The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What mods would you use if the 'mandatory mods' were gone?

Xekrin

In short, what would the 'new meta' be if these mods were removed.  I keep reading Damage 3.0 concepts and although A LOT of people want mandatory mods removed and integrated into the weapon I also see many people say they will just be replaced with a 'new meta'.

So what would it be exactly?  I already replied to one such thread with how Damage mods are probably the only 'mandatory' mods I actually use.  Every other mod varies and differs from build to build.  Sure there are mods that are a must for certain weapons, but I do not see which mods other than damage are integral to EVERY weapon across the board.

Please, someone enlighten me and perhaps the developers as to what would replace base damage and multishot mods if were they removed.  

While I will admit that freeing up 1 to 3 mod slots on every weapon would cause a lot of, let's say, interesting issues; I'm just not sure what mod(s) would fit every build on every weapon that a build would fall apart without it.  There are mods I would like to use for sure but simply do not have the room to do so, just none I can't live without other than damage.

3 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Nothing really because then others turn into mandatory ones.

That is what I'm asking.  What other mods will become mandatory?  Specifically.  Even fire rate isn't needed on every gun. 

2 minutes ago, Extroah said:

If the Base Damage, Crit Chance and Crit Damage Mods were to be included into all Melee Weapons

Not crit mods, just damage on melee.  The base damage mods such as serration, hornet strike etc.. are the 'mandatory' ones.

1 minute ago, Trichouette said:

Punchthrough all the way.

There are a few weapons where punchthrough is either pointless or useless, so even though you'd use it on your chosen loadout, that wouldn't make it mandatory for every weapon.

I use Saryn, my main weapons are mutalist cernos and pox.  Punchthrough makes these weapons ineffective, especially when it causes the arrow to go through the floor.  Staticor is another weapon where I've used punchthrough on it and watched it quickly become annoying.

A mandatory mod is something used on literally every single weapon available to everyone always.  Not just a preferred mod or mods for a few select weapons.

Just now, Xekrin said:

There are a few weapons where punchthrough is either pointless or useless, so even though you'd use it on your chosen loadout, that wouldn't make it mandatory for every weapon.

I use Saryn, my main weapons are mutalist cernos and pox.  Punchthrough makes these weapons ineffective, especially when it causes the arrow to go through the floor.  Staticor is another weapon where I've used punchthrough on it and watched it quickly become annoying.

A mandatory mod is something used on literally every single weapon available to everyone always.  Not just a preferred mod or mods for a few select weapons.

Actually I was just answering to the thread's title.

If I didn't have these useless mandatory mod, I would use punchthrough.

But to answer the thread, the "mandatory mods" would be the elemental ones since all build would have as many of these as possible, simply because they still increase the total damage output (why though...)

7 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

That is what I'm asking.  What other mods will become mandatory?  Specifically.  Even fire rate isn't needed on every gun. 

Shred, speed trigger, primed fast hands... Basically the second thing that helps dps and ups burst damage. In short, status mods/dual status mods, Reload speed and punchthrough.

depends on the weapon really. But removing "Mandatory mods" would end up just making crit weapons even better. As now you would be able to slap on 4 elementals, and your crit mods with room to spare. For non crit weapons you would have no other way of increasing damage so the extra slots would basically be for utility only.

If you are going to remove these mods you would have to change the way element mods add damage (perhaps by making them convert a percentage of damage instead of adding it?) so they don't become mandatory by default. Same with crit chance and damage.

If it were as simple as taking these mods out of the game, DE would have done it already.

I would like to keep the damage mods but with the system what I said. If they removing them maybe I will use fire rate, reload, status duration, special mods with special extras or elemental mods itself. I still saying the removal of damage mods is not solve the problem and who want to play as weak. Those damage numbers any way should be kept if they won't do something with the scaling. 

I will later make a better explanation but I am now at my workplace so can't do further investigation.

41 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Tyreal2012 said:

Id probably add more utility mods for Fire Rate, Reload or Status. I have a need to constantly be reloading so reload speed is key

Personally i see those as mandatory mods, i use them all the time.

The Fantasy that "Mandatory" mods will go away without a severe overhaul is funny.  Because even if they get rid of them there WILL still be those mods that help you preform better in more desired tile-sets even if it is by 10%.  Remove Serration and I'll just put another Elemental mod on.  Remove the Elemental mods and ill use a IPS mod, remove the IPS mods and ill use something to increase status/duration. Effectively I will always search out the best mods for the weapon I like, take away the mods and I'll just search for the best weapon to do the best amount of damage in the shortest amount of time.

Effectively unless they only allow us specific mods on specific weapons (each individual weapon) there will always BE "Mandatory" mods, calling them "Mandatory" really is good wordplay for those that want to get rid of them for their own personal reasons but they aren't Mandatory, they are highly necessary.  There are no missions in warframe that outright will not let you try to join the mission for a lack of having these "Mandatory" mods within your setup.

If your damage/ttk output is not preforming to your desires then yes you have to arrange your mods better.  Does that mean it's bad?  No, unless you are of the same mind that going to a gun range before you go hunting for deer just to make sure your aim is actually passable if you have never shot one before is bad just because it will help you actually learn how to aim/hit. 

