Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guide to EIDOLON SLAYING! (Incomplete, will be updated over time)

NaughtyKat

Thank you for all your input guys! I just woke up and I'm glad to see this thread has a lot of useful tips and info already, and I'll be updating the post soon with all of your input, and I'll watch the video as well!

@Sandhoof why do you sugges Shield Disruption? Does it really affect the Teralyst's shield, making it smaller and easier to strip away with the Void Beams? If so, that is amazing!

42 minutes ago, NaughtyKat said:

Thank you for all your input guys! I just woke up and I'm glad to see this thread has a lot of useful tips and info already, and I'll be updating the post soon with all of your input, and I'll watch the video as well!

@Sandhoof why do you sugges Shield Disruption? Does it really affect the Teralyst's shield, making it smaller and easier to strip away with the Void Beams? If so, that is amazing!

yes saw it today in a livestream on twitch.tv the results were OP.

13 minutes ago, Sandhoof said:

yes saw it today in a livestream on twitch.tv the results were OP.

I think the shield part of the Eidolon was rather small, ain's using 4 CPs is actually better? or just rifle amps and stuff or maybe did u mean using 4 SDs and corrosive weps? correct me if i'm wrong, still a newbie at this.

I have updated the post again with a major update, incorporating all of your feedback as we all as my own findings on how the Synovias work from my latest run. I encourage everyone to read it and to add anything else they know that isn't already covered, especially if it's related to the Vomvalysts, the Lures, and the Teralyst phases after the first two! Thank you!

Edited by NaughtyKat

3 hours ago, Edgeklinge said:

I think the shield part of the Eidolon was rather small, ain's using 4 CPs is actually better? or just rifle amps and stuff or maybe did u mean using 4 SDs and corrosive weps? correct me if i'm wrong, still a newbie at this.

would still require you to widdle down the shield with operator beams for awhile

3 hours ago, Edgeklinge said:

would still require you to widdle down the shield with operator beams for awhile

The glowing orbs in the joints after destroying them periodically spit out an explosive(?) that leaves an AoE puddle behind. At stage 2 or 3 it gains the meteor shower attack (as I like to call it) and at the end of stage 4 it'll try to pull in a LOT of vomvalysts to presumably heal itself. Then you can damage it ANYWHERE, not just the head and it did the massive vomvalyst pull (which makes it invincible too) again when it was on low hp. I managed to solo 2 stages with an experimental loadout which told me this: vomvalyst shield regen tether can only be done in physical form, and they can regen from energy to physical after a while (I think). 4x shield disruption is a great help and speeds the fight up tremendously.

The glowing orbs in the joints after destroying them periodically spit out an explosive(?) that leaves an AoE puddle behind. At stage 2 or 3 it gains the meteor shower attack (as I like to call it) and at the end of stage 4 it'll try to pull in a LOT of vomvalysts to presumably heal itself. Then you can damage it ANYWHERE, not just the head and it did the massive vomvalyst pull (which makes it invincible too) again when it was on low hp. I managed to solo 2 stages with an experimental loadout which told me this: vomvalyst shield regen tether can only be done in physical form, and they can regen from energy to physical after a while (I think). 4x shield disruption is a great help and speeds the fight up tremendously.

18 hours ago, NaughtyKat said:

After a Synovia is destroyed, in its place is a swirling orb of blue energy which doesn't seem to be of any importance.

These are used by the Lures and seem to slow down the movement of the Teralysts when powered. This is not entirely confirmed but from my 2 runs with the second with a completion in around 25-30 minutes this is what we were using the lures for. Unconfirmed but use a lure for every one you have broken as i don't believe the effect stacks on a single Synovia.

18 hours ago, NaughtyKat said:

Killing them all does not seem to be a feasible solution to this problem since they seem to respawn indefinitely in the Plains at night. It seems that the only way to permanently disable this is to use an Eidolon Lure. If you have more info on this please post it.

It is possible to kill them all just need to focus on the ones that have a beam attached to them to stop the shield regen as fast as possible and then clear all the remaining ones. Once that is done they will not regen the shield a second time so you can just take down the next phase.

Killed one.
I sat at about 200-300m range with a Vectis Prime for pretty much the entirety of the fight and was completely safe from everything the Eidolon was trying to dish out, which allowed me free reign to deal 60% of the teams damage through 100% safe constant and sustained dps.

