Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will parkour save you? Not if you aim-glide

TaylorsContraction

So we always hear the git gud never stop moving comments in threads. Generally I am fairly mobile, so I was wondering what these people mean. I've done many in-mission tests and in real scenarios when I'm surrounded, parkour rarely saves my squishy frame. Nonetheless I made a video of using parkour in the simulacrum. From all the testing I've done, it is definitely true that using parkour can keep you alive, but only in some situations (ie if you're doing a kuva flood on ceres in that tiny back-room you ain't got room to parkour).

One of the most surprising things I noticed was that aim-gliding is a death sentence. I don't know what the deal with aim-glide is, I was under the impression that when we aim-glide, enemy accuracy towards us goes down. Given all my testing that is very far from the truth. It would seem aim-gliding nets the same accuracy bonus to enemies as it does to players. Is this intended, or is it a bug with aim-gliding?

Video is below, and bottom line is, we just gotta git gud I guess...

Parkour isnt suppose to be a form of protection but of mobility. It might save you if your trying to move from one covered area to another but not for directly fighting enemies and wile in Mid-Air enemies do suffer reduced accuracy but that doesnt prevent them from hitting a few times, specially Grineer which use Hit-Scan weapons.
Fighting lvl 150 mobs in the Simulacrum isnt a usual game situation as the highest lvl mobs you would probably encounter is lvl 110 on Sorties 3 so you went way over your head for testing survivability on an unrealistic situation.
If your trying to apply this to set some record on Endless missions that is another situation and your obviously not going to be hopping around from side to side but staying at some strategic area to defend your self under cover.

41 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Parkour isnt suppose to be a form of protection but of mobility. It might save you if your trying to move from one covered area to another but not for directly fighting enemies and wile in Mid-Air enemies do suffer reduced accuracy but that doesnt prevent them from hitting a few times, specially Grineer which use Hit-Scan weapons.
Fighting lvl 150 mobs in the Simulacrum isnt a usual game situation as the highest lvl mobs you would probably encounter is lvl 110 on Sorties 3 so you went way over your head for testing survivability on an unrealistic situation.
If your trying to apply this to set some record on Endless missions that is another situation and your obviously not going to be hopping around from side to side but staying at some strategic area to defend your self under cover.

I get downed in sorties as fast as I did fighting level 150 enemies, so there isn't much difference. What you are saying is very contrary to what many say in threads here, that mobility is your only form of defense. We're not talking camping strats here which are substantially easier.

I can't say I know for certain what's going on here, though I'd assume that enemies have some small ability to lead targets, and the only thing that saves us is our ability to make hairpin turns midair, completely defying a number of the laws of physics, but the moment we head in the same direction for a short while, enemies will begin to lead us and gain increased accuracy. I could be wrong though. I haven't the slightest idea how AI is coded.

I will say that my recent experience levelling banshee and mag certainly seems to indicate that bullet jumping and rolling greatly decrease your likelihood of getting shot, but I didn't do much aimgliding as I was using miter for both of those levelling sessions... I usually dip in and out of scoped mode with miter, so not much aimgliding.

2 hours ago, Insizer said:

I could have sworn that the accuracy of an enemy is influenced by their level.  But I'm not sure so don't quote me.

It is. Though at a certain point they just become aimbots and after their level doesn't matter much when it comes to accuracy. If you recall your first mission (or just go there), you'll note, while standing still a lancer will land 1/20 shots.

My personal motivation for the test was the continual rebuttals to certain difficulties players have with git good, keep moving remarks. There are two such threads that are recent and hundreds that are not.

In the QT thread, a lot of players remark that if you just parkour, you won't even need Quick Thinking.

In my vid, the kind of parkour fighting is something I do in PvP where it works fine with limited targets. But do the people really use parkour to that extent to stay alive in every-day missions? Some players claim to stay in a mission for 3-4 hours and surviving on their hardcore parkour skills, and at 4 hours you're looking at enemies in the thousands of levels. Now of course it's safe to assume that they also use skills to whatever advantage they can, I just have a hard time believing that they aren't using a cheese strat.

The reason why mobility will save you isn't because of the mobility itself.  It's because moving fast will let you get from cover to cover quicker, giving less opportunity for the enemy to land unobstructed shots on you.  Move fast enough, and you can blitz past enemies before they have time to become alerted or draw a bead on you with their weaponry.

Mobility only directly reduces enemy accuracy when applied well against foes that don't have hitscan weapons.  Projectiles have a travel time, and although enemies are usually good at leading their targets, they aren't perfect and can't deal with someone rapidly changing directions and speed as fast as a Tenno can.  This weakness is particularly noticeable with the Corpus, since they have fewer hitscan weapons across their faction, and those they do have (Elite Crewman Flux Rifles, Fusion MOA heat rays, Railgun MOA shots) tend to be short-ranged or have limitations.  Abusing the weakness of projectile accuracy can save your life against Corpus Techs.

This is one of the reasons why Grineer are supremely dangerous at high levels - their preference for slug-throwing weapons means that they tend to have a lot more hitscan weaponry across their faction.  Coupled with their aimbot-like accuracy at high levels, they can tear you down ridiculously quickly no matter how fast you're going.  Worse yet, Grineer are excellent at area-denial attacks, making it harder to stay behind cover without taking damage - Nox, Napalms, and Hyekka Masters are all particularly adept at this tactic.

Aim gliding, in particular, tends to get you hit because you have a steady, mostly straight-line movement pattern that is very easy for the AI to hit or lead with projectile weapons.  Keep your glides short and change directions in the air as much as possible, and you'll take fewer hits against projectile enemies as the AI struggles to lead their shots properly.

Edited by Arkvold

Didn't see much rolling when airborne; and I roll then aim-glide a lot. I do have a custom config on keybinds and so I roll a lot in general with my setup, while airbourne and have different results.

Spoiler

0N5dZGc.png

Curious how rolling about, could affect your results?

4 hours ago, Littleman88 said:

The game is in fact a cover shooter after a certain point.  Moving fast is to move from cover to cover.  Most players can barely handle shooting without right click first.

I wholehartedly agree that the game is a cover shooter after a certain point, whether that cover be actual cover or a slew of cc abilities that prevents enemies from firing at you.

What do you want as an alternative? You have mobility, you have frame and focus abilities, and weapons all to fit to surviving. .you can survive with parkour, it really is a matter of sensing how to combine all of it as a whole. .One thing I don't like right now is enemy AI having outrageous aiming ability and one shots late into survival, but there's quite a few ways to get through the game. .I also roll while in air a lot. .if you set roll to your mouse wheel click or something similar you can aim the direction you want to roll while in mid air or cancel flights from moving forward, etc. .there's stun smash with certain melee abilities too. .they do need to fix survival though. .trying to go deep into it anymore is not really all that fun once they can one shot through shields and the rest. .try spin moves to sorta a "a d asd" kind of motion. .just practice

Edited by komoriblues

There's more to it than just jumping around. You also dance in and out of effective firing range of enemies and duck behind walls. A good strategy is to strafe to the side, pop a few shots off, strafe back to where you were, then repeat that until the enemies get too close, parkour out of the range of the heaviest enemies (or CC them if you have to-- areas can sometimes be cramped), then repeat the process.

Rolling is also essential in all cases.

Often what is meant by, "staying mobile," isn't literally, "never ever stop moving," but rather, "intelligently move from one temporarily safe and/or advantageous zone to the next."

Interesting that your results are showing aim gliding to be a killer, though. I've never experienced that, but I almost never aim glide when in a heavy combat situation and prefer to roll to get to where I'm moving to faster since cover provides a heck of a lot more defense than parkour.