Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do we need? Infested pit fights in relays. Why?

ObviousLee

Resource gambling, the option to create your own custom companion piecemeal, and to incentivice a new and lucrative farming method for those who are fed up with spending hours upon hours of farming for little to no gain.Come to the relay, place your bets, Tenno.

Now, before the "that's inhumane" argument pops up, bear this in mind: We can beat cats to death with the heliocor(scan-hammer) for DNA. We shoot space dogs in the face and then destroy their homes for the purpose of stealing their embyronic offspring. We engage in genetic manipulation. These alone invalidate the "that's inhumane" argument, so that being said, next counter argument would be "but gambling is wrong". The purchasable mod packs for platinum say hello, and your motion is denied.

Now then, onto the meat and potatoes of the idea: You'd collect infested portions like limbs bodies so on so forth(think zaw infested companion modulation as a basis) and you assemble them with the helminth as the driving mind behind the body. You then take this twisted abombination and poke'ball it on up to take to the relays to participate in a special arena against other Tenno amalgamations of nastiness, in a battle for their wagered resources.

This. Could. Be. LUCRATIVE. Just IMAGINE the intensity of farming up all the necessary parts to make a winning monster, and walking away with a large haul of say 15 nitain that someone decided would be a good bet. This would add incentive to frequent the relays for reasons that don't involve going to syndicates, simulacrum, or Baro. We'd have a genuine REASON to be there as there'd not only be avid competition, but spectatorship as well. Thoughts? Thotts? Post feedback below, and be sure to contribute to the conversation as I'm eager to see what you all have to say!

Edit: couple things I've been discussing with a discord buddy are possible holes in the idea that could be exploited. So I figured I'd list them and their counters here and now to avoid making text walls relating to anyone else discussing said issues:

1: personal exploitation to effectively "gift" resources to other players, thus destroying a large portion of the games farming function for DE: to that end, no player control over the infested fighter. The reasons behind this are to prevent any form of afk for victory for the opposition, as well as any issues relating to lack of solid ping between client and the server which these events are hosted on. So the attacks and animations will be based on the parts used to create the fighter. As such, your only interaction is standing outside the arena and observing your fighter doing its thing just like any other casual observer who happens to be present.

2: inadequate resource comparisons such as player 1 betting 1k oxium and player 2 betting 200 salvage. Resources must be equal in type and amount, meaning if I'm betting 25 nitain, my opponent must be able to meet this bet and offer an ante to increase the bet.

3: superior fighter versus intentionally inferior fighter. Who remembers the old conclave rating system that was used to limit loadouts during missions to add some form of forced difficulty? Well what I'm thinking is something similar that applies to the parts utilized in the creation of your infested combatant. So for the sake of argument, if my fighter has an arena rating of 1k due to the sum of its parts, my opponent must be within a certain threshold of that rating in order to initiate any form of combat against me in the arena. this essentially adds brackets/tiers of parts that can be used to forge various twisted abominations while still maintaining a form of damage control in terms of unfair advantages between combatants.

4: No mods allowed on infested pit fighters. All stats are to be based on the parts that make up the creature, and not any mods that could be equipped, as then players who are able to farm these mods easily would have an inherent advantage over those who are just getting into the game or just getting into this section of the game.

4: Parts farmed through rep. Not gonna happen. All parts must be collected from excursions into infested territory and from infested units. This means players still need to go out and do infested missions, outbreaks and sorties, so on so forth. If anyone see's any issues, please list them and lets flesh it out. Pun intended.

Sincerely: O'Lee

Edited by ObviousLee

10 minutes ago, (Xbox One)TogetherTurtle said:

Sounds fun to me, but I don't know if it would fit into the theme of the relays. We could do the same thing but with corpus, and the gambling would make more sense there too. Kill walkers, build the perfect death machine, gamble against others, and walk away with all the Nitain or Kuva you could ask for.

Could be a solid alternative/side project to bring to the table. I'm not against it. I'm only going with the infestation mainly because it's my favorite faction in the game and I'd love to see them more focused on for once.

1 minute ago, ObviousLee said:

Could be a solid alternative/side project to bring to the table. I'm not against it. I'm only going with the infestation mainly because it's my favorite faction in the game and I'd love to see them more focused on for once.

completely agree, we need more focus on all the factions that aren't Grineer. 

Just now, (Xbox One)TogetherTurtle said:

completely agree, we need more focus on all the factions that aren't Grineer. 

Another thing to consider is the closest thing we have to a factional upgrade for the infestation in terms of weaponry are the sidegrade mutalist weapons. We have Wraith for Grineer, Vandal for Corpus, and Prime for Tenno. Lee wants him some Ancient infested weapons. MAKE MIRE GREAT...not again, just in general....with ANCIENT MIRE!

How would it work? Do the players actually control the Helminth Monstrosity (calling it HM from here on), or does it use an AI? If it uses an AI, can the HM get a upgraded AI, making it block (if it can block) more, or be more controlled? Will you be giving the HM orders if you don't control it, like pokemon? It sounds like a very complicated thing to make, and the argument "it's humane" will most likely go into fellow tenno's heads, no matter what they do themselves. However, it does sound like a step up from standing around in the orbiter being a part of the CANCER that is region chat.

21 hours ago, (PS4)XxDenyer143xX said:

How would it work? Do the players actually control the Helminth Monstrosity (calling it HM from here on), or does it use an AI? If it uses an AI, can the HM get a upgraded AI, making it block (if it can block) more, or be more controlled? Will you be giving the HM orders if you don't control it, like pokemon? It sounds like a very complicated thing to make, and the argument "it's humane" will most likely go into fellow tenno's heads, no matter what they do themselves. However, it does sound like a step up from standing around in the orbiter being a part of the CANCER that is region chat.

