Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn (Prime)... is boring! Help me change it <3

THeMooN85

Question

100+ Strength, max Range, some duration, less efficiency...

Play-style: Place Molt on center of the map > place Spores on Molt > GROFIT! Gratz You are the MVP right now... Boring right? Ofc I'm right!

I want to change that... the problem here is that she's IMHO too fragile to be melee = using Toxic Lash will definitely end up with me grounded. OR NOT?

And her Miasma? Too expensive to use it, too less benefit... OR NOT?

Guys help me!
I heard that some guys are using Saryn Prime as melee frame but I can't see that. Maybe there is a way to make her less fragile and more effective with her Toxic Lash augment? I need a build! Good build... perfect build would be "shared" with her's spore build... Or maybe hybrid? Is that possible?

And what melee weapon would be her choice?

Thx in advance.

@THeMooN85 There :

jWxfDZp.png

I'm not saying i made the perfect build, maybe one or two things would have to be reconsidered, (had many arguments with myself about Transient Fortitude ) but still : I just love it that way, oriented on a plague-melee build, with a good resilience and a damn Steel Charge. (I mainly use a Lesion with her, with Condition Overload, 89% status, lot of slash and corrosive, with a bit ice or fire. It's just perfect, even if i already saw other Lesion builds, like gas build, op as heck. And Pox in secondary weapon : Poison and rad, Corro and ice, gas and electricity....with 100% status. Enjoy. I'm still digging how many synergies i can optimize.)

200% strenght is enough, i just like this number.

156% duration is also enough, (Constitution is gold : knockdown recovery + duration really changed her.)

145% range is far enough, no need to extend it imo,

and 100% efficiency could be a little flaw for such an energy eater. To compensate that, Primed Flow and Zenurik Focus are quite good, even if i have to spend energy carefully on first minutes.

With all this, i'm constantly casting a good toxic lash while using all others powers, if i know i won't need too much range and i will have to defend a choke point, i replace replace Stretch by an augment, sometimes Contagion Cloud. (Also use a Carrier Prime with a Sweeper built for a good CC, basically a flying taser, electricity and explosion with 69% status.)

I like many warframes, Frost, Mag, Trin, Valk, Atlas, Ember, Volt, i really have good times with them.

But Saryn ? She's the F***** Venom Queen. By far my favorite. Like lukinu_u said, her synergies are very well designed.

Edited by Stonehenge

I play her with max range, good strength and duraton without efficiency and the Toxic Lash augment.

She is great for both melee and long range fight with high gas and status (Ogris and Lanka for me).
In most of case, I kill enemis before they see me, so her fragility is not a problem but for long run on high level missions, I use Naramon to make sure they dont attack me.

She is clearly my preferate warframe and one with the most synergize between her powers.

3 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

In most of case, I kill enemis before they see me, so her fragility is not a problem but for long run on high level missions, I use Naramon to make sure they dont attack me

So you clearly using spore build with one meaningless mod replaced with Toxic Lash augment... enemies still dies from gas/spores not your melee attacks, and namaron is just tricky to not get grounded.

That doesn't satisfy me.

Too fragile? Really? One of the tankiest frames in the game that isn't Nidus or Inaros and you think the only decent way to play her is with a spore spammy molt build? Yowzas.

I personally build for power strength and duration. Then I slap on vitality, rage, steel fiber, primed flow if I feel like it and add toxic lash for a melee build. Worst case, you can add regen molt for high level stuff if you need it as you should be dropping molt every five seconds on high levels with melee builds. Don't forget you also have life strike as another healing alternative. 

Miasma is great for CC and high damage when surrounded, especially if you spam molt and spore (on actual enemies) as well and capitalise on her synergies with toxic and gas elements on your weapons. Most melee weapons are good as long as you mod them for gas/toxin/viral. I personally use infested weapons generally but anything like the nikana (and its variants), mios, caucasyst, duel ichor (with high crit and berzerker) etc will work.

Honestly OP, it sounds like you have no idea how to play her and that's where the issue lies.

