Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Noob trying new warframes ?

Shadanwolf

Question

My character is rank 2  and around 17-18. I have completed most of the nodes on earth and some on Venus. I have a starter warframe

Excalibur(warframe) level 20

MK1-paris   level 20 (bow)

mk1-kunai rank 18(daggers)

mk1-bo rank 20(staff)

I'm fighting Ninja style.  fighting from range...sniping.....then staff and abilities for mele.I would like to try  playing as a caster/mage. What options are open to me to craft ANY mage like warframe given i can farm  earth  and some of Venus.  OR...do I have to wait to advance more before being able to try a new warframe ?

Your thoughts and suggestions please .

20 answers to this question

keep using excalibur hes a pretty decent frame. But if you want a caster like frame try oberon. hes a healer and damage dealer. also has decent cc.

as for weapons try getting the regular paris and bo. As for secondary get the lex. its 50k credits but its a pretty decent pistol. or if you want get the sicarus. its not the best but its cheaper than the lex. if you want a decent sniper rifle the vectis or rubico are 2 very good ones. the vectis is mastery rank 3 and rubico is 5.if you really feel confident in your abilities get a throwing melee like the glaive, cerata or kestral.

also a side note when using bows go for critical chance and damage.

Edited by Lith1313

With just Venus and Earth availabe, the only caster frame you will be able to get is Hydroid, the water mage/pirate. Not a very good frame right now, but you can expect some sort of buff for him sence the Prime version is coming out soon.

If you are a sniper then go for Bows or Sniper Riffles, ARs are a more verstaile option but won't deall as much damage long range due to accuracy and other stuff. For Bows I would recomend the Paris Prime (unleass you can't stand the look) or Dread, but if you feel like it go with Daikyu and renember to mod for fire rate. For Riffles the obvious choice is the Vectis, but the scope doesn't zoom in very far so maybe try the Vulkar. For ARs just go with the Boltor and don't ask why, you will love it I a promise.

A good sniper is never seen without a reliable sidearm, the Kunai used to be reall good back in the day, but now you would be better off with a pistol (not saying Kunai aren't good anymore, just not as god-like). You could go with a Lex but it would be better to pick something faster like the Vasto.

If you rely on your melee for CQC then you might need one with good AoE. I would reccomend Polearms, Staves, Tonfa, Schytes and maybe Dual Swords.

PS: Untill you have some of the neccasery mods, caster frames like Mag, Nyx, Hydroid and ect. really aren't a good idea. There is a big diffrence between a well modded Mag and a not well modded Mag.

As you keep playing, you will realize you will use and max to 30 every warframe and weapon you can get just no matter how crappy they are, just to keep leveling your account!  Chances are you will get Rhino first, since he's an easy farm on Venus.  Eventually, you can get a number of warframes from a Clan Tenno Lab.  This game is not like other action RPGs in that you are not stuck in one mode or with one type of role. By the time you reach Jupiter, you will likely have at least 3 warframes leveled to 30 and looking for more.

Part of the challenge in WF is to find stuff to keep the leveling moving. By Account rank 10, you should have everything unlocked and can start specializing for real.

I am new as well, but I'm Account Rank 8.  I like Paris Prime and Bows are great for stealthy missions.  Rifles are great for missions with huge hordes of OpFor.  Be flexible early on and do your best to keep fed with new weapons and frames constantly.  I started with Excal and thought he felt great. I havn't played him since he hit 30, because we have to keep leveling and a frame takes 25% of your affinity (experience) if it is maxxed or not.  Like I said, by the time you're rank 10 and likely before, you will have played and maxxed a dozen frames and weapons.

I think I will "potato" my Excal eventually, since it's a great feeling character. "Potato" is euphemism for Orikin Catalyst or Orikin Reactor. These items increase the mod capacity from 30-60 on weapons and frames, respectively, and will make you powerful enough for the outer planets.

