Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus "3.0": Revamp to better incentivize Operator + Warframe gameplay

Synpai

25 minutes ago, (PS4)IrSchm33 said:

My thoughts on this are, that players should have every skill in every tree and have used them for a decent amount of hours before posting about reworks or complaints.

Sigh...It's fine that you like the system as is, it's a valid critique and perspective, but it's shadowed by your assumption that myself or others who are unhappy with the system don't have every tree unlocked nor hours using them (equally by the assumption that we have not the intelligence to know how to use them with frames). PC Tenno have been with the system longer, for a frame of reference, I had every school maxed at the time of making this post almost a year ago now (didn't even realize until looking).

I don't understand how what I've suggested takes away the set reward aspect. If anything it just extends it to a new goal post, which is bound to happen one way or another.

41 minutes ago, (PS4)IrSchm33 said:

With that said I wouldn't want to give up the current vazarin, zenurik, or unairu. I find every skill in them useful and have found impressive and intelligent ways to mix them with my frames to have more fun in the current system on low-end or high-end missions. 

At this point, it begs the question if you're just offering your opinion about the system, or reflecting on the changes that I've suggested seeing as how at the very least the self-revive mechanic and regeneration of revival charges in vazarin are objectively a heck of an improvement over what Vazarin offers currently; something that makes the school not completely reliant on playing coop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BaronKreight said:

It sounds like you change your playstyle specifically to fit focus system use in there. It should be the other way around. Focus should complement the way people play and be convinient to use. Apparently people don't think this is the case right now. DE had best intentions but realisation is kinda meh.

thank you for this comment because with it I can clearly see the problem. 

You are right I did have to advance my play styles to fit focus in to all of them.

I personally believe all players should be able to adapt in this way how I have. But I can see your point as they should not have to be forced to adapt to something they are not used to.

I dread the day focus becomes really useful because focus farm is the thing I hate the most in the entire game. Either you farm in a very specific (and mindnumbingly boring) way and get decent amount or through general gameplay and get next to nothing. Not to mention that you have to pick between using the same weapon over and over and gaining focus or gaining mastery and leveling weapons.

DE has to really rethink the whole lens system and focus acquisition before changing focus further. Personally I think the lens system is worthless and should merely serve as passive supplement to focus gain. Instead focus abilities should be made more useful and active operator use in combat should reward large amount of focus, but for that they'd need to make them useful from the start and not after you have half the trees maxed out.

Edited by LocoWithGun

1 hour ago, LocoWithGun said:

I dread the day focus becomes really useful because focus farm is the thing I hate the most in the entire game. Either you farm in a very specific (and mindnumbingly boring) way and get decent amount or through general gameplay and get next to nothing. Not to mention that you have to pick between using the same weapon over and over and gaining focus or gaining mastery and leveling weapons.

DE has to really rethink the whole lens system and focus acquisition before changing focus further. Personally I think the lens system is worthless and should merely serve as passive supplement to focus gain. Instead focus abilities should be made more useful and active operator use in combat should reward large amount of focus, but for that they'd need to make them useful from the start and not after you have half the trees maxed out.

I do think I brought up those points here as well in the overview. I understand your pain, hopefully this will inspire the change we need.

45 minutes ago, (PS4)FarCript said:

running tridolon really helped me max every school...i wouldn't say it was completely worth it 😞

I felt what you're feeling and even more so after getting all of the abilities and arcanes, you just...peak (maybe at 3x3 a night assuming everyone is at the same place)...progression past that point becomes a mind-aching amount of micromanagement with volt shields, void strikes, and rivens in some way shape or form (>=5x3 a night).

Much of this I've tried to remedy in this post through the forge, mutations/augments and such. Hopefully more improvements can be made especially after seeing Vox Solaris compared to the Quills.

You've some pretty good ideas for a Focus 3.0. Hopefully DE will use some of these. 🙂

Regarding Focus Lenses, they should be made removable, as Mods and Arcanes are. Before PoE, having them fixed had a reason from a business standpoint since Lenses were rarer and to be able to get four Lenses of the same school to craft a Greater Lens could take some time, which would make the option to buy fully built ones from the Market feasible to some players. As of now, having the lenses fixed to Warframes/Weapons only hinders player experience. I don’t think players are spending their Platinum on fully built Greater Lenses when regular Lenses are easier to get and Eidolon Lenses are the ones that give the most affinity; both types are obtainable via Bounties. Personally, I'm trying to max Vazarin and I limit myself to using the Warframe/Weapons that got Eidolon Vazarin Lenses installed. Making them removable would allow players to use the Warframe/Weapons they feel like instead of going for the ones that have the school they're aiming to get focus on.