I'm thinking something along the lines of pre-designated attack/block animations in relation to the parts used in the HM's makeup. and it would be automated, no player interaction would be allowed due to issues regarding exploitation and ping, as mentioned in the OP. The giving orders similar to pokemon seems interesting as well. I'm not against it, but how would we implement such a thing? Should move sets be linked to parts, would it be turn based, so on so forth. I feel that automation on the part of the monstrosity would be best, but we're open to discuss.

23 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

The giving orders similar to pokemon seems interesting as well. I'm not against it, but how would we implement such a thing? 

What I mean if like if i tell my HM "Be more defensive!' It would lower its attacks while making it block more. It would just seem to boring if it was a turn-based fight, so it'd probably be like the game, if you heard of it, digimon world next order.

24 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

I'm thinking something along the lines of pre-designated attack/block animations in relation to the parts used in the HM's makeup.

That sounds cool, seeing as it would be just like making a Zaw. However, I think that the parts should be weapons (contributes to how much attack damage the HM does), limbs (contributes to how fast the HM can move, and if it can do things like possibly jump or fly), and the brain (which contributes to, like you said, the designated attack/block animations, and possible attack/block chances, where a more controlled brain makes the HM block more while develop strategies based on its opponent, simple ones like dodging when the opponent HM does a certain attack, while a erratic brain makes the HM crazy and attack more often, whilst also forgetting to block for periods of time to even the whole fight).

I am all for this. 

As well as poker tables in our dojos and in the relays for betting credits and holding ducat or plat tournaments. FRFR.

and the tourneys could even be held by an npc. i would be ok with the npc taking a 1% rake of plat spent to enter tournaments. 

.. on both this idea and if we had poker tables. 

anything that would get players involved with eachother outside of the regular missions. 

this idea gets my vote. 

5 hours ago, (PS4)XxDenyer143xX said:

From what i've heard, 90% of all warframe players have or have had a frame that is infected with the Helminth virus. It's gotten crazy xD.

when I spoke to Steve on twitch during one of his sunday streams of yesteryear, he informed me thatHelminth only exists in "your" orbiter. It's unique to the player as a story driving element. Meaning that from your perspective, no other orbiter has Helminth, just yours. Just as your the one who went to lua and brought it out of the void, faced the stalker in your orbiter, saw the lotus and ballas. all the events only occurred to you, nobody else. you're the hero of the story in this aspect, so that's kinda the problem with this idea in all honesty.

Edited by ObviousLee

23 hours ago, PookieNumnums said:

I am all for this. 

As well as poker tables in our dojos and in the relays for betting credits and holding ducat or plat tournaments. FRFR.

and the tourneys could even be held by an npc. i would be ok with the npc taking a 1% rake of plat spent to enter tournaments. 

.. on both this idea and if we had poker tables. 

anything that would get players involved with eachother outside of the regular missions. 

this idea gets my vote. 

various card gambling would be interesting as well. you already dropped poker into the mix, what other suggestions would you toss out for gambling based card games? I'm only asking because I have zero experience in games like poker and the like.

We should be able to gamble resources not available for purchase in the market. Argon, kuva, nitain, and other such items. Perhaps credits? That would be pretty good I guess, let some of the credit millionaires piss away hundreds of thousands of credits if they can. A good sinking of rare resources and credits. 

You know, something DE tried with old oxium drop rates Zephyr, Sybear, and Hema because we have players with 4+ years worth of resource hoarding that have nothing to sink it into.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:03 PM, pikaseechu said:

We should be able to gamble resources not available for purchase in the market. Argon, kuva, nitain, and other such items. Perhaps credits? That would be pretty good I guess, let some of the credit millionaires piss away hundreds of thousands of credits if they can. A good sinking of rare resources and credits. 

You know, something DE tried with old oxium drop rates Zephyr, Sybear, and Hema because we have players with 4+ years worth of resource hoarding that have nothing to sink it into.

Interesting. So things like kuva and argon and the like, as well as nitain yes?

1 hour ago, Cryptix123 said:

So, you want to do Helminth Charger "dog" fights? Sounds interesting, though this probably belongs in fan concepts.

please don't liken it to dog fighting? Dogs at least have a positive loving side to them. Infestation has hate murder and kill, that's about it.

And no, I don't want helminth charger arena pit fights. Read the post again. It's quite clear that isn't the desire, at all.

Edited by ObviousLee

8 hours ago, ObviousLee said:

Interesting. So things like kuva and argon and the like, as well as nitain yes?

Yes. If resources and credits were the items for bidding and gambling, then it should be for stuff players cannot acquire in the market. 

If if we can acquire it in market as bundles or such then players shouldn’t gamble it purely due to the fact that they can grind it like everyone else or buy it.

On 13/1/2018 at 8:26 PM, (Xbox One)TogetherTurtle said:

Sounds fun to me, but I don't know if it would fit into the theme of the relays. We could do the same thing but with corpus, and the gambling would make more sense there too. Kill walkers, build the perfect death machine, gamble against others, and walk away with all the Nitain or Kuva you could ask for.

Could fit on Maroo's Bazar, as she's independent, likes making some fast cash and doesn't really care what the Lotus has to say, or anyone else for that matter.

I would like to see a card game what uses the frames you have with mod cards to lay out an attack, defense or support move.

I spent countless hours playing gvent in the witcher game i think i would love one here too.

Also what about squad based arena fights? You get into a squad and load into an arena. There you get 4 random fighters, decide with your team what arms and skills they should have and make them fight against another squads units.