Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

best weapon (non prime)?

LeBronasaurus

Question

The Dex Sybaris that you already have is good enough to clear all content in the game if you bother to invest in it. It already has a preinstalled Orokin catalyst so you don't need to spend 20 plat too double its mod capacity, and it's one of the best rifles in the game.

Don't worry about good weapons until later, you won't need them for a while.

A lot of weapons can do a solid job. Dex Sybaris is my go-to 45+ Rifle, Tiberon is my under 40 or general use rifle (and has been since I got it), Ignis is a solid choice, too. Amprex and Atomos clear rooms fairly quickly, once you've modded them out. Torid and Pox can be outfitted to stunlock things to death all the way into the 100s. Honestly, though, I'd say experiment. Find something you like and go from there.

Mods are where a lot of the real power is (outside the Hek and Tigris variants, which do truckloads of raw damage), and can make a good chunk of weapons work (maybe not work well, but you can survive) into the 30s and 40s. Just remember your base damage mods.

Atterax.... swoosh 

As a beginner as soon I hit MR2 I got it. Doesn't need crazy resources to build except the Argon crystals but you can get them. But this is my main melee for all defense missions.. I like range on my melee and most of the time I don't use primary or secondary weapons.. 

I do have a Orthos prime now with maxed out primed reach and prime pressure point which is an insane combo for range but the atterax is still the preferred choice and its attack animation looks pretty cool to me as well.

Edited by Kusungphak

Thanks for your responses. I'll definitely keep using my Sybaris for now then, but I do enjoy using the Boltor. I'll look at using the Amprex too.

Additionally, and this is a bit off topic, but is the Fragor good? How about the Galatine? I want to use Valkyr so are these weapons good for her?

Galatine is very good weapon with high damage and long range however swings a bit too slow for my taste. On Valk it won't be that bad if you can get Eternal War augment and melee a lot.

You should really try as many weapons as you can and see if you enjoy them. If you do then invest in that weapon - orokin catalyst, a few forma, leveled mods.

Mods are much more important than the weapon itself and modding for each faction separately is essential, especially early on when you can't afford to level Serration or Hornet Strike to rank 10.

That said you should always use "base damage" mod on your weapon leveled as high as you can (Serration, Hornet Strike, Point Blank, Pressure Point). After that use elemental combo for most troublesome enemy in faction you are facing. Check wiki page Damage 2.0 for table on that matter. If critical chance on that weapon is at least 20% you may also put there mods for increased critical hit chance and critical damage.

The reason is that those mods apply multiplicatively so if weapon has only 10% critical chance then maxed Point Strike (+150% critical chance) will improve it only to 25% rather than 160%.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:09 PM, asianlongdong said:

relatively new player, looking for a good hard hitting weapon (main, secondary and melee). already have all dex weapons 

So I'll take being new-ish to probably also mean "low Mastery Rank" as well (nothing wrong with that either!) and focus on those.

For Primary weapons, a fantastic one that is low mastery and will always be good is the Hek shotgun. 
-it's mr-4 and is one of the best in class at any mastery level. 
-you absolutely want to get the "Hek-exclusive Scattered Justice mod" as this will give it a huge damage boost and also a very nice proc (does damage and restores some health).

And actually if you're interested, I typed up some notes for a friend of mine that started playing not too long ago and I'll just paste them here:

Spoiler

SO first of all the best advice I’ve seen given is finding weapons you enjoy and using the right tool for the job as the main goal. 
Propper Mod-ing is more important than base item stats as it's the mods that let the weapon be effective. That said once you're into mod-ing that is when you'll see where the base stats matter too since that is what the mods work off of.
As you get more experienced you'll probably get a good feel for how it all works. ;-)
NOW all that said, here're my own recommendations for some very fine weapons of Rank 4 or lower.

Primary:

Torrid (a nice intro to Launchers and one with no self-damage. It does an AoE cloud effect which is pretty nice and a weapon worth keeping.

Dread (whenever you manage to get it from the Stalker. It's his most dropped b.p. but that doesn't mean he'll be nice and show up and drop it in a timely matter =p. You can "farm" him by killing Boss mobs which is a really good idea to do anyhow for their Frame parts b.p.s)

Quanta (it's an ok weapon, it will also introduce you to a different style of weapon. This one is Beams and also Alt Fire. Worth building but not a permanent keeper since there's a better version you can get later on (the Quanta Vandal {which is also MR 4!} from Baro Ki'teer when he has it).