Snipers and/or an Opticor seem to be the way to go, unless someone has discovered something even cheesier.

Edited by Haif

Just killed my first Eidolon today. The thing is an absolute bullet sponge. Here's what helped me:

• Shield Disruption does, in fact, affect the Teralyst's shield. Run it on a four-player team, have each player also equip Coaction Drift (which boosts the strength of the aura), and the Teralyst will have essentially no shields, practically eliminating one of the tougher parts of the fight.
  • Titania is extremely effective. In Archwing mode (which, by the way, counts kills as actual Archwing mode achievements in Plains), she evades almost all attacks, making her even more durable than many actual tank frames in this instance. Additionally, her Dex Pixia deals absolutely massive damage to the Eidolon for some reason, allowing you to shred through a phase in only a few minutes.
  • The Teralyst is weak to radiation damage. Not by all that much, but every little helps. Additionally, the thing is proc immune, so building for status has no effect on it.
  • If you want a support frame, Trinity is in fact not that good. She cannot target the Teralyst with EV, so she'll mostly have to target the Vomvalysts instead, and if they die their first death while EV'd, the ability will simply be interrupted, rather than completed all at once as per normal.
  • The Teralyst has five total phases: in the first four, you'll be focusing a part of their body (their Synovias, i.e. the armored joints on their knees and arms), and in the fifth the Teralyst will first summon an army of Vomvalysts to heal itself, then fight a final stand. After each Synovia is destroyed, the Teralyst will channel a massive radial explosion, which you should step about ~100m away from to avoid, then drops a few Sentient cores and teleports to another nearby location, whereupon you resume combat. Upon death, the Teralyst will drop an Eidolon Shard (and not a Brilliant Eidolon Shard, though I have no idea how that can be earned).

As a side note, I have absolutely no idea what the Eidolon Lures are supposed to do. I suspect they might be there to store energy to empower the Operator's beam, but I haven't been able to make use of them, and it feels like they may be bugged right now.

Killed one a little while ago.

A few things to note:

• The blue orbs that appear when a limb is destroyed shoot projectiles of their own outside of the Teralyst's normal attack pattern.
  • Only Vomvalysts in their regular, non-blue form appear to be able to regenerate the Teralyst's shield. It may be advisable to have someone bring an AoE weapon to pop them as soon as they begin the shield recharge.
  • Eidolon lures will tether the blue orbs on injured Teralysts after they have absorbed enough Vormvalyst drops. I don't know what this does. Only one lure is able to tether to each orb. The Quills guide informed me that more were needed but the Teralyst is efficient at killing them and I was unable to bring multiple in once more orbs were revealed.
  • Many of its attacks seem to do percentile damage. I was playing with a friend who was using an inaros and for certain attacks (notably the stomp) both he and I were dying in a similar number of hits despite a vast EHP difference.
  • After all of the limbs have been destroyed, the Teralyst is downed. After a wave of Vomvalysts it will stand up and be fully vulnerable to regular weapons fire across its entire body. During this phase it does have a head, however, headshots deal no additional damage.

All the input this thread has been getting is amazing! I'm too tired right now to update my original post but I'll update it tommorow, but I wanted to say that I've finally achieved my first Teralyst kill (with a full squad of course) and it seems that having high damage-per-bullet weapons like the Opticor is absolutely mandatory in order to kill the boss in a reasonable timeframe before the sun rises. 4x Shield Disruption is very helpful and makes the level of Amps being used not matter, but I wonder what kind of effect would 4x Corrosive Projection have and whether that would be better overall because it may shorten the time spent shooting at the Synovias and at the boss's final form.

I'll be completely overhauling the post soon to make a proper, well-structured guide on how the entire bossfight works now that most of the info is known, apart from what exactly the Lures do. However the Vomvalysts aren't that big of a problem as only some, the ones glowing blue, will heal him and are easy enough to dispatch before they amass.

P.S.: I find it interesting that this update has only been out for like two days and already a meta has formed on the loadout for defeating the Teralyst that most everyone is following - 4x Shield Disruption + Opticor / Sniper (+ Titania / Mesa). It's definitely an effective combo, but still interesting to see how fast information travels.

