Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are you guys for real?

Glavenusaur

So using the word the trap regardless of context can get you warnings here in the forums and banned on in game chat for who knows how long, but when you start opening this can of worms, where do you stop? what if i identify as a dragon and people generalising others as "people" offends me, censoring curse words and the like is fine, but this is ridiculous as almost any words, put together can cause offence to someone, somewhere in the world. what do you guys think?

I think they are more upset with your reaction to your ban than anything. I think it is stupid that we live in such "sensitive" times as well, but I know to at least keep my trap shut when possibly hurting someone's actual feelings. Also, Region Chat is NOT the place to go to quote memes anyway. Good chance the bot will catch you there anyway.

10 minutes ago, Glavenusaur said:

censoring curse words and the like is fine

Actually, it's not.  Censorship is the devil, and it's a terribly slippery slope.  If it weren't an actual slippery slope, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

EDIT:

Just now, Zzaarreell said:

I think they are more upset with your reaction to your ban than anything. I think it is stupid that we live in such "sensitive" times as well, but I know to at least keep my trap shut when possibly hurting someone's actual feelings. Also, Region Chat is NOT the place to go to quote memes anyway. Good chance the bot will catch you there anyway.

Just now, Zzaarreell said:

keep my trap shut

In before ban.

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

a67.png

Seriously though, it needs to end. The forums, and game chat, are no place to have any discussions like these. The rules are no different than other games: that type of chat is not welcomed and you are expected to be mature enough to understand that. No one is asking you to kiss anyone's &#!. We're saying leave that talk out of the game and out of here because we want to relax with some farming and destroying nameless npcs. We don't want to get into political or social issues. Just stop.

the thread you made an hour ago got removed....now you make a new one, with a different name.

they removed the thread for a reason...several in fact I'm sure and the word "trap" was not the reason.

I am starting to think moderators, ban policies and chat rules are not the problem here.

Also, if you had calmly explained to them first that it was simply a meme and not how you felt about the subject, they probably would have understood, but from what they replied with in the original post, you didn't seem to understand what was wrong with what you said. Again, this is why you should at least be careful with what you say in the "Region" chat that a possible thousands of people can see. There is a reason Pepe the Frog is seen as a hate symbol by the Media now...

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Incorrect.

I posted in that same thread with proof.

Type into region, "How much standing is it for Kinetic Siphon Traps?"

You don't get banned. 

/thread

I've got a warning from a moderator here on chat, simply quoting "admiral akbar" without any intent what-so-ever to offend anyone of any kind, and i can assure you i'm not the only one, for people to even receive warnings for a word that can be multi contextual without any hateful origins is stupid in and off itself, and is definitely a slippery slope as i'm sure most can understand.

8 minutes ago, Babellon said:

the thread you made an hour ago got removed....now you make a new one, with a different name.

they removed the thread for a reason...several in fact I'm sure and the word "trap" was not the reason.

I am starting to think moderators, ban policies and chat rules are not the problem here.

That wasn't me but this is definitely in regards to that thread as i did take part in that discussion also, most of what the OP in that thread was probably just him trolling but his point on being penalised for words like traps is definitely valid.

Edited by Glavenusaur

9 minutes ago, Zzaarreell said:

The point is why i should even be banned for something like this, i don't see myself doing anything wrong at all, you claim only people use region chat, what about those that identify themselves as dragons or somesuch? should we start tip toeing around every word just because someone somewhere can be offended by it? think about it.

1 minute ago, Glavenusaur said:

That wasn't me but this is definitely in regards to that thread as i did take part in that discussion also, most of what the OP in that thread was probably just his point on being penalised for words like traps is definitely valid.

I agree. It is in fact unfair to be banned, restricted or otherwise moderated for words that are not offensive. 

Lets make a list of words in line with the problem we are experiencing, submit that list to DE and ask that they add that to the exceptions list to insure we do not get banned for words like "trap", "arc", "wing"....but also allow for their moderation policies to do their job, which is to protect younger viewers and insure civil and appropriate discourse between people of all ages, ethnicities, religious backgrounds and orientations.

Just now, Glavenusaur said:

The point is why i should even be banned for something like this, i don't see myself doing anything wrong at all, you claim only people use region chat, what about those that identify themselves as dragons or somesuch? should we start tip toeing around every word just because someone somewhere can be offended by it? think about it.