Sure i'm comparing a Apple to a Pear right now but they are still fruits, These "Mandatory" mods are "Earned Mods".  These "Mandatory" mods are mods that people took the time, and effort into getting, and in most cases leveling up.  These "Mandatory" mods are as mandatory as going into a high level Raid in some MMORPG and having good gear equipped.

There is nothing wrong with "Mandatory".

Assuming Serration and Co is gone, it would depend on weapon. I'd put Charged Chamber on Vectis, Hammer Shot on crit+status builds, reload speed on everything over 2 sec reload, recoil reduction on weapons like Grakata.

I'd really love mods 3.0 (or would it be 4.0?) which would drop bullS#&$ like Serration.

depends on the weapon, but I think Reload Speed and mag increasing mods would be more viable. in just about every other shooting game I've played, there's no drawbacks to having more bullets on tap. in Warframe, it would mean sacrificing another more useful mod. reloads are also painful on some weapons, anything over 3 seconds is completely unnecessary when a standard human with no powers and only basic training can load a rifle in 2 seconds. meanwhile us magical space ninjas once took SEVEN SECONDS to swap mags on a Supra. thank god that was changed.

seriously, if you have the dexterity to fling Swords around like that, reloads should be no problem.

52 minutes ago, Pie_mastyr said:

But removing "Mandatory mods" would end up just making crit weapons even better. As now you would be able to slap on 4 elementals, and your crit mods with room to spare.

This is the best reason I think that is causing DE to be hesitant about removing mods which are integral to every weapon and every build.  It would essentially cause a power vacuum.  There have been a lot of answers but nothing that remains the same for each.  Everyone would do something different with their newfound freedom.

The real problem would be an excess of space that did not previously exist.  It wouldn't even matter which mods were used to replace the damage mods, there would just be an imbalance that would upset the natural order of things.  Primarily sacrificing one thing for another.

So to clarify, there wouldn't really be a 'new meta' if damage mods were removed but a lack of meta that would be filled with untold possibilities that would potentially cause most weapons to be far more powerful than they already are simply by freeing up a few slots.

43 minutes ago, achromos said:

The Fantasy that "Mandatory" mods will go away without a severe overhaul is funny.

I would happily accept an overhaul to the mod system.  There is no fantasy or delusions here.  You also kind of proved my point though, with extra space to place other mods freely it would upset the balance.  

The answer I was looking for therefore does not exist.  There aren't any new meta mods that would replace the damage mods because everyone would do it differently.  That's all I was looking for really.

31 minutes ago, achromos said:

The Fantasy that "Mandatory" mods will go away without a severe overhaul is funny.  Because even if they get rid of them there WILL still be those mods that help you preform better in more desired tile-sets even if it is by 10%.  Remove Serration and I'll just put another Elemental mod on.  Remove the Elemental mods and ill use a IPS mod, remove the IPS mods and ill use something to increase status/duration. Effectively I will always search out the best mods for the weapon I like, take away the mods and I'll just search for the best weapon to do the best amount of damage in the shortest amount of time.

Effectively unless they only allow us specific mods on specific weapons (each individual weapon) there will always BE "Mandatory" mods, calling them "Mandatory" really is good wordplay for those that want to get rid of them for their own personal reasons but they aren't Mandatory, they are highly necessary.  There are no missions in warframe that outright will not let you try to join the mission for a lack of having these "Mandatory" mods within your setup.

If your damage/ttk output is not preforming to your desires then yes you have to arrange your mods better.  Does that mean it's bad?  No, unless you are of the same mind that going to a gun range before you go hunting for deer just to make sure your aim is actually passable if you have never shot one before is bad just because it will help you actually learn how to aim/hit. 

Sure i'm comparing a Apple to a Pear right now but they are still fruits, These "Mandatory" mods are "Earned Mods".  These "Mandatory" mods are mods that people took the time, and effort into getting, and in most cases leveling up.  These "Mandatory" mods are as mandatory as going into a high level Raid in some MMORPG and having good gear equipped.

There is nothing wrong with "Mandatory".

"Best mods for the weapon I like" changes the setup a lot based on what weapon that actually is. You wouldn't mod, say, the Tekko the same way you'd mod the Mios. While it's true that there will still be a lot of "best" mod arrangements, they'd be based (more) on things that aren't static--weapon stats, enemy defenses, etc. Arguments against Serration and co. aren't founded on the fact that they're the best; it's specifically because they're the best for everything, unilaterally, without requiring any real thought or consideration.

To use your MMO example: It's true that you need good gear to raid, but the definition of "good gear" changes from class to class, because different classes value different stats; thus, while everyone may be operating on the same level in terms of item quality, they're not all showing up wearing the exact same equipment.

That all said, we're in agreement that it'd take a pretty substantial overhaul (and probably a lot of iterating even after that) to solve, and that people have invested a lot in the current versions of the mods in question. The latter part in particular is something DE has said several times that they're aware of, and is likely a big factor in why they haven't made any changes yet.