I 2 manned a teralyst today. One of use was using a Shield Disruption aura and the other CP. One was using an Opticor the other was using a Tigris Prime and a Pandero. Between the 2 of us we found that the best damage you can get is Radiation combined with a high crit chance/damage. The opticor was doing 8.7k+ damage (without a serration but a 200% riven mod). The last phase was really painful until we realized we didn't have to kill the Vomvalysts just had to stop the shield regen.

Personally I think that running 1-2 Shield Disruptions and 2-3 CPs is the best best for fastest fights (with a Coaction Drift for added bonus to auras).

My team was using four Shield Disruptions, very high dps weapons, and a tank (me, as Assimilate Nyx), EV, buff, and Limbo. We killed the Eidolon with minimal yet reasonable effort within 15 minutes. It was like a tough but nice boss fight. 

Make sure that no one uses Coaction Drift or it will mess with the phase progression. Sometimes you'll have to Void Beam the Eidolon to get the next stage going or remove that 1% of shields left, but still. 

A few things I've learned while fighting these monstrosities, they're more tips for time spent in operator mode. Mind you these are suggestions, not inviolate commands.

1) Void Mode (Crouch) Is Your Friend

Been in plenty of fights where other players just run in, shoot, get slapped upside the head and despawn... then they do it again... and again... and again. Void mode is your "Nuh Uh"  trick that lets you more or less ignore all damage being put out while you're hiding. This is especially useful during some of the huge AoE cycles, such as the bouncing ground quake shock waves and the large artillery barrage. The yellow stomp shock wave WILL still send you flying though. This is also handy for fighting the glow bugs (s'what I call em anyways), as you can simply ignore their mini-rhino charge, spin around and laser them in the proverbial face.

2) Park Your Frames Out of the Way

This one SHOULD seem obvious, but then I see a lot of people dropping their battle pants right down in front of the Teraliths. This is bad largely because as soon as your operator gets facehated and vanishes, your frame is gonna be stuck there for a second or two while you get your bearings...and that's when you have a very good chance of being slapped upside the head with a giant sentient di...oor knocker. I find it's best to park 20-30m out of the way so when you need to refresh your operator, you have a moment to get your bearings then charge back in. Also note, you can drop energy and health restores by your frame, then run off and do an operator phase and your frame will have benefited from the healing and refueling while you were out lasing things.

3) You Can Res Teammates in Void Mode

This is a big one. I've seen it happen a lot. Someone goes down, someone else runs over to res, and gets laid out right next to him. Solution? Operator Void Mode, then res, allowing you to scrape your buddy off the ground with no interruptions.

4) Void Dashing Ignores the Knock Back Shock Wave

You have to learn the tells and motions, but once you get it down, you'll more or less be able to never get sent flying. Not much else to say.

On the tail end, a suggestion for the last phase when you're getting swarmed by glow bugs. Have a wide-area damage frame keep the idiot balls knocked into their ghost form and have at least one operator amp lasing them in the still-proverbial face, as once they go into ghost form, they vaporize quickly... kinda like playing Pac Man.

...wait. I see what you did there, DE.

Edited by Syncronocity

On 10/13/2017 at 11:44 AM, NaughtyKat said:

[UPDATED with input and additional findings]
[UPDATED again, with input from other commenters and my own new findings from two additional Eidolon runs]

Hello, I am starting this thread to report my findings on the Eidolon enemies so far in order to help fellow Tenno to defeat them more easily. This is my first forum post so I hope I am posting it in the right place and that its up to par. This is currently incomplete as I haven't survived a full fight with a Teralyst Eidolon yet but I will try to update it and I encourage all of you to add your own input to it. Notes in italics will be used to signify things which need further research.

Please also keep in mind that this post will contain indirect spoilers for The Second Dream, The War Within and Saya's Vigil (the Glassframe quest), so if you haven't completed all three of those yet I advise you not to read this yet.

