Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upgrading Warframes to Prime?

ThebluedudKTX

I'm going to start off by saying I'm a new player. Like, brand spanking new. So take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

So I've really been enjoying WarFrame a great deal so far, and once I decided it was a game I wanted to keep spending time on, I decided to do some research on what WarFrames I wanted to pursue building. For everyone I liked, I found myself looking to see if it had a Prime version. Then, I found myself either planning to go for the Prime instead or choosing to ignore a Frame because it might get a Prime at some point, rendering my work obsolete.

I can't be the only one who feels this way, so I propose some kind of method to Upgrade a Warframe to be identical to a Prime, stat-wise. In order to keep the incentive to work for an actual Prime, the appearance of the upgraded frame would stay the same and a Warframe could only be upgraded once level 30 is reached on it. Or something. I dunno, I'm not a game designer (yet)  but I think the idea has merit. What do you all think?

Edit: Wow, I did not expect to get so many replies so quickly! Thanks everyone! Anyway, I do have one more question. The reason I was told Primes were far superior to regular frames is because of extra polarity slots making it a lot easier to deck them out with way nicer stuff. I'm wondering the validity of this statement?

Edited by ThebluedudKTX

You should get all the frames (vanilla or prime) for the simple reason of increasing your Mastery Rank. Sure, there will be frames that you like more and will use more, but you should give them all a go at some point.

As for your suggestion, I don't get it. If a Prime variant already exists, what possible reason is there to grant those stats to the vanilla? It doesn't make sense. 

Normal and Primed version do not have a huge difference in stats. The game changer are the MODS. The biggest incentive to upgrade is for the shiny.

E2A: I have kept and leveled, reactored, exilied, and 3+ forma-ed all versions of every warframe, I have no regret in doing so.

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName

Just now, ThebluedudKTX said:

What do you all think?

As a veteran, I can assure you that the difference between a Prime and a normal version, stat-wise, is almost laughable. With the possible only exception of Rhino's speed bump, every other frame only gains very minor improvements. 20 armour points there, 50 shields, and so on. The normal version of the warframe is not, in any way, obsolete.

Wanting Primes is all about the looks. In my clan there's MR24 people who still use their non-Prime version despite having the Prime version. Especially if they buy a deluxe skin.

The way I see it, you can do anything with non-Primed Warframes. And if you decide to work to get the Prime version, which is a considerable grind (or expense), you are rewarded with a very small stat buff and a shiny new look. But you don't have to.

here's the few things I can think of that Prime Frames have over the normal versions:

1. an almost negligible stat increase.

2. shiny and subjectivily improved appearance.

3. Baro Ki'Teer talks down to you less if you visit him wearing prime gear.

4. an energy boost from death orbs that, while nice, is only an issue if you play in the void alot, which with the new relic system is not that often for a lot of people

Edited by BaIthazar

What @Dhrekr said, Primes are nothing more than a Fashion Statement with very little to almost no significant increase in terms of stat differences. However, eventually you'll "need" to get all the frames (and weapons alike etc.) to increase your Mastery Rank. 

And i disagree with your idea of being able to upgrade normal frames to Primes. What's the point of Primes? If we're going by actual lore, Primes deserve the stat differences they have because in a sense, they are the first and the pinnacle of Warframes. The normal frames are just bland, blatant copies no better than the grineer themselves. So no, upgrading a normal frame to have the stats of a Prime would absolutely make no sense. 

-- Welcome to warframe though :clem:

So I know others have mentioned this,but the benefit to mastering an older warframe is for mastery rank.  The actual stats for most of them aren't too noticeably different from their regular form save for roughly one or two?  All the skills and base damage and/or concept remain the same from standard to prime.

31 minutes ago, Olianu said:

So I know others have mentioned this,but the benefit to mastering an older warframe is for mastery rank.  The actual stats for most of them aren't too noticeably different from their regular form save for roughly one or two?  All the skills and base damage and/or concept remain the same from standard to prime.

yes

I've always thought there should at least be the ability to transfer forma + reactor/catalyst from normal to prime warframes/weapons. Kinda don't have any reason to forma anything non prime at this point seeing as primes are generally better.

Not all Primes are tiny statistical boosts.

As mentioned, Rhino Prime's speed buff brings him to standard sprint speed and makes him strikingly fast for a warframe so tough.  Volt Prime has over six and a half times as much armor as regular Volt.  Ash Prime has nearly two and a third times as much armor as regular Ash.  Nekros Prime gains more than half again as much shield over his standard form (which is actually useful to him thanks to the damage reduction provided by Shield of Shadows).  Nyx Prime has over three times as much armor as regular Nyx.

These stat boosts are not inconsiderable, and make playing these 'frames significantly easier.  The difference between regular Warframes and Primes might seem small, but keep in mind that they're amplified by mods  Prime Warframes get more out of modding because their base stats are higher to begin with, and mods are multiplicative.  A 25-point difference in base energy might not seem like much, but at max level and with a maxed out Primed Flow, it's the difference between having 618 and 721 max energy on Oberon.  That's more than an entire, unstreamlined 4th power cast.

My advice to the OP is this: if the Warframe you want has a Prime version, and that Prime version is currently available, go for the Prime if you can.  You can always make the normal version later for mastery purposes, rank it up, and then sell it to get the inventory slot back.  It's much easier to rank Warframes later in the game.  There's nothing that says you have to make the normal version before you have the Prime.

If the prime version exists, but is vaulted, simply make the normal version, and hold off on throwing any reactor or Forma into it.  This way you can get the benefit of having the 'frame, and when the Prime version comes around again, you can just get it, sell your original, and rank the Prime.

Naturally, if no Prime version of your desired 'frame exists, just get the normal one, and enjoy it thoroughly.  If a Prime version shows up later, just upgrade.  Sure, you might lose a reactor and a couple forma, but in the grand scheme of things, those aren't too hard to come by.

There's no point in DE allowing people to 'upgrade' a normal frame into a Prime, or even Prime-like, state.  If people can just upgrade regular frames to be just as good, and then slap skins on them, there's no point in selling Primes on Prime Access.  May as well make the Prime version a simple skin.

Edited by Arkvold

All right, I'd say I've armed myself with enough knowledge on this all, and have come to terms with Primes for better and worse. I think I actually rather like them, all in all. Gives me something big to work toward. 

But uhhhh... If anyone from DE.is reading this, please never never ever make an Equinox Prime. I'm having a bad enough time getting the regular one.

13 minutes ago, ThebluedudKTX said:

But uhhhh... If anyone from DE.is reading this, please never never ever make an Equinox Prime. I'm having a bad enough time getting the regular one.

I'm sorry to say, but DE said that all frames are eligible for Prime version. Yes, equinox was quite bad, and yes, people are already dreading for Equinox Prime.

15 hours ago, ThebluedudKTX said:

All right, I'd say I've armed myself with enough knowledge on this all, and have come to terms with Primes for better and worse. I think I actually rather like them, all in all. Gives me something big to work toward. 

I will farm Equinox Prime. No matter what, I will get her. Not you nor time can stop me from getting her.

• 2 weeks later...