No, but you should understand that shouting something rude in a megaphone is a lot different than telling to friends who trust and understand your viewpoints. I have a friend a work and we exchange rude insults to each other, but we wouldn't dare say it on the street for fear of being accused of hate speech.

1 minute ago, Zzaarreell said:

No, but you should understand that shouting something rude in a megaphone is a lot different than telling to friends who trust and understand your viewpoints. I have a friend a work and we exchange rude insults to each other, but we wouldn't dare say it on the street for fear of being accused of hate speech.

I regards to obvious words, yes, but have you ever experienced someone reacting in public when using the word the trap regardless of context? cause i can definitely tell you that i haven't.

4 minutes ago, Babellon said:

I agree. It is in fact unfair to be banned, restricted or otherwise moderated for words that are not offensive. 

Lets make a list of words in line with the problem we are experiencing, submit that list to DE and ask that they add that to the exceptions list to insure we do not get banned for words like "trap", "arc", "wing"....but also allow for their moderation policies to do their job, which is to protect younger viewers and insure civil and appropriate discourse between people of all ages, ethnicities, religious backgrounds and orientations.

But doesnt that seem just silly to you? except for obvious words that naturally have negative connotations regardless of context, why should we even have to let them know that "trap" is not an offensive word in and of itself, and should we keep having to contact them whenever someone popularises a new word to be offended by? that's ridiculous dude...

18 minutes ago, Glavenusaur said:

I've got a warning from a moderator here on chat, simply quoting "admiral akbar" without any intent what-so-ever to offend anyone of any kind, and i can assure you i'm not the only one, for people to even receive warnings for a word that can be multi contextual without any hateful origins is stupid in and off itself, and is definitely a slippery slope as i'm sure most can understand.

I think the underlying issue is you do nothing but troll on these forums, so I'm not surprised you've received warnings for it.

I'll repeat though in case you missed it.

I asked how much standing for the Kinetic Siphon Trap in region and didn't get banned. I'm sure a passing moderator can easily find the hidden thread and proof I posted. If not I'll pm it to you later when I'm not at work.

Hell, I used the word trap in the hidden thread and didn't get a warning? Why?

Because trap is not actually a ban word in and of itself.

That fact alone refutes this entire thread.

/thread

Edited by DeMonkey

1 minute ago, Glavenusaur said:

But doesnt that seem just silly to you? except for obvious words that naturally have negative connotations regardless of context, why should we even have to let them know that "trap" is not an offensive word in and of itself, and should we keep having to contact them whenever someone popularises a new word to be offended by? that's ridiculous dude...

It is, but this is the society we live in now. People can get charged with a felony for "migendering someone" in states like California. I just do my best to not be a jerk to random people as most people are trusting of strangers and don't go out of their way to intentionally hurt others. Though there a few groups that are exceptions and I will not discuss THOSE here...

Sadly, the number of people who actually offended by this sort of talk are a rather small percentage and you likely never meet one in real life (you know, that yellow orb that hangs outside your window...). I personally the people who DO claim to be offended on places like Tumblr and Twitter, are simply doing it for attention or a sense of self-validation. I'm not saying ALL of them are but most just seem to want to feel superior and feel like they matter. Sadly, that how most people feel when their actions or lives seem to go unappreciated by those around them, especially strangers. Some people simply want be noticed, at any cost.

Okay. I'm done. I'm checking out of this discussion before I tick off any mods myself.

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I think the underlying issue is you do nothing but troll on these forums, so I'm not surprised you've received warnings for it.

I'll repeat though in case you missed it.

I asked how much standing for the Kinetic Siphon Trap in region and didn't get banned. I'm sure a passing moderator can easily find the hidden thread and proof I posted. If not I'll pm it to you later when I'm not at work.

Hell, I used the word trap in the hidden thread and didn't get a warning? Why?

Because trap is not actually a ban word in and of itself.

That fact alone refutes this entire topic.

/thread

As i have stated, using the word trap REGARDLESS of its context shouldn't results in bans or warnings of any kind, and before you ask, no this is not one of those "troll" posts, there aren't really any more topics that i can think of to troll with, but this genuinely is a concern with how the words like trap can get you banned.

Might get a warning for this but take the OP with a grain of salt. They have admitted in the past of purposely trolling the forums. 

Nothing to see here folks.

Edit: simply typing trap does NOT trigger the bot.

Edited by Kjahla81