2 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Honestly OP, it sounds like you have no idea how to play her and that's where the issue lies.

That's the whole point, I DON'T!

That's why this topic came out :)

I need someone who know and teach me how to use her as melee killer, not just stupid Molt+Spore. I need build and explanation how/when/why to use and what?

Video maybe? Anything that helps me enjoy her instead of "molt>spore>WIN".

Just now, THeMooN85 said:

That's the whole point, I DON'T!

That's why this topic came out :)

I need someone who know and teach me how to use her as melee killer, not just stupid Molt+Spore. I need build and explanation how/when/why to use and what?

Video maybe? Anything that helps me enjoy her instead of "molt>spore>WIN".

20170612195316_1_zps8vzinegs.jpg

That is one variation of my melee build. You can replace and shift some things around as needed, like replacing regen molt with contagion cloud or replacing armored agility with rush or anything else that tickles your fancy. This works just fine for sorties and beyond as long as you play smart. The mod levels aren't too important either as you can tweak that too your liking.

1. MOLT IS YOUR BEST FRIEND! Really, even without regen molt it is what will buy you precious seconds to get out of a bad situation a draw fire for long enough to keep you alive. It doesn't matter if molt only lasts 2 seconds with a lvl150 gunner mashing it, because those two seconds are more then enough time for you to get into a better position to do what needs to be done. I cannot stress the importance of molt as an utility and survivability power. Get in the habit of dropping molt regularly.
  2. Keep moving. Saryn is kinda slow, even with rush on, but movement is still her second best defence when molt is down or not ideal. Slide attacks can allow you to clear groups of enemies or take out priority target quickly while maintaining momentum.
  3. My build focuses on abusing saryn's tankiness and synergy with rage. You want to be taking some damage with this build as its what will supply you with energy allowing you to use your powers.
  4. Rage and regen molt synergise perfectly together in a nice little positive feedback loop. Taking damage gives you energy, and regen molt/life strike gives you health.
  5. Take advantage of the fact all her powers to some degree benefit of toxin and viral status procs. Targets taking damage from a toxin proc or with spores on them take more damage from miasma etc and all her powers to some degree benefit from each other when used together.
  6.  Miasma is great to drop after using molt in a group of enemies as molt will explode just before miasma does damage increasing the damage of both and inflicting toxin procs on enemies in the radius. Miasma is also good by itself in group for a tiny bit of CC and high damage. You get the most out of it when used in tandem with spores or Molt though.
  7. Gas is a great elemental damage type to use on your weapons with saryn, Get a weapons with high status and watch crowds of mobs be hit with toxin procs.

Thats all I have right now as far as advice. My build probably isn't the absolute best in terms of min/maxing but it gets the job done as long as you play smart.

That's basically Saryn in a nutshell.

I mean you can fight lvl 40 enemies and pretend her kit works if you want but for the most part she just spams 1 now instead of 4 and she scales much better. Majority of her kit and "Synergy" aka dependency falls off by lvl 80+ so if you ever find yourself in that situation you'll quickly find that mods like Steel Fiber, Rage, Vitality are wasted slots.

The concept of a frame with 6k eHP having a melee ability or being "tanky" is pretty funny though.

She's a very powerful non-CP group endurance frame. A staple in fact. Don't do it without her in the group but far as her solo capacity, she falls incredibly short without Naramon cheese. She just doesn't have a reliable way to protect herself outside a ~2s stun from Miasma.

12 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

I mean you can fight lvl 40 enemies and pretend her kit works if you want but for the most part she just spams 1 now instead of 4 and she scales much better. Majority of her kit and "Synergy" aka dependency falls off by lvl 80+ so if you ever find yourself in that situation you'll quickly find that mods like Steel Fiber, Rage, Vitality are wasted slots.

The concept of a frame with 6k eHP having a melee ability or being "tanky" is pretty funny though.