DEFINITIONS

So first off let's define the terms we'll be using. Eidolons or Eidolon Sentients (also called Spectral Sentients) are a special new type of enemies only encountered in the aptly-named Plains of Eidolon at night. The Eidolons are worn-down Sentient drones, "fragments" of a dead Sentient who was slain in an ancient battle taking place on the Plains, like how the Oculysts, Conculysts and Battalysts are "fragments" of Hunhow. The Eidolon term refers to the fact that they are not fully alive but not fully dead either, and they also differ from other Sentient enemies we've encountered so far in that they don't seem to have the ability to adapt to damage types, possibly due to their "undead" state. They come out at night, with the goal of trying to re-assemble their dead master and neutralizing all who stand in their way. There are two types of Eidolons: the towering mecha-kaiju shown in the PoE trailers are called Teralysts, while the small hovering drones that accompany them are called Vomvalysts.

Another addition with the Plains of Eidolon update is the Quills syndicate, which can be accessed after completing all three afore-mentioned quests by walking up the side-trail to the right of the path to the main gate of Cetus and entering the door while in Operator form. They ascend the Tenno Operators into Warrior Operators and provide them with an Amp, a special modular weapon that can channel and enhance their Void Beams to deal more damage.

GENERAL INFO

The Teralyst Eidolon bossfight is probably one of the hardest content in Warframe so far, so it is highly recommended to tackle it with a full squad of four Tenno, all piloting well-modded Warframes, armed with the best Amps they can afford and wielding high-damaging primary weapons. If rifle-type weapons which rely on many low-damage shots to deal damage are used (such as Soma Prime or Supra), ammo refills should be brought due to the length of the fight. Alternatively, shotgun-type weapons which rely on few high-damage shots to deal damage can be used (like Tigris Prime or Opticor). It is not advisable to bring Kubrows or Kavats as they will not be able to deal damage to the Teralyst and will die easily. If you have access to the Archwing Launchers, it is highly advisable to craft them because the ability to fly will let you find the Teralyst more quickly as well as dodge its attacks more easily as some of them have slight homing abilities and others seem to be landslam AOEs. Another thing you should keep in mind is that during the night, stepping into any water, even shallow water, will deal damage and inflict the Magnetic debuff so it is best to avoid water entirely. It seems that the Teralyst shields are affected by the Shield Disruption aura but this may be a bug.

As for Warframes, a Trinity could be highly useful for her powerful healing and energy regeneration, and a Rhino could improve your squad's survivability as well by serving as a tank, especially combined with a taunt build such as the Guardian Derision mod. Crowd control frames like Banshee and Equinox could be effective agaisnst the Vomvalysts. Novas could be highly useful due to their wide array of abilities including crowd control and damage. A Frost's ability to create Snow Globes could be very handy for creating cover for your squad to shoot from.

It is entirely possible to fight the Eidolons, including the Teralysts, with a basic unmodified Amp and even slay them, but in the case of the Teralyst there is a time limit on the bossfight in the form of sunrise. If the Teralyst is not slain by the time the sun starts rising, the Teralyst will despawn alongside all the other Eidolons, and in my experience it is not hard for the fight to be drawn out to this extent if not properly prepared.

VOMVALYSTS

Small hovering Eidolon drones that spawn en masse in the Plains at night, especially around a Teralyst. They attack all Tenno on sight and can be lured in with the hackable Eidolon Lure drones found in certain Grineer mini-camps. They have two forms, and in their usual form they can be hurt by any Warframe weapon or ability as well as Operator Void Beams. Their second form is characterized by their entire body glowing bright blue and while in it they can only be damaged by an Operator's Void Beam (normal Void Beams will work but Amps deal more damage). They are not challenging on their own but they have strength in numbers and their ability to change forms can be disorienting. They seem to have an unknown chance to drop Sentient Cores, possibly of different qualities. The two tactics at your disposal for slaying them are to fire at them in Warframe form and finish them off by switching to Operator form, or by fighting them entirely in Operator form. It is probably only a matter of preference.

During the Teralyst's bossfight, the Vomvalysts have an additional role besides supporting the massive Eidolon with their own firepower. After the Teralysts's blue "shield" bar has been depleted, if they are nearby they will fire a glowing strand of blue energy at it and regenerate it, which can be a major hassle as it forces you to damage it again and they can repeat the regeneration indefinitely. They seem to only start doing this in the Teralyst's second phase. Killing them all does not seem to be a feasible solution to this problem since they seem to respawn indefinitely in the Plains at night. It seems that the only way to permanently disable this is to use an Eidolon Lure. If you have more info on this please post it.