Sobek (shotgun, worth keeping as there are some very nice mods that make it pretty good).

Hek (shotgun, better than the Sobek as it's easier to mod and has a very nice syndicate mod that boosts it a lot. It's on par with its MR12 Syndicate version the Vaykor Hek, so it is that good).

Zhuge (crossbow, totally a keeper. Good stats across the board and it is silent. Easy to mod since it has strong crit and status. Do a few Alerts for some Nitain and Argon Crystals are easy to get now in the Void))
Karak (a decent low-rank weapon that you can use but won't keep. It's pretty much a precursor to the Soma (mr6), which is a very fine weapon indeed).
- there is an upgrade version in the form of the Karak Wraith.

Grakata (fun full auto weapon, can also be used to build the Twin Grakata secondaries for more MR).
- there is an upgrade version in the form of the Prisma Grakata.

Primes totally worth getting when you have the Plat for it or are able to farm them:
Paris Prime (Bow; the Paris Prime is a good bow just below the Dread and is a pretty common drop).
Braton Prime (really good full auto rifle, also fairly common).

Lex Prime (one of the top Secondaries and again fairly common, altho slightly less so since the Aklex Prime became a thing).

I never got around to adding Secondary and Melee weapons to that. (besides the Lex Prime there).

Just to name a few real quick:

Secondary-
Sonicor
Twin Grakata (build 1 grakata primary, rank it to max, build a 2nd one and make this. More mastery for you and a nice weapon).
Furis (you can get a syndicate mod for this too)
Akmagnus (build a Magnus, rank to max, build a 2nd and make this pretty good weapon).
Akvasto (same comments as Akmagnus)
Akjagara (very epensive to build but also a lot of mastery if you build each part, rank those to max and work your way to this. A nice "project weapon".)

Melee-
Galatine
Atterax
Orthos
Dual Zoren
Tipedo
Ack and Brunt
Redeemer
Kogake / Obex
Ninkondi

So that's quite a few options there, hope that helps.

Cheers
~R~

5 hours ago, (Xbox One)Deflinek said:

Galatine is very good weapon with high damage and long range however swings a bit too slow for my taste. On Valk it won't be that bad if you can get Eternal War augment and melee a lot.

You should really try as many weapons as you can and see if you enjoy them. If you do then invest in that weapon - orokin catalyst, a few forma, leveled mods.

Mods are much more important than the weapon itself and modding for each faction separately is essential, especially early on when you can't afford to level Serration or Hornet Strike to rank 10.

That said you should always use "base damage" mod on your weapon leveled as high as you can (Serration, Hornet Strike, Point Blank, Pressure Point). After that use elemental combo for most troublesome enemy in faction you are facing. Check wiki page Damage 2.0 for table on that matter. If critical chance on that weapon is at least 20% you may also put there mods for increased critical hit chance and critical damage.

The reason is that those mods apply multiplicatively so if weapon has only 10% critical chance then maxed Point Strike (+150% critical chance) will improve it only to 25% rather than 160%.

Thanks for all the info. Sadly, I don't even own a no damaged version of Serration or Hornet...

16 minutes ago, Rolunde said:

So I'll take being new-ish to probably also mean "low Mastery Rank" as well (nothing wrong with that either!) and focus on those.

For Primary weapons, a fantastic one that is low mastery and will always be good is the Hek shotgun. 
-it's mr-4 and is one of the best in class at any mastery level. 
-you absolutely want to get the "Hek-exclusive Scattered Justice mod" as this will give it a huge damage boost and also a very nice proc (does damage and restores some health).

And actually if you're interested, I typed up some notes for a friend of mine that started playing not too long ago and I'll just paste them here:

Hide contents

SO first of all the best advice I’ve seen given is finding weapons you enjoy and using the right tool for the job as the main goal. 
Propper Mod-ing is more important than base item stats as it's the mods that let the weapon be effective. That said once you're into mod-ing that is when you'll see where the base stats matter too since that is what the mods work off of.
As you get more experienced you'll probably get a good feel for how it all works. ;-)
NOW all that said, here're my own recommendations for some very fine weapons of Rank 4 or lower.

Primary:

Torrid (a nice intro to Launchers and one with no self-damage. It does an AoE cloud effect which is pretty nice and a weapon worth keeping.