She's a very powerful non-CP group endurance frame. A staple in fact. Don't do it without her in the group but far as her solo capacity, she falls incredibly short without Naramon cheese. She just doesn't have a reliable way to protect herself outside a ~2s stun from Miasma.

Dang, no Idea how I manage to solo sorties and beyond with her then. I must have been getting lucky all these years. Especially during the time before regen molt and focus schools existed.

I've clearly been here to long. I really don't even know what the communities standards for quality are anymore. I don't even think the community knows...

Edited by StinkyPygmy

39 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

80+ enemies aren't a problem. Without buffs like Sonar or Naramon she start to fall of among level 200 enemies imo (against armor that is, Corpus she can go all day long)
And what frame survives high level (700+) without some sort of cheesing?

38 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Dang, no Idea how I manage to solo sorties and beyond with her then. I must have been getting lucky all these years. Especially during the time before regen molt and focus schools existed.

How justified is a build that can solo Sorties when another frame can do it without any mods at all?

I seriously doubt you Solo "Far beyond" without Naramon on Saryn.

38 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

I've clearly been here to long. I really don't even know what the communities standards for quality are anymore. I don't even think the community knows...

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, esp when I've been playing longer than most founders.

Standards change with comparison to other frames and our own damage output compared to the enemy's changes.

In the current state of the game we can still easily dispatch enemies which can one-shot 6k eHP.  So building for eHP is a waste of time.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)ExetSM said:

80+ enemies aren't a problem. Without buffs like Sonar or Naramon she start to fall of among level 200 enemies imo (against armor that is, Corpus she can go all day long)
And what frame survives high level (700+) without some sort of cheesing?

Most frames without invisibility are going to start to cap out around lvl 300-400.

Saryn's damage capacity should take her to a similar spot as Rhino since a free Viral proc is similar to Roar. She could make it further if she could actually melee at that level with Condition Overload but she can't. So she has the damage capacity of lvl 300-400 and yet she can't stay alive to do that. She most certainty can't make use of her "Synergy" or Melee abilities which was my point of mocking her kit and modding for Defense since at best it's your evasion as a player which is keeping her alive past Sorties not her eHP.

Saryn is my favorite frame man, honestly i think she is the best the game has to offer. The way this frame works is "damage over time" as to "instant damage".

The way i build my Saryn is with max range, reasonable amount of power strength and a bit of efficiency. Damage over time with range will kill enemies all over the map that you don't even see. She scales great in endgame too. Saryn is bae:inlove: 

24 minutes ago, (PS4)SmallOh5 said:

Saryn is my favorite frame man, honestly i think she is the best the game has to offer. The way this frame works is "damage over time" as to "instant damage".

The way i build my Saryn is with max range, reasonable amount of power strength and a bit of efficiency. Damage over time with range will kill enemies all over the map that you don't even see. She scales great in endgame too. Saryn is bae:inlove: 

Read the first post plz... I know how "powerful" is Molt+Spore build... I want to make her melee with Toxic Lash.

25 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

How justified is a build that can solo Sorties when another frame can do it without any mods at all? I seriously doubt you Solo "Far beyond" without Naramon on Saryn.

Huh? What exactly does other frames being able to solo sorties without mods have to do anything? sure, you could also do that with saryn, but I'm not really sure what unmodded frames has to do with anything. I'm not sure why you would want to do anything even remotely high level without mods unless you are a severe masochist or deliberately gimping yourself. Regardless, thats a moot point. its completely irrelevant to the discussion.

That depends on what you mean by far beyond. The furthest I've taken her is about lvl 200 mobs and that was without naramon as I rarely use it.

30 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, esp when I've been playing longer than most founders.

Standards change with comparison to other frames and our own damage output compared to the enemy's changes.

In the current state of the game we can still easily dispatch enemies which can one-shot 6k eHP.  So building for eHP is a waste of time.

