Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Too many weapons feel useless in Poe due to range

CarrotSalad

Everytime i setup to go to poe i have a huge issue picking an appropriate weapon because most of my favourites are'nt viable. Due to them having huge limitation in either range, projectile speed or ammo. Or All.

This is especially true for beam weapons even with range mods on them. Taking such weapons means i cant even clear some mission objectives because i cant even get in range of the ships and enemies.

I could get around this by switching to archwing but they've put a resource grind into the archwing launcher. which means its not a viable option.

4 minutes ago, CarrotSalad said:

Everytime i setup to go to poe i have a huge issue picking an appropriate weapon because most of my favourites are'nt viable. Due to them having huge limitation in either range, projectile speed or ammo. Or All.

This is especially true for beam weapons even with range mods on them. Taking such weapons means i cant even clear some mission objectives because i cant even get in range of the ships and enemies.

I could get around this by switching to archwing but they've put a resource grind into the archwing launcher. which means its not a viable option.

I've already made the x50 archwing launchers twice. It's really not that bad. I would like the ability to make more, and to not have to use one every single time I want to go from ground to air. Like using one per time I'm in PoE would be way better, and allowing me to just remount my archwing where I leave it.

Edited by JSharpie

Yeah, I've noticed this quite a bit, especially since many of our most powerful weapons are shotguns and melee. Non-hitscan weapons are harder to use due to the ranges encountered in the Plains but are still viable. You'd also be surprised how powerful hitscan pistols can be. It's nice to snipe dropships with Lex Prime every once and a while.

10 minutes ago, CarrotSalad said:

I haven't tried Archwing yet, as my clan is still building the thingie, but from what I'm reading about what it takes to even use it on the Plains, I agree with you.

But regarding weapons, it's unfortunate that your favs are unsuited to PoE...but there are around 350 different weapons available. There MUST be a couple that you can tolerate and will work well enough to be used out there. I agree that it sucks to be essentially forced off your preferred weapons by a Dev decision. But since it is what it is, try some of the other 330 or -40 that are out there. Who knows, you might find one that works for you. (Protip: The Vaykor Hek shotgun -especially when Forma'd and modded- snipes and one-shots very nicely.)

I'm hoping that the Venus open world they are planning as shorter sight lines. Not sure what kind of terrain they are going to use but since the Venus tileset is tundra/arctic, perhaps there could be spires of ice and vast caves beneath glaciers or mountains. Plains of Eidolon feels really flat, thus the use of snipers and other long-ranged weapons is required. If there were more obstacles to reduce sight lines, enemies would be forced to get closer and you would get to use shorter range weapons as a result.

Honestly I don't really mind. My fav weapons are/were sybaris and tigris. Now I'm mainly using sniper rifles when running PoE. The only reason I had to use a sniper before was on required sorties, now I'm using them on PoE and really enjoying.  

I think it's just a matter of adapting to the new map we have. We have an incredible variety of weapons, and we are supposed to be those awesome space ninjas who can use them all. Some weapons will be more suitable to a specific type of map.

Take care! :)

Edited by GustavoRGG

Whats even the point of keeping these weapons if the environment and all future content renders then obsolete and useless? Even snipers were never a bad choice into enclosed missions. Even then we had melee to cover any shortfall a sniper would have. Theres no way a beam weapon can even be considered in this poe.

3 hours ago, GustavoRGG said:

Honestly I don't really mind. My fav weapons are/were sybaris and tigris. Now I'm mainly using sniper rifles when running PoE. The only reason I had to use a sniper before was on required sorties, now I'm using them on PoE and really enjoying.  

Yea, differences i dont like those 2 weapons. The weapons i've tried that i do enjoy have damage problems that morph into ammo problems after a few minutes of sustained attack. Im not asking for infinite range but i would hope they'd atleast have range to deal with one of those gunships when its flying right over my head. For now the only option is to think creative and do something ridiculous like wormhole onto one. But they're not always flying that low even for that.

3 hours ago, FierceRadiance said:

There MUST be a couple that you can tolerate and will work well enough to be used out there. I agree that it sucks to be essentially forced off your preferred weapons by a Dev decision. But since it is what it is, try some of the other 330 or -40 that are out there. Who knows, you might find one that works for you. (Protip: The Vaykor Hek shotgun -especially when Forma'd and modded- snipes and one-shots very nicely.)

There are a couple, but it gets boring cycling from lanka, supra and opticor all the time... I love my beam weapons and never go to a mission with atleast 1. They're only good for 20-30metres. The few auto and semi auto rifles i like that i have tried dont have the dps or ammo efficiency. Would love to get around it with cyclon, phage, dragkoon which are my most ammo efficient weapons but they have no range to deal with most enemies in poe.

