Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Those freaking base status mods...

(XBOX)MuffinWizrad

Question

Though I've missed it many times, I finally had a revelation while going through my mods and selling duplicates. I'm sure this has been brought up or mentioned in some way already, but I have to ask just to see if I'm missing anything here:

What in the heck is up with the mods that just increase base status by 15%? There are 4 of them: Melee Prowess for melee weapons, Rifle Aptitude for rifles, Shotgun Savvy for shotguns, and Sure Shot for pistols.

They seem completely defunct. Not to the point of "you shouldn't use them at all", though that is certainly true, but more to the point of "they serve no purpose and are never used and probably don't even belong in the game period". Any of the elemental 60/60 mods proves the point, and proves it well. At max rank, any of these base status mods costs 7-9 mod drain. The 60/60 mods take up the same 7-9 mod drain, but provide +300% more status (no, I'm not joking), AND give your weapon's damage a 60% elemental boost. And there are also mods like Hammer Shot, which do less in the status chance department, but provide a nice little boost to crit damage.

So what am I missing? Do they have any purpose at all? And if so, could someone please explain it to me? Because I really just don't get it...

17 answers to this question

Just now, (Xbox One)MuffinWizrad said:

What in the heck is up with the mods that just increase base status by 15%? There are 4 of them: Melee Prowess for melee weapons, Rifle Aptitude for rifles, Shotgun Savvy for shotguns, and Sure Shot for pistols.

They are here because they predate all the other status chance mods. DE is not really into changing/removing mods.

Yes, they are pointless? But so what? I mean, ever used the mod Warm Coat?

6 minutes ago, krc473 said:

They are here because they predate all the other status chance mods. DE is not really into changing/removing mods.

Yes, they are pointless? But so what? I mean, ever used the mod Warm Coat?

That's true. I guess.... I don't know. It seemed like these were outdated to the point where something should just be changed about them. Maybe boost them to 50% or so? I dunno. It just really started to bug me. Even if they're a free 5-10 endo when I grind them into little tiny pieces, it seemed like these in particular just didn't have a place in the game anymore.

Warm coat might work if you were in the Kela De Thaym fight (though you'd never bring it because there are tons better mods) or on Europa's tileset, but I get what you're saying about there being a bunch of other mods that don't have a purpose either.

Edited by (XB1)MuffinWizrad

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)MuffinWizrad said:

That's true. I guess.... I don't know. It seemed like these were outdated to the point where something should just be changed about them. Maybe boost them to 50% or so? I dunno. It just really started to bug me. Even if they're a free 5-10 endo when I grind them into little tiny pieces, it seemed like these in particular just didn't have a place in the game anymore.

Warm coat might work if you were in the Kela De Thaym fight (though you'd never bring it because there are tons better mods) or on Europa's tileset, but I get what you're saying about there being a bunch of other mods that don't have a purpose either.

Even if they increased the mods to 50% or so, I cannot imagine people would use them anyway. There are still better mods.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:23 PM, (Xbox One)MuffinWizrad said:

Doesn't work in either of those instances. The mod literally only starts to function at all if you get one of those randomized "halved shields" weather effects

On 14-9-2017 at 8:15 AM, (Xbox One)MuffinWizrad said:

Though I've missed it many times, I finally had a revelation while going through my mods and selling duplicates. I'm sure this has been brought up or mentioned in some way already, but I have to ask just to see if I'm missing anything here:

They seem completely defunct. Not to the point of "you shouldn't use them at all", though that is certainly true, but more to the point of "they serve no purpose and are never used and probably don't even belong in the game period". Any of the elemental 60/60 mods proves the point, and proves it well. At max rank, any of these base status mods costs 7-9 mod drain. The 60/60 mods take up the same 7-9 mod drain, but provide +300% more status (no, I'm not joking), AND give your weapon's damage a 60% elemental boost. And there are also mods like Hammer Shot, which do less in the status chance department, but provide a nice little boost to crit damage.