It means that the communities attitude has changed massively in the last few years and its perpetually caught in the meta echo chamber. The bar keeps getting arbitrarily pushed higher and higher and there is such a distinct lack of understanding among the community because of it. The standards are wonky and unrealistic, the bar is inconstant, and the assertions are mostly arbitrary. Considering a majority of the game is balanced up to around the lvl100 mark, using lvl 300 mobs as a standard for comparison is quite literally irrelevant when discussing the merits of content. Its just arbitrarily pushing the bar higher and higher as scaling is (almost) endless.

35 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Most frames without invisibility are going to start to cap out around lvl 300-400.

Re: Meta Echo chamber and the pointlessness of using arbitrarily high scaling lvls as a basis for a frames/weapons merits in a majority of the game.

Point is, I and many others manage just fine beyond what the game's content is balanced for and my personal experience tells me your assertion is grossly off the mark. Saryns been one of my mains since release, that has to count for something. I've been playing her religiously for long enough.

Honestly, the community has such a strong meta gaming culture thats so perpetually stuck in an echo chamber that half the time no one truly knows what a lot of content is capable of. They just repeat the same buzz words and quotes over and over again with next to no actual testing or experience themselves.

so far as melees go with her lesion and the new rapier with drifting contact and condition overload are crazy good.

using the rapier with the vulpine mask stance can get you 3 status procs on an enemy throw in viral from spore and you have a 240% damage buff if you use spore to give an enemy toxin as well and use say corrosive and heat on the rapier you can get a 300% boost.

with lesion it has a neat toxin mechanic builtin and can hit a number of enemies at the same time.

Edited by Wrum

1 hour ago, StinkyPygmy said:

Huh? What exactly does other frames being able to solo sorties without mods have to do anything? sure, you could also do that with saryn, but I'm not really sure what unmodded frames has to do with anything. I'm not sure why you would want to do anything even remotely high level without mods unless you are a severe masochist or deliberately gimping yourself. Regardless, thats a moot point. its completely irrelevant to the discussion.

It's not a moot point, It's a base of comparison.

You say a build is viable in a specific piece of content and I say it can be done without a build entirely on a different frame. How justified is said build at that point?

It's not masochistic at all either. I can jump in a Sorties M3 Survival using some frames with no mods on and rampage the place.

It means that the communities attitude has changed massively in the last few years and its perpetually caught in the meta echo chamber. The bar keeps getting arbitrarily pushed higher and higher and there is such a distinct lack of understanding among the community because of it. The standards are wonky and unrealistic, the bar is inconstant, and the assertions are mostly arbitrary. Considering a majority of the game is balanced up to around the lvl100 mark, using lvl 300 mobs as a standard for comparison is quite literally irrelevant when discussing the merits of content. Its just arbitrarily pushing the bar higher and higher as scaling is (almost) endless.

It's Power Creep. Not exactly the communities fault. 3 years ago lvl 80 might have been a good stress test for a build but these days we need lvl 300+ due to our outrageous damage output.

DE is not exactly consistent with their new or reworked content either. On one hand we get a Saryn Rework who's kit falls apart as enemies scale and on the other hand we get Oberon or Octavia who scale forever. DE balancing around lvl 100 is a community created concept. They've never once stated a level range when they add "end-game" content or rework something.

A Saryn with Steel Fiber, Rage, Vitality has 2,680 eHP add in QT and you have 7,936 eHP. a Saryn simply using QT has 4,537 eHP. Do you really think those extra mods are making much difference? And do you really think it's worth the risk to melee a lvl 80+ enemy?  or are you better off primarily using Molt + Spores and maximizing your build for those.

When making builds; it's not as much Can you do it, it's more, is it worth doing? After all balance in a PvE game can only ever hope to be about having competitive options and when I look at Saryn trying to melee or use ability damage. I don't see it. OP can try a melee Saryn but I feel they will be disappointed compared to our other options.

I don't think my assertion of her abilities are off at all. I simply have different standards.

14 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

It's Power Creep. Not exactly the communities fault. 3 years ago lvl 80 might have been a good stress test for a build but these days we need lvl 300+ due to our outrageous damage output.

ok but normal game content never gets that high lvl. the highest ive ever seen in a sortie is lvl 112. to get to 300 you need to play an endless mission for hours.

also the op was about how to make saryn fun not kill everything.

