Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe an RPG?

(XBOX)Fluffy Octopus1

A typical Rpg has you assume the role of a character. As the frame or later the tenno you take control of is a whitewashed blank slate with little character except some preset gestures you basically play the game as yourself. You can try to rp your roll in the world provided if you study up on the material. Yet the game hardly provides in that area at the start. Maybe in the future the the intro might be better set up to flow into the story quests. But as a rpg they are pretty much building it up backwards.

It is a RPG the moment they introduce 2nd dream, War within further explains your operator and lets you "level him up" with more abilities. But as it is self discovery, your rpg progression is backwards until 2nd dream, then war within starts moving things forward.

Edited by fatpig84

Well, depends how you view RPG. For some people, only games like Planescape: Torment are RPGs, for other it stretches to Mass Effect and beyond. Border between RPG and game with RPG elements is very fluid.

Though I think it's about game's focus. In my opinion RPG should focus on character progression (primarily stat-wise) and story. Warframe's focus is grinding for new toys. So it's not RPG. If you call game RPG because it has character progression and story, then half of games out there are RPGs.

7 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Warframe is a game in which you play a role (Tenno), therefore it is a role-playing game (RPG).

To quote Wikipedia...

"A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting."

The problem with that definition is that you could then call literally every game ever a role-playing game. RPG, in the game setting, typically has some rather definitive traits, particularly involving freedom of choice- which I feel is most important. 

Just now, (PS4)rowansprite said:

The problem with that definition is that you could then call literally every game ever a role-playing game. RPG, in the game setting, typically has some rather definitive traits, particularly involving freedom of choice- which I feel is most important. 

That's only because you're choosing to apply further criteria of your own making.

There are plenty of games that clearly aren't RPGs, chess for example.

In any game where you actively control and make decisions for the protagonist, it's difficult to argue that's not a RPG.

Just now, ChuckMaverick said:

That's only because you're choosing to apply further criteria of your own making.

There are plenty of games that clearly aren't RPGs, chess for example.

In any game where you actively control and make decisions for the protagonist, it's difficult to argue that's not a RPG.

Chess is a rare exception. :P

I'm talking about mainstream video games here. How many video games are currently on the market that DON'T have you assume a role? Considering almost every video game is like that, where you assume a role, the term "RPG" becomes less of a genre to me and makes games seem too... dichotomous. Genres should have broad definitions, don't get me wrong, but should be specific enough to classify it more. You don't call all books fiction, for instance. Which is why I personally disagree with that definition of RPG, even though literally speaking it's correct. 

Warframe is a third person co-op action-shooter. With elements of MMO and RPG. 

This is paraphrasing Steve Sinclair's many attempts to loosely define Warframe. 

They (the dev's) have also also said that they don't want to put Warframe in a box. 

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

3 minutes ago, (PS4)rowansprite said:

I'm talking about mainstream video games here. How many video games are currently on the market that DON'T have you assume a role?

Hearthstone? Angry Birds? Candy Crush?

It's very easy to forget that RPGs probably aren't even the majority of the gaming market, especially if that's the genre that you mostly play.

1 minute ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Hearthstone? Angry Birds? Candy Crush?

It's very easy to forget that RPGs probably aren't even the majority of the gaming market, especially if that's the genre that you mostly play.

But they are, though. Outside of mobile games, nearly every game made every year fits the ridiculously broad definition of RPG that Wikipedia lists.

11 minutes ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

But they are, though. Outside of mobile games, nearly every game made every year fits the ridiculously broad definition of RPG that Wikipedia lists.

Well, Hearthstone was originally released on PC, I believe.

There is also Rocket League, the Football Manager series; even on PC/Xbox One/PS4 it's not just RPGs.

If you want to talk about something more specific than playing a role in a game, then you need a term more specific than role-playing game.

I do get what you mean, but once you go beyond the strict literal definition it gets increasingly subjective.

Customizing frames feels very much RPGish. I mean do you want to stack strength at the cost of efficiency and duration? Or want to push up duration at the cost of some range? Or just want to raise all stats evenly across the board? More defensive or offensive? Those kinda things.

Weapons on the otherhand feel like just trying to slot the right combination of mods that'll make it good.

It's kinda all over the place.

2 hours ago, (PS4)rowansprite said:

Chess is a rare exception. :P

I'm talking about mainstream video games here. How many video games are currently on the market that DON'T have you assume a role? Considering almost every video game is like that, where you assume a role, the term "RPG" becomes less of a genre to me and makes games seem too... dichotomous. Genres should have broad definitions, don't get me wrong, but should be specific enough to classify it more. You don't call all books fiction, for instance. Which is why I personally disagree with that definition of RPG, even though literally speaking it's correct. 

There's alot of non RPG games.

Let's start with some familiar one.

CSGO, LoL, Dota, Warcraft multiplayer, Starcraft , FIFA, PES, NBA 2K, Need for Speed, 

And

Tic-Tac-Toe

As for topic, I don't think Warframe is a RPG. It is a simulator game, a farming simulator. Just kidding.

Warframe tends to be a TPS Co-op game with farming element and some leveling system to let you feel the progression. Yes, we play as tenno. But the tenno was only a concept until The Second Dream introduce it with focus system, which I think is what it use for. An explaination to introduce the new system.

When I play Warframe, I don't care a bit about the story behind, I don't know why all weapons cannot be primed, and why Valkyr Prime design brings many discussion. I only care about farming weapons and frames, min-max them, fashionframe. But hey, this is why Warframe being a success co-op games. We're not only offering a Co-op game, we're telling story too, and the enjoyment of farming, except it's not very enjoy. Oh! We also have a special rainy day where you could only found in our Orokin Derelict.

"But you can't just say it's not RPG because you don't care about story!". Well yes, you have the point. Warframe is still technically a RPG game. But it's up to DE decision to make Warframe lead towards to where, since it's still open beta. And up to you to decide whether it's RPG or a farming simulator.

Edited by (PS4)Akabane85