Edited by SmoothPanic

Firstly, replace your weapons with literally anything. It's going to be better than any of the MK1 stuff.

Secondly, if you want a good caster frame, make your way to Saturn. You can get Ember that way. Very solid choice, if only for her 4.

To quote the former governor of California, "get your a$$ to Mars": Frost is the first "caster" frame you can get.

Get the regular bo and kunai blueprints from the market.  Build them.  Then, rank both to 30.  Buy another secondary (lex) and melee weapon to build as you rank them.  When the bo and kunai are at 30, unequip them and buy the blueprint for the tipedo; use the already-crafted bo and kunai to build the tipedo, which is a very good early staff.

If you want a caster get (as mentioned above) Ember

Other good choces are Saryn and Mag (these two are difficult to mod and play as but will reward you with hordes and hordes of dead enemies.

Get Volt from your clan dojo (join a clan if you already haven't, you can also get some very good weapons there)

21 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

With just Venus and Earth availabe, the only caster frame you will be able to get is Hydroid, the water mage/pirate. Not a very good frame right now, but you can expect some sort of buff for him sence the Prime version is coming out soon.

Hydroid is MR5, the OP appears to be only MR2. 

Venus drops Rhino so I suppose the first 'caster' is likely frost on mars as said or if you're in a fully researched clan you have options for zephyr, banshee, nezha and wukong which do give alternative fighting options although I wouldn't really class any of them as a caster frame, nezha and zephyr coming closest though. 

22 hours ago, Shadanwolf said:

What options are open to me to craft ANY mage like warframe given i can farm  earth  and some of Venus.  OR...do I have to wait to advance more before being able to try a new warframe ?

Your thoughts and suggestions please .

Every planet for the most part will give you an avenue to tryout a new warframe, with Earth & Venus so Hydroid (Earth) & Rhino (Venus). When you play each planet's Assassination mission against the planet's boss they'll drop one part of the warframe. Keep on going through the starchart to unlock more potential frames, keep an eye out on the in-game market to grab blueprints so you can craft weapons with your resources, try to join a Clan (Guild) and get access to clan-research specific warframes (Banshee, Nezha, Volt, Wukong, and Zephyr).

Out of those possibilities the frames that rely most on casting and are relatively very good are Volt & Banshee, though I encourage you to try as many as you can. If you have done all of Earth's nodes try obtaining Hydroid and then Rhino as you go through Venus. If you can join a good clan, you can access those others. Clans also have clan-exclusive weapons from all the factions so try to find one to make friends and ask questions!

Hello and welcome to Warframe! 

Before looking to change your weapons, please keep in mind that your mastery rank (your overall level for the account) is directly tied to the amount of weapons you use and gain affinity (experience) with.  To gain the max amount available, take all weapons, Warframes and companions to level 30, as well as completing every node on the planets.

That being said, please keep in mind that all suggestions made are based on personal preferences and experiences.

Here are some overall basics;

Level all items to 30 before ditching.  This will prevent the need to go back later on and relevel things.  

Check the wiki for drop locations of Warframes, weapons, mods, etc. - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Don't use your starter plat to rush things in the Foundry. 50 is enough to get 2 Warframe slots (they are 20p each) or some weapon slots (12p)

Your inventory for mods and spare parts is infinite.  You can sell duplicates for extra credits though.  When I started, I ran boss missions to get duplicate Warframe parts and sold them for 2,500 credits a part. It's a decent way of making fast credits. 

If you are interested in finding a new Warframe, in would suggest reading up on it in the wiki. 

Overall, I would suggest you burn through the weapons you can get with Credit a from the market place and get this out of the way.  This will give you a decent mastery rank bump and you won't have to deal with them later.

But, if you enjoy snipers, I suggest you look at Loki (he has an invisibility ability and a melee bonus while invis) Ivara and Banshee.  

Edited by MagPrime
I thought I did pretty good for such a large post using my stupid phone.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Hydroid is MR5, the OP appears to be only MR2. 