The only way to play her as melee is to use block. If block is set to toggle is will reset after every bullet jump, meaning all the time. So prepare to be holding the block button with one of your fingers for the whole mission. Of course, I'm talking higher levels, no point discussing the regular starchart. As for the build I think everybody agrees on max range: Overextended + Stretch + Cunning Drift. Survivability: Vitality, Primed Flow + QT. No need for efficiency, if you run Zenurik, so Blind Rage for more damage. Primed Continuity for longer duration. Last slot: Intensify / Transient Fortitude (however you wanna balance strength and duration) or Steel Fiber (for some more survivability). Corrosive Projection aura.

Edited by frohdoe

35 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

It's all good, but OP asked specific question about build and advise for Saryn + Toxic Lash. I still fail to see how it's related that you can solo sortie 3 without mods on some mysterious frame or how something else is better for level 300+

2 hours ago, Xzorn said:

It's not a moot point, It's a base of comparison.

You say a build is viable in a specific piece of content and I say it can be done without a build entirely on a different frame. How justified is said build at that point?

It's not masochistic at all either. I can jump in a Sorties M3 Survival using some frames with no mods on and rampage the place.

DE is not exactly consistent with their new or reworked content either. On one hand we get a Saryn Rework who's kit falls apart as enemies scale and on the other hand we get Oberon or Octavia who scale forever. DE balancing around lvl 100 is a community created concept. They've never once stated a level range when they add "end-game" content or rework something.

A Saryn with Steel Fiber, Rage, Vitality has 2,680 eHP add in QT and you have 7,936 eHP. a Saryn simply using QT has 4,537 eHP. Do you really think those extra mods are making much difference? And do you really think it's worth the risk to melee a lvl 80+ enemy?  or are you better off primarily using Molt + Spores and maximizing your build for those.

When making builds; it's not as much Can you do it, it's more, is it worth doing? After all balance in a PvE game can only ever hope to be about having competitive options and when I look at Saryn trying to melee or use ability damage. I don't see it. OP can try a melee Saryn but I feel they will be disappointed compared to our other options.

I don't think my assertion of her abilities are off at all. I simply have different standards.

Said build is perfectly justified as not only can the same be done with saryn but you are also using a comparison that is unrealistic and one based off deliberately gimping yourself. Something people generally don't do unless they are looking to challenge themselves. It's certainly not the norm nor is it relevant to the current discussion. More notably, what is there to justify? Most people play games for fun and not everyone has the same idea that all things must be min/maxed and boiled down to pure numbers and maximum output. For many, getting the job done is simply enough and Saryn does that and goes beyond, not unlike practically every frame in the game. Especially if you know what you are doing.

This isn't a discussion about min maxing. This isn't a discussion about what frame can go further and who is more efficient at what. OP asked for a decent Saryn melee build and tips on how to play her. People obliged.

Key word there: "Stress test". You know what stress testing means right? It generally refers to testing the limits of something and its reliability/longevity by taking it beyond circumstances and situations it is expected to or likely to be  performing in. Ergo power creep has absolutely nothing to do with the merits of a frame or weapon unless you are actually sitting down and discussing how far into the scaling hell hole something can reliably go in comparison to something else. OP wasn't asking about stress testing.

Except Saryn's kit doesn't fall apart as soon as you think and it certainly performs above balanced content. Something that is not a community created concept. Steve himself mentioned it in regards to a question long ago in one of the dev streams (I can't remember which one, it was ages ago) effectively stating that content is generally balanced around what players are expected to face often. In the wake of sorties and raids, that number has risen quite a bit, but it certainly is not lvl 200 and beyond enemies. You only need to to think about it for more than 5 seconds to piece that one together.

