Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe becoming expensive to play ?

AlcatrazNC002

/!\ Disclaimer : may contain grammar and spelling mistake /!\

Hello

I've been playing warframe for a long time and i still play the game but recently since the rework of the Earth well... i can't really enjoy the game. Earth is place where i can pretty much farm relics, ressources and so forth but now with the rework well my FPS are dropping as fast as Ember's abilities to burn infested. The Harrow Quest was kinda painfull when i had to go on Earth because of that. Don't get me wrong the rework is really nice but i'm wondering if Warframe isn't becoming more expensive to play ? I'm playing on a pretty old PC but i've never had any real issue on the game and even now i still don't have issue with the game (except when playing on Earth) and i'm really looking forward the Open World DE plan to introduce in the futur . If i have those issue on Earth can i even expect playing on the futur Open world knowing it might be as beautifull as the Earth now ? Or can we expect some balance or change regarding low config PC ? 

I used to have problems playing on the Kuva Fortress, when it first came out. They've made it more efficient since then and I can play there now with very stable framerate. They'll tidy it up and polish the systems, but they can only get it so smooth. Eventually your (and my) PC will be unable to run it, but begging for them to stop improving the game won't be very healthy for the game in the long run, sadly.

Unfortunately the problem with long-running games like Warframe is that you can't stay at the same standard of performance forever. DE has done a fantastic job of optimising the game, but it's the sort of game where people notice bad graphics, and graphics get worse over time. New players are going to be turned off by a game that looks old and bad, and existing players enjoy expanded graphical features.

The best way to think about it is by comparing it to the specs of games that are coming out at the same time; if you can't run current games then you need to start thinking about upgrading for Warframe, even if they do quite well at optimising. Maybe if they hired the Source engine optimisation team, that will run on anything.

49 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC002 said:

/!\ Disclaimer : may contain grammar and spelling mistake /!\

Hello

I've been playing warframe for a long time and i still play the game but recently since the rework of the Earth well... i can't really enjoy the game. Earth is place where i can pretty much farm relics, ressources and so forth but now with the rework well my FPS are dropping as fast as Ember's abilities to burn infested. The Harrow Quest was kinda painfull when i had to go on Earth because of that. Don't get me wrong the rework is really nice but i'm wondering if Warframe isn't becoming more expensive to play ? I'm playing on a pretty old PC but i've never had any real issue on the game and even now i still don't have issue with the game (except when playing on Earth) and i'm really looking forward the Open World DE plan to introduce in the futur . If i have those issue on Earth can i even expect playing on the futur Open world knowing it might be as beautifull as the Earth now ? Or can we expect some balance or change regarding low config PC ? 

Coming back to warframe after a loooooong time and the first post i saw was this... I thought DE started changing P cost of items and now we had to pay for some stuff :p

Im pretty sure DE is good at optimizing stuff for low end PCs,just wait a few days (or weeks?) and they will optimize stuff, TRUST THY DE

Chances are they will just enable a tickable box to allow you to chose new or old earth textures.

Just be patient I guess.

But we can understand your concern about the open world map. Clearly, not everybody (i.e. only people with 1070 and above I guess haha) will be able to run it with the same settings as those we see in the gameplay preview.

35 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

Maybe if they hired the Source engine optimisation team, that will run on anything.

I would argue that Evolution is quicker than Source. Source games are normally incredibly fluid and optimized, but they are also graphically... dated, let's say. CS:GO looks ok, but there's not much RAM load (small maps, low number of entities). Any other game on Source (1) is pretty basic to look at. Warframe is an incredibly pretty game, with tons of entities on screen at a time. Evolution, in my opinion, is the smoothest and smartest engine I've seen in a while.

47 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

If your computer is struggling more and more as time goes on then all you can really do is get a better computer.

I try to keep my PC as long as possible but eventually, yes, you do have to get a new PC. I have played some new releases at very low graphics settings just to finish them (thinking specifically of Unreal 2, Doom 3 & Crysis (first one) back in the day) and then more and more come out that just refuse to run and you have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Husla said:

You should upgrade every 1-2 years anyways.

Unless you have disposable income, this is a bit much though IMHO. Bills still need to be paid each month.

28 minutes ago, Husla said:

You should upgrade every 1-2 years anyways. Every new game is going to use up more and more resources. Every developer wants to add more visuals, more content etc.

i think it's more every 3/4 years, unless you want to play every new game at maximum graphic settings

1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC002 said:

Or can we expect some balance or change regarding low config PC ? 

in last weeks DE staff was engaged with tennocon, i think that if we wait a couple of weeks we could hope for some change in the options to allow low end pc to run earth missions mrore smoothly

30 minutes ago, Husla said:

You should upgrade every 1-2 years anyways.

