Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Feedback 20.3.1 and beyond

ScribbleClash

Just now, Hemmo67 said:

honestly how did they not kill anything with his 1st? when i cast it on oxium drones high lvl intercept it kills anything nexto the drone

so HOW da hek cannot your "youtubers" kill stuff with it? old footage my guess

it was streamed 15 mins ago on twitch.tv/brozime.  I've also done this testing myself as I initially said. 

1 minute ago, KrypTic. said:

it was streamed 15 mins ago on twitch.tv/brozime.  I've also done this testing myself as I initially said. 

then just HOW when i use it it kills stuff

and for your information 175% efficency, 145 range 100 strenght and 105 duration

Edited by Hemmo67

1 minute ago, Neightrix said:

Given the title, this review made more sens than I thought it would.

I'll echo what has been said about Smite, the damage to nearby enemies seems insignificant. The scaling seem okay-ish, but I think a bit more would be better. I think the scaling damage should also ignore armor, otherwise it gets diluted to the point where the damage is barely visible.

I'd like to see it be 360 degrees on Hallowed Ground as welll. Range mods are heavily scaled down on Hallowed Ground, which I actually completely agree with, but I think it could be a tad less severe. That could give you the range you're looking for.

I also think Renewal would be much better as a toggle. Maybe recast to send out the burst heal? You still really want duration for Hallowed Ground and Reckoning, so I think this would make modding much better as well. Players might *want* an Oberon if the armor buff was a consistent thing :)

On Reckoning, even a 3m increase to base range would be an appreciable difference! While the blinding effect rarely does anything I don't really agree with buffing its duration, since you're already dealing good damage and proc'ing radiation on everything. I know some frames do much more insane things with blinding and such, but I think this acceptable for a frame that supposed to fill a diverse role.

Great ideas, and well written and explained.

Thanks for the reply :)

A quick note on Reckoning's damage: It falls off very quickly once you go past level 50 enemies (so basically stuff beyond the starchart). Armour makes it virtually useless. All frames ultimate abilities should have a function that allows them to be useful beyond that level.

Blind, knockdown and radiation procs would be playing on Oberon's advantages without having to try and shoehorn (force) damage in there.

It also makes a build more viable where a player doesn't have to try and focus so much on power strength in order to make their ultimate ability useful at those levels where raw damage isn't an option for a frame that doesn't scale damage.

you.... know how scaling works right? 

its X% of enemies HP. meaning that if you hit a lvl1 butcher with it, it will just take X% of his HP, same for if it was a lvl 9001 corrupted heavy gunner. still X%. yes this means it wont be a oneshot. but its still better than dealing 2500DMG all the time regardless of level.

as for his armor thing. oberon isnt a tank, oberon is a jack of all trades. meaning he has a little bit of everything, he can support via heals and armor buffs, he can deal damage with reckoning and smite, he can CC with reckoning and hallowed ground, etc. and its EXACTLY because of that that he isnt as strong of a support as trinity, isnt as strong of a damage dealer as excalibur or ember, and isnt as good of a CC frame as nova, vauban, etc. 

if oberons abilities where on par with other frames abilities. oberon would be all you needed. since he can do everything

so as a tradeoff it is currently, and will always be that oberon can do everything, but not as good as other frames.

Just now, KrypTic. said:

Not sure bud, all I can say is go the simulacrum and see for yourself. :)

ohh you use that

go into a mission and stop using simulacrum (it has various bugs that interfear with legimacy of testing)

Just give Renewal its infinite range back.

It not having been made into a simple toggled super-Rejuvenation is a huge miss of course,
but first and foremost, I'm getting really sick of DE's fear / hate of generous healing ranges.
Seriously, what's up with that?

Just now, NinjaZeku said:

Just give Renewal its infinite range back.

It not having been made into a simple toggled super-Rejuvenation is a huge miss of course,
but first and foremost, I'm getting really sick of DE's fear / hate of generous healing ranges.
Seriously, what's up with that?

I'd say the range is less of an issue, my Renewal covers about 47m I think. As others have said, it's probably the inverse-duration causing more problems now as a long duration heal-over-time would have been a good buff for the ability.

currently there seems to be a problem where the damage is split between the projectiles AFTER scaling. meaning that more power strength = less dmg per projectile because it increases how many projectiles there are, but not the base scaling.

btw i managed to deal decent damage with it on akkad. sooo yeh.

1 minute ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

currently there seems to be a problem where the damage is split between the projectiles AFTER scaling. meaning that more power strength = less dmg per projectile because it increases how many projectiles there are, but not the base scaling.

btw i managed to deal decent damage with it on akkad. sooo yeh.

hopefully that's a bug

1 minute ago, CeePee said:

Sadly the current way of thinking seems to be if it's not OP it's basically trash. 

Smite Infusion augment alone makes Oberon a ridiculously strong buffer.

