Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Conculyst farming: why does it have to be boring?

So I got a war hilt, a war blade, and the two blueprints without even trying: the hilt dropped during a quest the first time I fought a conculyst, the blade dropped when I was doing the challenges on Lua, and the blueprints may drop anywhere when your doing something else. So far so good, let's craft that sword, it will be fun !

[Is there a way to insert an image on this forum ? An admiral Ackbar image]

The first day, it's fun; you meet people discovering the moon and help them to do the challenges, improve your strategies to beat sentients, But at the end of the day, you got nothing. And helping people doing the challenge is fun the 12th first times, but is boring at the 76th times. And it takes a long, long times. And it seems the parts never drops, people are already saying I was lucky as hell to get the hilt and a blade without even trying. So you have to be more efficient.

Launch Plato - loading - wait for Occulyst to appear - find Occulyst - wait for sentients to appear - fight sentients - look at drops - abandon mission - loading - back to start.

Boring as hell. I have far more fun filling a tax form; I have more fun paying my taxes than doing this farm!

That's not counting the times you join a squad who has already beaten/not seen the sentient (or should you play solo, so it's even more boring ? I don't think my sanity can handle more boredom), and the various bugs when trying to relaunch the mission after abandoning.

I can understand it being difficult. I can understand it being long. But why on earth does it have to be boring ? What game designer is proud of creating a boring part in his game ? What game designer would think boredom is a necessity in his game?

Let's compare to Ivara : I got Ivara without trying, only by doing void fissure spy mission. It takes more time than farming (there isn't always a spy void fissure), but it's fun, you don't have to open all vault (it's void fissure so there are other people), there are big gunfight, sometime big gunfight inside the vault itself, and even when you don't get Ivara, you get something (namely, a prime part). You can also get Ivara during syndicate spy alert. I guess it's also possible during kuva stuff.

So you have two way of getting Ivara : the hard way, by farming, or the smooth way, by doing spy mission only when you have another reason to do spy missions. The hard way is quick, the smooth way is fun (I guess the hard way is fun also if you really like spy mission). This is good game design.

But conculyst farm ? Why in hell would I go to Lua now I made all tests ? There's no void fissure on Lua. I'm not sure there's kuva stuff. There's no syndicate alert. Plato mission is just plain boring Plato mission, always the same boring Plato mission. If there were another reason to go on Lua, I would have done the same thing as with Ivara: no farming, go on Lua when there's something special, eventually a blade will drop. Except there's no reason to go on Lua : I won't get the blade if I don't go there exclusively for the blade.

btw, are sentients supposed to be frightening for new players ? Because they're not. I'm not the only one to abandon mission after killing the sentients. For new players, sentients are just some kind of victims who are killed by frames randomly popping in and then quitting the mission.

Edited by mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa

so what i read from this is that you requesting

• the sentients need a huge buff making them somewhat of a miniboss
  • the loot they drop needs to be hidden with "unidentified item" only showing the reward at the end mission screen
  • adding kuva missions to lua (i assumed thats already a thing)
  • spead out the random alerts to affect lua more
  • put more rare loot in the lua drop tables

putting syndicate missions on lua wont work since you unlock syndicates earlier than you unlock lua

It would be Okay for me.

Ivara parts have something like 5% chance of drop. That's far more than the current drop chance for the blade. So yeah, random drop at end of mission with at least 5% chance, and a reason to go there (other than farming the blade) would be no prob for me. (Of course, the current abysmal drop chance but as "unidentified item" would be even worse).

(sentients are already mini-bosses. They are far more dangerous than most level-appropriate bosses like the hyena pack).

Don't assume your experience is the same as everyone elses.... you just got extremely lucky with rng because I haven't had a single 'war part' drop from conculysts... and I've been playing nearly a year....  mind you actually need the bp's to make use of them and as it took me nearly a year to get war bp to drop (and now it seems to drop as often as dread.... yet all I actually need/want is despair) it didn't make much difference lol

While I'm not saying the conculysts are easy or not because that basically depends on team/frame/weapon etc I do think they could have their drop tables looked at...

Ivara is the same, I've literally had 1 part from that, partly due to me not liking spy missions but also down to rng. 

I do think, lua and void need some reason to go there though because there isn't really much there if I'm honest after you have the limited number of mods.   Derelict is the same situation but is made worse because you need to make a group to specifically farm the rng on the vaults. 

Well, there's a coincidence. After 250+ days and at MR22 I finally, finally have both blueprints and I came here to ask advice about farming parts for Broken War. This is the most recent thread to turn up in a search. 