Edited by (PS4)Fenrir_PR

1 minute ago, (PS4)Fenrir_PR said:

You've some pretty good ideas for a Focus 3.0. Hopefully DE will use some of these. 🙂

Regarding Focus Lenses, they should be made removable, as Mods and Arcanes are. Before PoE, having them fixed had a reason from a business standpoint since Lenses where rarer and to be able to get four lenses of the same school to craft a Greater Lens could take some time, which would make the option to buy from the Market fully built ones feasible to some players. As of now, having the lenses fixed to Warframes/Weapons only hinder player experience. I don’t think players are spending their Platinum on fully built Greater Lenses when regular Lenses are easier to get and Eidolon Lenses are the ones that give the most affinity; both types are obtainable via Bounties. Personally, I'm trying to max Vazarin and I limit myself to using the Warframe/Weapons that I got Eidolon Vazarin Lenses. Making them removable would allow players to use the Warframe/Weapons they feel like instead of going for the ones that have the school they're aiming to get focus on.

On 2017-11-10 at 6:53 AM, Synpai said:

PS: Lenses (Much like companion abilities/mods still dropping) are two steps back. Maybe with the changes to focus it’ll make lenses less of a hassle, but I know I, personally, like to control what school my focus goes to which ends up limiting what I can and cannot bring into missions I end up only bringing Naramon only lensed gear for example.

I feeeeeel the pain

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Xymos said:

Amazing post OP, too bad DE will keep focusing on unnecessary and half-baked stuff instead of seeing this.

Thank you :3, I do what I can to keep it alive, at the very least when the art is done they'll be aware of it, but discussions and such ensure that it will inevitably prevail.

Edited by Synpai

1 hour ago, ghandibots said:

What if said riven were to increase my kubrow's status chance by 200,000% and make it's bite turn vor into an ashen gas cloud of nox farts?

Short answer: no clue where you'd fit that sort of mod to begin with, companions are sold short by not having a weapon separate from their abilities and such but make a post about it so that I can respond properly and not derail if you're serious xD.

36 minutes ago, (XB1)GameNerd300 said:

I like this! I wish DE would consider this. It's really good!

Thank you! 😄 Will be updating with more soon. Plus the art that'll be finished eventually will obliterate focus 2.0 

On 2017-11-10 at 5:53 AM, Synpai said:

All schools create magnetize bubbles when enemies are Void Blasted (Note: Operator Magnetize Bubbles cause headshots);

Hmm. News to me.

Still, I don't think this is a strong enough incentive for me to actually try to employ strategies that use Void bubbles. Do you think having the Void status effect behavior vary between schools would be interesting? For example, Vazarin's Void Bubble could work as a small Trinity 1 and restore health when the target is damaged.

On 2018-11-30 at 2:46 PM, Ventura_Highway said:

Hmm. News to me.

Still, I don't think this is a strong enough incentive for me to actually try to employ strategies that use Void bubbles. Do you think having the Void status effect behavior vary between schools would be interesting? For example, Vazarin's Void Bubble could work as a small Trinity 1 and restore health when the target is damaged.

Kind of already do that, although it's on kills instead of damage. Below is the general description as well as Vazarin's kill skill in particular

Kill Skills: Triggered after killing enemies hit by Void Blast’s effect (As long as the magnetic effect lasts: ~5s). If allies kill enemies affected by void blast, it will provide a lesser effect or chance to trigger; allies must still fulfill the condition Madurai Example: if an ally kills a target affected by your void blast you will gain a fraction of a stack (or a 50%-75% chance to get a stack instead of guaranteed).

Kill Skills: Weapon kills on enemies affected by Void Blast, causes healing will-o-wisps to spawn [#] and seek players (range limited) each healing a split of %[#] enemy HP over [time].
NOTE: Ally weapon kills will convey a fraction (~1/4) of wisps.

Edited by Synpai

22 hours ago, Ventura_Highway said:

These are associated with Void Blast rather than the Bullet Attractor'd status effect though, no?

Ah, a little confused because you copied the note for the void blast, but you were mentioning the void status effect.

I think the bubbles could be one in the same, such that killing an enemy under the affect of Void Status (via amp) just activates kill skill with no requirement.

Since they're unlikely to have Void damage just outright ignore armor, I'd like to see the void status become this as it would likely benefit Sentient/Eidolon encounters as well.

Vazarin's kill skill used to be a heal pulse :thonk: I guess I changed it at some point to make it more "airy"

Part of me feels each school should have their own damage type buff. I.e: Madurai’s Bubble increases fire, Zenurik’s Electricity, etc, but maybe tying them in with kill skills is enticing enough.

That's where this note came in, but guess I suppose doing both was a valid option so that we aren't left kinda numb against higher level enemies.

I.e: Madurai burning the target with true damage over time on void status proc (from amp)
Zenurik chaining a true damage shock to nearby enemies on void status proc
etc.

Edited by Synpai