular operator can't control their powers beyond the raw laser and blasts that they use, then how are they able to use Focus powers at all? Furthermore, if they are able to use focus powers, why can't they use them when they're just walking around outside of their warframe? Does that focus magically disappear?

Hopefully, this gets addressed in the new focus rework. I don't know, though-we'll see what happens.

That's basically what I said in my last phrase, with time and practice comes the refinement of techniques, and I am looking forward to operators being able to use some focus abilities in their physical form.

I don't really enjoy operators so much. Before they were introduced they seemed to be implied to be infested monstrosities inside of the warframes warped by the void that could transfer to different warframes. Then the reveal happened, and they just happened to be kids with super powers, which made me sad. It would have been so much better to play as something like the armorless Rhino prime monster, but nope, immortal kids. And honestly, I rather not have the operators have very much spotlight so the less useful they are the better for me.