The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember: The strongest warframe rework idea

Newnight

Was messing around with ember and seeing how her powers stacked up against high level enemies in the sterile room. Not to surprising however, it was fairly ineffective at actually killing lancers at level 60 till I messed around with the power strength. Got near 300 percent power strength to see the effectiveness, had to say not to bad at  high level and when adding her 2 into the mix it is nice enough damage so a few changes and could make ember a better agile dps frame and possibly giver he more uses.

Passive: For each enemy under the effect of a heat proc, ember gains 10% power strength. ( or 15%)

Suggestion,: Storing the excess power strength into a gauge that decays over time to prevent ember from becoming useless.

Warning: Initial modding still counts toward overall benefit: like all frames.

1.Fireball

Changes:

Higher initial power strength increases damage and number of fireballs changing from balls to a flaming cluster. Similar to multi-shot.

While higher range effects the radius at which the fire ball can spread its damage and proc.

Duration remains the same.

Projectiles: 1/2/3

Range state: 5/6/8/10 meters

Warning: Be aware the fire balls do not increase as strength rises due to the new passive but they do get stronger in dmg.

Purpose: allow her to be either dmg or dot with this ability. Works with her and her 2's changes.

2. Accelerant:

Gives Ember’s gear 100% heat damage. (not effected by power strength)

If weapon has existing heat damage, it adds onto it of course.

Accerleant itself keeps much of the same stats, however if an enemy is on fire when ember castes accerlerant it has a chance to spread to additional targets. Targets already under accerleants effect but are then light on fire cause it to spread from the targets immediately making it like adding a match to gasoline. while the former was like dousing the floor in gasoline. around a burning campfire.

3.Fire blast is changed to give ember a defensive skill.

Split on the standard reduction and the other idea.

1st idea: Blaze

Ember ignites the air around herself, creating a layer of heat, protecting her from damage. ( in actuality it is the standard dmg reduction abilities we see in game but does have damage.)

Ember is coated in a thin but visible layer of her energy color. (represents the ability.)

Inflicts heat damage which is effected by power strength.

Closer the target is to ember the more damage the ability does. Range effects the range of the ability: meaning it effects the distance ember needs to affects the target with damage. Higher strength benefits from standards stuff while a smaller range benefits the amount of damage that can be done at close range.

Augment changes: those in range of her are hit with the chance to panic.

Other suggestion:

Refraction: The air becomes heat around ember, causing a decrease in accuracy to enemies.

Does not deal damage but it has a chance to cause an enemies gun to jam and become unusable. (heat sucks for metal.)

Benefits allies and ember as it causes enemy aim to falter immensely.

Chance caps of at either 25% chance or 33% (unchangeable). This percentage represent the chances of an enemy gun becoming jammed.

Augment would still cause panic.

Blazes stats:

Power strength: 100/125/150/200

Range: 5/6/8/10 meters

Duration: 9/12/15/20s

Protects you (dmg reduction) and damage potential.

Refraction:

50% chance to disable an enemy weapon on cast.

Accuracy reduction is effected by power strength and caps at 65 percent.

5/10/12/15 meters

No damage unless using the current fire blast augment to inflict procs.

Duration works like blazes

WOF: IDC. It is a decent ability so I guess largely unchanged.

TO address energy issues: Enemies who die under a heat proc have a 50/50 chance of granting ember a energy: amount could e determined by overall effectiveness of ember due to the changes.

Rework's purpose: Ember uses the enemies like firewood to make herself more deadly and seeing as how enemies scale in the game it would fall of at high level, but would then have the chance to scale as well as they last longer and would increase in amount. This would allow ember to then jump up and fight them like a caster would while at the same time keeping them knocked down, panicking or unable to hit her so she can counter attack.. also would allow for possibly interesting builds for her.

Feedback and comments and such.

Grr, I was going to post a rework for Ember that revolved around gaining power strength for heat procs in the next day or so... Beat me to it. 

On topic though, I disagree that WoF is "fine". It is a toggle and forget ability with absolutely no game play interaction. Abilities should change how you are playing the game. And on that note, I like the second concept for your 3 rework as it is not as much a fire (heh) and forget as your placement on the battlefield largely affects its effectiveness for you and your team.

And my biggest worry is that Ember won't have a place on a team. Sure she can deal solid damage but other Warframes can fill that role plus some other stuff. This would still be a massive step in the right direction though. 

This is a much simpler rework than what I have in the works, but from DE's past reworks they have shown a heavy bias towards changing as little as possible in terms of playstyle but rather buffing the effects of said playstyle. 

the only ability you've changed is fireblast. i wouldnt call it a rework since it doesnt differ too much from current style but adds flavor to it. im all for that. wof suffers really from being able to be maintained almost permanently. of the channeled abilities it has the second lowest energy drain. for a damage ult it should do scaling damage and have a heavy draw back for its use so that it doesnt overshadow her other powers. that is the problem with all the frames and their ults. they shouldnt be spammable and should be incredibly strong with a draw back that wont allow you to use it often.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

55 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

This is a much simpler rework than what I have in the works, but from DE's past reworks they have shown a heavy bias towards changing as little as possible in terms of playstyle but rather buffing the effects of said playstyle. 

this indeed is the direction i believe they should continue to move in. we have enough frames to provide that killing/supporting variety so much that none of them need some magical overhaul (frost and mag are good examples of this). though with the update to the parkour system all parkour powers should have been removed. 

8 hours ago, Newnight said:

Does not deal damage but it has a chance to cause an enemies gun to jam and become unusable. (heat sucks for metal.)

