Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia's Anthem is literally just giving you a perk for paying instead of playing

JarkayPahnts45

3 minutes ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

But Bunny, Riven are meant as a tool to re-purpose less-used weapons. Wouldn't having one bundle for a new weapon be contradictory?

People enjoy Rivens on all weapons, weak or strong. It would definitely be a very enticing offer to those who were debating spending the plat, and it's also a bonus that would be more-or-less 'fair' to all players since those Rivens could be acquired naturally in Sorties. 

Besides, there are plenty of newly released weapons that are dead-on-arrival and could use the added help of a Riven immediately.

It definitely wouldn't be the first time that DE has explicitly contradicted design intent - one of the worst examples I can think of is the introduction Power/Cunning Drift after the Exilus slot was stated to be for utility mods only. They completely murdered their own concept, just one update after its introduction.

So, we had the chance to buy Nidus and all the other non-prime frames (those we can trade for). Now, instead of just buying a frame, it also gives you a riven mod for completing (what can probably be beaten in under a hour) quest. Why do people complain about such a thing? Especially in a free-to-play game? Do you not understand how it works?

8 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Besides, there are plenty of newly released weapons that are dead-on-arrival and could use the added help of a Riven immediately.

There is a certain amount of new weapons that could benefit from a riven upon arrival, however the same can be said about weapons that are unexpected powercreeps as soon as they appear, a fine example would be the tonkor, imagine the mess it would've been to have a coupled Riven on it as soon as it got released.

On weaker weapon it'll work as an incentive to use your plat
On powercreeps it'll just be almost mandatory if you don't want to fall behind the new meta since everyone who pays would get one immediately.

Just now, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

There is a certain amount of new weapons that could benefit from a riven upon arrival, however the same can be said about weapons that are unexpected powercreeps as soon as they appear, a fine example would be the tonkor, imagine the mess it would've been to have a coupled Riven on it as soon as it got released.

On weaker weapon it'll work as an incentive to use your plat
On powercreeps it'll just be almost mandatory if you don't want to fall behind the new meta since everyone who pays would get one immediately.

With faint dispositions I'm not sure rivens for op weapons really make that much of a difference. It is more like an optional dual/triple stat mod that you can kind of use for build versatility. 

For example I got a riven for the Hek, and at first I was pretty excited because it had electricity damage, toxin damage and critical chance. But because the disposition was so low, the stats were so weak I'm not really sure it is even worth the slot. 

19 minutes ago, PsiWarp said:

It's just an extra incentive to play the quest. If you already bought Octavia, chances are you won't bother with the quest if lore is not your thing, knowing at the end you'll get a blueprint for a Warframe you already have.

It's not like the Riven is guaranteed to be good either, the RNG is much worse than grinding for bard's parts afterward.

4 minutes ago, Lyravain said:

How about; no. You got it wrong.

Allow me to explain; if you buy a Warframe with a quest behind it and then do the quest, you get nothing. You get absolutely nothing for playing the quest, just a checkmark on your codex, 'congrats, you dun did it'. What they did is; if you pay the plat cost to get Octavia early (which I wouldn't be surprised if it was about 200p considering the cost of the latest Warframes), you'll get a consolation prize worth what, 40p?

So, let me put that in really simple terms; you pay them money, they give you stuff. You don't pay money, you can still earn that stuff (unless for some reason you as well believe that Rivens are inaccessible).

These two Tenno have the right of it; think about it. People who just want to buy the frame now actually have an incentive to play through the quest (which despite the grindy aftermath of Nidus' quest) are actually pretty good, especially from a lore perspective. But, as many people want rewards more than lore, the Pistol Riven is a nice incentive to get them to play some content they may well have otherwise ignored. 

Now, as for the claim of P2W, its a false one, albeit a tricky distinction to make. P2W means that you bypass grind time or get something that nonpaying customers cannot. This specific instance seems to be more of a "pay to change reward" instance. Beyond that, a Warframe costs about 225p and now you've decided to roll the dice and pay that for Octavia and the *chance* that you'll get an passable Riven and not something that boosts fire rate on the Furis.

...And since I'm up on my soapbox right now, can we keep asking for a token system for Sorties?

15 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

People enjoy Rivens on all weapons, weak or strong. It would definitely be a very enticing offer to those who were debating spending the plat, and it's also a bonus that would be more-or-less 'fair' to all players since those Rivens could be acquired naturally in Sorties. 

It definitely wouldn't be the first time that DE has explicitly contradicted design intent - one of the worst examples I can think of is the introduction Power/Cunning Drift after the Exilus slot was stated to be for utility mods only. They completely murdered their own concept, just one update after its introduction.

I completely understand. I couldn't help making a jab at the bipolar intentions of Riven implementation.

My concern with this announcement is that what if I want to craft multiple Octavia? That would mean I have to finish the quest before purchase my copy, which means I am restricted from spending my plat until trudging through the quest. I want more options.  Rescinding my statement as Aiden has clarified with his recent post. You'll get the BP and a Riven if purchased with plat.

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName
update

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

With faint dispositions I'm not sure rivens for op weapons really make that much of a difference. It is more like an optional dual/triple stat mod that you can kind of use for build versatility. 

For example I got a riven for the Hek, and at first I was pretty excited because it had electricity damage, toxin damage and critical chance. But because the disposition was so low, the stats were so weak I'm not really sure it is even worth the slot. 

I didn't thought of it that way.
Well as long as those weapons do have a weak disposition and aren't unexpectedly overpowered it'll be alright.

