Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx's """"Psychic Bolts""""

(PSN)LoisGordils

3 hours ago, CpTKugelHagel said:

perfect to unarm enemies because of the passive

The disarm is still a random chance thing, though.

I'd say give Psychic Bolts a 100% disarm, bam, that's more generally useful than any e.g. damage buff might be,
and it'd open the way to give Nyx a new, proper Passive, not something that's just part of all her abilities
and not least potentially bad if you actually want enemies shooting each other / your Absorb bubble,
or want to Mind Control that juicy Bombard that you just Chaos-stunned, but alas, also disarmed :(

Edited by NinjaZeku

14 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

It's pretty frequent. 

It's CC-lite to my mind. It's also a useful target designator since the 'bolts have a homing function. Not sure where enemies are hiding or deploying? Throw a salvo of 'bolts in the direction of concern. If there's anything out there, they'll hit it. Now you know where to expect company. 

10 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

It's pretty frequent. 

It's CC-lite to my mind. It's also a useful target designator since the 'bolts have a homing function. Not sure where enemies are hiding or deploying? Throw a salvo of 'bolts in the direction of concern. If there's anything out there, they'll hit it. Now you know where to expect company. 

Though casting Chaos makes every enemy in the vicinity stand up and go through that recoil animation, effectively making them pop out from their hiding spot and if they're hiding with another enemy, there will be gun fire afterwards. Not only that, Psychic Bolts is a CHANCE at disarming ONE enemy where as Chaos is a chance at disarming ALL enemies in range. And the wiki says Psychic Bolts require LoS for Nyx.

50 energy is kind of expensive for a simple "target marker" don't you think?

10 hours ago, (PS4)DBR87 said:

Though casting Chaos makes every enemy in the vicinity stand up and go through that recoil animation, effectively making them pop out from their hiding spot and if they're hiding with another enemy, there will be gun fire afterwards. Not only that, Psychic Bolts is a CHANCE at disarming ONE enemy where as Chaos is a chance at disarming ALL enemies in range. And the wiki says Psychic Bolts require LoS for Nyx.

50 energy is kind of expensive for a simple "target marker" don't you think?

No, and it doesn't work that way in practice. 

What you'll see is bolts fly up in the air, shift direction and then target enemies in the arc Nyx was facing. It will hit multiple enemies and it can disarm them--frequently. I have no clue of the exact percentage of disarms, but it's frequent enough to be very noticeable. Same with rad procs from the 'bolts and bleed effects. It's frequent. 

If there are no enemies in range, the 'bolts just sort of wander off and fade out. 

Builds vary of course, but with around 640 energy on tap and 160% efficiency, 50 energy is trivial. Nyx is a spam 'caster and PB is cheaper than Chaos, which I can spam continuously for a very long period of time. It's a non-issue, especially with Zenurik. 

PB isn't what you'd call the most useful ability and it's the least important of those Nyx has, but it does have some slight use. I've found this to be useful if I want to know enemies are approaching from what has been a quiet direction. You can use Chaos to see if enemies are relatively nearby (cast it and if you get timer, someone is in range), but PB will impact enemies in cover or approaching, which gives you an indicator where you might want to direct your attention. 

22 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

I'd say give Psychic Bolts a 100% disarm, bam, that's more generally useful than any e.g. damage buff might be,
and it'd open the way to give Nyx a new, proper Passive, not something that's just part of all her abilities
and not least potentially bad if you actually want enemies shooting each other / your Absorb bubble,
or want to Mind Control that juicy Bombard that you just Chaos-stunned, but alas, also disarmed :(

A 50 energy disarm is kinda steep when I could just use 50 and go hide for a minute a have a huge amount of enemies be killing each other.

Edited by (XB1)Demon Intellect

49 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Demon Intellect said:

A 50 energy disarm is kinda steep

Well, it was not least about removing the disarm bull**** from her other abilities which all lose effectiveness when that triggers. Like ...

51 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Demon Intellect said:

I could just use 50 and go hide for a minute a have a huge amount of enemies be killing each other

Uneven enemy damage vs effective Health scaling aside,
many of them will now be wielding itty bitty sticks and the like, which furthermore puts a damper on the whole killing thing :(

9 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Well, it was not least about removing the disarm bull**** from her other abilities which all lose effectiveness when that triggers. Like ...

Uneven enemy damage vs effective Health scaling aside,
many of them will now be wielding itty bitty sticks and the like, which furthermore puts a damper on the whole killing thing :(

Well it's more for just general crowd control. I mean I don't really think people use lokis irradiating disarm to get enemies to kill each other.

2 hours ago, Biddion said:

I use PB with augment for most rescue missions. Without the augment, the ability is lackluster. 

I've found the augment extremely lackluster. PB procs rad effects very frequently, enough so there's little utility in using the augment, especially considering the existence of much more useful ones like Mind Freak and Assimilate. Those two are potentially game changing augments for Nyx. Pacifying Bolts is not. It's simply slightly better than the unaugmented ability. 

On 1/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, Sloan441 said:

Builds vary of course, but with around 640 energy on tap and 160% efficiency, 50 energy is trivial. Nyx is a spam 'caster and PB is cheaper than Chaos, which I can spam continuously for a very long period of time. It's a non-issue, especially with Zenurik. 

I love when people try to argue using the best case or nearly the best case scenario to justify their position.

14 minutes ago, JarodDempsey said:

I love when people try to argue using the best case or nearly the best case scenario to justify their position.

What you like or don't like is immaterial. 

The Flow/Primed Flow efficiency build is pretty much a Nyx staple. You can do other things with her, but at heart she's a spam build and that means efficiency. There's Zenurik, of course, but even there more efficiency means more capability.

Primed flow is better of course, but Nyx got along fine for years with Flow before PF came on the scene. It didn't change the fundamental build strategy; it's just more energy, more better. I've seen plenty of other builds that go on to full 175% efficiency, but it really isn't necessary (and requires another mod slot or the Arcane Vespa helm). 

Simple as that. 

6 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

I've found the augment extremely lackluster. PB procs rad effects very frequently, enough so there's little utility in using the augment, especially considering the existence of much more useful ones like Mind Freak and Assimilate. Those two are potentially game changing augments for Nyx. Pacifying Bolts is not. It's simply slightly better than the unaugmented ability. 

Why would you even use assimilate in a rescue? I am stating that the ability and augment has uses, with an example. The ability is cheap to spam, allows to go swiftly through the level, and I find the augment does help since you can still be targeted without it.

17 hours ago, Biddion said:

Why would you even use assimilate in a rescue? I am stating that the ability and augment has uses, with an example. The ability is cheap to spam, allows to go swiftly through the level, and I find the augment does help since you can still be targeted without it.

Depends what I run into. Assimilate to me is mostly an emergency tool. If I'm running pell mell around a corner and suddenly encounter two bombards, three scorches, and a pack of kavats with hag, yeah, I'm in the bubble. It also would allow for a revive of a teammate while under fire. Or if I run out of ammo while under fire. Or I need to hack a cell while under fire. 

What you posit is a use of the ability and mod, but, again, PB works almost as well without the mod. Also, enemies will still target you if you get too close. Just the nature of the effect. That and I'll be using Chaos more regardless, since it's a superior ability in every way but energy cost--and I can maintain it for a very long period of time, so that argument is a non-starter.  

Nyx has a certain degree of slop when choosing ability augments. She has 1 to 3 slots open for creativity, depending on how you build for survivabilty. I just feel there are far better options than this particular augment.