I just did a free search and found a Reddit thread as well. Quoting from that:

" ...With all four players standing as close to each other as possible, everyone casts prowl (BEFORE they spawn) and pickpocket all of the sentients. When everyone has finished pickpocketing you can either kill them for some extra chance at some drops or let the HOST abort. Since the squad type was set to invite only the entire squad will be returned to their lisets and you can repeat the mission again." 

And so forth. 

Forget it. Just forget it. 

4 minutes ago, Wiergate said:

Well, there's a coincidence. After 250+ days and at MR22 I finally, finally have both blueprints and I came here to ask advice about farming parts for Broken War. This is the most recent thread to turn up in a search. 

I just did a free search and found a Reddit thread as well. Quoting from that:

" ...With all four players standing as close to each other as possible, everyone casts prowl (BEFORE they spawn) and pickpocket all of the sentients. When everyone has finished pickpocketing you can either kill them for some extra chance at some drops or let the HOST abort. Since the squad type was set to invite only the entire squad will be returned to their lisets and you can repeat the mission again." 

And so forth. 

Forget it. Just forget it. 

Reading that, and imagining that they probably really did that for hours and hours at a time, is a very depressing thought. I feel bad for anyone who subjects themselves to that kind of grind. 

21 hours ago, TaylorsContraction said:

2) you fight 2-4 and have to restart mission for the next batch.

You fight 0-2.  2 sentients spawn and they're often both worthless battalysts.  That's a major part of the problem.

Edited by Callback

There are often 4 sentients; I don't know what determine the number of sentients - my guess is, each occulyst summons 1d2 sentients (and there are 2 occulysts in Plato), so you may get up to 4 sentients depending on the number of occulyst you saw and the number of sentients they summoned.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:18 PM, Wiergate said:

It seems missions 2 and 3 of Octavia's quest are a better spot than Plato. It's a re-doable quest. But it's a solo quest, so you can't even do it with friends.

(I didn't try this, so I may be wrong)

Edited by mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa

22 minutes ago, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

There are often 4 sentients; I don't know what determine the number of sentients - my guess is, each occulyst summons 1d2 sentients (and there are 2 occulysts in Plato), so you may get up to 4 sentients depending on the number of occulyst you saw and the number of sentients they summoned.

It seems missions 2 and 3 of Octavia's quest are a better spot than Plato. It's a re-doable quest. But it's a solo quest, so you can't even do it with friends.

(I didn't try this, so I may be wrong)

Octavia's Anthem sentient drops were toned down (as in, massively) the day after the update went live since some people realized it was farmable and ended up getting a handful of Vengeful Revenant and War parts in a matter of hours.

As for the drops and the hunt themselves, I gave up and bought mines after hours of mind-numbing farm. I get that some parts have to be hard to get in order to incite people to spend plats in trades/market, but at the same time, as the OP stated, this hunt really is a mind numbing one. Maybe making Conculysts and/or Sentients in general spawn more often would make it worth it to go through the whole mission instead of starting, checking drops, and going back to the liset, over and over again.

I honestly had more fun doing 2hours survivals on the Kuva Fortress huntig for Sovereign Outcast than on war parts hunts.

45 minutes ago, mplokijuhygtfrdeszqa said:

Thanks for the tip, but I think I saw that mentioned somewhere and the question was if they even have their regular drops in the quest? Someone in the discussion I saw said they didn't and people lost interest. Said person could of course be wrong, but that's kind of beside the point anyway. 

If people set up very specific squad types, cycle mission aborts and do this for a long, long time to even get a remote chance at a drop of which they need several...I'm not gonna rant, the OP has already summed it up nicely.

For the most part I'm ok with farming in games, I actually enjoy it. Seeing that special glow of the item you want can be pretty awesome. This, however, goes far beyond what I'm willing to take. If a farm has been tedious and frustrating enough there's no joy whatever when you eventually get the drop - especially given that you'll have to do it all over again as soon as you've washed away the salt.

Sorry, I wasn't gonna rant, I'll stop now :facepalm: 

Edited by Wiergate

They "hotfixed" the octavia quest, they better hotfix them droprates. Conculysts are ugly. Battlysts are useless.
Or just make Stalker drops his own stuff and increase the drop rates for them on him specifically. Give Conculysts some other grabage. 
Or y'know make Conculyst spawn more than Battlysts and give battlysts the same drops as conculyst and remove those useless mods from them. 

Been solo farming this with Valkyr on plato specifically for Vengeful Revenant. Haven't gotten anything. I've been doing this for 2 weeks everyday for 3-6 hours.

Edited by ShadeNightz