Dread (whenever you manage to get it from the Stalker. It's his most dropped b.p. but that doesn't mean he'll be nice and show up and drop it in a timely matter =p. You can "farm" him by killing Boss mobs which is a really good idea to do anyhow for their Frame parts b.p.s)

Quanta (it's an ok weapon, it will also introduce you to a different style of weapon. This one is Beams and also Alt Fire. Worth building but not a permanent keeper since there's a better version you can get later on (the Quanta Vandal {which is also MR 4!} from Baro Ki'teer when he has it).

Sobek (shotgun, worth keeping as there are some very nice mods that make it pretty good).

Hek (shotgun, better than the Sobek as it's easier to mod and has a very nice syndicate mod that boosts it a lot. It's on par with its MR12 Syndicate version the Vaykor Hek, so it is that good).

Zhuge (crossbow, totally a keeper. Good stats across the board and it is silent. Easy to mod since it has strong crit and status. Do a few Alerts for some Nitain and Argon Crystals are easy to get now in the Void))
Karak (a decent low-rank weapon that you can use but won't keep. It's pretty much a precursor to the Soma (mr6), which is a very fine weapon indeed).
- there is an upgrade version in the form of the Karak Wraith.

Grakata (fun full auto weapon, can also be used to build the Twin Grakata secondaries for more MR).
- there is an upgrade version in the form of the Prisma Grakata.

Primes totally worth getting when you have the Plat for it or are able to farm them:
Paris Prime (Bow; the Paris Prime is a good bow just below the Dread and is a pretty common drop).
Braton Prime (really good full auto rifle, also fairly common).

Lex Prime (one of the top Secondaries and again fairly common, altho slightly less so since the Aklex Prime became a thing).

I never got around to adding Secondary and Melee weapons to that. (besides the Lex Prime there).

Just to name a few real quick:

Secondary-
Sonicor
Twin Grakata (build 1 grakata primary, rank it to max, build a 2nd one and make this. More mastery for you and a nice weapon).
Furis (you can get a syndicate mod for this too)
Akmagnus (build a Magnus, rank to max, build a 2nd and make this pretty good weapon).
Akvasto (same comments as Akmagnus)
Akjagara (very epensive to build but also a lot of mastery if you build each part, rank those to max and work your way to this. A nice "project weapon".)

Melee-
Galatine
Atterax
Orthos
Dual Zoren
Tipedo
Ack and Brunt
Redeemer
Kogake / Obex
Ninkondi

So that's quite a few options there, hope that helps.

Cheers
~R~

Oh my, thanks for all that.

I currently have the Furis, and need a lot more resources for the Sonicor. Is it worth grinding to get if I already have the Furis?

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Regardless of hitting hard: Get yourself a furis and keep it. Only ranged weapon that offers free, easy life steal with its augument. Becomes a tactical gem for tanky frames.

Ok. I recently levelled it to about 25 not knowing it was good (taxi'ed to Akkad) to get Mastery Rank points. Good to know it was worth my time!

This game community is honestly by far the best I've ever encountered. No toxicity, lots of friendly helpful people on the forums, and players that are always willing to help newer players like me with farming/levelling items. 

HOWEVER

I have one more question: is the Dual Ichors the best melee weapon? If so, can they not be obtained from the clan research, and is it costly to make?

3 minutes ago, asianlongdong said:

This game community is honestly by far the best I've ever encountered. No toxicity, lots of friendly helpful people on the forums, and players that are always willing to help newer players like me with farming/levelling items. 

HOWEVER

I have one more question: is the Dual Ichors the best melee weapon? If so, can they not be obtained from the clan research, and is it costly to make?

The Ichors take the dual zorren, and an atomos to craft. They are quite good on a flash accelerant ember build. 

Just now, asianlongdong said:

idk what any of those materials are, but I'm assuming they're not beginner friendly 

Both are other weapons. They combine to make the Dual Ichor. 

Atomos is a secondary, the zorren are melee. Check the marketplace for the blueprints. Can't remember all the recourses required to build them. 

4 hours ago, asianlongdong said:

HOWEVER

I'd vote prisma dual cleavers on that one. Similar weapon but more status and slash base. By far the best weapon for combo/crit/status builds, what's currently the best thing for melee in the game as the more or less guaranteed status is finisher.

Galatine prime and nikana prima are pretty close to that ideal too.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

58 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

I'd vote prisma dual cleavers on that one. Similar weapon but more status and slash base. By far the best weapon for combo/crit/status builds, what's currently the best thing for melee in the game as the more or less guaranteed status is finisher.

Galatine prime and nikana prima are pretty close to that ideal too.

How about regular Galatine?