Venus drops Rhino so I suppose the first 'caster' is likely frost on mars as said or if you're in a fully researched clan you have options for zephyr, banshee, nezha and wukong which do give alternative fighting options although I wouldn't really class any of them as a caster frame, nezha and zephyr coming closest though. 

You forgot that volt is also in Clan Research.

Here's some of the best advice I can give you as a new player.  Once you get the Ether Daggers, DO NOT ever sell them.  You will never get them back.  They aren't the best weapons, but they are one of the best dual daggers.  Of which there aren't that many to begin with.  

You will thank me me later.  :D

Feel free to look me up in game, and I can assist you with some things or answer questions.  Welcome to Warframe young Tenno.

On 7/15/2017 at 0:06 PM, MagPrime said:

Hello and welcome to Warframe! 

Before looking to change your weapons, please keep in mind that your mastery rank (your overall level for the account) is directly tied to the amount of weapons you use and gain affinity (experience) with.  To gain the max amount available, take all weapons, Warframes and companions to level 30, as well as completing every node on the planets.

That being said, please keep in mind that all suggestions made are based on personal preferences and experiences.

Here are some overall basics;

Level all items to 30 before ditching.  This will prevent the need to go back later on and relevel things.  

Check the wiki for drop locations of Warframes, weapons, mods, etc. - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Don't use your starter plat to rush things in the Foundry. 50 is enough to get 2 Warframe slots (they are 20p each) or some weapon slots (12p)

Your inventory for mods and spare parts is infinite.  You can sell duplicates for extra credits though.  When I started, I ran boss missions to get duplicate Warframe parts and sold them for 2,500 credits a part. It's a decent way of making fast credits. 

If you are interested in finding a new Warframe, in would suggest reading up on it in the wiki. 

Overall, I would suggest you burn through the weapons you can get with Credit a from the market place and get this out of the way.  This will give you a decent mastery rank bump and you won't have to deal with them later.

But, if you enjoy snipers, I suggest you look at Loki (he has an invisibility ability and a melee bonus while invis) Ivara and Banshee.  

Thank you

On 7/15/2017 at 10:06 AM, DatDarkOne said:

Here's some of the best advice I can give you as a new player.  Once you get the Ether Daggers, DO NOT ever sell them.  You will never get them back.  They aren't the best weapons, but they are one of the best dual daggers.  Of which there aren't that many to begin with.  

You will thank me me later.  :D

My clan mate sold the ether daggers months ago before he finished leveling them and I've been giving him S#&$ ever since.  "Ha, ha, now you'll never be the same rank as me."  Last week, he contacted support and they gave him an ether dagger blueprint.  Never say never.

Anyway, mostly good advice here.  I would caution the OP not to think in terms of traditional RPG categories like caster, mage, tank, dps, etc when evaluating warframes.  Nearly all frames can fill multiple roles.  Get a Rhino and Frost as soon as possible.  They are good right out of the box even without a bunch of resources and rare mods.  Rhino has Iron Skin, a damage avoidance power which will let you tackle content that would otherwise be too tough.  Frost has Chilling Globe, a shield that can be cast over objectives you are supposed to protect, making defense, mobile defense, and excavation easy.  

Also, just my opinion, but bows are crap for beginning players. They take a lot of investment in terms of forma and rare mods to get good.  Every time I go help a beginning player who is on recruitment chat because they can't beat a boss, they have a Paris or Dread.  Get a Hek when you hit level 4.  Shotguns in general are easy to mod and are effective against bosses, even without a bunch of forma.

Edited by (XB1)ThermalStone

NYX. 

You can damage enemies, control their minds, make them fight each other, and absorb their damage and reflect it back at them. If you can get the Assimilate augment for it you can move while absorbing damage, but slowly, and do everything you normally can do such as use weapons, hack consoles, revive fellow tenno, open containers, etc. If you are lucky a more experienced clan mate might offer to give you the augment ;)