How in the funk do you think this is p2w? You do not even need a single riven to play any content in this game...

so you would prefer if those who buy octavia with plat get nothing instead?

Edited by Murkar

3 minutes ago, SarcasticShepard said:

P2W means that you bypass grind time or get something that nonpaying customers cannot.

The first part is incorrect. Paying to get something faster has never been considered p2w, P2W is when you can acquire items which are functionally better than those that can be acquired by play. Period. If you can buy it or farm it, it's fine. If you can buy it but can't farm it? that's P2W, unless it's cosmetic or just S#&$ but you wouldn't have S#&$ items in a cash shop.

Oh yeah if you spent that much plat on just rivens you'd get around 6 on the trade channel.

you could build octavia for free, get a reactor from a alert for free, and sell syndicate weapons to buy the slot for free...

1 minute ago, Murkar said:

Oh yeah if you spent that much plat on just rivens you'd get around 6 on the trade channel.

you could build octavia for free, get a reactor from a alert for free, and sell syndicate weapons to buy the slot for free...

you could do all that, but it would cut down on your forum whining time!

Kind of sucks, but they are a company and they need to make money in a certain way to pay all the people putting a lot of hours and effort into this game. As long as you can farm this Warframe and it is not entirely just for money I'm ok with it. Riven Mods are overrated and if you really want one you can have a veiled rifle riven for around 20 to 25p so pretty easy to get as many as you want.

5 minutes ago, Thesiobhan said:

you could do all that, but it would cut down on your forum whining time!

but I already have a bunch of slots and reactors and I am still playing right now... and my plat is for fashion frame and boosters

Edited by Murkar

I really don't get the rage behind this. Can't call it pay to win, because you can get plat by trading and selling in game, and also riven mods and Octavia are both available without paying for them. Pay to win literally means you cannot get something that gives you an edge in a game without paying for it. Plus its one riven mod, veiled, which will probably turn out to be useless anyway (if my current trend of luck continues). Its just a nice perk to actually want to do her mission. I admit, I've never done Inaros' mission or Nidus' quest because I worked to trade the plat for them.

Just now, Genoscythe said:

It is much sadder that even DE themselves do not see their quest worthy of being played just because of the story or the characters, but simply for the rewards.

well that's just them being realistic about players these days, gone are the days when people did things because they were fun, now it's what does it get me? what reward do I get? Players force Devs to build skinner boxes into their games.

Just now, (PS4)fullblast35 said:

If I know you like taco,s, and i post a frame for a certain amount of plat plus 10 tacos would you buy it?  

That's the thing, In this case, the frame only comes with one taco. If you can get tacos elsewhere, say Sorties, then one taco doesn't really make a difference, right?

14 minutes ago, (PS4)XxDarkyanxX said:

I didn't thought of it that way.
Well as long as those weapons do have a weak disposition and aren't unexpectedly overpowered it'll be alright.

And trust me it really was even weaker than I thought. The amount of extra crit I got was only enough for like 7-8% more total crit. The electricity and toxin damage were both in the mid 30%'s. I am really not sure it is worth slotting. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)fullblast35 said:

If I know you like taco,s, and i post a frame for a certain amount of plat plus 10 tacos would you buy it?  

that analogy is incorrect. what you mean to say is "Hey I know you like tacos, Since you were nice and bought this frame, how about when you do this quest, that you would otherwise get no reward from, now you can have a taco because we worked really hard on the quest and want you to enjoy it too"

This is more-less like a "No Risk, No Reward" type of act, that most, if not all Business Companies do, call it an experiment if you will: They are using this new way of "Idea" to branch out how the community will react. Is there a lot of negatives or positives?.

They wish to see how the community, feels and thinks, of "what might" happen, A lot of Negatives, then it's a bad move. However, if there is a lot of positives, then it's a good move.In both ways, it's a business standpoint, but there is always gonna be a backlash, that they have to deal with, regardless of the decision made and that backlash is a learning curve for them. Like any normal human reaction, it can be either mild or massive.

The idea behind it is this: No Risk, No Money, tho things like this, is a huge gamble for people in a business, at any time this type of action, can either, Profit them in a good way, more respect, more money, etc. Or outright destroy their company. Within a simple snap of a finger.

The Business people, behind this action, are just as scared and worried, or even angry, as us players are, We all have to remember, We are only Human, after all, Humans do actions to test their lives, every day, with it be jobs or money or even their own Life.

Everyone is right, to their own feedback and personal feelings, just as DE are, so let's keep it, civil people, as, in the end, DE are only a company wishing to grow and learn.   

Edited by -Platinum-
Spelling Fixs

6 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

And trust me it really was even weaker than I thought. The amount of extra crit I got was only enough for like 7-8% more total crit. The electricity and toxin damage were both in the mid 30%'s. I am really not sure it is worth slotting. 

oh dude I know that feel so bad, I have a soma riven I found... and it's just so trash even though all the stats are good, they're in such small amounts it's worse than any halfway decent mod. The REALLY annoying part was that they nerfed it, it used to be a viable substitute for like an elemental mod, but now... it's just worse in every way.

11 minutes ago, Genoscythe said:

It is much sadder that even DE themselves do not see their quest worthy of being played just because of the story or the characters, but simply for the rewards.

Well, it's true for some (I assume I'm not the only one). I've bought all the recent frames, and haven't done any of the quests. Only exception was Inaros, but that's because I got really bored and his quest was less tedious then others. I still bought him with plat as soon as he dropped. :P

This way, I'll most likely actually play the quest through. 

Edited by Ker-Blammo