I stopped reading after this because frankly I feel like I'm just going to agree with everything you said.  I find it really sad that there is literally one ability in the entire game (Mesa's) that uses the gun jamming animation when its so darned cool to watch.

If I'm wrong, correct me, that's fine.  Anyway, what I read looked pretty great.  So +1

On 15.4.2017 at 4:31 AM, Newnight said:

Passive: For each enemy under the effect of a heat proc, ember gains 10% power strength. ( or 15%)

Suggestion,: Storing the excess power strength into a gauge that decays over time to prevent ember from becoming useless.

That would be pretty overpowered, given that with a status weapon you can constantly keep everything around you on fire and just would be as adding 100-200% power strength to Ember permanently. I guess you could make it like 2% or something to balance out damage vs status weapons on Ember, even then I do not think it is needed.

1.Fireball

Changes:

Higher initial power strength increases damage and number of fireballs changing from balls to a flaming cluster. Similar to multi-shot.

While higher range effects the radius at which the fire ball can spread its damage and proc.

Duration remains the same.

Projectiles: 1/2/3

Range state: 5/6/8/10 meters

Warning: Be aware the fire balls do not increase as strength rises due to the new passive but they do get stronger in dmg.

Purpose: allow her to be either dmg or dot with this ability. Works with her and her 2's changes.

It is only used for the quick CC at higher levels or utility like killing cameras  or disable the magnitic traps on grenier doors for melee runs. Overall it does what it does on other frames that got similar first abilities. If you want to buff it just make the AOE of Fireball also a guaranteed heat proc instead of only the chance of one what improves the CC component of the ability.

2. Accelerant:

Gives Ember’s gear 100% heat damage. (not effected by power strength)

If weapon has existing heat damage, it adds onto it of course.

Accerleant itself keeps much of the same stats, however if an enemy is on fire when ember castes accerlerant it has a chance to spread to additional targets. Targets already under accerleants effect but are then light on fire cause it to spread from the targets immediately making it like adding a match to gasoline. while the former was like dousing the floor in gasoline. around a burning campfire.

That would also be fairly overpowered since it adds even to the strongest scaling weapons on Ember, that have 3 heat mods for them 43% fire damage, more on secondary and melee that have less heat mods.

If you couple that with only 100% extra power strength on a 200% modded power strength Ember(since 10 heat procs are very easy to keep up, even more so since WoF reaches 100% status chance before the 300% power strength mark) you more then double the fire damage on weapons like the vaykor Hek of 40k(before crits and head shots) to 83k resulting in well over 200k damage per single shot after you add crit and head shots in the mix, what I think is kind of excessive(even the current 100k damage per single shot kind of is where you still pretty much just 1-2 shot kill L100 grenier in sortis).

3.Fire blast is changed to give ember a defensive skill.

Split on the standard reduction and the other idea.

1st idea: Blaze

Ember ignites the air around herself, creating a layer of heat, protecting her from damage. ( in actuality it is the standard dmg reduction abilities we see in game but does have damage.)

Ember is coated in a thin but visible layer of her energy color. (represents the ability.)

Inflicts heat damage which is effected by power strength.

Closer the target is to ember the more damage the ability does. Range effects the range of the ability: meaning it effects the distance ember needs to affects the target with damage. Higher strength benefits from standards stuff while a smaller range benefits the amount of damage that can be done at close range.

Augment changes: those in range of her are hit with the chance to panic.

Other suggestion:

Refraction: The air becomes heat around ember, causing a decrease in accuracy to enemies.

Benefits allies and ember as it causes enemy aim to falter immensely.

Chance caps of at either 25% chance or 33% (unchangeable). This percentage represent the chances of an enemy gun becoming jammed.

Augment would still cause panic.

Blazes stats:

Power strength: 100/125/150/200

Range: 5/6/8/10 meters

Duration: 9/12/15/20s

Protects you (dmg reduction) and damage potential.

Refraction:

50% chance to disable an enemy weapon on cast.

Accuracy reduction is effected by power strength and caps at 65 percent.

5/10/12/15 meters

No damage unless using the current fire blast augment to inflict procs.

Duration works like blazes

The first suggestion would be basically the old overheat that DE removed since they did not like Ember as super tank and replaced with it with accelerant that allows Ember not only to stay alive but also deal very high damage. 

The 2. one would be all right I guess even if it would be much simpler to just make the hole ring burn and make it a static defence skill that it kind of tries to be, what would be useful if you put it around a defence pod or at the choke point on the map to slow enemy units down.

Edited by Djego27

On 4/14/2017 at 7:31 PM, Newnight said:

Suggestion,: Storing the excess power strength into a gauge that decays over time to prevent ember from becoming useless

I think this would help Ember's scaling issues with WoF damage greatly, yet makes the damage potentially spiky.  Having the passive being affected by Power Duration would be a  must.

<Fireball Changes>

That looks like a huge step up from the useless skill that it currently is.

<Accelerant Section>

I can get behind this.  It would probably push more Ember players towards using the Javlok - which isn't a bad thing =D

<Fire Blast section>

I personally like that Fire Blast does a pulse of fire damage...  maybe have it retain the same damage pulse, yet have it also jam their weapons?

<WoF>

What about tweaking WoF to be an AoE area (so that Firequake's mechanics aren't screwed with), that doesn't damage the enemy directly, but instead applies a fire proc when the damage tick would occur with the fire proc's damage based off of the primary weapon's fire damage, the above passive, and warframe's power strength?  That way Firequake can still CC, you've got WoF feeding the passive bonus, and it shuts down a lot of the "press 4 and forget is bad" arguments.