TERALYSTS

Towering Eidolon bosses resembling giant mecha kaiju that spawn one per instance in the Plains at night, accompanied by a host of Vomvalysts. They will ignore the Tenno at first unless they get too close or attack. They are fought in several phases and can easily cause Tenno deaths with their overwhelming firepower. Their main health bar consists of a large yellow "armor" bar and small blue "shield" bar.  Each phase, the blue bar needs to be stripped away in Operator form before they can be properly damaged by Warframe weapons and abilities and move on to the next phase. Each time a phase is completed and a Synovia is destroyed, the yellow bar seems to be incrementally decreased, and they presumably die when it reaches 0. They possess an unknown amount of highly damaging attacks, most or all of which seem to be AOE. It is unknown whether they unlock more attacks as the phases go on.

At the start of a phase, they are invulnerable to damage from Warframe weapons and abilities, and they can only be damaged with the Operator Void Beams (normal Void Beams will work but Amps deal more damage) until the blue-tinted "shield" part of their health bar is fully depleted, which will initiate the second half of a phase. In my experience, with the basic unmodified Amps this is a rather slow affair and it is best to have a full squad of four Tenno all wielding Amps to achieve this in the shortest amount of time with the least casualties. It is possible we are meant to farm the Vomvalysts for Sentient Cores in order to upgrade our Amps before trying to engage the Teralysts, but I believe it is possible to beat the first phase at least with the basic unmodified Amps as well.

In the second half of a phase, they become invulnerable to all damage except in four areas called Teralyst Synovias, one on each arm and one on each kneecap, all of which have their own healthbar. Some of my squad members reported seeing a fifth Synovia on the head but I didn't, so this still needs to be confirmed. The healthbar is vulnerable to both Warframe weapons and Operator Void Beams. In my latest run, a player in the squad called DeathStalker1337 noticed that during the first phase, Operator Void Beams seemed to be doing more damage than weapons, but in the second phase weapons were doing more damage. It is possible that the Teralyst becomes less resistant to weapons as more Synovias are destroyed. After a Synovia is destroyed, in its place is a swirling orb of blue energy which doesn't seem to be of any importance. After a Synovia's health bar is depleted, the next phase will start. In my experience, these health bars are rather large, and it is probably advisable to again have a full squad of four Tenno and also for all of them to be wielding powerful and well-modded weapons.

After the first phase ends, the leader of the Quills speaks and instructs the Tenno to back away as the Teralyst unleashes an expanding wave of energy that seems to deal enough damage to one-hit kill any Warframe. The Teralyst then dissapears and the squad has to explore the map to find and engage it again. It is recommended for squad members to spread out across the map and waypoint the Teralyst when they found it so the others can regroup at that location as well. Presumably the phases repeat like this a fixed amount of times until all the Synovias are destroyed and the yellow bar is fully depleted, at which point the Teralyst presumably dies and drops its unknown loot (which would mean the Teralyst has four phases, or five if there's a head Synovia). However, me and my squads did not yet manage to beat the second phase (destroy the second Synovia) in time before the sun rose and the Teralyst despawned, in part because we were still figuring out the mechanics of the fight and in part because of the Vomvalyst interference. I encourage all of you to try the Teralyst bossfight for yourself if you have all the requirements for unlocking the Quills syndicate and to try to hold out longer than we did, and to post your findings here so they can benefit other Tenno. I will also report any other findings I come across here. I hope this can help at least some Tenno with this exciting and challenging new bossfight.

Here's a video guide on how to kill a teralyst.

the head is indeed one of the weakpoints to and can also be damaged while the other 4 are still active - but we never managed to destroy it before the others are gone and also at a certain point, no further damage seem to be able to be inflicted... so it might be a bug in one way or the other.

also, we had two cases where we went in with a lot of lures (2 or 3 on each player) and at a certain point the lures used their ray (the one they use to suck up the little buggers ghost-form) an the eidolon, which in turn stopped moving (still attacking though). most of the time though, that did not happen but the lures helps a lot when the big one breaking down (after both elbows and knies are destroyed) and the small ones swarms in to repair not only its shield but the hitpoints as well.

the shield disruptor does work well against the shield (bug or no bug), as might the CP too - though, the numbers i saw are rather unclear about this.