People dont care about buffing. People want to kill stuff en masse and as fast as possible

5 minutes ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

you.... know how scaling works right? 

its X% of enemies HP. meaning that if you hit a lvl1 butcher with it, it will just take X% of his HP, same for if it was a lvl 9001 corrupted heavy gunner. still X%. yes this means it wont be a oneshot. but its still better than dealing 2500DMG all the time regardless of level.

as for his armor thing. oberon isnt a tank, oberon is a jack of all trades. meaning he has a little bit of everything, he can support via heals and armor buffs, he can deal damage with reckoning and smite, he can CC with reckoning and hallowed ground, etc. and its EXACTLY because of that that he isnt as strong of a support as trinity, isnt as strong of a damage dealer as excalibur or ember, and isnt as good of a CC frame as nova, vauban, etc. 

if oberons abilities where on par with other frames abilities. oberon would be all you needed. since he can do everything

so as a tradeoff it is currently, and will always be that oberon can do everything, but not as good as other frames.

Even when it came tic scaled up enemies it did nothing. Even when it was used on a lvl 145 ancient healer it did less than 400 damage per projectile and all together barely even scratched the enemy. I'm not saying that he should be able to do absurd amounts of damage I'm just asking that he do some. Also he has some of the worst CC, as most other Cc games can stun the enemies for more than 3 seconds and in a bigger range.

Let me be clear, the ability scales with enemy level, to which it scales UP and DOWN. The reason why it doesn't kill a level 1 gunner is because of how the ability has been constructed, not because of it's labelled damage.. 

My issues are the inverse duration scaling for his renewal ability, which completely ruins the idea of healing, and the small amount of armor he gives to allies, I mean seriously though,200? that's pretty weak even with 200% strength for 400.

I'm salty about this "rework" too... The gameplay reasons are enough, but on top of it I find the visual of his "reworked" 1/2/3 really cheap and not as cool as the old ones... 

Now we have :

1 = Weird Nova's 1

2 = Equinox "oil floor" but static

3 = Mag's 3, but inverted effect and fast

It's still meh to me, and now it's even not looking good :clem:

You're clearly not doing proper testing.

Smite's initial damage was not changed.  The projectiles that spawn FROM THE ENEMY YOU HIT scale with enemy level and kill everything around them.  Secondary projectiles are also affected by mods now (they weren't before).

Hallowed Ground is exactly as viable as it used to be, and actually covers a larger surface area than it did before.  In addition to having mod-affected status chance, an ally affected by Renewal while standing on Hallowed Ground will gain the normal armor bonus as well as an additional armor bonus while Renewal is active.

Renewal's casting speed was increased, and the ability no longer turns off when at full health, making Phoenix Renewal finally useful as well as making Oberon objectively BETTER THAN TRINITY at healing (I am a Trinity main, for reference) - his heal isn't cast retroactively like hers, it's proactive.  You can cast before your allies are damaged and they'll be healed.

Reckoning was not changed in any capacity except that it now deals bonus damage to enemies who are suffering from the Confusion status effect (the Rad Proc).  Enemies that enter the area during the cast are blinded as they were before.

Oberon is now the premier caster frame, slinging out damage, buffs, debuffs (Hallowed Ground debuffs enemy armor as well as DoT Rad damage), and even the game's best healing ability - and as a Trinity main who celebrated the removal of Bless Trin, I do not say that lightly.

Just now, KrypTic. said:

Let me be clear, the ability scales with enemy level, to which it scales UP and DOWN. The reason why it doesn't kill a level 1 gunner is because of how the ability has been constructed, not because of it's labelled damage.. 

That's terrible.  It's base damage should always be enough to kill a lvl 1 anything.

He isn't a bad frame.

I mean, his kit revolves around spreading radiation procs.

Enemies that aren't hitting you is a good enemy.

Also, his smite deals S#&$ty damage is because the 20% of target's max HP is then split up further. Each orb doesn't do 20% damage. But at least they proc radiation too.

Just now, PierceSG said:

He isn't a bad frame.

I mean, his kit revolves around spreading radiation procs.

Enemies that aren't hitting you is a good enemy.

Also, his smite deals S#&$ty damage is because the 20% of target's max HP is then split up further. Each orb doesn't do 20% damage. But at least they proc radiation too.

But there are two frames that already proc radiation in vastly larger areas than him, and don't  rely on a chance to do so

@SupremeDutchGamer Problem is the orbs in most situations are considerably weaker than pre-rework Smite. This is because not only does it scale off health, but the damage is split evenly into each individual orb. Kinda like Cernos Prime. You can hit a Healer Eximus (1200 Health) with a +50% Smite (gives you 9 orbs) and you'll get

(1200)(0.2) / 9 = 26.7

And the damage is not affected by power strength, compared to pre-rework Smite giving a flat 150 damage at max level that's affected by power strength. Yes we get it, he's the jack of all trades and he shouldn't excel in things that certain frames have specialties for, but most players' concern at the moment is that they effectively made him worse.