Even the Soma runs dry of ammo after taking down 2x of those aerial bombers. Cant count on carrier because its pretty much gone from all the splash damage those aerial ships and mortars dish out.

A 3 minute cooldown on ammo stations doesnt help matters at all. Especially given that ammo stations are in thecenter of enemy activity and spawnzones.

1 hour ago, CarrotSalad said:

There are a couple, but it gets boring cycling from lanka, supra and opticor all the time... I love my beam weapons and never go to a mission with atleast 1. They're only good for 20-30metres. The few auto and semi auto rifles i like that i have tried dont have the dps or ammo efficiency. Would love to get around it with cyclon, phage, dragkoon which are my most ammo efficient weapons but they have no range to deal with most enemies in poe.

I was actually using the drakgoon out on the plains quite a bit yesterday and I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by its performance. With fomorian accelerant it could lob focused shoots quite accurately over long distances. And the bouncing projectiles made it surprisingly forgiving when lobbing shots at ground targets.

Mind you I wasn't doing the highest level bounties or eidolon hunting with it, as I was just leveling the thing up after some forma. So your mileage may vary, but don't write something off just because it seems like it shouldn't work that well on the plains.

I think its about time they jacked up projectile weapon speed by a factor of like 2000.  Supra should have like 650m/s base, then Terminal to make it even faster.  Bows should prolly be a little faster to.  Astilla, it has pretty good velocity, though it doesnt shoot straight, and needs to be realigned to the reticule. 

9 hours ago, Riot_Inducer said:

Mind you I wasn't doing the highest level bounties or eidolon hunting with it, as I was just leveling the thing up after some forma. So your mileage may vary, but don't write something off just because it seems like it shouldn't work that well on the plains.

Its okay at level 30ish after that it falls off very fast (i use 4 forma dragkoon). Allot of weapons do. My favourite weapons have issues in this map.

dera = damage/ammo
soma = damage/ammo
attica = damage
convectrix = range
Glaxion = range/damage/ammo
Quanta = projectile speed/range
phage = range
Flux = range
wraith strun = range

secura Dual cestra =  damage/ammo/recoil
aksomati = ammo
Cycron = range
spectra = ammo/damage/range

It's especially a problem when occupation missions prevents you from freely roaming outside a area means no way to deal with ranged mortars. Nor is there an option to roam outside to scavenge for ammo drops if your weapon is particularly hungry..

ramparts would be a great option but they are absolutely awful when it comes to thier damage potential on flying units. Not to mention aswell you're leaving yourself vulnerable to backstabs while using one. They are another thing that need a massive buff in poe.

22 hours ago, CarrotSalad said:

i dont like those 2 weapons

This could be your opportunity to broaden your horizons, then. Consider finding a sniper pistol to compliment your powerful short range weapons.

Personally, I am experimenting with the Arca Sisco right now.

23 hours ago, CarrotSalad said:

Even snipers were never a bad choice into enclosed missions

Man, if you're saying that you could bring a vectis into an infested sortie or something with a straight face, then disregard this we don't have much to talk about.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:49 PM, Teksorbkyva said:

I'm hoping that the Venus open world they are planning as shorter sight lines. Not sure what kind of terrain they are going to use but since the Venus tileset is tundra/arctic, perhaps there could be spires of ice and vast caves beneath glaciers or mountains. Plains of Eidolon feels really flat, thus the use of snipers and other long-ranged weapons is required. If there were more obstacles to reduce sight lines, enemies would be forced to get closer and you would get to use shorter range weapons as a result.

I'm triggered enough that Venus is an ice planet, please don't suggest that they don't correct that in the open world release

5 minutes ago, ShiraHagane said:

I'm triggered enough that Venus is an ice planet, please don't suggest that they don't correct that in the open world release

IKR... Terraforming or not, you can't just cool down a planet with an average temparature of more than 700K  (or 400°C) to an arctic trundra if it stays that close to the sun. IMHO the Mars and Venus tilesets need to be swapped.

37 minutes ago, Miburec said:

IKR... Terraforming or not, you can't just cool down a planet with an average temparature of more than 700K  (or 400°C) to an arctic trundra if it stays that close to the sun. IMHO the Mars and Venus tilesets need to be swapped.

especially because of how mountainous mars is, with Olympus Mons being the highest peak in the solar system iirc, it would match the background art of the ice planet very well