The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it just me or Warframe likes to put the same frames (e.g. Frosts with Frosts) in the group?

royallyTipsy

Especially annoying with excavation. For some reason, whenever I take a Frost, I get at least one other, and the parties with 3 Frosts are not uncommon. On the other hand, if I take anything but the Frost, I am almost guaranteed to get into a party without one. (Bonus points if the game gives you a "duplicates" of some different frame too.)

I am aware of this tricky thing called confirmation bias, but it honestly seems like something is broken here.

4 minutes ago, Cris0407 said:

The chain is EXCAVATION.

People like to take Frost to this type of mission...

This is the point. Obviously a Frost is almost essential to having a trouble-free Excavation run, but somehow I can never rely on there being a Frost unless I take one. On the other hand, having a party with three Frosts can get really stale.

4 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I cannot say that I have ever noticed this.

Lucky you. ._.

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

problem

It's not really a "problem". I was just asking to see if RNG may in fact be actually screwed here. Some of my friends agreed with me when I shared this thought, so I thought it was worth it asking a wider public if anyone noticed the same pattern.

I think this is just a matter of mission type and perceived needs for that mission. Frost fills that perceived need, so he's going to be selected by many queuing up to do the mission. After all, you have no idea who is going to bring what to a PuG.

I've been in groups with four Saryns (pity the grineer), four Valkyrs (really pity the grineer), and, once, three Trinitys. It happens, but it's rare enough to be remarkable.

16 hours ago, PsiWarp said:

Twitch Prime with Prime... Frost Prime is as common as starter Warframes until the promo ends.

Not to mention, Frost And his Prime variant are one of the most well rounded, generally useful frames in the game. I main Frost Prime much of the he, and never regret running him. So this helps explain the prevalence, somewhat.

17 hours ago, royallyTipsy said:

Especially annoying with excavation. For some reason, whenever I take a Frost, I get at least one other, and the parties with 3 Frosts are not uncommon. On the other hand, if I take anything but the Frost, I am almost guaranteed to get into a party without one. (Bonus points if the game gives you a "duplicates" of some different frame too.)

What happens is people bring what they think is best.

17 hours ago, royallyTipsy said:

I am aware of this tricky thing called confirmation bias, but it honestly seems like something is broken here.

Nothing is broken.

On 22/9/2017 at 7:26 PM, royallyTipsy said:

is it just me, or football teams hire only football players?

To put it mildly.... you are thinking backward. Its no coincidence, because every mission type atract certain types of frames. Just like spy missions allways have an ivara/loki/ash in it, and every excavation/def/mobile def has a frost/limbo/volt.

@Troll_Logic, @Soki01@el_chanis and most everyone who has answered already or will think of answering this:

I appreciate the attention, but. People. My original post wasn't about getting too many Frosts. It is obvious that Frosts are going to be popular on that mode, I am not stupid enough to not see this.

My post was about (possibly) skewed RNG. When I DON'T want another Frost because I am one, it gives me two more. When I DO want another Frost because I took a damage frame it gives me three other damage frames.

So please. Adding another comment about how "oh many Frosts are nothing unusual" is not helping my original question.

24 minutes ago, royallyTipsy said:

@Troll_Logic, @Soki01@el_chanis and most everyone who has answered already or will think of answering this:

I appreciate the attention, but. People. My original post wasn't about getting too many Frosts. It is obvious that Frosts are going to be popular on that mode, I am not stupid enough to not see this.

My post was about (possibly) skewed RNG. When I DON'T want another Frost because I am one, it gives me two more. When I DO want another Frost because I took a damage frame it gives me three other damage frames.

So please. Adding another comment about how "oh many Frosts are nothing unusual" is not helping my original question.

have you effectively tested this? took the time to check 100 missions straight for each type, and with each frame? because if you don't, as Hitchens said... "what is asserted without evidence, is dismissed without evidence"

I get what your saying... Though I prefer matchmaking based on connection rather then what type of frame. There are situations where having two or more of the same frame can come in handy. John prodman. Loki and spy missions. We tend to use the best warframe for the job.

Edited by (PS4)goodboxgonebad

I doubt DE would make a complex algorthm that matches you with identical frames, as it would be counter-productive to making proper, well balanced teams.

If an algorithm like you suggest would exist, unless it's absolutely broken ,it would try to spread the frosts in excavation games so that there is always one in parties, to guarantee each group has at least one member capable to protect the objective at all times.

I think it's just confirmation bias... Most of the time, people bring frosts to excavations in public because they don't want to be stuck in a game with nobody capable to protect the pod, which explains why you often get matched with 2-3 frosts. as for the zero frost groups, it's just more noticeable because , well, when the party is badly balanced and doesn't have people to make the game mode go flawlessly, you notice it.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

If an algorithm like you suggest would exist, unless it's absolutely broken

Technically, I guess this is my running theory (for the case where it is not my own confirmation bias). So instead of matching different frames it matches similar ones. I wouldn't really think twice of it if we didn't have precedents like Chesa...

Edited by royallyTipsy

1. some frames get used much more by the playerbase for given mission types.  you're likely to see lots of Frosts in defense, mobile defense, or excavation because Frost works well on those.  just like you'll see lots of Lokis and Ivaras on spy missions, Limbos on rescue missions, Embers on exterminate missions, etc.

2. Frost Prime right now is enjoying increased popularity due to the recent 'Prime with Prime' Twitch promo.  so in general, there have been more Frost Prime users, since his availability to newer players (who may not have many prime frames at all) has lately been higher.  this will settle down over time.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, (PS4)goodboxgonebad said:

Loki and spy missions.

In my experience of the few times I do pub spy missions Loki usually equals a failed vault.  Just saying.  :D

To OP, this is an interesting phenomenon you've brought up.  I might have to try testing this out later today.