I'm not very concerned with the numbers. The results are all that matter to me and I've experienced first hand what saryn can do at high lvls with all sorts of builds including melee centric ones. Numbers are meaningless in the face of actually seeing what you can do. I couldn't care less about min/maxing nor is it, and I repeat, relevant to the topic at hand. The standards you are setting are ludicrously high and well beyond what OP was asking for.

Step out of the echo chamber for a few seconds and realise that people generally play games for fun. Playing the numbers game may be fun for some and that's fine, but it is certainly not the basis that everyone operates around.

But hey, we're just going have to agree to disagree. It won't stop me from turning Lvl 200 goons into a squishy puddle on the ground. 

Edited by StinkyPygmy

-snip-

Like I said, my standards are different that yours.

OP didn't set any standards, they mentioned that Saryn is too fragile to be a melee frame and asked if there was a way to make her less fragile and more effective and from my perspective the answer is No. I gave my opinion on how she basically is just a Spores machine and doing anything else would yield little results.

DE said they did not expect players to go to lvl 100 as a reply to when the Void was released and players were asking why they were being one-shot. They did not say any other standard or that it was outside reason and have even acknowledge endurance runners since then as a form of game play. There is no set balance level.... unless of course you think that lvl 100 is somehow a problem for Nekros' 62,780 eHP or Mesa's 300k DPS. Heh, Balanced for lvl 100... O-K.

11 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Might just be me misinterpeting your point, but seems like when you say "Can you do it" vs. "Is it worth doing?" you seems to contradict your own point. When you go level 200+ that is just a matter of how far can you push it, since that is endgame content (there is no need to go higher then sorites) which is then a matter of, in your words, "Can you do it". If your frame survive up til level 100, that is a matter of is it worth doing and everything beyond that is just a matter of how far I can push it.

10 hours ago, StinkyPygmy said:
14 hours ago, StinkyPygmy said:

I think your point is dead on. I do endgame content, because of the fun of exploiting and searching for new ideas, but that seems to impress people way more then going survivability in everyway on level 100 which is wrong, since endgame is just a matter of cheesing and endurance, which is not as impressive visuals give it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)ExetSM said:

Might just be me misinterpeting your point, but seems like when you say "Can you do it" vs. "Is it worth doing?" you seems to contradict your own point. When you go level 200+ that is just a matter of how far can you push it, since that is endgame content (there is no need to go higher then sorites) which is then a matter of, in your words, "Can you do it". If your frame survive up til level 100, that is a matter of is it worth doing and everything beyond that is just a matter of how far I can push it.

I was referring to competitive build options. The level range is just a byproduct of perfecting a build.

Why is there no need to go past Sorties?

Why pick a melee Saryn if a Spores Saryn does better and there are 10 or so better melee options that can actually survive long enough to make use of base weapon damage output. Lvl 200 isn't even base melee output. You can take a Galantine against fully armored Grineer (Hardest to kill Faction) and push lvl 300 without using any offensive abilities.

An immortal block of wood using Galantine Prime can perform longer than a melee Saryn. That's my point of a build being worth it.

Unlike what the other player said. Stress Testing is simply increasing strain over time. The point you're looking for is all your own. If you want to think it's beyond normal standards to go past Sorties. That's you but as I mentioned I have different standards and when I see those extra mods on Saryn amount to no improvement in performance then I simply won't use them and when I see an ability do nothing to enemies I simply won't use that either.

9 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

I was referring to competitive build options. The level range is just a byproduct of perfecting a build.

Why is there no need to go past Sorties?

Because nothing past level 100 is unique/new. To get arcanes the enemies are 80, to get sortie rewards the enemies are 100, to get relics enemies are 1-40 and so forth. everything beyond that is repetition and not something that is needed to be done to be able to enjoy everything the game has to offer, and as you said, that is a personal preference to go pass it for the fun of it, but once again, not smoething that is needed to aquire everything.
And I think you've gotten it backwards, because you build to adapt to level, not vice versa. My build for going level 10k on Ambulas event is not useful lower levels, it was specificly built to deal with that level.

Edited by (PS4)ExetSM