Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why don’t operators have long hair?

midtarget

The primary difference between 3d modelling programs and Warframe is that you have only a few milliseconds to draw a frame compared to hours in an animation.

Even in real time, you put all you have in your PC to render few strands of hair realistically it but in a video game? You cannot afford that. There's a reason hair for the most part is layers upon layers of clever tricks when used in game, shіt is expensive.

The issue that operators look what they look like is a completely different can of worms.

Edited by JuicyButthurt

21 hours ago, JuicyButthurt said:

The primary difference between 3d modelling programs and Warframe is that you have only a few milliseconds to draw a frame compared to hours in an animation.

Even in real time, you put all you have in your PC to render few strands of hair realistically it but in a video game? You cannot afford that. There's a reason hair for the most part is layers upon layers of clever tricks when used in game, shіt is expensive.

The issue that operators look what they look like is a completely different can of worms.

The program is also similarly used for gaming animations, and if that won't work, what a lot making the hair use the same physics as some of the syandyanas (Asa or udyat) 

Usually long hair is absent due to clipping issues, if not technical issues.

Though developers seem to insist on substituting God awful hair styles in their absence.  It's like a narcissistic fashion designer is always brought in to design hairstyles.  Except no one cares about the vision, they just want a full head of hair that looks good, not some weird tribal ponytail where the ONLY parts unshaven are the bangs and sideburns.

p3DoLtA.png

Left to right, top to bottom:

#1 doesn't exist in game. 

#2 exists in game, but looks horrible.  Bangs probably need to sit a little lower and hair needs to be less needle-straight.

#3 doesn't exist, probably because it's normal.

#4 doesn't exist in game, Lotus knows why.

#5 doesn't exist in game, probably because it looks like #8 and would be the more appreciable version.

#6 exists in game.  Looks great from the front.  Only from the front.  Would be saved by covering the shaven areas with long hair pulled back into the ponytail.

#7 exists in game.  Like #2, doesn't look quite as good as it implies it should here (and it ain't very promising here.)

#8 exists.  See #5 why this one sucks.  Side drape + bowl cut is just not popular or attractive.  Bowl cuts have never been attractive by the way.

#9 exists in game, except the dreads are all tied back.

Img4.jpg

#1 doesn't exist in game.

#2 exists, looks a little silly but otherwise okay.

#3 exists, seems a bit thin?

#4 doesn't exist, probably because it'd generate so many Sephiroth clones Stalker would have to be released as an actual Excalibur skin or it'd be a huge chunk of missed profits.

#5 exists in game.  A great hairstyle with a shaven area.  Hard to pull that off.

#6 Exists in game.  Hit or miss with this one.

#7 Exists in game.  I think this is actually cool, but not for my character, and most people won't touch it.

#8 Does not exist in game.  F*** knows why.

Seriously, there's a reason most girl operators I see have the long-bangs full head of hair (not pictured here.)  It actually looks nice from all angles.

Edited by Littleman88

In game development, there are many things that are considered difficult. The three things that are at the TIP TOP of that list are as follows:

1. Realistic Water
  2. Realistic Hair
  3. Realistic Cloth

These things are notoriously hard to make look good. There are numerous workarounds, but they're all limited in what they can do. That's why so many games have characters with short, bound, or hidden hair. Or games with fake physics, where the cloth on a character is actually part of their walk cycle rather than actual physics. So on, so forth. Also clipping.

28 minutes ago, -MortisThorne- said:

@PsychedelicSnakeThey got the water down imo! all of the plains water either looks super pretty and clear to me, or super pretty and hard to see through sometimes, just like in real life! xD It all just looks so smooth, I almost wish I could put myself in-game and hop into it myself 

Eh... the water is a texture.  Honestly it's really poorly implemented.  No rolling waves, no foam on the shore, freaking vegetation grows down into it...  It's a very basic (and poorly studied) implementation of water.  But then we're not logging in to stare at the special effects of water lapping gently against a shore line.

Rolling waves has been a thing since the N64.  Mind, Waveracers was exactly what it says on the tin - a racing game on the water.

Edited by Littleman88

11 minutes ago, Littleman88 said:

Eh... the water is a texture.  Honestly it's really poorly implemented.  No rolling waves, no foam on the shore, freaking vegetation grows down into it...  It's a very basic (and poorly studied) implementation of water.  But then we're not logging in to stare at the special effects of water lapping gently against a shore line.

Mind, rolling waves was a thing since the N64.  Mind, Waveracers was exactly what it says on the tin - a racing game on the water.

This is DE's first real attempt on interact-able water, you're judging a bit to harshly for them doing something almost completely new to them. I don't really think how long a type of animation was a thing matters, it all depends on the animators themselves. GTA5 has incredible water, but Rockstar is a MASSIVE developer and they had more than plenty funds and animators to work on it for years, that doesn't mean a game like Warframe will have the same resources or talents. ;/ Not to mention, the water is there solely for fishing, if there were any larger waves or sea-foam, it could seriously disrupt it ;p

Edited by -MortisThorne-

6 minutes ago, -MortisThorne- said:

This is DE's first real attempt on interact-able water, you're judging a bit to harshly for them doing something almost completely new to them. I don't really think how long a type of animation was a thing matters, it all depends on the animators themselves. GTA5 has incredible water, but Rockstar is a MASSIVE developer and they had more than plenty funds and animators to work on it for years, that doesn't mean a game like Warframe will have the same resources or talents. ;/ Not to mention, the water is there solely for fishing, if there were any larger waves or sea-foam, it could seriously disrupt it ;p

I'm not judging harshly at all, and by now developers should know a thing or two about decent water effects.  We're not reinventing the wheel here.  The N64 - a 20 year old console - featured games with better water.  DE were also involved in the development of games with water volumes before.  At the very least, I do expect sea foam.

There's literally no excuse outside of it being a design choice, but the current state suggests more in the way of rushed or lazy implementation than it does intentional minimalism.

Developers get no quarter when they're open to profit from their customer base.

1 hour ago, TheBrsrkr said:

Hair is really, really hard to animate, and isn't really worth the cost in Warframe. How often do you really use your operator, and how much time do you spend looking at the hair during a run? Waste of time and money I say. 

All the time cause of focus 2.0 and not wearing a full cover helmet.

9 minutes ago, Sinanju0608 said:

I'd say from a lore perspective, the operator suit hoods are designed to fit around the head but if they had longer hair, then it would get a jumbled up inside the hood, so they keep their hair short to allow ease of hood wearing.

But gameplay wise, it's different head models. There's barely anyone out that that doesn't have the hood down, even the people that highly despise operators and call their existence a false one.

4 minutes ago, SurrealEdge said:

But gameplay wise, it's different head models. There's barely anyone out that that doesn't have the hood down, even the people that highly despise operators and call their existence a false one.

Uh I don't think what you're saying changes anything about what I said? Even if next to nobody keeps the hood up when playing the game, that doesn't change the fact that in terms of lore, the operators would want to keep their hair short.

2 minutes ago, Sinanju0608 said:

Uh I don't think what you're saying changes anything about what I said? Even if next to nobody keeps the hood up when playing the game, that doesn't change the fact that in terms of lore, the operators would want to keep their hair short.

From a lore standpoint, it's one thing, but when the dev team have mentioned that fashion frame is end game, I'd expect to see more choices.

We even have some semblance of other hair styles in the comic for Chains of Harrow, Rell's mother and another tenno, both having long hair.