So what am I missing? Do they have any purpose at all? And if so, could someone please explain it to me? Because I really just don't get it...

they aren't pointless, if you look at how status chance and the distribution of chance over the status procs you would understand my point. however i have to admit they aren't as usefull as similair mods such as dual stat mods. but they are like many mods just not that populair, doesnt ,mean they're useless.

31 minutes ago, redante36 said:

they aren't pointless, if you look at how status chance and the distribution of chance over the status procs you would understand my point. however i have to admit they aren't as usefull as similair mods such as dual stat mods. but they are like many mods just not that populair, doesnt ,mean they're useless.

I mean... maybe at the beginning of the game when you don't really have any other mods, sure. And I suppose if you wanted to up status chance without adding an element, there's that. But even at a low level... like... 5-7 on venus or so, once you run a spy mission and you get all the extractions and end up with one of those 60/60 mods, which use as much or less mod capacity AND add damage (even if it's elemental), the reason to use them just drops rapidly.

Changing them to flat additive in stead of multiplicative increase would make them must more powerful and would allow some weapons with nearly 0 status to become status weapons indirectly via RoF of AoE. It could be great as it would bring some old or under-powered weapons up, but it wold also super charge some meta weapons.. 

5 hours ago, Maelstrom980 said:

Changing them to flat additive in stead of multiplicative increase would make them must more powerful and would allow some weapons with nearly 0 status to become status weapons indirectly via RoF of AoE. It could be great as it would bring some old or under-powered weapons up, but it wold also super charge some meta weapons.. 

And that's what gets me. The obvious 'fix' (if you want to call it that) seems like either raising their percentage, or making their increase additive to base status chance. But it's like you said: it'd be great for some less used weapons, but it would make some of the already really powerful weapons really stupid.

That's what grinds at me. There's no best way to change them. There isn't even a good way to change them. And as they are they don't seem to provide much help to any weapon. And if we're all honest, if a future patch's notes say that they'll be removing those mods from the game completely, no one is gonna bat an eyelash.

They might have some really obscure use for very specific weapons like one of the previous posters had said, but I just don't understand what those uses are. For me, i ended up asking 2 questions: "When was the last time you saw any youtube build or warframe builder link using those mods? Moreover, when was the last time you used those mods?"

I couldn't answer either of them.

11 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Could you give an example?

Because giving up a Mod slot purely for Status Chance doesn't seem OP at all to me
(not least compared to a powerful Riven, for what that's worth when talking about balance lol).

I think he means if it boosted base status chance. If that was the way the mods worked, then... well... consider Soma Prime. We normally use it for crits. But if a mod like that increases base status (rifle aptitude for example give a max status chance boost of +15%), now its base status is 25% on top of a crit of 30% and a crit multplier of x3.

Putting all the 60/60 mods would bring you up to 80% status. Even if you only put 2 of them on, that still raises your status chance to an astounding 55%. That on top of the crit stats and Soma Prime's fire rate would be interesting to say the least. We would sacrifice the crit damage, yes, but having something that nearly perma-procs blast or viral (with all the bullets its spraying) would be pretty damn strong.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)MuffinWizrad said:

Putting all the 60/60 mods would bring you up to 80% status.

Base status increases (whether that's intended or a bug) don't scale with status chance Mods.

And as for a status + crit hybrid ammo hose, we kinda already have that, a well-Riven'd Prisma Grakata can get insane :D

@NinjaZeku is correct.  You can see this by looking at the augment mods that increase status chance.  For instance, the mod for the Supra gives a flat additive bonus of 30%, but it's added on to the final status chance value at the end.  And, no one seem to be saying that the Supra is a status monster, even though it can hit about 50% status with multishot and the augment, with a really high fire rate.

I think with status, your elements matter (duh), so for example if you want 100% status on a shotgun u need to get corrosive and blast, it’s a fact...but if you had a status only mod, you can get 100% status with corrosive and heat/cold which is better than blast

basically it’s a troll by DE, that’s my guess xD