Heh upgrading every one to two years is a complete waste unless you have that much disposable income.  Those without the disposable income make them last as long as we can, then when they start to struggle, plan out a reasonable upgrade, recycle/sell old gear and repeat the process.   The usage time limit is set by performance and budget.   When it can flat out no longer play, and I can afford better, i'll upgrade.

Naturally the game will become heavier and heavier as time goes on as they try to make the game look better and better and there is only so much you can do to make it run on the low end.

DE is working on some systems for older PC's though based on Steve his twitter messages Like allowing the older lighting system to work on the plains (not the fancy directional lighting from TWW and Earth remaster) and view distance options that were never needed before.

Remember that low PC specs were made in consideration that the PC is performing well. Old PC will perform less than the standard performance and have hardware/software problems that DE can't fix through optimization. And forcing it to run games it barely support, will only make its life shorter.

You'll have to accept that PC isn't a lifetime equipment, sooner or later you'll have to get a new one.

6 hours ago, Husla said:

You should upgrade every 1-2 years anyways. Every new game is going to use up more and more resources. Every developer wants to add more visuals, more content etc.

This is the reality of PC gaming. It's upgrade or die. Sooner or later, a box will no longer be able to do what you want it to and it'll have to be replaced or upgraded.

However, there are a few paradigms of how to configure PCs when building and updating. If you don't mind the cost of admission, building bleeding edge rigs can have the benefit of spreading out the upgrade cycle, sometimes considerably.

My older box is eight years old and has only had one upgrade (vid card) during its life cycle. It still can run Warframe quite well indeed (max settings with very little framerate drop). My main concern with it nowadays is Win7 and many components reaching MTBF points (vid card being a case in point). However, this was a $2k machine when new (it was meant to run 1600p when that resolution was new and $2k was about what it took to do it at that time).

I used to build stuff to meet a $1200 price point. These machines ran on a 3-4 year upgrade cycle. They usually received substantial rebuilds or total replacement in this interval.

If you're building to minimum specs, then very frequent replacement/upgrade cycles should be expected.

Consoles are a bit of an exception to this, but even this paradigm seems to be changing (Xbox One >> XB1S >> XB1X in less than half a dozen years).

38 minutes ago, (PS4)Wicked_IronAngel said:

Well its a free to play game so im having a problem understanding y you cant afford to play, buy a PS4 I have no problems with the game on mine.

he says that the game is becoming expensive because if you have a low spec pc you need to spend to upgrade it to play wf, but that's normal in pc world, also because the more year a pc have the more stressed he become the more problems have to play, you can't hope to play a stressful game like warframe on the same pc at high quality with a 4/5 years old pc

btw i have a 4 years old laptop that i hope to have the possibility to replace asap with an other laptop or with a desktop one but atm i have not big problems, i play at min graph, i enjoy the game and have a bit of problems only on heart because i find myself at 40 fps instead of 60 and with +200MB or ram usage waiting for the improvement that will come now that tennocon ended

Optimisation for low end PCs is something DE does very well actually, proof being i can run this game with only moderate hiccups on a nearly 10 year old machine. 

That said it's generally a good idea to upgrade every so often. Personally i'm currently saving up for a total upgrade because of many other problems, but also because of the teased Landscape feature (the Plains of Eidolon) that imho will be a nail on the coffin for truly old machines. 

Pc's don't need to be upgraded that often.  Mine is 3 years old and can run the game on max settings at 1980x resolution.

While it's true that pc's need to be upgraded occasionally,  it's rare that you need to overhaul the entire rig.

Usually the first thing to look at is upgrading your video card.  This may or may not require you to also upgrade your  mobo.

If you're upgrading your motherboard,  it's always good to also upgrade the cpu along with it.

Typically memory and power supplies rarely need to be changed.

All these things can be done relatively cheap,  you don't need to get the latest and the greatest.  Two,  three year old tech is cheaper and will perform comparably.  An i5 will work just as well as an i7 when it comes to handling warframe.

Bottom line is,  pc gaming is still cheaper than buying a console.  Op should identify what his biggest performance bottle neck is and start from there.  Also there are often great deals for used and refurbished equipment.  If you're poor,  take advantage of such things.

I'm not expecting something like being able to run the game with ultra config . Right now i'm running the game with medium config i think, and it still really good. I don't really mind having the same graphic as "not reworked planet". But yeah I've been thinking about uppgrading my PC but I can't right now. Well i just hope i'll be able to enjoy the new content when it will come 

Unfortunately, as time goes on Warframe's requirements will continue to rise as they discover and add new technologies. Even a small upgrade ( a new GPU a series or two higher than what you have ) could increase your performance to an acceptable level if your budget is a little tight at the moment.

I try to build a PC that will last me, at most, 5 years; this gives me plenty of time of save up the required monies for my incredibly expensive hobby, lol.